Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:36 pm

All times are UTC




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 854 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29

Pick the response that most accurately applies.
I believe in evolution and I am not an atheist. 19%  19%  [ 15 ]
I believe in evolution and I am an atheist. 44%  44%  [ 34 ]
I am a young earth creationist. 13%  13%  [ 10 ]
I am an old earth creationist. 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
I believe in Intelligent Design. 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
I don't know what to believe. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Other. 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 78
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Creation vs. Evolution
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:26 am
Posts: 3828
Location: I've seen this kind of Pikachu before.
I mean there's evidence for evolution.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Creation vs. Evolution
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:01 am
Posts: 6245
Ah, ok.

But that doesn't matter. it's also possible that we might find evidence for FSM creation. But we don't have it now, so naturally, the most backed up idea is what we go by.

And evolution is much more backed up than people think.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Creation vs. Evolution
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:26 am
Posts: 3828
Location: I've seen this kind of Pikachu before.
That's what I'm sayin'.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Creation vs. Evolution
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:37 pm
Posts: 2455
Location: oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Rusty wrote:
exactly
I was being sarcastic/satirical.

In case you didn't realize, Copernican theory is still accepted in its original form from hundreds of years ago, alongside much further learning in astronomy.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Creation vs. Evolution
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:26 am
Posts: 3828
Location: I've seen this kind of Pikachu before.
yes

so was I

And that's a bad example.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Creation vs. Evolution
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:37 pm
Posts: 2455
Location: oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Oh yeah, I forgot that we don't believe in gravity anymore since Newton.

Also that we dispelled that foolish notion that the world was round looong ago.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Creation vs. Evolution
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 4:58 pm
Posts: 5045
Location: Imagining all the people living life in peace.
HipHoppityFrogOfValue wrote:
Oh yeah, I forgot that we don't believe in gravity anymore since Newton.

Also that we dispelled that foolish notion that the world was round looong ago.


Stop being such an arrogant little twit.

I'll admit we do have a helluva lot of evidence for evolution, but that doesn't necessarily mean for 100% sure it's true. Since we can't actually go back and observe all life-forms over the last 4 billion or so years Earth has been around, there is always a chance we've got it wrong.

I can even reverse your argument on you. Before people knew the world was round, they were SURE that it was flat. Before Copernicus, everyone thought the sun revolved around the world. But it turns out they were incorrect, because they didn't have enough information and so they came to the wrong conclusion.

_________________
So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil? Do you think you can tell?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Creation vs. Evolution
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:57 am
Posts: 2981
Location: Oklahoma City
HipHoppityFrogOfValue wrote:
Oh yeah, I forgot that we don't believe in gravity anymore since Newton.


Ah, but we have discovered that in fact Newtonian gravity isn't really an accurate model. It's simply a simple and convenient model that is usually the most useful; it is "good enough" because the error from approximation is small enough not to matter. But the theory of relativity makes everything all complicated with space-time curvature and whatnot.

And if evolution as we know it is ever "disproven", that's the sort of way in which it'll be disproven: not something that forces us to declare evolution a lie and start over from the beginning with something completely different, but rather something that would still fit in with our current understanding.

Einoo T. Spork wrote:
I'll admit we do have a helluva lot of evidence for evolution, but that doesn't necessarily mean for 100% sure it's true.


Would 99.9% be good enough?

- Kef

_________________
404 sig not found


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Creation vs. Evolution
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 4:58 pm
Posts: 5045
Location: Imagining all the people living life in peace.
furrykef wrote:
Einoo T. Spork wrote:
I'll admit we do have a helluva lot of evidence for evolution, but that doesn't necessarily mean for 100% sure it's true.


Would 99.9% be good enough?/quote]
Yes. It would be. It would definitely be good enough to, for all intents and purposes, accept as fact. Just sayin' that it could be wrong.

_________________
So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil? Do you think you can tell?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Creation vs. Evolution
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:57 am
Posts: 2981
Location: Oklahoma City
Yeah, but pretty much anything could be wrong by that token. How do we really know Abraham Lincoln was the 16th president of the United States? None of us here were alive then.

- Kef

_________________
404 sig not found


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Creation vs. Evolution
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 4:58 pm
Posts: 5045
Location: Imagining all the people living life in peace.
furrykef wrote:
Yeah, but pretty much anything could be wrong by that token. How do we really know Abraham Lincoln was the 16th president of the United States? None of us here were alive then.

- Kef

Well, maybe he wasn't. ;)

_________________
So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil? Do you think you can tell?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Creation vs. Evolution
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:57 am
Posts: 2981
Location: Oklahoma City
Not to mention that even things you witness with your own eyes and ears can be questionable... especially if it's been a while. You could have been hallucinating. Maybe your memory is faulty.

My point being, this talk about "100% certainty" is rather meaningless anyway since nothing is 100% certain. Except death and taxes.

- Kef

_________________
404 sig not found


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Creation vs. Evolution
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:26 am
Posts: 3828
Location: I've seen this kind of Pikachu before.
furrykef wrote:
My point being, this talk about "100% certainty" is rather meaningless anyway since nothing is 100% certain.


That's kind of the point I was trying to make.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Creation vs. Evolution
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:37 pm
Posts: 2455
Location: oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Ah. In that case, we agree.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 854 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group