Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Let's all read the funnies!-Comic strips you like or dislike
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:25 am 

Yes, it's that thread where you post your feelings on any comic strip that was either created in the 20th century or is currently being printed on papers today.

Here are seven types of random comics I chose to give small fractions of a discussion on:

PEANUTS (The old classics):
These comics are the classics, the ones that made you laugh when times were tough, maybe not rib poking, laugh out loud, fall on the floor type of humor as jokes can only provide so much. Nonetheless, these are the old classics, the ones that got first bid on fresh ideas for comic strips, and sometimes these cartoonists have the most interesting of biographies, well, Schulz, being the very unhappy man he was. However, comics like these are simply dying out, and when new comics come in their place, it sometimes makes the funnies page a thing of the past, yet the old ones are archived, re-read, and remind us of how simple and humorous comics used to be.

Garfield (The sometimes unfunny, sometimes in their prime):
Yes, garfield is not what it was in the '90's, but with all things considered, most people probably adore the comic, and yes sometimes garfield is funny and sometimes not. We can always rely on these types of comics to really find new humor, sometimes outrageous humor, but when they fall they tend to fall hard, but I think this is only specifically with garfield, a lot of other comics are the average joe comics, still running in the paper and providing a goofy-typr of laugh. Such as 'pearls before swine', which are without a doubt, crazy, yet still give some sort of a laugh, a normal comic, no gem, but no lump of coal compared to its fellow rivals.

Dilbert (The sophisticated yet sometimes too much for a comic):
Comics, such as Dilbert, tend to give a laugh, but more of a subtle type of laugh, a rather snooty and most of the time the strips deal with office politics or non-office politics, whatever it may be, it is almost mistaken for the real news sometimes. They don't really dirty themselves with humor about some type of craziness or whatnot, they don't corn-it-up, simply make a joke on the sometimes dull side of life, sure politic related comics (Like Doonesbury) aren't always about politics that you have no interest on, politics currently seems to be interesting, but this is based on what I am guessing of the T.V. drenched, celebrity gossip covered, dirty stand-up comics framed, united states people. Still, they remind us what idiots some politicians can be today, in a funny matter, and how sme people of the current century can act so foolish.

F-Minus (The cruddy Newbs):
Now, these types of comics, I think are what comics today are becoming, simply jokes on situations people are in, randomness really, which is quite sad because they really make no attempt to crack a joke, at all, it is also new to the papers I think. Anyways, these types of comics most of the time confuse, and don't really try to make a complex joke, more of a 'this is a funny type of situation, so LAUGH! DARNIT, LAUGH!' joke, the only thing that I rather like about this comic is that its strips are always consistent with the name.

The Lockhorns (The Corny ones):
Jokes like these, always have a certain hardy laugh to it, may not always get the most mileage but is always bound to at least crack a smile once and again, corniness is not always the stuff that makes up Leno or Letterman, but it is mostly the root of a comic, where humor today came from. These samples of corniness are the embarassing old family photos of the history of comics, not always the first thing you want to read, but compared to what the people of newspapers will let on the funny pages today, is not necessarily bad. I found this one particularly worded the right way and actually got somewhat of an instant chuckle, one that powers up and quickly dissapears for the nature of these cartoons, yet still, everything like the lockhorns always has a certain charm.

For Better or For Worse (The ones that really shouldn't be on there):
Simple comics that either show some teenager or viking going on an adventure and facing danger so many umpteen times, or comics that simply are the soap operas of the page, the ones like 'For Better or For Worse' who simply show life, sometimes too sad, too serious, or too regular. These comics only have a certain amount of volume, and not to sound offensive or anything, they call it the 'funny pages' for a reason, and simply just belong compiled in their own book, like graphic novels. You can't really judge these comics based on their humor because they aim to have none, but rather by it's content, but sometimes, the content gets so formulaic or so much of the same that if you have read one, you've read them all, still, interesting to read once in a while...sort of.

Love is...(Comics that...ugh.)
[img]Couldn't%20find%20image%20that%20wasn't%20unnecessarily%20large,%20just%20use%20your%20imagination[/img]
If that's love, I may have to jump out a window, these are the types of comics that the people in charge of the funnies page's brains just went out for a stroll in the park, when they put this in the paper. The type that if they ever make a movie out of it, the world could end soon.

That's it.

So anyways, that is my attempt to sum up comics into seven natural divisions when talking about comics that have appeared on the funnies page one time or another, any opinions?

Any comics that you like, that you have any opinions on?
Discuss the funnies page and the comic strips that inhabit it, right here.

Post subject: Re: Let's all read the funnies!-Comic strips you like or dislike
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:37 am 

Aside from what you've mentioned, Clapper, I also like Brevity, Pearls Before Swine, Over the Hedge, and Calvin and Hobbes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am 

Most if not all newspaper comics suck.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:51 am 

Rusty wrote:

Exactly.
Also: Peanuts is the worst comic I have ever read.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:51 am 

Wow, such valuable, well-thought-out contributions...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:53 am 

IantheGecko wrote:
Pearls Before Swine.

There was actually a small mention of it, teensy one.

Over the Hedge, eh, could you give me an example that you like? :-S

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:55 am 

All newspaper comics are inconsistent, with Calvin and Hobbes as an exception. Sometimes they're funnny and other times they're not. C&H is always funny, and for bonus points, Watterson is a great artist and cartoonist.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:55 am 

IantheGecko wrote:
Wow, such valuable, well-thought-out contributions...

Do I really need to go and analyze every comic in my paper? They all suck. They're all annoying. They all attempt to be funny and just fall flat on their face. It's mostly the OOOOH NO, YOU JUST SAID SOMETHINGSOMETHING/HERE WE GO AGAAAIIIIN!N!N!N!!!

Calvin and Hobbes is amazing though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:58 am 

The Great Clapper wrote:
Over the Hedge, eh, could you give me an example that you like? :-S
Here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:59 am 

Bugkiss wrote:
All newspaper comics are inconsistent, with Calvin and Hobbes as an exception. Sometimes they're funnny and other times they're not. C&H is always funny, and for bonus points, Watterson is a great artist and cartoonist.

Actually, my dad suspects he is ghost-cartooning this comic

@ Ian: Heh, okay, I'll give you that it's kinda goofy, meh, I dunno, I guess I am just bothered that a movie of computer animation was turned into a hand drawn comic...preferred if it started as one or the other.

But other than that it's fairly good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:02 am 

The Great Clapper wrote:
Bugkiss wrote:

Is it any good? I do not remember ever reading this strip.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:08 am 

Clapp, it actually started as a comic quite a few years ago then was turned into a movie.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:10 am 

IantheGecko wrote:
Clapp, it actually started as a comic quite a few years ago then was turned into a movie.

Wait, really?

Graar, my paper always leaves me in the dark, it didn't appear in the funnies for me until just one or two years ago...some months after the movie was shown.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:13 am 

Yeah, the movie's popularity led it to a lot more papers picking it up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:15 am 

I suppose that's what ya get for living in a state that really divides up popularity.

Sigh, they cheapened over the hedge for me, and it seems a lot better than most of the strips on the page nowadays which makes me wonder why they would reject it.

:-(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:23 am 

The Great Clapper wrote:

He's not. Frazz is indeed an awesome comic, though. And yes, Frazz himself resembles Calvin, they talk about Calvin and Hobbes-type stuff, and other aspects of the art style (especially the eyes) remind one of Calvin and Hobbes. But I think it's safe to say that Watterson is not involved. For example, somebody once pointed out that C&H had detailed background art frequently, whereas Frazz rarely does. I think that remark is on the money.

You can read Frazz here.

- Kef

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:34 am 

furrykef wrote:
The Great Clapper wrote:

He's not. Frazz is indeed an awesome comic, though. And yes, Frazz himself resembles Calvin, they talk about Calvin and Hobbes-type stuff, and other aspects of the art style (especially the eyes) remind one of Calvin and Hobbes. But I think it's safe to say that Watterson is not involved. For example, somebody once pointed out that C&H had detailed background art frequently, whereas Frazz rarely does. I think that remark is on the money.

You can read Frazz here.

- Kef

Yeah, I know, but you see my dad...well, he doesn't take logic in like he used to, tends to put his foot down on a lot of things.

Once he's convinced that's it. :mrgreen:

But seriously though, maybe it just slipped into the cartoonist's subconcious, after reading calvin and hobbes so much, the drawing style was just second nature to him, not exactly, but a resemblance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:40 am 

Well, I do like Pearls Before Swine, and you can't talk about comics without mentioning classics like C&H, The Far Side, and Peanuts, but dude, these days no one really cares at all about newspaper comics anymore. They're utterly stagnant. Webcomics have pretty much already overtaken newspaper comics. I seriously doubt printed newspaper comics will exist in twenty years.

Not to say there aren't webcomics in the same rut as the newspaper ones are in right now.

As for the (completely insignificant) Frazz issue, I think its cartoonist was just heavily influenced by Watterson.

In conclusion, Clapper clearly thought way too much about this thread when he should have been doing his freaking homework. Seriously, dude, try to devote your time to something friggin' worthwhile.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:02 am 

Pearls, Get Fuzzy, CALVIN AND HOBBES, The Far Side, Dilbert, and Frazz (out of the ones that run in my newspaper, excepting CALVIN AND HOBBES and The Far Side).

Peanuts is one of the most overrated things ever spawned from someone's mind; Garfield was at least sort of almost decent about 15-20 years ago, but otherwise it's terrible.

By the way, the fact that you attempt to compare Garfield to Pearls Before Swine disturbs me immensely.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:17 am 

Einoo T. Spork wrote:
In conclusion, Clapper clearly thought way too much about this thread when he should have been doing his freaking homework. Seriously, dude, try to devote your time to something friggin' worthwhile.

I didn't have any homework einstein. X-(

Einoo, try to get the whole scoop before making assumptions that I have something to do that will go towards my future. :-|

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:45 am 

The Snork wrote:
The Far Side

Holy crap, I totally forgot about this one. The Far Side is flippin' sweet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:12 am 

Calvin and Hobbes, of course, and Foxtrot!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:18 am 

I don't really read too many comics of a particular series, but from the general consensus here, I'm guessing that I should start reading Calvin and Hobbes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:26 am 

Your local library will probably have Calvin & Hobbes collections. Ours always has had them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:40 am 

Like:
Get Fuzzy
The Boondocks

Despise:
Mallard Fillmore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:44 am 

^Mallard Filmore is funny.

Do you not get the joke in that comic?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:53 am 

The joke is "TAXES ARE BAD LOLOLOL"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:26 am 

Chekt wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Exactly.
Also: Peanuts is the worst comic I have ever read.

DAMN YOU TO HELL! [not expletives]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:55 am 

^In that form that are on this forum.

Calvin & Hobbes, Far Side, Dilbert.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:50 am 

I hate the lockhorns. Get a divorce, or kill yourself, because obviously your marriage is making your life a living hell.

EDIT: Did I mention how horrible Ziggy is?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next