Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Learning any foreign languages? (redux)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:48 pm 

furrykef wrote:
Jitka wrote:
Noid: Tu madre.

Do be aware this is a very severe insult in Latin America and you should not use it there unless you want a broken jaw. It's no problem here, of course; I'm just giving you the heads-up because I don't want you to get a broken jaw one day for a silly reason. :)

Don't worry, I knew that from the stories my high school Spanish teacher would tell from when she went to Spain. I'm not CRAZY. :mrgreen:

Incidentally, I think this is apropos for this thread.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:53 pm 

Lunar Jesty wrote:
In Latinam Duam sum. (That's not quite correct, but close enough.)

Yeah, I think you need the ablative there. "In Latina Dua" maybe?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:18 pm 

Dans Canada, tout les personnes doivent apprendre le francais dans l'ecole.
Yes, I realize that this sentence is missing the appropriate accents entirely.
No, I don't care.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:34 pm 

furrykef wrote:
Lunar Jesty wrote:
In Latinam Duam sum. (That's not quite correct, but close enough.)

Yeah, I think you need the ablative there. "In Latina Dua" maybe?

You are correct, and I swear that I know at least that much Latin in most cases.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:22 pm 

Jitka wrote:

I lol'd.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:39 pm 

Location: living in the sunling, loving in the moonlight, having a wonderful time.
I'm not presently learning any foreign language (coding aside), but I would just like to chime in saying that the collective modmin staff is able to speak fluent clannish. In fact, it is the native tongue of half our discussions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:18 pm 

Languages I'm currently attempting to learn, in order:

American Sign Language
Japanese
Spanish
Russian

All of which I'm currently horrible at.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:39 pm 

I wouldn't advise trying to take them on all at once, especially if you think you're doing horrible at them. At the very least, you need to prioritize. Make the language you're most interested in your primary interest.

The thing with languages is they're so massive. You don't realize how ridiculously huge language is until you learn a good deal of another one. I still don't even have complete mastery of basic Spanish vocabulary, although I do have some intermediate and advanced vocabulary as well. (It's one of the quirks of studying alone. Currently I'm trying to patch up the more glaring holes in my basic vocabulary... I think it was two days ago I learned the word for "closet"!)

- Kef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:41 pm 

furrykef wrote:
I wouldn't advise trying to take them on all at once, especially if you think you're doing horrible at them. At the very least, you need to prioritize. Make the language you're most interested in your primary interest.

Make me. :p ... ;)

I'm not in "serious study-mode" for any of them, so it really doesn't matter whether I'm horrible or not. They're just languages that I'm learning.

furrykef wrote:
You don't realize how ridiculously huge language is until--

Yes I do. I'm a writer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:54 pm 

I'm a writer too -- not by profession or anything, but my active vocabulary is above average and all that -- and I still didn't fully grasp how huge language is until fairly recently.

- Kef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:56 pm 

furrykef wrote:
I'm a writer too -- not by profession or anything, but my active vocabulary is above average and all that -- and I still didn't fully grasp how huge language is until fairly recently.

- Kef

Really? I guess I could understand that. It's easy to take things for granted when you seem to do it automatically.

English is fantastic. The slang alone makes me giggle in glee. I can't imagine what happens when you get beyond just the basics of a foreign language into THEIR slang.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:31 pm 

Yeah, I love English, though I tend to abuse it at times. I think I'm becoming better at it, though... a year or so ago I had this nasty habit of overusing parentheses and semicolons in less serious writing (LJ/forum posts, etc.), and I think my style has finally toned back down to something more normal.

I don't know terribly much about Spanish slang yet, though I know a few things. The most obvious example to me is "¿Qué onda?", which is used in Mexico as a rough equivalent of "What's up?", and it literally means something like "What wave?" (i.e., "What's the wave?").

Ordinary words and phrases can be illuminating, too. For instance, the Spanish word for anteater is "oso hormiguero" -- literally "anthill bear".

- Kef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:53 pm 

Location: Inside of a shirt,underwear,pants,shoes and under a hat
Right now, I'm still studying russian and italian full time. I study german and french whenever I get the chance. I dont study spanish all that much, although my definition of "very much" is probably different than the average person's.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody here had played the my spanish coach and my french coach games for DS. I have both, but I just feel that they are too formulaic and dont have a good teaching method. Furthermore, I've learned very little grammar. I just wanted to know if anybody has gotten far into the game, because I wanted to know if it gets better. I still maintain that they are decent vocabulary builders, but I doubt that they could "Make you fluent" as was the claim.

I might be heading back down to little odessa soon for another russian trip, and over the summer, I might actually go to russia. I wanted to go this week, for the new president's inaugural ceremony, but I have too much to do.

I still have done course selections for next year. I know I'll be taking italian, since I know italian more than any of my other foreign languages that they teach at the college I'll be going to (community college for 2 yrs). Then I'll transfer out to a college that teaches russian. All the while, I'll still be learning russian on my own.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:24 am 

Voglio imparare l'italiano :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:31 am 

Spanish helps in that venture. They're like cousins.

But the kind that dont like each other.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:59 am 

I know. One reason I don't really think I should learn Italian yet is that I might get my Spanish and Italian confused. I'm juuuust starting to get a firm footing in Spanish, and I don't think I should start Italian until that process is complete. And there are other reasons that I stated on the preceding page that I don't really want to start on it yet.

- Kef

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:00 am 
Pizza Pizza

bwave wrote:
Spanish helps in that venture. They're like cousins.

But the kind that dont like each other.

I remember going to an Italian opera when I was high school. I think it was Tosca. Anyways, I remember they put the words (in Italian) on this screen over the stage. I was able to figure out parts of it because spanish and italian are so similar.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:03 am 

Yeah, I can often work out bits of Italian, Portuguese, and sometimes French. Certainly not enough to form anything really coherent, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:11 pm 

This thread seems to keep dying. Am I really the only guy here who is passionate about languages?

Anyway, the other day I discovered lang-8.com, a site where you can post in your journal in any language and people can come along and post corrections. So if I make a post to my journal in Spanish, each sentence has a link you can click where you can revise what I said, complete with easy formatting to make your changes obvious. If you're learning a language, you should definitely check it out. :)

EDIT: Almost forgot! Here's my journal page there.

- Kef

Last edited by furrykef on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:14 pm 

Location: They're eating her! And then they're going to eat me! OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!
Well, i'm learning german. and maybe japanese afterward.

Est ist nicht mein Geburtstag, fraulein!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:20 pm 

I'm learning German [so taking German classes instead of Spanish in high school] through my music, and then maybe should take Spanish this coming year. Nohurtmekef, but I hate Spanish.

@Poopskin, it's Es ist nicht mein Geburstag, frau.
Est isn't a word, and they don't use fraulein anymore. They just say frau. [/germangrammarnazi]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:29 pm 

RammsteinRunner wrote:
Est isn't a word, and they don't use fraulein anymore. They just say frau. [/germangrammarnazi]

When you say that I think of Run Lola Run, where she's talking in bed with Manni. Have you seen that movie? I love the German language... it's so passionate.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:09 am 

やったぁ~~~!!

I just finished my kanji book. Now I'll be well-prepared to handle almost any kanji the Japanese language can throw at me. :3

- Kef

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:24 am 

I took six years of Spanish in high school. I'm decent, especially at reading, but I still can't understand natural speakers most of the time. I can't take it in college due to lack of time, which is a shame, so my formal education is over. Hopefully I don't just stop cold now. I also think it'd be cool to learn Japanese, since it as a language fascinates me and seems to make a lot more sense than English and Spanish do, but I don't want to try until I can speak fluent Spanish, which I doubt will ever happen.

Note: My favorite Spanish phrase is "chupa mantequilla de mi culo." Apparently that's extremely rude?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:30 am 

I tried getting into Japanese. I got as far as memorizing most of the unaccented hiragana. I guess I should finish that and move onto katakana. Does anyone know where to go next?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:28 am 

SnowyFox - well, you could always do what I do and make flash cards using Anki. What I do is I put an English sentence on one side and the Spanish sentence on the other, translating whole sentences at a time. (They should be relatively short sentences, though, and shouldn't use too much unfamiliar vocabulary or grammar at once.) Just open the program at least once a day and drill yourself and add new cards now and then. It doesn't take all that much effort and you'll ensure that your Spanish steadily improves even while you're not studying it in school. In fact, I've done much better studying Spanish on my own than I've ever done in school.

Quote:
as a language fascinates me and seems to make a lot more sense than English and Spanish do

I wouldn't say that. There's a lot of things in Japanese that are more logical than Spanish or English, but there's a lot of things that are less logical, too. And kanji is about the least logical writing system ever conceived, especially with what the Japanese have done to it. (In Chinese, the kanji -- they call 'em hanzi in Chinese -- can each be pronounced only one way with a handful of exceptions. In Japanese, almost every single kanji has two ways it can be pronounced, and many have more than that!)

Quote:
Note: My favorite Spanish phrase is "chupa mantequilla de mi culo." Apparently that's extremely rude?

It certainly doesn't sound very nice...

Mr. Sparkle wrote:
I tried getting into Japanese. I got as far as memorizing most of the unaccented hiragana. I guess I should finish that and move onto katakana. Does anyone know where to go next?

That's a good way to start, yes. What I did was I drilled myself on hiragana and katakana every time I needed something to do, and I'd usually test myself maybe once a night (less often once I got better at it). It's a bit of work, but it's not all that bad, and it's a walk in the park compared to kanji.

Once you got them down, there's all sorts of different approaches you can try, but most people would probably recommend you use a textbook like Genki or Japanese for Everyone. Me, I did Heisig's Remembering the Kanji to get the kanji out of the way, but that can take quite a while and you won't be learning any real vocabulary or grammar while you're doing it.

- Kef

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:59 pm 

Location: living in the sunling, loving in the moonlight, having a wonderful time.
SnowyFox wrote:

*chuckle* After throwing that through a translator, I can see why :p

I'm still al spanishy, but I'm done learning it now. I don't have any language requirements for my major at school, so anything I do from now on is on my own terms and for fun. I'll probably try and pick up at least German and Japanese eventually.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:25 pm 

furrykef wrote:
This thread seems to keep dying. Am I really the only guy here who is passionate about languages?

I am but my internet connection is down.

I just bought harry potter in russian and italian. And I found a russian tutor in town.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:32 am 

Location: They're eating her! And then they're going to eat me! OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!
does anyone know a website that can help me learn german?

(it can be just standard german, but a site that could help me learn multiple variants is best)

@johnathon: if fraulein isn't used anymore, why did we have to learn the word in languages? :S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:59 am 

In case you want to read books that were written before. Or in case you want to be rude.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next