Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Sun May 26, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:29 am 

Location: Accepting CHAAALLLEEENGEEESSS! with the Kool-Aid Man.
But what are these basic human rights? People have different ideas of what they are. Humanity is rather destructive also, so some people could argue that the extinction of our species be a good thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:31 am 

Wesstarrunner wrote:
so some people could argue that the extinction of our species be a good thing.
Not good for 'our species' though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:26 am 

Quote:
Jesus wouldn't have shot the dude no matter what they did to him or anyone. He said to turn the other cheek. That scenario is very unlikely anyhow.

The same Jesus who is spoken of in Revelation as the Lamb who makes war against the enemies of God? Who calls himself YHWH Sabaoth (Lord of Armies)? And who blessed at least 3 Roman soldiers in his life? And who chased the money-changers and animal salesmen out of the temple?
(incidentally, the whip was used to drive the animals - there is no mention of it being used on people).

Turn the other cheek is not to be understood as meaning, "Do not fight to protect yourself or others," but rather, "Do not seek revenge against those who wrong you." Study the actual discourse of that passage, and don't just quote it out of context. It essentially means, do not repay evil with further evil. However, it is good and right for soldiers, policemen, and even common citizens in the right circumstances to protect themselves, their families, and other innocent people. So would Jesus approve of a soldier or policeman doing his job and stopping someone from destroying other lives? Absolutely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:01 am 

The Jesus that never fought in defense of himself while he was being spit on and tortured at the cross?

I also have questions for you: If someone kills someone and a policeman then shoots the guy while trying to apprehend him isn't that returning evil with evil? If a enemy country bombs your capital and you nuke them off the planet isn't that returning evil with evil? If a soldier , in defense of his country, kills an enemy soldier after that enemy soldier kills his fellow countrymen, is that not returning evil with evil also?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:45 am 

Wesstarrunner wrote:
The Jesus that never fought in defense of himself while he was being spit on and tortured at the cross?

Because the cross was his destiny. Without the cross, there would have been no redemption. But, if your picture of Jesus is of him as a pure pacifist, then how do you explain the Revelation passages of him waging war against God's enemies, and of those passages of him chasing the money-changers out of the temple? Jesus may not be willing to fight to protect himself, but he is certainly willing to fight.

Quote:
I also have questions for you: If someone kills someone and a policeman then shoots the guy while trying to apprehend him isn't that returning evil with evil? If a enemy country bombs your capital and you nuke them off the planet isn't that returning evil with evil? If a soldier , in defense of his country, kills an enemy soldier after that enemy soldier kills his fellow countrymen, is that not returning evil with evil also?

The policeman or soldier is doing their duty as a servant of the state to defend citizens and execute justice, which, by the way, is entirely consistent with Romans 13. An individual person does not have that right, except in cases in which they are being directly attacked and immediately must defend themselves or others.

So no. It is not repaying evil with evil in the sense of personal retribution, because it is being carried out for the sake of justice, a concept supported by both the Old and New Testaments. A fact further underscored by the fact that Jesus commends the faith of at least three soldiers (as a point of interest, did you know that the first Gentile Christian was a soldier? Acts 10).

That's not to say that it is easy for someone whose duty is to defend and execute justice to keep the right perspective. They too are called to set aside their personal feelings of wrath, rather than allow hatred to consume their souls. In their God-given vocations, they must also learn to walk in the grace of God.

Incidentally, the code of chivalry was instituted in the middle ages to answer that very challenge: how does one maintain a Christian life when one's duty is to fight for justice? Perhaps you should study that code sometime.

Besides, keep things in perspective. A slap is an insult, not a death. It is something that can be overlooked and even forgiven. Threatening the lives of people is not a mere insult, and a government would be negligent in its duties if it did not act to protect its citizens. And there is a huge difference between the two attitudes, "I must prevent others from being harmed by this person," and "I can't wait to get back at him for what he did to me!"

Wes, I suggest you engage in more serious study of the entire text of the Scriptures. This proof-texting (eisegesis) on your part demonstrates a lack of understanding of the whole.

But since you insist on playing the role of the consummate pacifist, let me ask you the question: what if a psychotic maniac had his knife to your wife's throat, and you had a pistol trained right at his chest? Would you pull the trigger and kill the man who was going to kill your wife, or would you refrain and let her die?

Last edited by Didymus on Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:15 am 

Wesstarrunner wrote:
Jesus wouldn't have shot the dude no matter what they did to him or anyone.

Of course not. Jesus would just wave his hand and the missile would turn into a giant hot dog. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:01 pm 

Didymus wrote:
But since you insist on playing the role of the consummate pacifist, let me ask you the question: what if a psychotic maniac had his knife to your wife's throat, and you had a pistol trained right at his chest? Would you pull the trigger and kill the man who was going to kill your wife, or would you refrain and let her die?

I truly don't know. I've never bee in that situation. But to answer your question:
If I had full control over my feelings and reflexes then I would not, but seeing as I am human and can be blinded by fear and anger I probably would without thinking. Afterwards I would probably not be that fond of myself for the rest of my life.

Also, you are right. I have not read the entire Bible, I know I have gaps in my understanding. I've tried reading it before, but something always get in the way. I know I should read it, but I am not perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:39 pm 

Quote:
If I had full control over my feelings and reflexes then I would not,

Why not? Are you trying to tell me that you'd sacrifice the life of someone you cared about in order to allow a dangerous criminal to go free? Not only does that go against every instinct that a normal husband would have, but it would also go against the very oath that a husband makes when he marries, "To have and to hold, to love and to cherish." In short, it would not be the self-sacrificial love that a husband is commanded to have for his wife, as dictated by Ephesians 5:25-33. If the choice were between your own life and hers, then the choice would be clear: you would have to sacrifice yourself to protect her. But to sacrifice the one you are sworn to love and protect in favor of a dangerous criminal? Good luck finding a wife who would appreciate that, though.

My thought? As Christ himself undertook battle on the cross - and will again undertake battle in the Last Day - to protect his bride the Church, so a husband should fight to protect his own wife. It is what he did; why then should we not also?

Quote:
Also, you are right. I have not read the entire Bible, I know I have gaps in my understanding. I've tried reading it before, but something always get in the way. I know I should read it, but I am not perfect.

Fair enough. But let me ask you this: what exactly is getting in the way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:46 pm 

Christianity is obviously important to you, Wes, so if you want to live your life around it, you should probably be completely educated on it. Read a few passages every night before bed or something, that's what I would do (it's also good because it gives you time to contemplate those passages as you fall asleep)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:27 pm 

Didymus wrote:
Why not? Are you trying to tell me that you'd sacrifice the life of someone you cared about in order to allow a dangerous criminal to go free? Not only does that go against every instinct that a normal husband would have, but it would also go against the very oath that a husband makes when he marries, "To have and to hold, to love and to cherish." In short, it would not be the self-sacrificial love that a husband is commanded to have for his wife, as dictated by Ephesians 5:25-33. If the choice were between your own life and hers, then the choice would be clear: you would have to sacrifice yourself to protect her. But to sacrifice the one you are sworn to love and protect in favor of a dangerous criminal? Good luck finding a wife who would appreciate that, though.

I feel this way because I think it is wrong to kill. This man would get justice in time. Whether by the hand of the law while he lives or God while he dies. I don't feel it right for me to do that.

Quote:
My thought? As Christ himself undertook battle on the cross - and will again undertake battle in the Last Day - to protect his bride the Church, so a husband should fight to protect his own wife. It is what he did; why then should we not also?

Because we aren't God. It isn't our place.

Quote:
Fair enough. But let me ask you this: what exactly is getting in the way?

Anything that gets in the way of any Christian. The same thing that makes churches close for the Super Bowl or people turn away from Christ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:51 pm 

The problem is, if you do not protect someone who is in danger, and they die as a result, that's just as bad as if you killed them yourself. The result is the same: on account of a decision you made, someone is dead. Only, instead of it being someone who is dangerous, you have killed someone you care about that you should have protected.

Also, you apparently have not read Exodus 22:2. Killing someone who is a danger to yourself or your family is not the same as murder, and is not wrong.

It is our place if, by vocation, we are called to protect that person. As a husband, your God-given calling is to protect your wife. It is therefore your responsibility to fulfill that calling by protecting her.

Quote:
Anything that gets in the way of any Christian. The same thing that makes churches close for the Super Bowl or people turn away from Christ.

I didn't ask what was getting in their way. I was asking what was getting in your way. Why are you not fulfilling your responsibility as a disciple of Christ? Yes, there are plenty of others who do too, but that is not an excuse for you. If there are things hindering your discipleship, then you have a responsibility to get rid of them, to let them go. Oddly enough, I think the assigned Gospel reading for today makes it fairly clear that, if you do not, then you cannot be Christ's disciple. My suggestion to you: read that passage and think very carefully, are you Christ's disciple or not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:13 am 

Modern life gets in my way. The fact that I'm human gets in my way. What am I supposed to do? Be a hermit? It would be a heckuva lot easier to study the Bible and be close to God that way.

I've read parts of the Bible, but I have school, I have to sleep, and I have my whole life ahead of me to read big books. You have given me something to sleep on though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:21 am 

You can be close to God without running off to join a monastery, Wes. Just by reading 5 or so chapters a day you can get through the whole Bible in a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:06 am 

I'm not that patient.
I'd have to read it like I do any other book. Devote all my free time to reading it front to back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:25 am 

Wes, you're only making excuses. I fail to see why you couldn't start with, say, one of the Gospels and work your way through that, then start on an epistle or one of the prophets. OR, for that matter, read one Psalm a day. But my thought is this: if you have time to post on this forum, then you have time to read your Bible. You just haven't straightened out your priorities yet.

Almost everyone I know - including the most devout Christians I have ever met - often have difficulties remaining faithful to the study of the Scriptures. So in one sense, you're not alone. But don't think for a minute that this means that I (or God, for that matter) will simply accept excuses not to do what he has called you to do.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2