Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1737 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: FOOTBALL!!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:44 pm 

StrongRad wrote:
Acekirby wrote:
Also there is a curse on the MVP award, I think. The past few years whoever won the MVP has not won the Super Bowl.

I was thinking about that. It's like the Heisman curse has moved to the NFL.

Marshall Faulk, Kurt Warner, Rich Gannon, Peyton Manning/Steve McNair, Peyton again, Shaun Alexander, LaDainian Tomlinson, Tom Brady.

All MVPs since 2000...and none of them won the Super Bowl the year they won this.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:56 pm 

You had to stop at 2000 because Kurt Warner won the MVP and the Super Bowl the previous year and before that if you won the MVP, there was a good chance that you were going to win the Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:25 am 

And there's also the dreaded Madden curse that affects everyone on the cover of the Madden game for the year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:29 am 

I despise myths. Like the now non-existent one that said "A team whose home stadium is a dome will never win a Super Bowl."

As for the Madden cover curse, did you happen to notice that Vince Young made the Playoffs this year, unlike last year, after being put on the cover of '08?

Also, stumbled across and posted in the stupiest Myspace group ever. These people are all idiots.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:57 am 

AbuGrape45 wrote:
As for the Madden cover curse, did you happen to notice that Vince Young made the Playoffs this year, unlike last year, after being put on the cover of '08?
Yeah but his numbers were horrible. He had only 2,456 yards, 9 TDs and 17 INTs.

And here is the rest

1999 - Garrison Hearst - Breaks ankle out until 2001
2000 - Barry Sanders - Sanders retires a week before the season.
2001 - Eddie George - Sets career lows for rushing yards, yards per carry and touchdowns. Career never the same afterwards.
2002 - Dante Culpepper - After setting career highs the previous season, Culpepper throws 13 INTs and 14 TD and suffers a season ending back injury in the Vikings 11th game.
2003 - Marshall Faulk - Suffers ankle injury and misses first 5 games. Team fails to make playoffs after Super Bowl run the previous year.
2004 - Michael Vick - Breaks leg in Preseason game plays only 5 games
2005 - Ray Lewis - Breaks arm while posting All-Pro numbers
2006 - Donovan McNabb - Suffers sports hernia and has season ending surgery
2007 - Shaun Alexander - Breaks bone in foot. Misses 6 games and fails to break 1,000 yards.
2008 - Vince Young and Luis Castillo(Spanish) - Vince Young: See above. Luis Castillo suffers ankle injury and misses 6 games.

So the curse is less along the lines of poor play as it is injuries. Some nasty one at that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:08 am 

Beyond the Grave wrote:
AbuGrape45 wrote:
Yeah but his numbers were horrible. He had only 2,456 yards, 9 TDs and 17 INTs.

And here is the rest

1999 - Garrison Hearst - Breaks ankle out until 2001
2000 - Barry Sanders - Sanders retires a week before the season.
2001 - Eddie George - Sets career lows for rushing yards, yards per carry and touchdowns. Career never the same afterwards.
2002 - Dante Culpepper - After setting career highs the previous season, Culpepper throws 13 INTs and 14 TD and suffers a season ending back injury in the Vikings 11th game.
2003 - Marshall Faulk - Suffers ankle injury and misses first 5 games. Team fails to make playoffs after Super Bowl run the previous year.
2004 - Michael Vick - Breaks leg in Preseason game plays only 5 games
2005 - Ray Lewis - Breaks arm while posting All-Pro numbers
2006 - Donovan McNabb - Suffers sports hernia and has season ending surgery
2007 - Shaun Alexander - Breaks bone in foot. Misses 6 games and fails to break 1,000 yards.
2008 - Vince Young and Luis Castillo(Spanish) - Vince Young: See above. Luis Castillo suffers ankle injury and misses 6 games.

So the curse is less along the lines of poor play as it is injuries. Some nasty one at that.

Exactly. I probably should've clarified that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:58 pm 

They should put Tom Brady on the next cover. :p

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:00 pm 

Beyond the Grave wrote:
They should put Tom Brady on the next cover. :p

And if they put the Super Bowl MVP on it instead?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:04 pm 

ramrod wrote:
Or they could put Romo on there...Nah, just have him hook up with another celebrity and invite her to every Cowboys game.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:53 pm 

I thoroughly enjoyed this article about the Patriot's defeat.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:51 pm 

Beyond the Grave wrote:
ramrod wrote:
Or they could put Romo on there...Nah, just have him hook up with another celebrity and invite her to every Cowboys game.

I wish I had my camera hooked up right now. Because right now, I'm mooning you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:43 pm 

ramrod wrote:
Beyond the Grave wrote:
ramrod wrote:

I wish I had my camera hooked up right now. Because right now, I'm mooning you.
When someone has to use resort to mooning or flipping the bird, it usually means that you got owned. And you know I'm right.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:06 pm 

Beyond the Grave wrote:
When someone has to use resort to mooning or flipping the bird, it usually means that you got owned. And you know I'm right.

At least I didn't resort to my original post of making fun of Eli's looks, by saying that he looks like the offspring of Terri Schiavo and the Elephant man, while Romo can score beauties like Ms. Simpson.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:15 pm 

ramrod wrote:
At least I didn't resort to my original post of making fun of Eli's looks, by saying that he looks like the offspring of Terri Schiavo and the Elephant man, while Romo can score beauties like Ms. Simpson.
All jealousy fillled because my QB won the Super Bowl while yours has choked twice in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:19 pm 

College Signing Day was yesterday. Alabama had the number 1 recruiting class according to Rivals.com and landed a top 5 player in Julio Jones. As far as UK goes, we got the number 1 player in the state in Aaron Boyd.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:34 pm 

Notre Dame was 2nd with three 5 star recruits and sixteen 4 star recruits. The 5 stars were all offensive players. Which is good because the Irish sucked on offense last year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:16 am 

racerx_is_alive wrote:

You must thoroughly enjoy total biased and crap writing then.

Honestly I'm seriously sick of people going "DURRR TEH PATS SOO COCKY! look THEY STARTED W/ TRICK PLAY WENT FOR IT ON 4 + 13"

Trick play was a good idea, usually teams won't expect it. And in a game where the Pats needed a good lead going for a 4th down was a good idea. It isn't cocky, it's having confidence in your record-setting offense to produce.

Quote:
"Come on, that cheating scandal to open the season and all they say is 'Everybody does it?' They could have at least acted a little bit sorry," said Milwaukee architect and sports fan David Engel. "They acted like a bunch of third-graders, just the way Belichick did when he ran off the field with time left on the clock. At least he shook the other coach's hand this time. That's a first for the big baby."

"The worst part for me is that none of them seem to enjoy playing football," said Lexington, KY-area mechanic Jack Colgrave. "Even when they were winning, all they did was taunt—Randy Moss taunting crowds, Wes Welker telling people they sucked, Brady sneering at the very idea they might get beat someday. What a bunch of absolutely perfect idiot."

"Did their team plane land safely back in Foxborough?" Colgrave asked. "It didn't happen to lose altitude over Boston, burst into a cartwheel of flames, throwing players like Roman candles across New England, and then slam into few dozen loudmouth Patriots' fans houses? It didn't? Well, I guess no football season is perfect."

^ Article completely lost all credibility with these quotes, because it's obvious none of these people know anything. Especially the last one. Wishing death upon countless people just because you don't like their football team? Get a life.

Now THIS was a good article.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:31 am 
Pizza Pizza

Acekirby wrote:
racerx_is_alive wrote:

You must thoroughly enjoy total biased and crap writing then.

Honestly I'm seriously sick of people going "DURRR TEH PATS SOO COCKY! look THEY STARTED W/ TRICK PLAY WENT FOR IT ON 4 + 13"

Trick play was a good idea, usually teams won't expect it. And in a game where the Pats needed a good lead going for a 4th down was a good idea. It isn't cocky, it's having confidence in your record-setting offense to produce.

Quote:
"Come on, that cheating scandal to open the season and all they say is 'Everybody does it?' They could have at least acted a little bit sorry," said Milwaukee architect and sports fan David Engel. "They acted like a bunch of third-graders, just the way Belichick did when he ran off the field with time left on the clock. At least he shook the other coach's hand this time. That's a first for the big baby."

"The worst part for me is that none of them seem to enjoy playing football," said Lexington, KY-area mechanic Jack Colgrave. "Even when they were winning, all they did was taunt—Randy Moss taunting crowds, Wes Welker telling people they sucked, Brady sneering at the very idea they might get beat someday. What a bunch of absolutely perfect idiot."

"Did their team plane land safely back in Foxborough?" Colgrave asked. "It didn't happen to lose altitude over Boston, burst into a cartwheel of flames, throwing players like Roman candles across New England, and then slam into few dozen loudmouth Patriots' fans houses? It didn't? Well, I guess no football season is perfect."

^ Article completely lost all credibility with these quotes, because it's obvious none of these people know anything. Especially the last one. Wishing death upon countless people just because you don't like their football team? Get a life.

Now THIS was a good article.

Well, the plane guy was from Lexington. They're the most obnoxious people in the state.
Trust me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:33 am 

Ace's Crap Article wrote:
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. So basically, we won."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:38 am 

Homeschool Winner wrote:
Ace's Crap Article wrote:
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. So basically, we won."

Really now. Stooping that low. I'm this close to just flat out calling you an idiot, and you don't seem to want to do much to prevent a conflict here.

Obviously you didn't get what they meant. By "winning" they meant they gained more from losing. If they had won they probably would have ended up being forever arrogant like the '72 Dolphins. Now they know they have faults and can fix them. Have you never heard the saying "you learn more from failure than from success"? Obviously not.

The entire quote, as I now see what you're trying to do by taking it out of context:
Quote:
"What is perfection without fault? Nothing. How can one be perfect without the knowledge and experience that comes with failure? One cannot," the statement read in part. "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. So basically, we won." The Patriots added that it is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness.

That last part was actually something we've been discussing in religion, in school.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:11 am 

Actually, while I didn't like the article as a whole, it did make some good points, points that the Patriots would improve on themselves by following. The only reason I didn't like that quote specifically is because of the way it said "we won", it sounded to me like something a really sore loser who couldn't let it go would say, and it sounded like it was trying to take away from the Giants' accomplishment. That might not be what the speaker meant at all, that's just how I read it.

As for the first article, I did like it as a whole, but I do agree that a lot of the quotes seemed to come from people who don't really understand football.

In conclusion, I love you Ace.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:56 pm 

Acekirby wrote:
The Patriots added that it is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness.
If the Patriots lit a small candle, then the Giants lit about 50 spotlights.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:10 pm 

Homeschool Winner wrote:
The only reason I didn't like that quote specifically is because of the way it said "we won", it sounded to me like something a really sore loser who couldn't let it go would say, and it sounded like it was trying to take away from the Giants' accomplishment..

Yeah, that definitely could've been said better. It could easily be taken the wrong way (I';m a Pats fan, and even I took it the wrong way the first read-through)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:54 am 

Can someone tell me who Castillo is? I heard he's the Spanish player on the cover of Madden 08.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:04 am 

The Cup of Coffee wrote:
Can someone tell me who Castillo is? I heard he's the Spanish player on the cover of Madden 08.
Click please.

Did you guys hear that HBO canceled Inside the NFL?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:05 am 

Beyond the Grave wrote:
The Cup of Coffee wrote:
Click please.

Did you guys hear that HBO canceled Inside the NFL?

Really? Any reason why?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:16 am 

ramrod wrote:
Really? Any reason why?
They felt that they couldn't compete with the NFL Network.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:39 am 

Beyond the Grave wrote:
ramrod wrote:
Really? Any reason why?
They felt that they couldn't compete with the NFL Network.

Well, I can see why. They're going against a whole channel strictly about Football.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:46 am 

ramrod wrote:
They're going against a whole channel strictly about Football.
Well Inside the NFL may be brought back if the fans complain enough.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:15 pm 
Pizza Pizza

Big news today.
The Packers have said that Favre has indicated he will retire.

While I'm very emo about this (I think only John Madden is more upset), I can't feel all bad. I'd rather see him go out the way he did than to see him fade away as a third string QB for the Bengals or something like that.

I suppose we'll see him as an analyst in the booth (or on the sidelines as a coach somewhere) very soon.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1737 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next