Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:39 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:48 pm 
Offline
Lechable Robot Mod
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:50 pm
Posts: 2859
Location: In the Nerd Hole
Okay, I'm bringing this topic back for a bit because I'm getting tired of sending PMs to people whose signatures are too big, especially those who have been here long enough to know the rules (you know who you are).

So, just to reiterate, all images, text, quotes, links, everything in your signature, has to total 100 pixels in height or less. That means that if you have a banner that is 100 pixels tall, that's all you can put in there. No more. If you want a banner and a line of text, the banner can only be 80 pixels tall to account for the extra space taken up by the text.

Here's a guide, helpfully provided by Phlip, that shows the maximum size for all signatures.

Image

If anyone is unclear about the rules, please post your questions here. Otherwise, resize your signatures (by which I mean resizing banners, removing text and links, and the like).

Thanks.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Is it?
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:46 pm
Posts: 4582
Location: hanging sideways
Does my line of text (which is set in small font) make my signature exceed the limits?

_________________
Ath-a-late wrote:
The Experimental Film wrote:
extremejon09 wrote:
I see you haven't played Twilight Princess. Why is that?

I got to the water dungeon thing and got bored.

WOW. You just lost the very little respect I had left for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it?
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 6:05 am
Posts: 5636
Location: swirlee.org for great justice
The Experimental Film wrote:
Does my line of text (which is set in small font) make my signature exceed the limits?


You can answer this yourself by reading MHG's post. It's not that complicated. Does your entire signature fit inside her box *cough*? Obviously, no, it doesn't. So it's too big.

Here's another way to think about it: If you have a banner in your signature which is 500x100 (such as yours, TEF), then your banner alone takes up all the space you've got. Any text or images in addition to that, no matter what size, mean you've exceeded the limit.

_________________
StrongCanada wrote:
Jordan, you are THE SUCK at kissing! YAY! Just thought you should know! Rainbows! Sunshine!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Gah.
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:46 pm
Posts: 4582
Location: hanging sideways
Bah. It's just that MHG herself told Tor that he didn't have to worry about his banner, since the mods were making "small exceptions"...

I'll go change it.

_________________
Ath-a-late wrote:
The Experimental Film wrote:
extremejon09 wrote:
I see you haven't played Twilight Princess. Why is that?

I got to the water dungeon thing and got bored.

WOW. You just lost the very little respect I had left for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 10:36 pm
Posts: 4328
Location: The island. Where and when that is I cannot say...
We're not making exceptions anymore.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:53 am 
Offline
Lechable Robot Mod
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:50 pm
Posts: 2859
Location: In the Nerd Hole
Dark Grapefruit wrote:
We're not making exceptions anymore.


'Tis true, TEF. Small exceptions for some people = many other people breaking the rules. So, sorry, but it's crackdown time.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:07 am
Posts: 414
Location: Middlesbrough, UK
Yay, were finally doing something about the sigs that belong to people who know their sig is over the limit. What annoyed me was when someone has a banner with a height of 100 pixels, and has like an extra 3 lines of text...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:27 am 
Offline
Lechable Robot Mod
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:50 pm
Posts: 2859
Location: In the Nerd Hole
Rainer, not Rainier wrote:
What annoyed me was when someone has a banner with a height of 100 pixels, and has like an extra 3 lines of text...


That's exactly what bothers me most, too, Rainer. Now let's just hope everyone complies. Sending out PMs really is a pain in the neck.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:07 am
Posts: 414
Location: Middlesbrough, UK
This reminds me of those TAC (road safety organisation thing) ads, where they would have someone being caught by the police for being over the blood alcohol limit, and that person would say something like "Yeah, but I'm only a little bit over, right?", and this voiceover guy would say at the end "Only a little bit over? You bloody idiot.", referencing that even 5 km/h over the speed limit can be a lot less safer, and also that only a little bit over the blood alcohol limit is unacceptable. That should be our slogan for oversized sigs![/sortofofftopicpost]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Um...
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:46 pm
Posts: 4582
Location: hanging sideways
Rainer wrote:
This reminds me of those TAC (road safety organisation thing) ads, where they would have someone being caught by the police for being over the blood alcohol limit, and that person would say something like "Yeah, but I'm only a little bit over, right?", and this voiceover guy would say at the end "Only a little bit over? You bloody idiot.", referencing that even 5 km/h over the speed limit can be a lot less safer, and also that only a little bit over the blood alcohol limit is unacceptable. That should be our slogan for oversized sigs![/sortofofftopicpost]


Uh... okay. Somehow I can't see MHG calling a sig-inflator a "bloody idiot". Maybe more of a "banned fool".

_________________
Ath-a-late wrote:
The Experimental Film wrote:
extremejon09 wrote:
I see you haven't played Twilight Princess. Why is that?

I got to the water dungeon thing and got bored.

WOW. You just lost the very little respect I had left for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:07 am
Posts: 3370
Location: San Diego Zoo
Whew...I'm glad that was all sorted out. Now my sig is under the limit.

I'm really beginning to like this rule.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:57 pm 
Offline
Lechable Robot Mod
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:50 pm
Posts: 2859
Location: In the Nerd Hole
Thanks for changing yours, iKi.

Now, everyone else, you know who you are! Get resizing! The admins have the power to change your image for you if you don't do it yourself, you know. And no one likes that.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 10:55 am
Posts: 2732
Location: Caring a lot
MHG was planning to go insane on you guys who don't change their sigs soon, and she still might, so if you don't like insane MHG, (I like it on toast, but I don't have any now) comply!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 11:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:03 pm
Posts: 6188
Location: In my house with my two kids, Bulldozer and topofsm.
And MHG isn't lechable when she's insane....

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um...
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 1:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:07 am
Posts: 414
Location: Middlesbrough, UK
The Experimental Film wrote:
Uh... okay. Somehow I can't see MHG calling a sig-inflator a "bloody idiot". Maybe more of a "banned fool".


Yeah.

But I wasn't really serious.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:58 pm 
Offline
Lechable Robot Mod
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:50 pm
Posts: 2859
Location: In the Nerd Hole
Lunar Jesty wrote:
MHG was planning to go insane on you guys who don't change their sigs soon, and she still might, so if you don't like insane MHG, (I like it on toast, but I don't have any now) comply!


It's true! It's true! I can feel the screws loosening already. Because I'm a robot, that is.

So, please, everyone, check your sigs, and if you're even one pixel over the limit, please resize it. If you don't know how, ask someone who does. Quotes take up a lot of space, too - about 50 pixels for a one-line quote, so keep that in mind. And don't forget about the width limit (500 pixels). The only exception to the width limit is if you have a quote in your sig (which will not, of course, cause your sig to be too tall) - quote boxes always stretch to the edge of the screen. And that's okay.
Also, please don't forget about the file size limit - the max for sigs is 65kB. Okay? Okay.

Please fix 'em, guys, if you don't want me to go nuts. Or cry. I'm a robot, remember, so if I cry, I get all rusty. And that makes MHG mad. MHG SMASH!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 6:05 am
Posts: 5636
Location: swirlee.org for great justice
The Shoppy of Om wrote:
And MHG isn't lechable when she's insane....


That's really a matter of taste...

_________________
StrongCanada wrote:
Jordan, you are THE SUCK at kissing! YAY! Just thought you should know! Rainbows! Sunshine!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:03 pm
Posts: 6188
Location: In my house with my two kids, Bulldozer and topofsm.
I'm just trying to motivate people.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 6:05 am
Posts: 5636
Location: swirlee.org for great justice
The Shoppy of Om wrote:
I'm just trying to motivate people.


So I got a thing for crazy girls. You got a problem with that? ARGLBLBLBLBLBLBLBBL!

Er. 'Scuse.

_________________
StrongCanada wrote:
Jordan, you are THE SUCK at kissing! YAY! Just thought you should know! Rainbows! Sunshine!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:33 am
Posts: 14288
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
The Shoppy of Om wrote:
And MHG isn't lechable when she's insane....
Says you! The crazyer, the better.

I don't know why, but whenever I look at my sig, I keep thinking that it's too tall, even though it's only 100 pixs high. You mods are making me go paranoid! Freakazoid!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:25 pm
Posts: 1740
Location: :noitacoL
It looks taller than usual because it's so skinny. I dunno, why. It just does.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:12 pm 
Offline
Lechable Robot Mod
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:50 pm
Posts: 2859
Location: In the Nerd Hole
Okay, I didn't want to have to do this, but I'm sending out a bunch of PMs today. My apologies to those who get a PM but have already changed their sig; I'm working off a list I made last week. And if you don't get one today, that doesn't necessarily mean you're off the hook. It means that I got tired of doing it, and will continue tomorrow. So check your PMs for the next couple of days, guys.

Another reason you might not have gotten one: I don't know what the crap your name is. Please save me the extra step and change your names back, kids.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Whew...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:46 pm
Posts: 4582
Location: hanging sideways
Whew... I didn't get one. That's a relief.

How many pixels is one line of text, again?

_________________
Ath-a-late wrote:
The Experimental Film wrote:
extremejon09 wrote:
I see you haven't played Twilight Princess. Why is that?

I got to the water dungeon thing and got bored.

WOW. You just lost the very little respect I had left for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Whew...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 6:05 am
Posts: 5636
Location: swirlee.org for great justice
The Experimental Film wrote:
How many pixels is one line of text, again?


That really depends on a lot of factors (it can be different for everybody), but you can assume one line of normal-sized text is going to take up 14 pixels vertically.

_________________
StrongCanada wrote:
Jordan, you are THE SUCK at kissing! YAY! Just thought you should know! Rainbows! Sunshine!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:08 pm 
Offline
Lechable Robot Mod
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:50 pm
Posts: 2859
Location: In the Nerd Hole
Stu said in his update to the rules that one line is 20px, which I think is a good guideline. An 80px banner plus one line of text = grood.

Thanks to everyone who's changed their sig upon receiving my PM, and for those of you who've ignored it, I know who you are.

So, in closing, check your PMs if you haven't gotten one yet - I had a few squeak by me before, so I sent out some more today.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 6:05 am
Posts: 5636
Location: swirlee.org for great justice
ModestlyHotGirl wrote:
Stu said in his update to the rules that one line is 20px, which I think is a good guideline.


Oops, my bad. Stick with what Stu said.

_________________
StrongCanada wrote:
Jordan, you are THE SUCK at kissing! YAY! Just thought you should know! Rainbows! Sunshine!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: A'ight.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:46 pm
Posts: 4582
Location: hanging sideways
A'ight. I can do that. Off to resize my banner!

_________________
Ath-a-late wrote:
The Experimental Film wrote:
extremejon09 wrote:
I see you haven't played Twilight Princess. Why is that?

I got to the water dungeon thing and got bored.

WOW. You just lost the very little respect I had left for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:10 am
Posts: 677
Location: Australia
One line of text in the normal size is 18 pixels high.
Quotes, code and different sized text all complicate matters though, so if you use any of them then measure it yourself.

_________________
<link rel="signature" type="text/hilarious" href="/signature.txt" />


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Velly nice.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:46 pm
Posts: 4582
Location: hanging sideways
Very nice sig idea, Phlip. Good jorb!

I decided not to resize my banner, just linked it to my explanation instead.

_________________
Ath-a-late wrote:
The Experimental Film wrote:
extremejon09 wrote:
I see you haven't played Twilight Princess. Why is that?

I got to the water dungeon thing and got bored.

WOW. You just lost the very little respect I had left for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:10 am
Posts: 14278
Location: Behind Blue Eyes
InterruptorJones wrote:
The Shoppy of Om wrote:
I'm just trying to motivate people.


So I got a thing for crazy girls. You got a problem with that? ARGLBLBLBLBLBLBLBBL!

Er. 'Scuse.
ROTFL!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group