Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:00 pm 

Inverse Tiger wrote:
Mr. Sparkle wrote:
I'm pretty sure the case would go nowhere because he was defending the child.

Don't be too sure. People have won lawsuits for tripping over something when they'd broken into someone's house to rob it. Someone could claim the father used "excessive force" and at least drag the case through the system for years, not letting this ugly situation go away for the parents. It happens.

I hate those lawsuits...especially when the stupid people win. There needs to be something like a "Karmic Retribution" clause that states if you get injured somehow during the process of you committing a crime, you no longer have any rights to sue anyone for anything. Of course, it'd probably need to be more specific than that, to prevent things like police brutality and whatnot...but still.

FOR PONY!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:20 pm 

Quote:
I hate those lawsuits...especially when the stupid people win. There needs to be something like a "Karmic Retribution" clause that states if you get injured somehow during the process of you committing a crime, you no longer have any rights to sue anyone for anything. Of course, it'd probably need to be more specific than that, to prevent things like police brutality and whatnot...but still.

I am incapable of rationally discussing frivolous lawsuits. X-(

I'll be going now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:54 pm 

well, i too would have beated the crap outta him because i mean what else would you do, sit in the living room and stare at him till the police arrive? Some people may say "he didnt have to beat him" but if you think about it, there is not that much else to do to make sure that that dude is stickin' 'round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:01 pm 

the_chekt wrote:
well, i too would have beated the crap outta him because i mean what else would you do, sit in the living room and stare at him till the police arrive? Some people may say "he didnt have to beat him" but if you think about it, there is not that much else to do to make sure that that dude is stickin' 'round.
Well, he could have tackled the guy and just detained him, but at that time, the father probably wasn't thinking all too clearly. I'm guessing that if the guy tries to sue, he'll probably not win.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:06 pm 

ramrod wrote:
the_chekt wrote:
Well, he could have tackled the guy and just detained him, but at that time, the father probably wasn't thinking all too clearly. I'm guessing that if the guy tries to sue, he'll probably not win.

I'm not sure if this applies to all the US or just certain states, but I've heard tell of laws that allow the homeowner to beat down and even kill whoever is an unwelcome trespasser in their home. So as long as the beating was still on the father's property, he'd be perfectly within his rights to have beat the molester.

FOR PONY!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:19 pm 

Depends on the state. Generally the same states that are gun-friendly are the-home-is-your-castle friendly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:40 pm 

Inverse Tiger wrote:
Depends on the state. Generally the same states that are gun-friendly are the-home-is-your-castle friendly.

Like Texas, I think we have a law like that here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:51 pm 

Score another point for PMG's karma:

Burglar bleeds to death after breaking window with his arms

How long until his next of kin sue the homeowner? :rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:14 pm 

lahimatoa wrote:

I read about that. I also read somewhere that a burgler sued or tried to sue because he got bit by the owners dog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:24 pm 

Location: Where do you think? Right here sitting at my computer. DUH!
the_chekt wrote:
lahimatoa wrote:

I read about that. I also read somewhere that a burgler sued or tried to sue because he got bit by the owners dog.

Pfft... Should learn how to read 3 words... "Beware of dog"

Anyway, yeah, ofcourse the dad beat the crap out of that guy, and since he was illegal, he can't sue him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:32 pm 

Ugh... I hate molesters...

To be honest, I may have killed the guy.

A few months ago, someone asked me the pin question, "What would you do if there was a molester in you house and you had a rifle? Would you consider your morals at that moment?"

I abhor violence, but if I had a rifle and a pervert was molesting my *hypothetical* child, I would blow that guy's head off.

No question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:23 pm 

I don't know if I'd blow his head off...but I'd probably shoot his genitalia. That'd keep him out of action for a while, if not for good.

FOR PONY!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:57 pm 
I'm going to own a gun for my own self-defence one day, but I wouldn't shoot him.

I would hold him into a corner while I called the police.

I'm very anti-violent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:09 pm 

Beyond the Grave wrote:
lahimatoa wrote:
Quote:
And your point is?

That all illegal immigrants are criminals.
They are all border jumpers, yes, but to surmise that all illegal immgrints are on the same level as child molesters is pure bigotry.

Thank YOU... lahimatoa... You have just reached rock bottom in my grood person chart..

Mr. AWESOME PEACE MAN wrote:
I'm going to own a gun for my own self-defence one day, but I wouldn't shoot him.

I would hold him into a corner while I called the police.

I'm very anti-violent.

Coolieness... So am i.. But if that were to happen to my children? I'd BREAK HIS NECK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:34 pm 

I know, I know, it's not PC to say that crossing the border illegally is illegal.

Sorry for offending you.

Oh, and if you think I'm equating child molestation with an illegal border crossing, you intentionally did not read posts following mine. I'm not going to argue with someone who is aggressively ignorant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:05 am 

lahimatoa wrote:
I'm not going to argue with someone who is aggressively ignorant.
I would rather deal with someone who is aggressively ignorant than aggressively rude and insulting.

Alex, I got a question for you. Suppose while you were waiting for the cops to come, the perp has a rush of bravery and decides to either take the gun, try to escape or both. What would you do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:13 am 

Beyond the Grave wrote:
lahimatoa wrote:
I'm not going to argue with someone who is aggressively ignorant.
I would rather deal with someone who is aggressively ignorant than aggressively rude and insulting.
You know, that doesn't help the matter at all really. Please don't try to cause anything, whether by accident, or on purpose.

By the way, I thought you said that you weren't going to be posting here anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:14 am 

If wanting a better life for yourself, or your family, is a crime, then lock us all up. Sure, illegal immigration is a crime on the surface, but often in reality there are some noble purposes behind it. Has anyone here read Arthur Miller's "A View From The Bridge"?

Bless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:47 pm 
Welcome to the forum godonlyknows, I think you'll be very welcome here.

To BTG: Simple, I would warn him that if he tried to move, I would be forced to fire. And if I had one that fired a wave of shots (I think it's called a shotgun, but I know almost nothing about them) then escaping would be a bit more difficult.

Not many people are very brave when their in danger with no way to defend themselves.

Although, I do have one thought, I one day hope to go to England. And private ownership of guns is illegal...

Either way, it's a very frightening thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:44 am 

If my little sister got molested, and I caught the molester, I'd hate to think what I'd do. As a Christian, I'm supposed to love my neighbor (the second most important commandment, I think), but unfortunately I think that would be the last thing on my mind as I beat the ever-loving crap out of that person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:08 pm 

Alexander wrote:
To BTG: Simple, I would warn him that if he tried to move, I would be forced to fire. And if I had one that fired a wave of shots (I think it's called a shotgun, but I know almost nothing about them) then escaping would be a bit more difficult.

But the thing is, you said you wouldn't shoot. Therefore, if the person does get a stroke of bravery, you'd be done for.

And don't say "they'd be too scared". The guy is about to go to jail. He would have no option left but to go for it. And since, although you said you would shoot him, but you don't, he's got the upper hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:20 pm 

A three year old child? That's just sick. I'm glad that guy got what he deserved, a good beating. I hope he gets locked away in jail for life...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:48 pm 
Acekirby wrote:
Alexander wrote:

But the thing is, you said you wouldn't shoot. Therefore, if the person does get a stroke of bravery, you'd be done for.

And don't say "they'd be too scared". The guy is about to go to jail. He would have no option left but to go for it. And since, although you said you would shoot him, but you don't, he's got the upper hand.

I'm willing to shoot if he even tries to get up. The distance between me and him would be only a few feet.

It's very difficult to doge a bullit I'm afraid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:00 am 

Alexander wrote:
I'm going to own a gun for my own self-defence one day.....

.....I'm very anti-violent.

Hypocrisy? Even if there's nothing in the chamber, you have to load a clip to show the scumbag you mean buisness. An unloaded gun with no clip is about as scary as a whiffle ball bat if the guy gets a good enough look at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:09 am 
Pizza Pizza

I don't think being non-violent, but owning a gun for self-defense is hypocrisy in the least bit. Self defense is about stopping violence. There's nothing like a couple of slugs of lead into a would-be attacker if you're wanting to prevent violence.
Gun ownership isn't about violence. Guns are no more inherently violent than, say, a big knife or a microwave. That's a different story for a different thread, though.

Quote:

It should be common sense. You got into the situation you're in because you broke the law. You made a conscious decision, and, therefore, should have to deal with the consequences of said decision. Non-criminals are forced to deal with the consequences of their decisions, why should lower life forms be exempt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:46 am 

The guns debate is a whole different issue. As a gun owner myself, I personally advocate education and training for anyone interested in buying a firearm for any reason. The danger, by and large, comes from people who don't know how to handle their weapons, or who leave them unsecured where kids can get at them.

I don't advocate for or against firearms in terms of whether society should have them. I do advocate training and practice, however. Basically, don't think that buying a gun in and of itself makes you safer. If you've had no training with your weapon you are very possibly placing yourself and your loved ones in much greater danger. After all, someone may or may not ever break into your home, but that loaded gun is in there every day. Everyone in the house needs to be educated to its dangers.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:14 am 

If he was about to do it, I'd make sure he didn't move another inch until there were handcuffs around his wrists.

If he had already done it, there wouldn't be any wrists to handcuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:59 am 

im pretty sure it is legal to shoot someone in your own domicile everywhere in the US, IF they are tresspassing, inside your house, and it is at night.

beating the whatsit out of em is probably illegal, however.

what is really crazy about illegal immigration is that any children born in the US are automatically US citizens. so mommy comes up north and works for about 5 to 6 years, gets caught for some reason, who knows, and the child is a citizen. weird, eh. steve.

also, in my area of the world many persons are illegal immigrants, and i would never do the jobs they do. oh wait. i actually do. drywall finishing. but some of the other jobs they do i wouldnt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:13 pm 

csours wrote:
im pretty sure it is legal to shoot someone in your own domicile everywhere in the US, IF they are tresspassing, inside your house, and it is at night.

That makes no sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:09 pm 
Pizza Pizza

Rusty wrote:
csours wrote:

That makes no sense.

Actually, in a lot of states, you have a "responsibility to retreat". Essentially, it means that if you're able to get away, you have to do it. Granted, there aren't many juries that will convict you for defending your property.

The idea of beating someone not being OK but shooting them being OK makes a little sense. If you shoot someone, your defense againt "responsibility to retreat" is "I thought they might have been armed. It was dark, and it was hard to tell". If you're beating the whatsit out of someone, the argument can be made that you were close enough to tell whether or not they were armed, and that, if they were unarmed you should have let them go (and not take the law into your own hands).

Like Rusty said, it doesn't make much sense, but I think that's the spirit of that.

Either way, you're gonna get sued, it's just a question of whether it's going to be the criminal or their next of kin.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next