Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Who is you choice for President?
Poll ended at Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:02 am
Barack Obama 73%  73%  [ 8 ]
John McCain 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Third Party Candidate 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post subject: '08 Elections!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:50 pm 

Whoa... I'm suprise this topic hasn't come up yet sooooo...HERE IT IS!!!

Who are you voting for(if your not old enough to vote then who are your parents voting for)??Why??State any beliefs on the presidents. And if someone doesn't like your opinion OH WELL!!!!FREEDOM OF SPEECH PEOPLE!!!!

Post subject: Re: '08 Elections!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:54 am 
Pizza Pizza

Angelgrl1029 wrote:
And if someone doesn't like your opinion OH WELL!!!!FREEDOM OF SPEECH PEOPLE!!!!
Common misconception: This is a privately owned/operated board. There is no freedom of speech. Well, ok, so there sort of is here, but yeah, there's no law saying we have to let people say whatever we want.

Anyway...

I'm really liking John McCain. I'd be really happy to see him run a split ticket with John Edwards if neither wins their party's nod for November.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:18 am 

Quite frankly, I'm not fond of any of the candidates. Any of the candidates, anyways, except Rudy Giuliani. He seems to be the only one who gets right down to brass tacks at the debates, hasn't said anything ignorant in the debates, and was a New York mayor. He helped almost as much as Bush did after 9/11, and he seems to be the one candidate with more than just a shred of intelligence to show. I'm liking him a lot. If I could legally vote, I'd pick him in a heartbeat, whether or not the primary elections have reached California.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:02 am 

Location: living in the sunling, loving in the moonlight, having a wonderful time.
I still don't feel all the way informed about the candidates, but from what I've seen and compared to the way my parents are swinging, Ron Paul or Huckabee are sounding pretty good right now.

Huckabee Huckabee Huckabee.

In all seriousness, I was glad to see Huckabee have a bit of fun with his campaign. To often politics turns into a bunch of stiff-necked old farts who do things because they think it's right/the ways things should be, when in fact this is all for the American people. Seeing those Chuck Norris ads with Mike showed something in him that isn't present in a lot of the other candidates, and that's a shred of humanity. Those ads to me say "Hey guess what! This guy does something besides watch C-SPAN and argue over legislation! There's a soul in there somewhere!"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:10 am 

Location: oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
I can't vote, but Ron Paul FTW.

It's bull that Fox didn't/isn't going to let him debate, and he just isn't popular because he scares the crap out of the Republican Party because they know he won't conform to their shallow political dogmas.

Also, he's for getting rid of a federal income tax, legalizing drugs, getting out of Iraq immediately, and stopping infringing on the First Amendment in the name of the so-called "War on Terror".

And if he makes it he'll be the first president with a great-grandchild.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:23 am 

Is anyone else getting tired of the invalid points Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Hussein Obama have been making at the debates? All they've done is attack Bush.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:54 am 
Pizza Pizza

AbuGrape45 wrote:
Is anyone else getting tired of the invalid points Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Hussein Obama have been making at the debates? All they've done is attack Bush.

Have you been paying attention? All Hillary is doing is attacking Obama over stupid things like the drug use from 20+ years ago. I guess when you have nothing to say about yourself, you have to attack your opponents.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:55 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:10 am 

I'll be voting a week from tomorrow, and I'm still not sure between the three Republican front runners. The Democrats pretty much are ignoring Michigan this year (except Hilary), so it'd be pointless to vote on their ballot. I'm not a huge Ron Paul fan, but he doesn't seem like a contender anyways at this point.

Quote:
In all seriousness, I was glad to see Huckabee have a bit of fun with his campaign.
Yeah, he was even on the Colbert Report today. Pretty sweet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:37 am 
Pizza Pizza

ed 'lim' smilde wrote:
I'll be voting a week from tomorrow, and I'm still not sure between the three Republican front runners. The Democrats pretty much are ignoring Michigan this year (except Hilary), so it'd be pointless to vote on their ballot. I'm not a huge Ron Paul fan, but he doesn't seem like a contender anyways at this point.

At least you guys get to have some sort of say on who the candidate is. We don't get to vote in Kentucky until May. By then, I think the November race will be set (except for the whole formal announcement thing that has to happen at the conventions).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:45 am 

Colorado's caucus is on Super Tuesday. My top 2 choices are Huckabee and McCain.

Mike's a good, Christian man with strong, convicted values. Yeah, he did raise SOME taxes in Arkansas, but those road-improvement ones were approved by the state voters. Taxes like that are necessary to keep up infrastructure, aren't they? Besides, he cut 94 taxes and left office with an $850 million surplus. And the FairTax seems like a pretty good idea, too.

As for the war on Iraq, Mike believes we need to stay the course; "we bought Iraq because we broke it". We have to fix what we broke, not cut and run. Regarding the war on Terror, Mike says we should get the heck outta Gitmo. That place just screams "Geneva violations". Mitt Romney, on the other hand, wants to double the place. Good luck on that!

With McCain leading in New Hampshire, I'm only just now starting to take a look at him, but so far I agree with him a lot. I won't be surprised if the Republican ticket is McCain-Huckabee, or the other way around, for that matter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:19 am 

I don't like any of the candidates.
But if Hillary won I'd probably kill myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:15 am 

That's something I would certainly beat you to the punch on.

Quote:
Have you been paying attention? All Hillary is doing is attacking Obama over stupid things like the drug use from 20+ years ago. I guess when you have nothing to say about yourself, you have to attack your opponents.

She attacks Bush just as often as she attacks Obama.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:19 pm 

IantheGecko wrote:
Colorado's caucus is on Super Tuesday. My top 2 choices are Huckabee and McCain.

Mike's a good, Christian man with strong, convicted values. Yeah, he did raise SOME taxes in Arkansas, but those road-improvement ones were approved by the state voters. Taxes like that are necessary to keep up infrastructure, aren't they? Besides, he cut 94 taxes and left office with an $850 million surplus. And the FairTax seems like a pretty good idea, too.

As for the war on Iraq, Mike believes we need to stay the course; "we bought Iraq because we broke it". We have to fix what we broke, not cut and run. Regarding the war on Terror, Mike says we should get the heck outta Gitmo. That place just screams "Geneva violations". Mitt Romney, on the other hand, wants to double the place. Good luck on that!

With McCain leading in New Hampshire, I'm only just now starting to take a look at him, but so far I agree with him a lot. I won't be surprised if the Republican ticket is McCain-Huckabee, or the other way around, for that matter.

Where do you get your information from? Mike may be a Christian, but he falters at the the strong, convicted values part. Look at his history in Arkansas. As for his financial genius, may I direct you to Huckabee's biggest competition, Mitt Romney. Take a look at his financial achievements.

On another note, if Hillary or Obama make it, we're moving to Europe.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:01 pm 

MooKoo wrote:
On another note, if Hillary or Obama make it, we're moving to Europe.

You now lose the right to complain about celebrities who said they'll move to Canada if Bush won the last election.

I'm a republican, so that's mostly who I'm looking at right now, since that's the primary that I could possibly have a say in. However, once the general election happens, I don't know who I'll vote for. Here's my analysis of the republican candidates though (might explain why I'm almost leaning towards democrats)

Giuliani: Power hungry idiot. Plus, he's crazy. He wasn't popular as a mayor in New York until after 9/11, and even there, he was more of a figurehead. Actual stuff he accomplished afterwards was pretty much nothing. He was on the committee to create the report afterwards, but didn't show up to a single meeting because he was too busy giving speeches for $200,000 a pop.

Romney: Too much Ultra-conservative Kool-Aid. If he were running as the centrist that became governor of MA I'd probably support him. Too bad he's not.

Huckabee: No shot at being elected. Seems like a fine Christian, but that doesn't seem to be a perfect qualifier for office. Anti-science, FairTax is a dumb idea, and his immigration plan is ludicrous.

Duncan Hunter: Huh? Who?

Alan Keyes: Didn't he invent capitalism?

McCain: I like this guy. I don't think he's going anywhere, and that's a shame. He's also more flip-floppery than Romney, since he doesn't realize that he's on camera everywhere he goes. (Appearance 1: "We need to stay in Iraq, and we can't vote for weak candidates who will destabilize the region by withdrawing early." Appearance 2: "Once I'm elected public opinion might force me to bring the troops home quickly." within days of each other)

Ron Paul: Absolute idiot. *Entire internet burns down my house*

Thompson: I've never really liked him, and polls agree: He's much better as a pre-candidate than an actual candidate.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:09 pm 

Actually, McCain's the frontrunner in New Hampshire, so I still think he has a good chance of winning. I wouldn't mind voting for him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:28 pm 

Two words...

NOT. CLINTON.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:12 pm 

Obama is the only one who has a chance who I like. Huckabee is just a repeat of 2000: that real nice Southern guy you'd just like to chill with is way better than that silly old Democrat blabbering about issues like "alternative energy" and "prison reform." Clinton is a gigantic liar and it is obvious that everything that comes out of her mouth is only to please the greatest amount of people. Guliani wants to double Guantanamo. McCain is one of the most grating and least charismatic politicians ever. And Paul, well:

Ron Paul wrote:
If you have ever been robbed by a black teen-aged male, you know how unbelievably fleet-footed they can be.

Pretty much the two good things about him are that he voted against the Iraq War and the Patriot Act. But who cares, when he's just going to veto everything that comes his way for the next four years?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:24 pm 

racerx_is_alive wrote:
...[Huckabee's] immigration plan is ludicrous.
*GASP*
You say Chuck Norris is ludicrous?
Quote:
McCain: I like this guy. I don't think he's going anywhere, and that's a shame. He's also more flip-floppery than Romney, since he doesn't realize that he's on camera everywhere he goes. (Appearance 1: "We need to stay in Iraq, and we can't vote for weak candidates who will destabilize the region by withdrawing early." Appearance 2: "Once I'm elected public opinion might force me to bring the troops home quickly." within days of each other)
Yeah, I think that will make it hard for him in the November election. I like McCain and agree with some of his stances on the war, but I think people are just so sick of hearing everyone bash it on the news that they won't vote for someone as pro-war as McCain.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:56 pm 

I'm for Ron Paul. He's got a lot of the right ideas about how government should act and what it should and shouldn't do. Sure, some of his plans aren't completely realistic, I won't deny that some parts of them are simply the ideal form of what government should be and may not be completely plausible. But he's got the right principles and ideas to make beneficial decisions for the country. Like all the candidates, he's shooting high, and like all of them he's not going to be able to do everything he and his supporters want. But at least he's shooting for stuff I can agree with.

Jesty wrote:
[

From what I've seen, this and various other quotes of its nature were falsely written and published by a writer who was fired after the incident. I don't know how reliable the source I got that information from was, but I don't know how reliable the source you got that quote from was either.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:06 pm 

I'm not really following this, as it doesn't really directly relate to me, but I still can't wait for it to be over so I can stop hearing about Ron &*(^ing Paul.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:07 pm 
Pizza Pizza

HipHoppityFrogOfValue wrote:
I can't vote, but Ron Paul FTW.

It's bull that Fox didn't/isn't going to let him debate, and he just isn't popular because he scares the crap out of the Republican Party because they know he won't conform to their shallow political dogmas.

Also, he's for getting rid of a federal income tax, legalizing drugs, getting out of Iraq immediately, and stopping infringing on the First Amendment in the name of the so-called "War on Terror".

And if he makes it he'll be the first president with a great-grandchild.

You conveniently left out the part about ABC and the democrats denying Kucinich the chance to debate in the New Hampshire debates.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:14 pm 

Ju Ju Master wrote:
I'm for Ron Paul. He's got a lot of the right ideas about how government should act and what it should and shouldn't do. Sure, some of his plans aren't completely realistic, I won't deny that some parts of them are simply the ideal form of what government should be and may not be completely plausible. But he's got the right principles and ideas to make beneficial decisions for the country. Like all the candidates, he's shooting high, and like all of them he's not going to be able to do everything he and his supporters want. But at least he's shooting for stuff I can agree with.

Ron Paul does not have the right principles or ideas. Let's look at some of Ron Paul's legislation, shall we? Here's some choice gems:

Don't you just love Ron Paul?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:17 am 

Location: oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Well uh I agree with pretty much all of those.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:26 am 

HipHoppityFrogOfValue wrote:
Well uh I agree with pretty much all of those.

You agree with witholding aid from Iranians and only Iranians? You agree with segregating schools by race? You agree with businesses being able to pay people three cents an hour? I'm a little confused here. I don't really see any reason for these things to, you know, happen. Can you address them point by point, please?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:56 am 

Minimum wage discussion split into this thread

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:09 am 

Huckabee Colbert
Huckabeecolbert
Huckolbert
Huckleberry
That's all I got.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:26 am 

God dang it, New Hampshire...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:41 am 

Meh, at least McCain did well. But I bet you that NH is all that Hillary's gonna get.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:47 am 

Argh, I'll have to pay attention in this election, since I'll be able to vote.

As of right now, Barack seems like the most likely choice, but I dunno…

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next