Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8050 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:06 pm 

I am the only Acekirby to ever exist except for Poser Acekirby who somehow comes from Trinidad and Tobago

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:13 pm 

Acekirby wrote:
I am the only Acekirby to ever exist except for Poser Acekirby who somehow comes from Trinidad and Tobago

Don't lie. We all know that's where you REALLY live.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:39 am 

TheFacelessEvil wrote:
furrykef wrote:
Solution: use a nick like mine that nobody else could possibly ever use. :D

Same here! :)

Me too!

OK, not really....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:44 pm 

Current pet peeve: overprotective parents of small children. They look at me like I'm a demonic monstrosity. Seriously. I walk through the local park every so often, and there is always a group of parents with buggies and young children, and when I walk past, they watch me like I might devour their young. I'm not that evil, and I'm vegetarian anyway. Their younglings are safe for the moment. Wearing clothes from Camden is not a sign of a crazed killer.
At least it's not as bad as the vicar who crossed the road, passed me, and crossed back again afterwards. That was a strange afternoon.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:08 pm 

Pazoink wrote:
Current pet peeve: overprotective parents of small children. They look at me like I'm a demonic monstrosity. Seriously. I walk through the local park every so often, and there is always a group of parents with buggies and young children, and when I walk past, they watch me like I might devour their young. I'm not that evil, and I'm vegetarian anyway. Their younglings are safe for the moment. Wearing clothes from Camden is not a sign of a crazed killer.
At least it's not as bad as the vicar who crossed the road, passed me, and crossed back again afterwards. That was a strange afternoon.

Well, I used to get the same looks. That was back when I had my fro and beard, so it's understandable.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:16 pm 

ramrod wrote:
Well, I used to get the same looks. That was back when I had my fro and beard, so it's understandable.

Wait, was that the same guy who was in your sig holding up a sign that said 'great job, ramrod!'?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:20 pm 

BRING BACK THE FRO! BRING BACK THE FRO!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:40 pm 

Real Raamis wrote:
ramrod wrote:

Wait, was that the same guy who was in your sig holding up a sign that said 'great job, ramrod!'?

No, that was Soce. He's a gay hip-hop artist who happened to use this forum infrequently.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:49 pm 

I just realized how much I hate musical stereotypes. Not on the band, but the people who listen to 'em. So no more "Yeah, well go listen to you're Chidodoes... and Suicidal Tendencies" sorta comments. I get this a lot, when I say I listen to rock/metal, they think I listen to intense screamo/ emo punk etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:37 pm 

Location: oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Well dude you should at least stop listening to Marilyn Manson.

I mean come on.

Seriously?

Stop.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:45 pm 

Real Raamis wrote:
ramrod wrote:

Wasn't it grand?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:22 pm 

RammsteinRunner wrote:
BRING BACK THE FRO! BRING BACK THE FRO!

I am. I plan on growing it out again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:27 pm 

It really annoys me when I link something applicable in a forum topic, only to find out that it had been linked 8 or so pages earlier. Actually, that doesn't bother me; it bothers me when people make a point to show me my mistake.
Also, it annoys me when I post in RT only to be told that there is already a topic under which my post would be more applicable. I don't post in said applicable topic because of the previous pet peeve.
I know, I need to chill. Still, though...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:28 pm 

~Kupo~ wrote:
It really annoys me when I link something applicable in a forum topic, only to find out that it had been linked 8 or so pages earlier. Actually, that doesn't bother me; it bothers me when people make a point to show me my mistake.
Also, it annoys me when I post in RT only to be told that there is already a topic under which my post would be more applicable. I don't post in said applicable topic because of the previous pet peeve.

This made me smirk.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:31 pm 

~Kupo~ wrote:
Yes, you seriously do. It's no big deal--really. Really.

However, the reason why Random Thoughts was locked was because people needed to post items in the appropriate topics more, and make new topics for notable subjects. Just try to look around for some other threads to post information in. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:54 pm 

HHFOV wrote:
Well dude you should at least stop listening to Marilyn Manson.

I mean come on.

Seriously?

Stop.

Lol, seriously, I don't listen to Marilyn Manson. I just put his mug shot up as av/sig for lulz.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:05 am 

The humor. I don't see it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:42 pm 

Whenever somebody says a holocaust joke and somebody says "Hey, that's not funn, my grandpa died in a concentration camp". The person is then expected to say "Oh, how'd he die?" so you can make a Nazi joke.

Who would ask how a person died in a concentration camp? That's just stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:43 pm 

The Noid wrote:
Whenever somebody says a holocaust joke and somebody says "Hey, that's not funn, my grandpa died in a concentration camp". The person is then expected to say "Oh, how'd he die?" so you can make a Nazi joke.

Who would ask how a person died in a concentration camp? That's just stupid.

Interestingly enough: My brother does that joke alot, and people ALWAYS ask why/how his grandfather died in the camp. I have no idea why they do it, they just do, and it always sets him up for the joke.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:22 pm 

Location: Broken Arrow, OK, USA, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe
I am having trouble getting Firefox 3. I keep getting timeout and connection reset errors when attempting to access http://spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/. I expected it to be slow though.

I have Tweeted about it, and I plan to include it in an upcoming blog post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:31 pm 

Location: oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
You can get it from http://www.mozilla.com .

That worked fine for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:53 am 

woddfellow2 wrote:
I am having trouble getting Firefox 3. I keep getting timeout and connection reset errors when attempting to access http://spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/. I expected it to be slow though.

I have Tweeted about it, and I plan to include it in an upcoming blog post.

I see what you did there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:54 am 

Location: Broken Arrow, OK, USA, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe
What did I do there?

Anyway, I was eventually able to get it.

It had problems with YouTube at one point, but it has passed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:55 pm 

Here's a pet peeve: studying Japanese pronunciation is difficult. As far as making yourself understood goes, Japanese is probably one of the easiest languages to pronounce. But as far as making yourself sound native-like goes, it's probably fairly difficult (though I'm sure nowhere near as hard as, say, any variety of Chinese, where making yourself understood is hard enough).

Here's the big problem: Japanese has something called "pitch accent" (not to be confused with accents as in regional accents; we're not talking about New York tough guy voices versus Texas drawls here). You see, English and Western European languages have what's called a stress accent, where stress is distinguished by a combination of various cues such as making certain syllables louder, changing their pitch, making them longer, etc. In Japanese, it's the same except pitch is the only distinction; it's debatable whether loudness plays any role, and length plays no role at all (vowel length in Japanese has an entirely different function; long vowels are considered completely different sounds than short ones).

Now where this is important is that many words or phrases have a "peak" (what we would call the "stress" except it's just pitch) where you must drop the pitch. If you're not at these peaks, you must not change the pitch much, generally only rising enough that you can drop the pitch again. I'm going to use an accent mark to show where peaks go (the pitch drops after the marked syllable)... a sentence like 僕は猫です ("I am a cat") would be read as bóku wa néko désu. (In this case the peaks happen to match the way we'd say it in English, but that's just a coincidence.) So far so good?

The rules can be pretty confusing. For example, 漢字 is pronounced "kanji" and means "Chinese character", referring to the 2000+ Chinese characters used to write Japanese (as well as the characters used in China, etc.). This word is pronounced with flat intonation, with no peak. So "kanji is difficult" would be 漢字は難しい = kanji wa muzukashíi. However, the word "kanji" does have a peak when it occurs in compounds like 常用漢字 ("daily use kanji"; a list of 1945 standard characters), which is pronounced "Jooyoo kánji" (where "oo" is a long "o", not "oo" as in "boot").

But that's not really the peeve part. The peeve part is this: nobody cares about the accents. The native writing system does not mark for them. Most bilingual dictionaries don't mark for them. Most textbooks don't mark for them. It makes it rather difficult to figure out how to learn them, and you need to learn them to sound at all like a native. I bought a Japanese TTS voice, but it's imperfect (as all TTS voices are), and even if it weren't, it's hard to figure it out by ear sometimes. I usually need to know the correct pitch beforehand to hear the peaks correctly. And that's fine since that's how natives talk, but that doesn't help me learn where they go.

I do have resources to look up the pronunciations of words, but they can't have everything and they don't always help very much for figuring out the pitches in phrases, conjugated verbs, etc...

- Kef

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:02 pm 

You could always just buy a bunch of Japanese drama CDs. They do them all the time for manga 'n stuff, you can hear natural speaking like that. Or for something even more natural, watch their new broadcasts. 8D Regular hearing of normal talking should tune your ear to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:56 am 

Yeah, but knowing where the accent goes is a matter of vocabulary. If you learn 1000 words without knowing where the accent goes, you'll have to learn 1000 accent positions to get them all right. That makes learning the two separately very hard and will give you plenty of opportunities to make mistakes with words you're less familiar with.

- Kef

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:23 am 

PEEVE:
Most males. I mean the majority of the guys here are cool [well, maybe it's because almost all of you are males] but in my school [even though it's out] and such? ARG.

Moron male 1: I LIEK CHIKEN [at random points through class]
Moron male 2: I'MA HIT YOO [to random people for no reason]
Moron male 3: ELVIS LOVER! [to me just because I walked by]
Oh yeah, and on one of the last days of school, we had a trivia thing, and I wore a hat and shades to school as a part of my 'team's uniform, and Moron Three walks up and says, "YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO WEAR SUNGLASSES AND HATS AT SKOOL, [my name here]!!!" and first I said, "I don't care" and he did it again, so I said, "Does it look like I give a crap?" and then I just ignored him.

BlahhsahhgdufhgdbfhgbdjbdfbjdgdbdbjSTRANGLE.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:30 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:32 am 

Jitka wrote:
That's cruel.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:41 am 

RammsteinRunner wrote:
PEEVE:
Most males.

I'm not in that list, am I?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8050 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269  Next