Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stem cell breakthrough
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:04 pm 

Check this out:
Quote:
A recent discovery in stem cell research is no minor event: researchers have figured out how to reprogram adult cells into a state that is nearly indistinguishable from that of embryonic, pluripotent stem cells. This is huge news that promises to accelerate the pace of research in the field.

The problem has always been that cells exist in distinct states. A skin cell, for instance, has one set of genes essential for its specific function activated, and other sets of genes turned off; an egg cell has different patterns of gene activation and inactivation. Just taking the DNA from a skin cell and inserting it into the egg cell isn't necessarily going to create a functional egg cell, because genes essential for egg cells may be switched off in the skin cell DNA, and we don't know how to specifically switch them on. The process of somatic cell nuclear transfer has been hit or miss for that reason, with very high failure rates—scientists are basically trying to make the right configuration of genes switch on by giving the nucleus a good hard kick, and hoping that something in the cells will reconfigure the pattern of gene activation into something appropriate.

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2007/11/stem_cell_breakthrough.php
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsxBhBsLNg8

Basicly, what they can do is take some of your skin cells, and turn them into stem cells using a virus, wich can then be turned into any other kind of cell. But the technique is rather crude, and there's a chance the cells will get cancer.
What they hope to do is to find a more efficient method, so the cells aren't as likely to get cancer and so they might not have to use viruses.

What this means is that in a matter of years, within our lifetime, we might be able to take a skin/hair/blood sample, send it to a laboratory/hospital, wait a few months, and then you've got yourself a brand new heart/kidney/liver/entire body, without using any fetuses (wich might have ethical issues), or cells from someone else (wich your body might reject; not mine, don't want it, kill it).

This could become the best thing since... whatever was the best thing before sliced bread!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:32 pm 

I heard about this when it was mentioned briefly on NPR. It's awesome. I hope this all turns out to work, because if it does, all the ethical problems are solved. Except I can't be THAT optimistic, because some fundie will probably have SOMETHING to whine about here. But forget them :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:57 am 
Pizza Pizza

I love this idea. You get most of the stem cell benefits without the pesky ethical issues of using embryos slated for destruction.

Grand job, research peoples.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:27 am 

Finally, a compromise for both sides. Fan freakin' tastic.

Now let's just see how long it takes for them to actually cure diseases based on this research. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:44 am 

I wouldn't hold my breath yet. Too often you hear of breakthroughs like this, yet never hear about them again, presumably because of unforeseen problems. Still, yeah, I'm all for it, though I still have to admit I don't see what's wrong with using what we got now...

- Kef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:45 am 

Well, remember that this process will take years to perfect before it's ready to be tested on humans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:47 am 
Pizza Pizza

ramrod wrote:
Well, remember that this process will take years to perfect before it's ready to be tested on humans.

The other kind (using embryos) isn't really much further along.

Both are breakthroughs that will require a lot of time before human tests are even thought of.

Still, it's a start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:24 am 

I remember I was watching a show called "The Incredible Human Machine" on National Geographic, and this man who had severe arthritis in his shoulder was in surgery. The ball joint in his shoulder had been worn down and was very rough. They used a patch of tissue from a pig and placed it on the joint, popped the joint back in place, and a while later the joint had smoothed itself out because the tissue patch transformed itself into bone.
Cool stuff.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]