Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Adobe Flash Player End of Life (2021)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:37 pm 

Boy it's been years since I've posted here. Something quite nostalgic with old phpBB Forums ...

Anyways, as I'm sure many of you know: Adobe will no longer be supporting Flash Player after December 31, 2020 and Adobe will block Flash content from running in Flash Player beginning January 12, 2021.

So the big question: What happens to https://homestarrunner.com/ ? The site is still using Adobe Flash Player.

Will the site no longer be functional on January 12, 2021? Or will it just be that Flash Player can't be installed anymore?

I've accepted a long time ago that the Brothers Chap will only seldomly update, and all their updates are going to YouTube. But what about the main website!? I have a Son now, and I want him to be able to experience Homestar Runner in its original Flash Form when he's old enough to appreciate it (including all the Games and Easter Eggs). I'm quite fearful though that the Website will simply just be inaccessible :((

I've seen nothing from the Brothers Chap about updating the website to HTML5. Probably would require a lot of work that just isn't worth the time for them I suppose.

Anyone here have any information on this subject?

Post subject: Re: Adobe Flash Player End of Life (2021)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:54 am 

The only info I have is something I don't even know for sure I heard/read, let alone where. Maybe a Youtube comment. Maybe one of Strong Bad's tweets. I wouldn't be able to find it in my history- I'd have to check each related page of my history very thoroughly.

Here it is. Take it with several shakes of salt.

It seems that The Brothers Chaps were in the middle of converting the site to HTML5. I think the context in which I read it, was something like- "since they're moving to HTML5 will they now update Stinkoman just before the change?" I don't know where they may have heard that or if it's even correct.

I don't understand HTML5 at all, but I suspect there may be a limited conversion capability/compatibility. Kind of like a flash decompiler tool, some way that Flash and HTML5 can be at least partially mapped.
Strong Bad did post a tweet suggesting some way to archive, and someone else responded with a tool that archives flash to be available on the Wayback Machine, or something like that. It's called the Ruffle Project. So your son will be able to see it in its original form.
https://twitter.com/StrongBadActual/sta ... 6710002692

I think from what I've heard the site will no longer be functional in the flash form, like Adobe's just disabling it across all computers that it can access. I have some old ones that don't have internet access that I could watch on.

Ever since about 2006 or 2007, when playing Flash through browser or independent flash player, it would start slowing down through a toon over the course of 1-2 minutes until it was about 3-5 frames per second, then suddenly speed back up to normal, then slow down again in cycles. Maybe some sort of "buffering". Getting a brand spanking new top of the line computer later on didn't help- still jerky.