Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:14 am

All times are UTC




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Is underage drinking wrong?
Yes, God says it's wrong 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Yes, it's against the law 43%  43%  [ 25 ]
Maybe, but I don't care 22%  22%  [ 13 ]
No 28%  28%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 58
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:26 am
Posts: 3828
Location: I've seen this kind of Pikachu before.
Strong Josh wrote:
Fitting in with society is exactly what Christians are expected NOT to do.

Society is filled with immorality, sex, drugs, drinking, cursing, and all things sinful. "Fitting in" with society leads to damnation.


Pfft, oh wow. Superchristian.

You sound like the type of person who thinks that everyone believes what you believe, therefore, if they do something that you think is wrong, they're a terrible person.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:22 pm
Posts: 3920
Location: Aiding The Glorious Robot Union.
Yeah, the Bible is not the highest law of the land. That makes the "God says its wrong" argument really difficult to support. To say "Underage drinking is bad because God says so" is not a good way to prove the magnitude of it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:26 am
Posts: 3828
Location: I've seen this kind of Pikachu before.
AbuGrape45 wrote:
Yeah, the Bible is not the highest law of the land. That makes the "God says its wrong" argument really difficult to support. To say "Underage drinking is bad because God says so" is not a good way to prove the magnitude of it.


Exactly. Saying something like "All the kids out there doin' all the sinnin'..."...yeah no. Sorry.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:06 am
Posts: 966
Location: Locked out....
DeathbyChiasmus wrote:
Biscuithead, this may be the verse you're looking for. In I Corinthians 9:19-22, Paul says, "Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible...I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some." He isn't saying exactly the same thing as you are (I think he'd only encourage "behaving like others in society" insofar as it provides opportunities to communicate the gospel), but it is pretty close.
Thank you Chiasmus, that's the one I wanted. And yeah, I was drawing my own conclusions from that verse, not trying to say exactly the same thing. I probably should have made that clearer in my last post.

Oh and Abu, you are obviously looking at things from a different viewpoint to me and some of the others here. I put God's law first, and I don't really care if I break a few of the country's laws.
That is essentially why I made this thread, to see if people agreed with me in this idea.
Rusty wrote:
Exactly. Saying something like "All the kids out there doin' all the sinnin'..."...yeah no. Sorry.
Actually, I agree with this. I don't think of non-Christians as "sinners" or "heathens", they're just normal people. Some Christians have no idea.

_________________
SIBHoD.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:33 am
Posts: 1661
Location: About 260 miles northeast of Stu's backyard.
As someone who has never had any kind of alcohol in his life, and doesn't see the appeal, what's the point? What's the goal when you open a can of beer?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:10 am
Posts: 14278
Location: Behind Blue Eyes
It's the same reason pops open a can of Coke or has a bottle of Gatorade, it's for refreshment.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:33 am
Posts: 1661
Location: About 260 miles northeast of Stu's backyard.
Beyond the Grave wrote:
It's the same reason pops open a can of Coke or has a bottle of Gatorade, it's for refreshment.


So beer tastes good? Quenches thirst? It smells horrible, so I have a hard time imagining it is tasty.

_________________
Image


Last edited by lahimatoa on Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:57 am
Posts: 2981
Location: Oklahoma City
They say beer is an acquired taste. Though I don't really know why bother acquiring such a taste when you can just have something you already enjoy.

(No, I don't drink beer. Maybe if I did, I would know. I don't really care, though...)

- Kef

_________________
404 sig not found


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:33 am
Posts: 14288
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
lahimatoa wrote:
What's the goal when you open a can of beer?

To drink it?


:mrgreen:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:33 am
Posts: 1661
Location: About 260 miles northeast of Stu's backyard.
ramrod wrote:
lahimatoa wrote:
What's the goal when you open a can of beer?

To drink it?


:mrgreen:


My point is, don't people drink to get drunk?

What's all this talk of drinking, but not to get drunk?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:10 am
Posts: 14278
Location: Behind Blue Eyes
lahimatoa wrote:
My point is, don't people drink to get drunk?
Not necessarily. The majority of people who do drink, don't drink to get drunk. I drink regularly and I haven't been drunk in over 3 years.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:33 am
Posts: 1661
Location: About 260 miles northeast of Stu's backyard.
Beyond the Grave wrote:
Not necessarily. The majority of people who do drink, don't drink to get drunk. I drink regularly and I haven't been drunk in over 3 years.


How is "drunk" even defined? I mean, even one drink affects you right? At what point does it go from "buzzed" to drunk?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:09 pm 
Offline
Pizza Pizza
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:05 pm
Posts: 10451
Location: probably the penalty box
lahimatoa wrote:
ramrod wrote:
lahimatoa wrote:
What's the goal when you open a can of beer?

To drink it?


:mrgreen:


My point is, don't people drink to get drunk?

What's all this talk of drinking, but not to get drunk?

I drink beer to drink beer. It's another beverage, similar to opening a can of Pepsi or Coke, except I have no issues driving after a couple cans of Pepsi.

Some people do drink to get drunk, some drink because it tastes good with what they eat.

I would venture to wager that more people drink because they like the beverage than drink to get drunk.
The whole "drinking to get wasted" thing stops being fun after a year or two of college.

_________________
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:33 am
Posts: 1661
Location: About 260 miles northeast of Stu's backyard.
So you drink beer because you like the taste?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:29 am 
Offline
Pizza Pizza
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:05 pm
Posts: 10451
Location: probably the penalty box
lahimatoa wrote:
So you drink beer because you like the taste?
I do.
A good dark beer seriously compliments a nice steak.
A lighter wheat beer works well with fish.

So, yes. I enjoy the flavor of beer.

_________________
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:10 am
Posts: 14278
Location: Behind Blue Eyes
lahimatoa wrote:
So you drink beer because you like the taste?
Yes. To me and to some others, beer tastes good.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:33 am
Posts: 1661
Location: About 260 miles northeast of Stu's backyard.
So you two would drink beer even if it had no effect on you outside of it tasting good?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:33 am
Posts: 14288
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
lahimatoa wrote:
So you two would drink beer even if it had no effect on you outside of it tasting good?

I would. There are people out there that drink non-alcoholic beers.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:06 pm 
Offline
Pizza Pizza
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:05 pm
Posts: 10451
Location: probably the penalty box
lahimatoa wrote:
So you two would drink beer even if it had no effect on you outside of it tasting good?

Yeah, probably.
I don't drink "non-alcoholic beer", though, because none of them taste anything like the beer I drink.

_________________
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:33 am
Posts: 1661
Location: About 260 miles northeast of Stu's backyard.
That's what I wanted to know. I've never really had this discussion with anyone before... it's interesting. I always assumed people drank for the effects.

But anyway... I think underage drinking is a bad idea. It's just like underage driving... it takes someone responsible to be able to handle something potentially dangerous.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:19 am
Posts: 625
Location: Being banned.
lahimatoa wrote:
ramrod wrote:
lahimatoa wrote:
What's the goal when you open a can of beer?

To drink it?


:mrgreen:


My point is, don't people drink to get drunk?

When you see a beer commercial, tell me which they usually say:
"This'll get you wasted in no time!"
or
"Voted best tasting!"
?
People may drink to get drunk in drinking harder liquors, but most of the time, it's like drinking soda: you want it for the taste and refreshment.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:41 pm
Posts: 815
I don't see it as wrong, just something a person should be careful with/use in moderation. Like the last few posts said, they're beverages. Thirst quenchers, or meal-complimenters; not tests of manliness.

_________________
"If at first you don't succeed, call in an air strike." -Unknown


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:44 pm
Posts: 2276
Location: behind you
Hm. It didn't have a "Yes, because of Health Reasons" option. If it did, I would go for that. Alchohol in general isn't good for your body's health, so there's no reason why you should throw it into the mix while your body is still growing.

But once you stop growing-- DRINK UP. We're dying anyway! hahahaha-- *cough*

_________________
Meanwhile as The Faceless Evil closes in on the hapless, sleeping, populace...
Across town in a shanty one-bedroom, an old woman feeds her parakeet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:26 am
Posts: 3828
Location: I've seen this kind of Pikachu before.
Didymus wrote:
current medical studies have shown that moderate amounts of alcohol can be beneficial to one's health.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 4:58 pm
Posts: 5045
Location: Imagining all the people living life in peace.
Rusty wrote:
Didymus wrote:
current medical studies have shown that moderate amounts of alcohol can be beneficial to one's health.

Not while your body's developing – especially not your brain. Damaging a developing brain is quite a bad idea.

_________________
So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil? Do you think you can tell?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:26 am
Posts: 3828
Location: I've seen this kind of Pikachu before.
I really don't feel like doing the research right now but I know you're wrong.

In any case, there are probably enough sources in this thread to discredit you. In moderation, it's fine, and can actually benefit you, regardless of age.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:49 pm 
Offline
Pizza Pizza
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:05 pm
Posts: 10451
Location: probably the penalty box
Rusty wrote:
I really don't feel like doing the research right now but I know you're wrong.

In any case, there are probably enough sources in this thread to discredit you. In moderation, it's fine, and can actually benefit you, regardless of age.


I think you might be right, however, how many underage drinkers have a glass of red wine with dinner a couple times of week? I'm guessing that number is probably VERY small compared to the number of "I can drink a 12 pack because I'm manly" kiddies. A lot of people view underage drinking as that second type of drinker.

I'm not taking a side in this one, but I wanted to throw that out.

_________________
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:26 am
Posts: 3828
Location: I've seen this kind of Pikachu before.
Yeah, I think you're right. All I'm saying is that it's not bad if you have control of yourself.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:44 pm
Posts: 2276
Location: behind you
Rusty wrote:
I really don't feel like doing the research right now but I know you're wrong.

In any case, there are probably enough sources in this thread to discredit you. In moderation, it's fine, and can actually benefit you, regardless of age.


There's a flip side, that even 'in moderation' the effects of alcohol on a growing body is terrible. The studies could probably go both ways, but even simply googling 'the effects of alcohol on a growing body' got me hundreds of studies and articles on why and how it damages the growing body.

So yeah. Steer clear, in my opinion. I tend to trust those studies a heck of a lot more based on personal experience with alcohol if nothing else.

_________________
Meanwhile as The Faceless Evil closes in on the hapless, sleeping, populace...
Across town in a shanty one-bedroom, an old woman feeds her parakeet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:00 am
Posts: 3849
Location: Best Coast
Rusty wrote:
In moderation, it's fine, and can actually benefit you,
I think it's more complicated than that. It can help with cholesterol, but only IF you already eat healthy AND excercise regularly (and if you don't want to take another medication with the same benifit). Not many people actually fall under that category, even if they'd like to.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group