Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Michael Moore Thread-Good Guy or Bad Guy?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:36 am 

Hi putting it out there!What u guys think about Mike Moore.He Has released two movies, many books and a TV show.
You've seen him plenty?
Is he Good
Bad
or Ugly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:38 am 

He's released more than just two movies. I used to have some respect for him, but after seeing Farenheit 9/11 and the amount of emotional pull he tried to use instead of trying to make a legitimate, fact-filled documentary...I just lost the respect I had for him.

FOR PONY!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:45 am 
Pizza Pizza

PianoManGidley wrote:
He's released more than just two movies. I used to have some respect for him, but after seeing Farenheit 9/11 and the amount of emotional pull he tried to use instead of trying to make a legitimate, fact-filled documentary...I just lost the respect I had for him.

I feel the same way.
First off, Canadian Bacon was friggin' hillarious.
On the documentary front, he had something going with Roger and Me, and with the follow up to that (I'm thinking it was called The Big One), but then, he sort of lost his way, stopped fighting for the working class people and started going off on political crusades, and leaving hard hitting facts for pathetic emotional pandering, one-sided arguments, half-truthes, and out-and-out lies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:47 am 

he's a liar and propagandist. he's such an butt that even when i agree with him, i don't want to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:59 am 
Pizza Pizza

Cobalt wrote:
he's a liar and propagandist. he's such an -CENSOR'd!!- that even when i agree with him, i don't want to.

Wow, I pretty much feel the same way about Bill O'Reilly.

They're very similar in their tactics.
1) The half-truth
2) The one sided story
3) The "yell til the other side shuts up" argument
4) The Ad Hominem attack.

Too bad Michael Moore isn't conservative. It'd be rofflicious to see "The No Spin Zone" followed by the "Where's My Burrito Zone".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:05 am 

i also feel that way about Bill O'Reilly. he's a total jerk as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:06 am 

I pity him. His actions are so low and despicable, it's hard to imagine how he justifies himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:01 am 

sb_enail.com wrote:
I pity him. His actions are so low and despicable, it's hard to imagine how he justifies himself.

Come on - it's hardly as if he's a baby-killer.

Me, I think he's entertaining, but I'd be hard pressed to believe everything he's putting out there. I'd have pretty much the same opinion as StrongRad - his older stuff (like the Awful Truth) was much better, and decidedly less skewed than Fahrenheit 9/11.

(Not to say that he was totally unbiased back in the day - he wasn't - but less skewed nonetheless).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:47 pm 

ABP'd!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:54 pm 

Michael Moore has been pushed to get into politics by his friends.
Would you vote for him?
He too old?
Your thoughts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:16 pm 

Karmaism wrote:
Would you vote for him?
He too old?
Your thoughts

Where are you getting that from?

Anyways, this topic has been officially ABP'd...... so...... if the mods want to merge/lock it....?

Though I like this thread better. Note the absence of Rose v. lahimatoa death-duels. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:21 pm 

Hey, I was civil and posted intelligent argument in that thread. As far as I can remember.

(hurries to go read the thread)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:22 pm 

What's Her Face wrote:
Karmaism wrote:
Would you vote for him?
He too old?
Your thoughts

Where are you getting that from?

Anyways, this topic has been officially ABP'd...... so...... if the mods want to merge/lock it....?

Though I like this thread better. Note the absence of Rose v. lahimatoa death-duels. ;)

His commentary on Farehnheit 9/11 is where i got it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:24 pm 
Pizza Pizza

What's Her Face wrote:

That's precisely the reason I've kept it. This thread was made out of purposeful meaning, not out of response to a complete jerkie. (and Lahi, that wasn't meant as a stab at you in the least)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:28 pm 

StrongRad wrote:
What's Her Face wrote:

That's precisely the reason I've kept it. This thread was made out of purposeful meaning, not out of response to a complete jerkie. (and Lahi, that wasn't meant as a stab at you in the least)

Ty
Alot has happened since that thread and we needed to revive this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:30 pm 

Okay, never mind. I was at least aggressive in that thread.

Anyway, do whatever you want, mods. I still feel kinda sad that I put all that work and research into my initial post and no one even tried to dispute the main points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:35 pm 

Karmaism wrote:
StrongRad wrote:
What's Her Face wrote:

Ty
Alot has happened since that thread and we needed to revive this.

Yeah, he said that this thread was fine. So on with the carnival......

I'd doubt if Michael Moore would enter into politics, just based on something said in passing on the Fahreheit 9/11 commentary.

No...... Politics wouldn't be his scene at all. He'd be taking the blame rather than dishing it out. Nope, not his scene. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:03 am 

I thought it wouldn't work either.
Also he Doesn't have the Leadership look.
No suit, Wild hair,Big Glasses,Big waist Baseball cap-
I don't know it would be wierd and he couldn't lead a country or a city let alone America.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:38 am 
Pizza Pizza

lahimatoa wrote:
Okay, never mind. I was at least aggressive in that thread.

Anyway, do whatever you want, mods. I still feel kinda sad that I put all that work and research into my initial post and no one even tried to dispute the main points.

Well, Lahi, someone tried... :p

Actually, if I were you, I'd post that here. Your DID make some really good points. Too bad it got mucked up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:14 am 

At the suggestion of StrongRad, here goes...

Someone who's gone now wrote:
I know this is offtopic, but I feel compelled to defend Michael Moore. Sure, he does sometimes exaggerate things to an eye-rolling, obnoxious extent and can take things out of context in a similar way, but I've yet to hear any of the basic facts against Bush in Fahrenehit 9/11, for instance, convincingly refuted as false.

:eek:

This is for everyone on the forum who has been living in a cave since this movie came out. Fahrenheit 9-11 is anything BUT factual, as anyone who bothers to do a little fact-checking will understand.

For example, from this source:

Quote:
We are introduced to Iraq, "a sovereign nation." (In fact, Iraq's "sovereignty" was heavily qualified by international sanctions, however questionable, which reflected its noncompliance with important U.N. resolutions.) In this peaceable kingdom, according to Moore's flabbergasting choice of film shots, children are flying little kites, shoppers are smiling in the sunshine, and the gentle rhythms of life are undisturbed. Then—wham! From the night sky come the terror weapons of American imperialism. Watching the clips Moore uses, and recalling them well, I can recognize various Saddam palaces and military and police centers getting the treatment. But these sites are not identified as such. In fact, I don't think Al Jazeera would, on a bad day, have transmitted anything so utterly propagandistic.

You do know who Al Jazeera is, don't you?

This site lists "59 deceits in Fahrenheit 9-11".

Dave Kopel wrote:
"Moore thus creates the false impression that the networks withdrew their claim about Gore winning Florida when they heard that Fox said that Bush won Florida."

"How did Bush win Florida? 'Second, make sure the chairman of your campaign is also the vote count woman.' Actually Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris (who was Bush's Florida co-chair, not "the chairman") was not the 'vote count woman.' Vote counting in Florida is performed by the election commissioners in each of Florida's counties. The Florida Secretary of State merely certifies the reported vote. The office does not count votes."

"Castigating the allegedly lazy President, Moore says, 'Or perhaps he just should have read the security briefing that was given to him on August 6, 2001 that said that Osama bin Laden was planning to attack America by hijacking airplanes.'

Moore supplies no evidence for his assertion that President Bush did not read the August 6, 2001 Presidential Daily Brief. Moore’s assertion appears to be a complete fabrication."

"You mock the 'coalition of the willing' by only showing the tiny countries that have voiced support. But you leave out England, Spain, Italy and Poland. Why?

Moore: 'This film exists as a counterbalance to what you see on cable news about the coalition. I’m trying to counter the Orwellian nature of the Big Lie, as if when you hear that term, the ‘coalition,’ that the whole world is behind us.'"

"Moore mocks Attorney General John Ashcroft by pointing out that Ashcroft once lost a Senate race in Missouri to a man who had died three weeks earlier. "Voters preferred the dead guy," Moore says, delivering one of the film’s biggest laugh lines.

It’s a cheap shot. When voters in Missouri cast their ballots for the dead man, Mel Carnahan, they knew they were really voting for Carnahan’s very much alive widow, Jean. The Democratic governor of Missouri had vowed to appoint Jean to the job if Mel won."

"Moore wraps up the 'vacation' segment: 'It was a summer to remember. And when it was over, he left Texas for his second favorite place.' The movie then shows Bush in Florida. Actually, he went back to Washington, where he gave a speech on August 31."

And from here:

Quote:
At the end of F911 Michael Moore quotes Condoleeza Rice as saying, “Oh, indeed there is a tie between Iraq and what happened on 9/11.” As usual, just like he did with the Charlton Heston speech in BFC, Mike plays fast and loose with the truth through the world of editing.

Pretty damning stuff, isn’t it? But that was the truncated, Michael Moore version. Now for the full, unexpurgated quote:

“Oh, indeed there is a tie between Iraq and what happened on 9/11. It’s not that Saddam Hussein was somehow himself and his regime involved in 9/11, but, if you think about what caused 9/11, it is the rise of ideologies of hatred that lead people to drive airplanes into buildings in New York.”

Well that’s a different quote, Mike. So why the editing?

I'm not saying that Moore doesn't make some valid points. I'm not saying President Bush is infalliable and has never told a lie. I'm not saying I'm sold about the US being in Iraq.

What I am saying is that Michael Moore is an entertainer. He exists to sell DVDs and get paid to bash on the president. Even those on the left won't defend him, except for those who are radically opposed to everything the current administration does.

Bottom line: Moore lied in Farehnheit 9-11. Also Bowling For Columbine, but I'll let you figure out what was horribly innacurate in that one.

If anyone feels like disputing these points or anything I've said here, please feel free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:52 am 

Moore acts with heart-he shows grit and passion taking on the government and lies of the conservative right.
Moore made a bias documentary-its bias no doubt opinions are allowed and he states facts and shows why he feels so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:24 am 
Pizza Pizza

Karmaism wrote:
Moore acts with heart-he shows grit and passion taking on the government and lies of the conservative right.
Moore made a bias documentary-its bias no doubt opinions are allowed and he states facts and shows why he feels so.

Moore takes on the government and lies of the right the way Bill O'Reilly takes on the liberal media...

He should counter "lies" with truth, not more lies, not half-truthes, not wild assumptions, charged statements, or ad hominem attacks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:24 pm 

There is a reason he is popular.He connects the dots and shows faults of the Bush Admin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:26 pm 

Location: Underneath a big clock at the corner of 5th Avenue and 22nd Street...
I personally enjoyed Bowling for columbine. I know ot everything is true, but I did like how Mike said that they were blaming everything else, so why not blame bowling. It was the last thing they did before the attack apparently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:29 pm 

DarkSideOfTheSchwartz wrote:
I personally enjoyed Bowling for columbine. I know ot everything is true, but I did like how Mike said that they were blaming everything else, so why not blame bowling. It was the last thing they did before the attack apparently.

One of my favourite lines as well.I like the opening when he gets the gun at the bank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:48 pm 

A brief history of america is pretty good too

toastpaint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:17 pm 

Ahhh, Michael Moore. Few figures are as divisive. My view is that he's on the right track, but he just goes about everything wrong, kinda like Ann Coulter, except she's not on the right track.

Bowling for Columbine was good, or at least what I saw of it was good, but I didn't see Fahrenheit 9/11. And no, he shouldn't run for anything. He'd be crushed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:40 pm 
Pizza Pizza

Karmaism wrote:

One of my favourite lines as well.I like the opening when he gets the gun at the bank.

Except that's totally faked. They didn't give guns at banks. Even if they did, the stuff you have to go through to get a gun would make it pretty easy to catch someone who would try to rob the bank with the gun they just got there.
What you weren't told is that the guns were shipped to a gun store, and you had to pick them up there.
Those guns, on that gunrack above the cashier were non-firing replicas. No bank would be that stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:25 am 

but the teller said they had a gun vault in the bank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:45 am 
Pizza Pizza

but the teller said they had a gun vault in the bank.

For a bank to legally transfer a firearm, they would have to be federally licensed. A Federal Firearms License is a real pain to obtain, it's entirely doubtful that a bank would go through that expense of both money and time just to get an FFL for some promotion.

Also, the employee featured in the film told the Wall Street Journal that the whole thing was staged.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next