Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:11 pm

All times are UTC




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Which was he?
Hero 63%  63%  [ 20 ]
Tyrant 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
he waz a gewd man, i lyke hiz hat lol 31%  31%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 32
Author Message
 Post subject: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:19 am
Posts: 625
Location: Being banned.
Abraham Lincoln had quite a time while in office.
He is best known for freeing slaves and being president of the Union during the Civil War.
However, historians in the South are beginning to "expose" Abraham Lincoln for being a tyrant, taking slaves from the Confederacy and not caring about states' rights or the Constitution.
So, which do you say he is?
I'm going to say he's a hero. He freed the slaves in Confederate territories, while trying to preserve the Union. The Emancipation Proclamation was a brilliant strategy which also brought freedom to slaves in the South.
What do you think?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:44 pm
Posts: 2276
Location: behind you
His hat was awesome.

_________________
Meanwhile as The Faceless Evil closes in on the hapless, sleeping, populace...
Across town in a shanty one-bedroom, an old woman feeds her parakeet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:37 pm
Posts: 2455
Location: oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
I'm going to go with hero, but it's pretty close and I thought about it for a long time. I mean, he removed a lot of rights and is a pretty big reason we don't have as many Constitutional liberties today, though it probably would have taken a lot longer for slaves to get freed if it weren't for him. I definitely have a lesser opinion of him than most, however.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:14 pm
Posts: 8899
Location: looking at my post and/or profile
Hero. Boo-hoo, some old white dudes are bitter that "all thems darkies aren't mowing mah lawn".

(note directed to all you guys in the south. just the racists.)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:22 am
Posts: 5894
Location: SIBHoDC
The Noid wrote:
Hero. Boo-hoo, some old white dudes are bitter that "all thems darkies aren't mowing mah lawn".

(note directed to all you guys in the south. just the racists.)


Yeah, pretty much this.

_________________
beep beep I'm a Jeep


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:37 pm
Posts: 2455
Location: oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
The Noid wrote:
Hero. Boo-hoo, some old white dudes are bitter that "all thems darkies aren't mowing mah lawn".

(note directed to all you guys in the south. just the racists.)
If you paid any attention to the original post or mine whatsoever you would know that this isn't the reason people are upset with Lincoln.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:39 am
Posts: 307
Who says he can't be both?

Granted I'm not that knowledgeable about American history, but didn't pretty much every war the US has been in involved the president going against the Constitution? Except for the Revolution, of course, since there wasn't any Constitution to break. Heck, the system the US government is based on, the Roman Republic, had it set up so that an absolute leader could be chosen in times of emergency. Of course that sort of system can go horribly wrong.

Anyways, I say a bit of a tyrant, but a justified one. And definitely a hero.

_________________
GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:26 am
Posts: 3828
Location: I've seen this kind of Pikachu before.
Hero.

Are you kidding me? He helped Pen defeat the Ice King.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:14 pm
Posts: 8899
Location: looking at my post and/or profile
Quote:
If you paid any attention to the original post or mine whatsoever you would know that this isn't the reason people are upset with Lincoln.


I did pay attention to both of them. To me it just seems these are some grumpy old guys. Who cares if he owned slaves. Even if he did, did he treat them with respect? I doubt he had them on a private field all day (if he did have any, which I think evidence shows that he did but I could be thinking of somebody else). The most important thing is that he freed the slaves and helped our nation through some tough times.

etc. etc you're probably gonna come up with some argument against picking at a fragment of that paragraph cause more then likely there's something to pick at.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:37 pm
Posts: 2455
Location: oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Th..that's not my beef with Lincoln at all, it's just things he actually did that were largely unrelated to slavery and how he restricted free speech somewhat to silence dissent against the war.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:26 am
Posts: 3828
Location: I've seen this kind of Pikachu before.
Well, was that necessary?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:37 pm
Posts: 2455
Location: oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Somewhat. You have to realize I'm on the fence about this issue, and I did eventually side with "hero", it's just that some things he did were pretty questionable though I don't want to do any research right now.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:49 am
Posts: 359
Location: ramrod is pathetic
I chose the last option, because it's hilariously absurd.

_________________
Choc-o-Lardiac Arrest wrote:
Holy crap, are we in an episode of Blues Clues or somethin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:10 am
Posts: 14278
Location: Behind Blue Eyes
Dear South,

It's been 143 years since you lost the Civil War, get over it. You lost, your way of life was wrong(AND IT STILL IS) and Lincoln was a hero.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:33 am
Posts: 14288
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
Protip : The Emancipation Proclamation did nothing. It was only if effect for those states still in the rebellion, not the border states with slavery that stayed loyal to the Union. This was mostly for show to gain support from Anti-Slavery France and England, who the South was trying to court.


During the Civil War, Lincoln appropriated powers no previous President had wielded: he used his war powers to proclaim a blockade, suspended the writ of habeas corpus, spent money without congressional authorization, and imprisoned 18,000 suspected Confederate sympathizers without trial.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:14 pm
Posts: 8899
Location: looking at my post and/or profile
Quote:
Th..that's not my beef with Lincoln at all, it's just things he actually did that were largely unrelated to slavery and how he restricted free speech somewhat to silence dissent against the war.


I can tell you're not a bitter racist, but the fact that they were Southern historians just makes it seem to me that they're bitter racists. If it was Northern I might read into it more, but eh.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:20 am 
Offline
Pizza Pizza
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:05 pm
Posts: 10451
Location: probably the penalty box
The Noid wrote:
Quote:
Th..that's not my beef with Lincoln at all, it's just things he actually did that were largely unrelated to slavery and how he restricted free speech somewhat to silence dissent against the war.


I can tell you're not a bitter racist, but the fact that they were Southern historians just makes it seem to me that they're bitter racists. If it was Northern I might read into it more, but eh.

Southern = racist?

_________________
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:26 am
Posts: 3828
Location: I've seen this kind of Pikachu before.
Well, back then...yeah

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:11 pm
Posts: 2399
Location: I'm not AD- Hey look, a chicken!
Just a note: The majority of whites in the South did not, in fact, own slaves. As previously stated, the Emancipation Proclamation did nothing to free anyone, it just was used to get the British on the side of the North. Lincoln himself was a racist and didn't think blacks should be equal to whites at all, shouldn't vote, etc.

So imma gonna go with the last one. It looks shiny.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:14 pm
Posts: 8899
Location: looking at my post and/or profile
Quote:
Southern = racist?


No no no. Not at all.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:40 pm 
Offline
Pizza Pizza
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:05 pm
Posts: 10451
Location: probably the penalty box
The Noid wrote:
Quote:
Southern = racist?


No no no. Not at all.

My bad.
Your post just kinda read like that.

_________________
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:22 am
Posts: 5894
Location: SIBHoDC
You do have to admit, though, that it is more likely you'll encounter open racism/Civil War bitterness from southerners. Not that all of them are like that, of course.

_________________
beep beep I'm a Jeep


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:11 pm
Posts: 2399
Location: I'm not AD- Hey look, a chicken!
Jitka wrote:
You do have to admit, though, that it is more likely you'll encounter open racism/Civil War bitterness from southerners. Not that all of them are like that, of course.

In my experience of the South, in the Black belt, I knew more black racists than white ones. And next to none in the North. (I be agreeing with ye here, Jack.)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:33 am
Posts: 1661
Location: About 260 miles northeast of Stu's backyard.
StrongRad wrote:
The Noid wrote:
Quote:
Southern = racist?


No no no. Not at all.

My bad.
Your post just kinda read like that.


Um, it did read like that.

Quote:
I can tell you're not a bitter racist, but the fact that they were Southern historians just makes it seem to me that they're bitter racists. If it was Northern I might read into it more, but eh.


How does this mean anything other than "Southern historians = bitter racists, Northern historians = fair and balanced"?

And more on topic, Lincoln did what he had to do. If he were president today he'd be crucified by the opposing political party and CNN for destroying civil liberties and making us EXACTLY LIKE Nazi Germany.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:14 pm
Posts: 8899
Location: looking at my post and/or profile
Quote:
How does this mean anything other than "Southern historians = bitter racists, Northern historians = fair and balanced"?


It's an opinion that doesn't hold up well in argument. It might make me look like an idiot, but it's better than me trying to come up with a half-butted argument on what I feel that's not even true.

And that's also not true.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:26 am
Posts: 3828
Location: I've seen this kind of Pikachu before.
lahimatoa wrote:

Um, it did read like that.

Quote:
I can tell you're not a bitter racist, but the fact that they were Southern historians just makes it seem to me that they're bitter racists. If it was Northern I might read into it more, but eh.


How does this mean anything other than "Southern historians = bitter racists, Northern historians = fair and balanced"?



Could you please get over yourself?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:44 pm
Posts: 2276
Location: behind you
Rusty wrote:
lahimatoa wrote:

Um, it did read like that.

Quote:
I can tell you're not a bitter racist, but the fact that they were Southern historians just makes it seem to me that they're bitter racists. If it was Northern I might read into it more, but eh.


How does this mean anything other than "Southern historians = bitter racists, Northern historians = fair and balanced"?



Could you please get over yourself?


I second this.
I mean, honestly, this debate had ended awhile ago with no particular hard feelings - There's no need to KEEP. DIGGING.

but ok, i guess some people like that

_________________
Meanwhile as The Faceless Evil closes in on the hapless, sleeping, populace...
Across town in a shanty one-bedroom, an old woman feeds her parakeet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:32 am 
Offline
Pizza Pizza
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:05 pm
Posts: 10451
Location: probably the penalty box
Rusty wrote:
lahimatoa wrote:

Um, it did read like that.

Quote:
I can tell you're not a bitter racist, but the fact that they were Southern historians just makes it seem to me that they're bitter racists. If it was Northern I might read into it more, but eh.


How does this mean anything other than "Southern historians = bitter racists, Northern historians = fair and balanced"?



Could you please get over yourself?

The same could be said for you.
Add to the debate or leave.
Quit trying to bait Lahi.
...and yes, that WAS what you were doing there.

_________________
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:26 am
Posts: 3828
Location: I've seen this kind of Pikachu before.
do you always stick up for him or is it just these two times?

...And no, it wasn't. Don't assume crap like that.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lincoln: Hero or Tyrant?
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:22 am
Posts: 5894
Location: SIBHoDC
Now I am NOT sticking up for Lahi, but I think there's been a bit of trolling on all sides here. Can we just move along please?

The last thing this forum needs now is needless enmity and DRAMA. Even in R&P, drama's never been good for forum morale. Those of us who were here for the Rosalie days can attest to that.

_________________
beep beep I'm a Jeep


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group