Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:10 pm 

InterruptorJones wrote:
StrongCanada wrote:
Now, I know my oponents will say

Who are your "opponents"? This is a discussion, not a competition. I don't feel as though anybody is anybody else's "opponent" here.

~Strong Mad voice~ I WIN! ;)

Last edited by furrykef on Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:25 pm 

wow kef that was a great inpression of strong mad....can you teach me how to do it? :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:28 pm 

Back on topic:

God digs Strong Bad!

Seriously, though...I think God gotsta have a rockin' sense of humor...I mean...he made me! And I'm DANG funny!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:10 pm 

Yes. There's actually lots of jokes in the Bible. Most of them make more sense if you understand Hebrew, though.

Hey AgentSeeThroo, where the heck is "Squiggly line, stick-man, scribble-scrabble" anyway? I'm assuming that place that gets attacked by robots and monsters all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:57 pm 

Didymus wrote:
Hey AgentSeeThroo, where the heck is "Squiggly line, stick-man, scribble-scrabble" anyway? I'm assuming that place that gets attacked by robots and monsters all the time.

It says "my computer desk". :P "Watashi no konpyuutaa tsukue, a". Um, I dunno what the "a" at the end is doing there. ^^;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:52 pm 

I can't see his location...it's all a buncha boxes....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:57 pm 

The "a" should be "AZ".
As in Arizona.

or Arizoona...

Anywho, did you use a translator for that Kef? Or can you read Kanji?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:06 pm 

AgentSeethroo wrote:

Well it's not like there's much Kanji to deal with, there. The only Kanji is "Watashi" (which is the first Kanji everybody learns anyway) and "Tsukue". After that, the Katakana is easy and even I remember the possessive "no". :grin: Kanji dictionaries are available online. The biggest challenge is counting she strokes with the teeny font and remembering your radicals.

Last edited by InterruptorJones on Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:07 pm 

furrykef wrote:
InterruptorJones wrote:
Kupo, what does that have to do with this discussion?

StrongCanada wrote:
Now, I know my oponents will say

Who are your "opponents"? This is a discussion, not a competition. I don't feel as though anybody is anybody else's "opponent" here.

~Strong Mad voice~ I WIN! ;)

Funny Kef! :p
Anywho, I suppose I didn't mean opponents necessarily in a bad context - I was speaking generally. As in, those who may have a different opinion. And it wasn't necessarily anyone on this forum. I agree - this is not a competition, but....aww...man, I hate getting tripped up on words.

Seems to me like that happens a lot. People say one thing, and because of one word, people take it to mean something else. Oh well, I love you all, anyway!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:13 pm 

StrongCanada wrote:
I was speaking generally. As in, those who may have a different opinion.

I think this is a fundamental problem of discussing religion. When I go into a discussion of this sort, my only hope is to increase the knowledge and tolerance of everyone involved. But so many people go into such discussions hoping to "win" (and usually assuming they will :rolleyes:), which, by extension, means someone else will lose. Speaking generally, "opponent" is a synonym to "adversary" and "antagonist", which are the wrong terms to be thinking in if you want to have a successful discussion of religion. In a successful discussion, nobody loses and everybody wins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:18 pm 

I agree IJ - and I think so far, we've accomplished that...(EDIT - I mean we understand that there are no winners or losers here - we seek to better understand one another)

Now, I will pull one of your favorite tricks! ;)

opponent - 1 : one that takes an opposite position (as in a debate, contest, or conflict)

(emphasis mine, definition courtesy of Merriam-Webster Online dictionary

(finally figured out how to link! :grin: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:22 pm 

StrongCanada wrote:
opponent - 1 : one that takes an opposite position (as in a debate, contest, or conflict)

Dear, this isn't a debate, contest, or a conflict. Why do you think people are being so civil? (Nor, I could argue, has anybody taken an opposite position.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:29 pm 

You don't think this is a debate? Ok, maybe if you think that a debate has a more hostile connotation, I will simply say we are having a discussion - but there are people who agree with one side or another. Which doesn't make them wrong, or ignorant, or anything like that, it just makes them on the opposite side of the discussion. As I said before, I think we are having this discussion to educate one another, a point I believe you brought up once yourself. I really don't mean to be hostile, IJ - that's my last intention...I'm not a hostile person, I promise, and I apologize sincerely if I gave you that impression.

I have no hopes of "winning" this discussion - only that my thoughts will be heard, as you also hope. And our thoughts are being heard - I agree with the note Joey put up; we've all been pretty nice to each other, considering our differing beliefs. We can agree to disagree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:41 pm 

No apologies necessary. I didn't think you were being hostile.

When someone says "debate" I think of political and high school and college debates. In a debate, there are two or more opposing sides whose goal is to refute the opposing views of the opposing side(s). I don't know if that jives with the dictionary definition, but it seems sensible to me.

If this is a debate, I don't know which side I'm on, or which side anybody else is on. I certainly haven't called anybody else's views wrong or tried to promote mine above theirs. And with some minor exceptions, I don't think that anybody else has done that. So far I don't think anybody has aligned themselves against anybody else (excepting those, er, exceptions). In a debate, people don't ask the other debaters their opinion, and that seems to be what's mainly been going on here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:48 pm 
Resident Deity

Hey, why not use "my distinguished colleague" instead?

Or "my good friend, the representative from The King of Town's Grill"?

Heh heh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:10 pm 

AgentSeethroo wrote:

I had to look up desk/tsukue; I have some small amount of knowledge of Japanese, but it really is small. As for "AZ", that should be written in Romaji, unless you were to spell it out: アリゾナ (a ri zo na).

- Kef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:05 pm 

Location: Currently floating between universes, a ghost if you may.
*waves her English-Japanese dictionary* I have THIS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:38 am 

I didn't know Arizona got attacked by giant lizards and robots. You learn something new every day...

Post subject: Book Review
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:03 pm 
Wiki Proprietor

I'm reading a good book right now that that may be of some interest to many people frequenting this topic. It's called The Case for a Creator by Lee Strobel.

Strobel is a former legal affairs editor for the Chicago Tribune, and was an athiest until 1981. He's a very analytical person, and he describes his journey into atheism as purely scientific. Interestingly enough, he considers his decision to become a Christian mostly scientific as well.

The book is well-written and fun to read. He covers some pretty deep subjects, but it never gets boring or unnecessarily technical. He does, however, dive deep into some of the toughest questions atheists pose against Christianity, and he plays devil's advocate frequently in his interviews. Having been an atheist, he understands very well the concerns atheists hold, and he confronts them head-on.

Having come from a background of law, Strobel sets up the "case" for a creator very carefully and as accurately as possible. He doesn't accept the pat answers most Christians use to defend the faith. He is very scholarly in his research, and he's willing to be honest when things are difficult to believe.

In the book, he interviews astronomists, physicists, molecular biologists, and many other scientists, and asks them point blank whether the evidence points toward or away from the existence of God.

I have only read the first few chapters of the book, but already he has presented some point-blank evidence that every skeptic should be made aware of.

If you're interested, I can keep you posted as I read more, but I highly recommend you check it out if it is at your local library.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:16 pm 

Does it address the question of Arizona getting attacked by giant lizards and robots? :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:21 pm 

Some people are very tall and merciless. Quincy-san is destroying Arizona.

Post subject: Re: Book Review
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:16 am 
Resident Deity

JoeyDay wrote:
I'm reading a good book right now that that may be of some interest to many people frequenting this topic. It's called The Case for a Creator by Lee Strobel.

If you're interested, I can keep you posted as I read more, but I highly recommend you check it out if it is at your local library.

First of all, I have not read this book.

I did some research on it, and thought it might be a good idea to link to some topics discussed in the book (all via Wikipedia):

Ontological argument, Miller-Urey experiment, Ernst Haeckel, Hilbert's paradox of the Grand_Hotel, William Lane Craig, Cosmological argument, Stephen Hawking, Michael Behe, Stephen Jay Gould, Evolution, Creationism, and Evolutionary creationism.

Now, these are listed in no particular order and aren't all of the topics discussed, but it's a good place to get started.

Joey, I look forward to this discussion. Please keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:04 am 

furrykef wrote:
AgentSeethroo wrote:

I had to look up desk/tsukue; I have some small amount of knowledge of Japanese, but it really is small. As for "AZ", that should be written in Romaji, unless you were to spell it out: ???? (a ri zo na).

- Kef

I agree with Kef. AgentSeethroo, what character did you use for "Z"? Because it didn't show up in my browser. I couldn't figure out what you meant by "My computer desk, A". :)

(I haven't mentioned this on here, what with being new, but I absolutely LOVE Japanese!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:08 am 

私は 大馬鹿だよ~!

Yes, I know what that means. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:16 am 

[quote="furrykef"]ç§

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:28 am 

We seem to be having an encoding problem; I can't read your text for some reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:35 am 

[quote="furrykef"]We seem to be having an encoding problem; I can't read your text for some reason.[/quote]

Hmm. And I see that when I tried to quote your katakana above, it came out as ????

I'm using a Mac, set to UTF-8 (Unicode). I'm not sure which encryption scheme it's using; let me ask my brother (who owned this computer before; he lives in Japan.) BRB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:43 am 

SenoraCardgage wrote:

I'm using a Mac, set to UTF-8 (Unicode). I'm not sure which encryption scheme it's using; let me ask my brother (who owned this computer before; he lives in Japan.) BRB

He says the server may be set to something other than UTF-8. If you set your browser manually to UTF-8, can you read it?

(And should we take this to it's own thread? It just occurred to me we're hijacking this one.)

Post subject: I am a...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:55 pm 

Christian (no religious affiliation with Baptist, Methodist, or other Denominations) Just a big ol' Jesus Freak

I'm sad that he's flying.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next