Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Obama depicted as radical muslim on cover of The New Yorker
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:51 pm 

A lot of people have been calling this tasteless and others call it satire. Which do you see it as? Now, I'm liberal and I like Obama. Yet how come people scream "tasteless" when a democrat is made fun of and love it when republicans are depicted as, say, nazis, or overly zealous holy rollers? I say anybody can be laughed at, even if the joke is potentially shocking. That goes for us lefties too. Your thoughts?

"The next worst word you can couple with the word fan is, you guessed it, the word FICTION."-Strong Bad, "fan club"

Post subject: Re: Obama depicted as radical muslim on cover of The New Yorker
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:59 pm 

Setsumi-san wrote:
A lot of people have been calling this tasteless and others call it satire. Which do you see it as? Now, I'm liberal and I like Obama. Yet how come people scream "tasteless" when a democrat is made fun of and love it when republicans are depicted as, say, nazis, or overly zealous holy rollers? I say anybody can be laughed at, even if the joke is potentially shocking. That goes for us lefties too. Your thoughts?

Okay, first off, No magazine has shown a drawn picture of McCain dressed up as a Nazi. Talking about it and depicting it are two different things.

second, it is tasteless and a little bit racist, considering his wife was drawn with an Afro, looking like a black radical from the 60s.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:06 pm 

Choc-o-Lardiac Arrest wrote:
second, it is tasteless and a little bit racist, considering his wife was drawn with an Afro, looking like a black radical from the 60s.

Isn't that part of the satire.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:07 pm 
Pizza Pizza

The more I think of it, the more the whole situation makes me laugh. Anyone familiar with the New Yorker knows this was nothing more than a send-up of the stereotypes of Obama held by some of my co-workers and my in-laws.
It was nowhere near as offensive as, say, a civil rights leader talking about castrating a presidential candidate for encouraging personal responsibility.

I'm just sayin'...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:30 pm 

Choc-o-Lardiac Arrest wrote:
Okay, first off, No magazine has shown a drawn picture of McCain dressed up as a Nazi. Talking about it and depicting it are two different things.

How bout this?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:42 pm 

StrongRad wrote:
The more I think of it, the more the whole situation makes me laugh. Anyone familiar with the New Yorker knows this was nothing more than a send-up of the stereotypes of Obama held by some of my co-workers and my in-laws.
It was nowhere near as offensive as, say, a civil rights leader talking about castrating a presidential candidate for encouraging personal responsibility.

I'm just sayin'...

The controversy is preventing us from doing what we should be doing which is laughing at these stereotypes. I agree with you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:03 am 

I'm too tired of hearing people saying that Obama really is that type of person to really find that cover funny. But offensive? Nah.

Comics I Don't Understand (which isn't overtly political all that often) says Obama's putting his foot in his mouth by making too big a fuss over it... I think I agree. People are going to see him speaking on behalf of American Muslims, and boy, if you thought rumors were flying before...

- Kef

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]