Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:05 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:13 pm 

Call me ignorant, but isn't that Jewish?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:09 pm 
Wiki Proprietor

Lunar Jesters wrote:
Call me ignorant, but isn't that Jewish?

Heh... Yeah.

If these chariots are authentic, they certainly don't prove anything about Christianity, though they would support the claims of many Christians that the history of Israel is to be taken literally and not figuratively.

I find it hard to trust archeological finds of this sort of sensational nature. Although I do believe the Red Sea crossing to have been an actual historical event, it's difficult for me to believe that the chariots would still be around after having been under water for 3,500 years.

There's just so much hype and rumor surrounding this particular find that I feel it appropriate to stand back until all the evidence has been weighed before accepting it as fact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:41 pm 

Yeah, I can't see how chariots -- made of wood, mind you, which floats -- could have stayed at the bottom of the sea for thousands of years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:26 am 

Location: somewhere in the crowd of people in stus backyard...
they might have been crushed and broken boats dont float.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:30 pm 

Or the waves strurred up dirt and buried them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:37 am 

they at leats found evidence,like maybee fossils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:13 am 

I know this is off topic, but is your native language English, cyco?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:41 pm 
Wiki Proprietor

Here's a link to an article about the Red Sea "chariots" in World News Daily. Cyco, you should read this before you blindly accept it as fact. This article outlines the current research (of which there is very little) and notes some of the major arguments for and against the idea that they are authentic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:58 am 

yes im english(leats is a typo) i only heard about the research people are doing not the coral stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 6:24 am 

I was raised Baptist but became a Lutheran (LCMS), mostly because I wanted to be in a church that respected the Sacraments. I am currently at Concordia Seminary in St. Louis. In two days I graduate with my M-Div. Starting next month, I will be training at the St. Louis VA Med Center.

I like more ancient forms of worship: liturgy, chanting, Sacraments. I know this style's not popular these days, but I find it personally edifying, more so than newer forms. What makes a greater impact on people's lives than worship style is a congregation that reaches out and embraces people with the Word of Christ. It is Christ Himself who makes people Christians, not worship style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:27 pm 
Wiki Proprietor

I'm still working on my bachelor's degree, but I've been seriously considering going to seminary for quite a while. I have a 1400 page theology textbook my fiancée got me for Christmas and I can't put it down.

I haven't felt a definite call to ministry, so I'm keeping my options open, but I know I have a passion for the scriptures. I have been told by others that I have the spiritual gift of wisdom.

I'm kindof at a crossroads right now in deciding upon a major. Didymus, do you think there is any particular major I should go into that would help me get into a seminary? Or do they not really care what you have your bachelor's degree in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:33 pm 

Wow...seminary. I'd love to do that, but then I'd just end up becoming a chaplain for the Air Force, and I'm not sure if that's where I'm called...
I feel a pretty intense calling to do musical ministry.
We'll just see what God wants me to do, ya know?

Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:12 pm 

JoeyDay wrote:
Didymus, do you think there is any particular major I should go into that would help me get into a seminary? Or do they not really care what you have your bachelor's degree in?

I'd say try to take biblical languages as early as possible. A lot of guys come here without them and it puts a lot of unnecessary stress on them. Taking Greek and Hebrew in college (if offered) will help you a lot. Latin might also help, but is not necessary.

Most seminaries expect a Bachelor's degree in something, but not all of them require it to be in theology or biblical studies. I majored in the Humanities in college. It was at a Christian college, so the whole curriculum related to Scripture, and it also gave me well-rounded exposure to the classics, like Augustine and Dante.

Josh, seminary can also help prepare you for music ministry, too, especially if you plan to write your own songs. Rich Mullins was steeped in his theological studies. Also, it looks good on a resume if the worship leader or music ministry has a degree in theology. But mainly, I think, being trained in God's Word shapes you for ministry, and seminary can help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:30 am 

I really hate to have a sub-conversation, but could you please use proper grammmar and splelling like the rest of us, cyco?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:44 pm 

I'm Jewish! Although I don't go to services all that much. I'm a Conservative Jew. I do feel pretty spiritual, tho.. I talk w/ G-d a decent amount,.. we're tight. But it's not like I ask him for any miracles or anything... he'd just laugh and say "whatever".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:15 pm 

socetew wrote:
I'm Jewish! Although I don't go to services all that much. I'm a Conservative Jew. I do feel pretty spiritual, tho.. I talk w/ G-d a decent amount,.. we're tight. But it's not like I ask him for any miracles or anything... he'd just laugh and say "whatever".

You don't need to dash out the word God. It's not a swear.

Oh wait, unless you're one of those people who believes that His name should rarely be spoken for fear it will be said in vain. In that case, never mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:40 pm 
Wiki Proprietor

Gemini, Jewish people regularly dash out that word. According to my limited understanding, they do feel that the word should rarely be spoken. I don't want to be rude, but you should be careful posting stuff like this in the future. If I were Jewish I might take offense at what you've said above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:26 pm 

cyco wrote:

its pretty much impossible that there were chariots in the Red Sea, because Moses did not cross the Red Sea. If you trace his path, via the cities that he crossed, as stated in the Bible, he does not go through the Red Sea. The English translation of the Bible mixes up a Hebrew (or Aramiac, i forget wat language its originally written in) the translation for Red and Reed. He does cross something called the Reed Sea. Don't get me wrong, I am a devout Catholic, but many people get that story wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 3:05 am 

hawaiicanal89 wrote:
cyco wrote:

its pretty much impossible that there were chariots in the Red Sea, because Moses did not cross the Red Sea. If you trace his path, via the cities that he crossed, as stated in the Bible, he does not go through the Red Sea. The English translation of the Bible mixes up a Hebrew (or Aramiac, i forget wat language its originally written in) the translation for Red and Reed. He does cross something called the Reed Sea. Don't get me wrong, I am a devout Catholic, but many people get that story wrong.

So you mean to tell us that Red and Reed are close not only in English, but in another language as well? I find that highly unlikely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:18 am 

I'm techinally aethiest, but some kid at my school is bugging me into becoming christian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:19 am 

I usually try to stay OUT of relgious debates, but:
Ask the Rabbi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:20 am 

Same here, execpt without the "Ask the Rabbi"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:01 pm 

There is strong evidence that the Gulf of Suez actually stretched much closer to the Mediterrainian Sea in ancient times, and that it has since receeded to its present location. It is very likely that it was indeed the Gulf of Suez that Moses and the Israelites crossed (in those days, they were called Israelites, not Jews). If this is the case, then the debris from the chariots is probably not underwater at all. The Lake of Manzilah is one of the other possibilities.

As for the language problem, reed in Hebrew is suf, whereas red is edom. The confusion is most likely a uniquely English mistake.

Post subject: Funny picture...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:49 pm 
Wiki Proprietor

I thought about posting this in the jokes thread, but then I thought it might fit in a little better on this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:42 am 

Joey Day -- Kudos for bringing up an important topic. Someone (a Muslim) I met recently told me, "To discuss God is to worship Him." and I believe this is true.

I was raised a Christian by my parents and realized very recently that the only reason I was a Christian was because I didn't want to make my parents upset. I am 26 years old, and the thought that my mother would tell me, "You are going to hell" terrifies me.

I just can't ignore the basics of Christianity that offend me. I believe that religion today has such limited potenial for what God wants of us: the basis of homophobia, fear of other religions, the idea of the crusades (which I believe this American war against terrorism has become -- ask any Muslim), fear of sex, fear of hell -- Religion presents so many bad sides that I cannot subscribe anymore.

I talk more about God now that I am not religious more that I ever did before.

I hate the word 'agnostic,' I believe that is a word by Christians who like to label others. Hope I don't offend, I don't mean to. My beliefs are changing every day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:05 am 

lumberjack- No, agnostic isn't something christians label others as. They label others as christians that don't know it yet. ;)

NOTE: I'm not talking about your everyday christian here. I'm talking mostly about the rabid, hardcore fundamentalists that hate just about everybody. So nobody be offended.

Anyway, if you don't like the word agnostic and aren't really firm enough in beliefs to call yourself an athiest, just call yourself nonreligious. It works for most of the people I know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:51 am 

lumberjack vegetable wrote:
I just can't ignore the basics of Christianity that offend me. I believe that religion today has such limited potenial for what God wants of us: the basis of homophobia, fear of other religions, the idea of the crusades (which I believe this American war against terrorism has become -- ask any Muslim), fear of sex, fear of hell -- Religion presents so many bad sides that I cannot subscribe anymore.

The problem with your logic is that these faults you find are not within the belief system of Christianity itself, but within the establishment and the poeple placed in power who choose to abuse it. Just because a pastor commits a sin does not mean the Bible allows it or condones it. Just because the organization screws up doesn't mean the ideals are flawed, just that humans are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:11 pm 

But the idea of Christianity is the organization. The great majority of Christian organizations and people in power feel this way, and in my opinion, make the church's beluiefs something I can not associate myself with anymore.

The Christian people that do follow the teachings of Jesus seem to be the exception these days. The war on terror, same sex fear, et. al. do not constitute loving your neighbor or turning the other cheek. Jesus is the best teacher of all time, but the dogma that follows in his religion is destructive. I don't see how you can separate the organization from the religion. Or maybe I have watched too much Pat Robertson lately.

as always, not meaning to offend (I guess I need to put that there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:03 pm 
Wiki Proprietor

I split this post. Those interested in continuing the discussion on the war on terror can find a "War on Terror" thread in the off-subject discussion.

If you're interested in helping everyone get to know you a little better by telling us what religious denomination you align yourself with (if any), feel free to continue the discussion here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:20 pm 

Invisible Pink Unicorn, anybody? Joey?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next