Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: An interesting/depressing discovery about Fan Costumes '06
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:02 am 

(Hey guys, it's been a long 13 years, huh? :-D )

So an interesting titbit about one of the Fan Costumes videos; there was someone who was responsible for a costume seen only on the website's "thumbnail" image for that video who has actually not been credited on the Homestar Runner Wiki's page for it.

This was a guy called Nik, going by @omelettecounty on Twitter. He'd mention a few times on there that he was actually the person in I believe Fan Costumes '06's "secret" costume of Homestar, intending to make a list of all the weird places around the internet that he popped up in. He even posted his own video of doing a Homestar impression whilst in the costume, talking through a large, flappy costume mouth; shot way more recent than 2006 as the quality wasn't potato-ish. And incidentally, he'd once again catch official notice from Homestar Runner as the Strong Bad Twitter replied to a drawing he made of Strong Bad kicking Homestar.

I followed this guy on Twitter and we'd interact positively with each other quite a bit. But as you may already know, @omelettecounty Nik has long since been outed as being a sexual predator. This naturally caused him to nuke all of his online presence (for the most part...), including his Twitter and the Tweet that @StrongBadActual engaged with in the first place.

So when it comes to verifying that he indeed unfortunately contributed to a tiny part of Homestar Runner history for the Homestar Runner Wiki's page on the video, we're in an awkward position. Though an account can get deleted on Twitter, searching the handle alongside whatever keywords you want can still come up with Tweets that interacted with the account. This has let me find this conversation where it's pretty clear that the context was Nik talking about his official Homestar Runner costume, to which someone's surprised at this factoid and also talks about Homestar Halloween costumes. I'm not sure if you're able to retrieve the URL of the parent deleted @omelettecounty Tweet, so that would've been very helpful in conjunction with this next part.

The other way I can think of to retrieve an @omelettecounty Tweet that proves he was the person in costume is by using the Wayback Machine. Searching his handle into archived URLs shows many of his Tweets, but it's many, many, MANY of his Tweets that you'd also have to click on the individual archivings of. So it's possible there's an archived Tweet we could use, preferably the one with the video of the costume, but we'd have to dig deep. And from the ones I've looked through so far, most of them only retain the text code of the page itself.

Post subject: Re: An interesting/depressing discovery about Fan Costumes '
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:15 am 

Uh... Yikes.