Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: "Nobody can Get into heaven" Video
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:22 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzzORZhnCao

This guy annoys me. He's made like five million videos, most of which take Bible quotes out of context or takes messages that are clearly metaphorical seriously. Example: 5:10 in the video.

But the one thing that really bugs me is that one quote from the bible:

Quote:
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple."

I have no idea what this could mean Metaphorically, and when taken litterally sort of contradicts everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:51 am 

Nothing in the bible can be taken literally. It was written so that only the ones who dedicate their lives to following it could understand it.

Then as people became idiots, they dumbed it down into simple phrases and sentences, wrote a "The Bible for Dummies" and dumbed it down even more until we saw God as an extremely forgiving and loving person who will forgive anything but murder.

Also, God is a Jug of Milk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:01 am 

First of all, that Step Two is entirely removed from its context. You must note, first and foremost, that Jesus is speaking to a rich man. Second, you must also note that, when Jesus asks the man if he had kept the Commandments, he listed only those of the Second Table, i.e., those that dictate how one must treat one's neighbors. He deliberately excluded the First Table, i.e., one's life in God. The implication: that this man is not living his life in God, but rather trusting in his wealth for peace and security. So Jesus' direction DIRECTLY TO HIM was essentially, "Get rid of what hinders you from following God (your wealth), then (and here's the important part) FOLLOW ME." In the end, it is following Christ that saves us (and ultimately, Christ himself that accomplishes it). If we desire to follow him, we do well to remove from our lives anything that hinders us. Yet I do not like downplaying the "hate" language - it is very harsh language, and it is intended to make the listener understand very clearly Jesus' point. Nothing in life is ever as important as following Christ. And yet that following carries with it the obligation to honor and love our families and neighbors as well.

Step Three: hating one's father, mother, family, etc. This is speaking in relationship to the love one is to have for God. Please note as well that the passage says that such a person is to hate their own life as well. How can one hate their own life, and yet desire eternal life? The answer is really quite simple: Jesus is making it absolutely clear that God is to be the single most important thing in our lives, including life itself.

Step Four: Jesus is speaking of the Sacrament. When we are gathered around the Lord's Table and receive the Bread and Wine, we are eating his Body and Blood. And in the Sacrament, he gives us his divine life to nourish us and strengthen us.

Steps Five: notice how the narrator tosses out, but gives very little opportunity for the viewer to examine the passage. The key phrase, "like a little child" is the key. Children are helpless, weak, and completely dependent on others for everything they need. In reality, we are all helpless and dependent, but most of us don't like to recognize this. Jesus is commending us to recognize our complete and utter helplessness and dependence on God, and then to TRUST him to take care of us.

Step Six: once again, Jesus is speaking Sacramentally. If you read the whole passage, Jesus says, "One must be born again of Water and the Spirit." Holy Baptism is the key here, something that is entirely consistent with the Christian message throughout the centuries, "Repent and be baptized into the name of Jesus Christ, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." This is not entirely disconnected from Step Five above, though, as the Christian life is one of constantly coming before Christ and recognizing our need for repentance and his mercy.

But that whole thing about wind: the Greek word for "wind" is the same word that means "Spirit". As a matter of fact, in many ancient languages, the words for wind and spirit are identical. So to what is Jesus referring? To the wind, which is movement of air in the atmosphere, or to the Holy Spirit, which he has already referenced earlier in the passage? Well, considering, that Jesus less concerned about meteorology as he was about theology...

Step Seven: No one can keep the Law perfectly. Therefore, if one wishes to exceed the Pharisees in righteousness, they would need a righteousness that comes not from the Law, but from something more powerful. Now, I have to wonder, where might we get something like that from?

And what does all this come down to? Trusting God and living life under his caring provision. In essence, that ends up being what all these other steps are about anyway, of which the last, Step Eight, ends up being the ultimate culmination. Trusting what God has already accomplished through him, receiving his Word and Sacraments with grateful thanks, and letting his light and grace direct our lives.

My conclusion: if you intend to use the Bible in any fashion, it helps to know the whole thing, and not just the parts that conveniently fit your own worldview. Jesus does indeed teach some things that appear foolish to those who do not trust him, but does that mean that he does not know what he is talking about? On the contrary: it would stand to reason that, if he is indeed God, then he should know a few things that human beings would never be able to comprehend. There were plenty of people in Jesus' day who didn't believe he knew what he was talking about. But there were 12 who came to him and said, "Lord, to whom else shall we go? You have the words of eternal life."

So who are you going to trust? Some skeptic who managed to get himself a few videos made, and who consistently quotes Scripture out of context, or the Son of God, who was crucified for your sins, and rose again on the third day? If nothing else, I think I will trust my own knowledge - gained through years of following my Lord and studying his Word - rather than the words of the skeptic who can't even be bothered to try to understand what he's reading.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]