Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:04 pm 
Pizza Pizza

Acekirby wrote:
buhubs wrote:
Well, I'm gonna try to find out the fool-proof fact that will get people to stop smoking

If "getting cancer and dying" is not your "fool-proof face to get people to stop", you're going to be hard pressed to find a worse one.

The majority of smokers aren't going to stop no matter what you show them.

Allow me to be overly materialistic for a moment...
Fool proof fact to make ME stop: Smokes are $3+/pack.
A pack and a half per day is around $32 per week, that's about $1650 a year.

$1650 almost= This + this.

Last edited by StrongRad on Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:40 pm 

Another good argument that expounds upon the personal health issue is the issue of how your own failing personal health will affect the lives of people you love. I quit smoking after a year, and believe you me, the telling off I got from my best friend about me ever even having started was more than enough to make me want to quit. He's lost enough blood relatives thanks to smoking, and he didn't dare let the same happen to me. When you take the time to realize who you'll be leaving behind for an early grave, it makes you really put things in perspective. At least for me...unfortunately, some people are just too selfish to ever let such a thought deter them from doing whatever they want to do.

FOR PONY!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:40 pm 

Location: Accepting CHAAALLLEEENGEEESSS! with the Kool-Aid Man.
Smoking is BAD. You die because of it. Bottom line. Quit and you'll thank me and all the others. Please quit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:12 am 
Pizza Pizza

Wesstarrunner wrote:
Smoking is BAD. You die because of it. Bottom line. Quit and you'll thank me and all the others. Please quit.

You DO die from smoking, but birth is the number one cause of death in the world.. If people aren't born, there's no way they can die.

Saying "It'll kill you" is kinda weak because everything can kill you.

I do get what you were saying, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:11 am 

Smoking is horrible for your health, can kill you, ruin your reputation, and has no benefits. Is it worth the indulgence? Heh heh, no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:52 pm 

Wise words, smoking can ruin sex life, looks, health, and smarts.
So please if you're smoking right now, drop it, and come really have a good time and not just some sickening blur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:05 am 

Don't smoke; or I'll have to ventilate you when you come into my ER, prep you to go to surgery WHERE THEY WILL FREAKING CUT YOUR LUNG OUT.

Don't smoke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:06 am 

barwhack, do you have anything to contribute to the discussion instead of just beating us over the head with a big stick? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:15 pm 

barwhack wrote:
Don't smoke; or I'll have to ventilate you when you come into my ER, prep you to go to surgery WHERE THEY WILL FREAKING CUT YOUR LUNG OUT.

Don't smoke.
furrykef wrote:
barwhack, do you have anything to contribute to the discussion instead of just beating us over the head with a big stick? ;)

Yea, my only addition to the whole of this conversation was the word "my" above: insider perspective. I thought it was worth relating. As for "beating you over the head", take a look at Buerger's Disease. Now that's a big stick, wielded by God/Nature/Fate/*.

*insert the Higher Power of your belief system here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:12 pm 

StrongRad wrote:
Wesstarrunner wrote:

You DO die from smoking, but birth is the number one cause of death in the world.. If people aren't born, there's no way they can die.

That made my day. :)

But I had to live with smokers all my life, even in the womb. Personally, I don't want to know how my sex life and health would be without. Don't ask. Then again, if my parents weren't smokers, I would've probably not have psorasis, return-night insomnia, and a bunch of other mental problems as well as some defects I don't even know about. But at least my dad RESPECTS my room and doesn't go there smoking. But, I really want my mom to quit because she contributes 75% of the stank in the house and doesn't care where she does it here. Also, I can hardly believe her claim that acne ruined her appearence. She looks gorgeous in photos from 20-30 years ago. Now she looks like an old crone.

So, I really want her to quit first, due to selfishness and scapegoating. Too bad the very mention of it ticks her off. -_-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:40 am 

My current roommate is a smoker. Thankfully he only does it outside, per dorm rules, but the smell on his clothes... Indescribable. It doesn't smell like cigarette smoke, it's worse, almost like death itself. I know that sounds funny, but it's almost like what I'm smelling is inimical to living organisms, a fear etched deep into the genetic code, like this is evil itself I'm smelling, the very antithesis of living things.

Oddly, my roommate is a nice guy. Doesn't know a lot of English (South Korean, you see), but nice nonetheless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:29 am 

Sometimes I wish sticking your noses in other people's business was a deadly habit as well

I'm talking to everybody who wants to ban smoking in PRIVATELY-OWNED restaurants and bars!!
You don't want to eat in MY smoke-filled restaurant?
Eat someplace else!
You don't want to work in MY smoke-filled restaurant?
Work someplace else!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:55 am 

Don't like the cockroaches crawling on your steak?
Eat Somewhere Else!
Don't like that I don't wash my hands before making your salad?
Eat Somewhere Else!

My point: restaurants are under moral and legal obligation to mind health issues within their working environment. Smoking falls within that category.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:37 pm 
I don't openly criticize people for their smoking habits, but I do know that I'll probably never smoke myself, because that's what killed my grandfather.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:50 am 

Didymus wrote:
Don't like the cockroaches crawling on your steak?
Eat Somewhere Else!
Don't like that I don't wash my hands before making your salad?
Eat Somewhere Else!

My point: restaurants are under moral and legal obligation to mind health issues within their working environment. Smoking falls within that category.

Actually, if I don't like cockroaches crawling on my steak, I WILL eat somewhere else, and that's my point. Health and safety inspections can stay, and simply post the detailed findings on the premises where everybody can easily see them. Most sane people will not eat at a restaurant with violations such as those you posted above. The restaurant owner will then clean up his act, or go out of business. Simple as that. No need to force him to close or fine him. And what about certain ethnic foods that are prepared in ways that do not meet with United States health standards? Are they not allowed to serve the immigrant populations that want to eat in restaurants that serve food the way they want it.

Back to the smoking issue. If a man opens a restaurant and decides he will allow smoking, that is his choice. It is also the choice of anybody who decides to eat and work there. If people keep coming into his smoke-filled restaurant, then apparently they are ok with breathing in second-hand smoke. Or first hand smoke. Those are the people he wants to serve. If the man finds that it is impossible to hire enough employees who will work in a smokey environment, or if the customers just aren't coming into his restaurant because they don't like the smoke, he will either change the policy on his own, or he will go out of business. And to the non-smokers who worry about not being able to eat anywhere, don't worry. Because of the anti-smoking atmosphere we are living in right now, there will be many many restaurants that choose to have NO SMOKING policies to attract the crowds that dislike the smoke. I would probably frequent those establishments myself. Cigarette smoke gives me a major headache and irritates my nose and lungs in a way that is more than an annoyance.
We know enough about cigarette smoke that people should be allowed to make their own decisions whether or not they expose themselves to that. I don't believe the government should be making our private decisions for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:25 am 

Amorican wrote:
I don't believe the government should be making our private decisions for us.

That's pretty much my point, too. I mean, why else would we have smoking sections? For decoration? People know the risk they put their lungs in with smoky restauraunts, but there's that amazing new invention called non-smoking section. Simply go over there and not be bothered by visible cigarette smoke in your face.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:49 am 

I don't think separate Smoking and Non-Smoking Sections are always enough. I've been in restaurants where the only thing separating me from the smoking section was a potted plant. In fact, there's a restaurant in Greenville that I haven't been in - and probably won't go in - for a very long time because the last time I was there, the smoke was so thick in the air, I couldn't enjoy my food. While it may be the American thing to preserve people's rights to do what they want, my question is, what about my rights?

Here's my thought - and this has been put into practice in some restaurants in St. Louis - if restaurants are going to permit smoking, they need to arrange their restaurants in such a way that non-smoking customers are not bothered by smoke drifting over from the smoking section. Adequate ventilation should be required, as well as walls to separate them.

And Amorican, you're right on one level. I don't patronize Sherman's anymore because of their smoky environment. However, what do you do when every restaurant in town is like that? Where do you eat then? Who's to stop my rights as a restaurant patron from being trampled underfoot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:13 am 

I think, Didymus, that there might be a fundamental difference in how we define the word "right." But that's probably another debate for another thread because toastpaint.

I like very much the idea of the separate rooms for smoking and non-smoking, with separate ventilation systems. If I owned a restaurant, I would probably get a system like that going.

Well, I guess here in Los Angeles I wouldn't even have that option. X-(

(edited for spelling)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:51 pm 
Pizza Pizza

Didymus wrote:
However, what do you do when every restaurant in town is like that? Where do you eat then? Who's to stop my rights as a restaurant patron from being trampled underfoot?

Free market would dictate that some guy, noticing a wide open market for non-smokers, comes in and opens a restaurant that is totally non-smoking.

Would it happen? Not sure. Believe me, though, if I heard a general "you can't go out to eat in this town anymore because of all of the smoke", I'd be looking into opening me a restaurant.

Yay capitalism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:24 pm 
Pizza Pizza

The "big" smoking news this week is that the MPAA has added smoking to their "naughty list" of things that can give a movie a "worse" rating.

While I think this is pretty dumb, I must applaud them for resisting calls from various special interest groups to give any movie with ANY smoking an automatic R rating.
The current method of thinking is to look at how smoking is portrayed. I think that even this is going too far, but oh well.

By the way, it's not censorship, at least not censorship that's forbidden by the 1st Amendment. All the ratings board does is rate the movie. They have no legal authority to actually change the content of the movie. That's up to the producers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:28 pm 

StrongRad wrote:
While I think this is pretty dumb, I must applaud them for resisting calls from various special interest groups to give any movie with ANY smoking an automatic R rating.

Heh, that'd make a few Homestar Runner episodes R-rated... now that would be re*bleep*ulous.

Oh, come on, that wasn't even a swear... look it up in the *bleep*tionary! :mrgreen:

- Kef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:53 am 

Thank God the MPAA doesn't control the Internet, then. ;)

But really, being pushed into making movies R-rated for some smoking has pressed my buttons quite a bit. What are they going to do now? Rerate old movies from the '40's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:25 am 

The 40s didn't have a rating system; they had the Hays Code. It was only around 1967 that the MPAA started the ratings system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:24 am 

But the Hays Code was far stricter than the MPAA in just about every respect, except that they didn't have a problem with smoking. That kinda says something.

- Kef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:57 pm 

But how well-known were the damages of smoking in the 1940's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:12 am 

buhubs wrote:
Wise words, smoking can ruin sex life, looks, health, and smarts.
So please if you're smoking right now, drop it, and come really have a good time and not just some sickening blur.

Really? My smarts? Elaborate.

Also, on the topic of banning smoking, couldn't we also ban over eating because it falls under the category of "long-term suicide"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:24 am 

Banning overeating would be impossible to enforce. Banning smoking wouldn't be, but the sheer number of dissenters who would go ahead and do it anyway would be problematic, which is what happened with Prohibition.

- Kef

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3