Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:56 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:57 am
Posts: 2981
Location: Oklahoma City
I thought I posted in this thread already, but I guess I haven't. So...

I think this is the best e-mail ever. I was cracking up while Strong Bad was reading the gibberish... I was cracking up with the whole idea of Edgarware (The picture of Edgar, how it was hacked up in his basement, it was version 0.0001, "Last scan was NEVER ago"), especially the "virus high score" screen ("423,827 Viruses Found -- A New Record!!")... I was cracking up with "Computer over -- Virus = Very Yes"... I calmed down a bit after that, beginning to get overwhelmed with the ensuing insanity, especially Homestar stealing the words, and the popups. I'm pretty sure I cracked up again when Strong Mad said "I CAN'T SPELL YOU!!"... I was pretty shocked when Bubs shot the computer, though not necessarily in a bad way. Then of course there was the final laugh when Strong Bad brought up the boxing gloves question for the first time in forever. Wow.

Our wiki seems to be getting pretty messed up with the fun facts, though. For instance, somebody misheard Marzipan say "Strong Man" instead of "Strong Mad", and had to write a fun fact about it being a "reference" to the 1936 toons. Come on, she's not even saying "Strong Man".

Before somebody tells me I'm wrong: yes, when she says "Strong Mad" the "d" is very indistinct, but that doesn't make it an "n". You don't have to actually hear the "duh" sound for a "d" to be there. Here, try this: say "Strong Ma" and quickly close your lips together while touching your upper teeth with your tongue. (This is more or less what happens when you say "Strong Mad" quickly enough in the middle of a sentence.) You'll hear something that could be either "Strong Mad" or "Strong Man" -- your brain will fill in the missing letter from context. Context says that in this case, it's a "d".

But whatever. The Fun Facts fill about a third of the page. That's crazy. Maybe we need some kind of approval process -- create a separate page for tentative fun facts (not for each toon -- one page should do for all the toons and e-mails), and add them to the page as they get approved, refined, rejected, etc. People would still be able to correct stuff that's already there, and they could just go ahead with the really, really obvious stuff -- nobody's gonna mind noting that "FLAGRANT SYSTEM ERROR" came from "50 e-mails", since it very obviously did, or that "I can do it! I can do it nine times!" is from "crazy cartoon". But, to use an example from "cheatday", Strong Bad saying "Get outta here kid!" isn't necessarily an obvious reference to the Thnikkaman, so that'd have to go through the approval process.

Wow. This was long and rambly. Umm... bye!

- Kef


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:47 am
Posts: 5
You know, I think Homsar was in this email, just in such a different form that no one recognized him. I personally believe he manifested that strip of the main page, hence the 'Stave it off' quote on it and the immediate amount of abnormalty with the buttons on it that early in the email. Another subtle clue is that 'he' appeared in the same screen as Strong Sad enters, one of the only people who can tolerate him on the entire site.

:eek: I have to lay off the college analysis...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:47 pm
Posts: 613
Location: Not here
The thing that mostly irritates me, furrykef, is how some people keep INSISTING ON PUTTING FUN FACTS BACK UP THAT AREN'T NECESSARY AND HAVE BEEN TAKEN DOWN SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE. What part of "not accepted" do these people not understand?

_________________
Yeah. Shut up, kid.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:05 am
Posts: 88
People are stupid. It comes with having a Wiki. You're giving power to the morons, unfortunately. :eek:

Best email I've ever seen! And yeah, I have a feeling they'll probably go with the Lappy. WIth a laptop, they can change up the scenery a little bit from just using SB's computer room. They can have him checking emails out in the field (like he did with the Pom Pilot), they can have his laptop's battery die in the middle of an email... Or they can stick him back in the computer room where he belongs. It gives a lot more creative flexibility.

Oh and I don't mean to go off topic, but to the guy who said several pages ago that he thought TBC were showing us what Matrix would be like with a virus...um...Smith WAS a virus. Hence him "infecting" everything around him, creating all those Smiths. Hence Neo's line "the program Smith has grown beyond your (the machines') control." In other words, he was infected. Anyway, so yeah. Sorry for the ramble. :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:55 pm
Posts: 1060
Location: Next to that SPIDER ON YOUR SHOULDER! Ha, made ya look.
Jake-A-Roonie wrote:
Oh and I don't mean to go off topic, but to the guy who said several pages ago that he thought TBC were showing us what Matrix would be like with a virus...um...Smith WAS a virus. Hence him "infecting" everything around him, creating all those Smiths. Hence Neo's line "the program Smith has grown beyond your (the machines') control." In other words, he was infected. Anyway, so yeah. Sorry for the ramble. :P


Actually, that is kinda what The Matrix would be like with a virus. Just in case you haven't go rent/buy/steal a copy of The Animatrix and watch the segment called Beyond.

_________________
The Incoherology Trilogy

Check out my tale, and I promise to start posting again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:44 pm
Posts: 39
Behold, the new Compy!

Image

_________________
Scroll buttons are good, they move you up and down...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 14
SO has anyone deciphered what the quote of the week/Marzipan is "SPELL"-ing? It is just a little bit on the side of intelligible, like if it were speeded up or something


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:41 pm
Posts: 31
Location: In the Electroverse
A thought..... the mointor was the only thing really er.... shotgunned. Unless the main box and the monitor are one in the same (Ah! C64s.... memories.....), why doesn't he just run out and get a new monitor? But I guess since everything stopped when Bub's shot it, they're one in the same. If that's the case.... where the heck are the processors and stuff kept? Shouldn't there be a little more than a mointor there? That Compy is a contradictory enigma in itself!

Anyways, I loved that e-mail. Again, one of my favs next to the ghost hunting one and Japanese Cartoon. I felt sorry for Strong Bad.

~Kamui.EXE

_________________
http://www.strongglad.mindsay.com
(A 'friend's' site. Please visit!)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:09 pm
Posts: 7
Quote:
The Fun Facts fill about a third of the page. That's crazy.


I love how a bunch of them are just "the sound heard when such-and-such happens is the same sound used in...". I mean, sure, it's a Fact, but since when is that kind of thing Fun? It's called Fun Facts for a reason. Why would we ever want to know where a random sound effect has been used before? It almost seems like we're accusing TBC of not creating totally unique sounds for each and every cartoon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 6:05 am
Posts: 5636
Location: swirlee.org for great justice
Sokko wrote:
I love how a bunch of them are just "the sound heard when such-and-such happens is the same sound used in...". I mean, sure, it's a Fact, but since when is that kind of thing Fun? It's called Fun Facts for a reason. Why would we ever want to know where a random sound effect has been used before? It almost seems like we're accusing TBC of not creating totally unique sounds for each and every cartoon.


You're mistaken here. You see, while TBC occasionally reuse sound effects, this toon is unique in the sheer number of things which are reused from previous toons. The bulk of TBC's reuse of previous material in this email is obviously intentional, and that's why it's noteworthy.

_________________
StrongCanada wrote:
Jordan, you are THE SUCK at kissing! YAY! Just thought you should know! Rainbows! Sunshine!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:57 am
Posts: 2981
Location: Oklahoma City
Yeah, but do we need to fill a third of the page with it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 6:05 am
Posts: 5636
Location: swirlee.org for great justice
furrykef wrote:
Yeah, but do we need to fill a third of the page with it?


Not necessarily. It could probably be condensed into one Fact, e.g. "Man sounds heard in this email are from previous toons, including: x, y, and z"

_________________
StrongCanada wrote:
Jordan, you are THE SUCK at kissing! YAY! Just thought you should know! Rainbows! Sunshine!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:40 pm
Posts: 34
Quote:
Shouldn't there be a little more than a mointor there? That Compy is a contradictory enigma in itself!


There are real computers like that. In fact a character on the site has a real computer like that. I'm talking of course about the Tangerine Dream (an iMac).

The fun facts thing is a two-way street, remember. Anybody can put anything up, but anybody can also delete anything. Just because something is removed doesn't mean it was removed by an official. Everyone has a different opinion of what's a "Fun Fact". Members don't have authority over other members, the only way for it to be organized is if the people in charge do it. If they decide to I back them up completely, but otherwise it's just a matter of two people with differing opinions.

_________________
Gryffins Rock
Favorite Quote:
Fightgar: It's over Blue Lazor
Blue Lazor: "WHAT THE CRAP?!?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:57 am
Posts: 2981
Location: Oklahoma City
unknownwarrior33 wrote:
The fun facts thing is a two-way street, remember. Anybody can put anything up, but anybody can also delete anything. Just because something is removed doesn't mean it was removed by an official. Everyone has a different opinion of what's a "Fun Fact". Members don't have authority over other members, the only way for it to be organized is if the people in charge do it. If they decide to I back them up completely, but otherwise it's just a matter of two people with differing opinions.


Of course. I know how a wiki works as much as anybody; out of the regulars here I'm sure I place among the top ten for those who have made the most edits to Wikipedia (I've made some 1650 edits, I think, going back to June 2003). A wiki should be self-moderating, but it should still be moderated. We want the "good" kind of anarchy, not the "bad" kind - differing opinions is fine, but it sucks when it makes the content suffer. Wikipedia itself has some means for moderation, for instance, the Village Pump is a jury-rigged moderation forum of sorts, and you have pages like "Votes for Deletion".

- Kef


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:56 am
Posts: 55
Location: Bothell, Washington
Here's an intresting thing to think about. I don't know if TBC did this on purpose, or just a coincidence.

But being the baseball fan I am, and Mariners fan I am, that Edgar Spy Ware thing may be a reference to Edgar Martinez, the recently retired Seattle Mariners designated hitter.

Because think about it before you all start laughing at me.

It bares his first name, and also, it said Copyright 1982 on the bottom right hand corner of the screen. That's the same year Edgar signed his first contract with the Mariners organization. I believe Marty Martinez, a Mariners scout at the time, signed him in December 1982. Although he didn't get to the big leagues until 1987. And there may be a little tribute to Edgar because Strong Bad called Edgar his main man. And maybe the "drop a train on him" statement refers to either Edgar crushing opposing pitchers, and/or referring to the trains that go by Safeco Field.

Now if I'm correct, I think one of the TBC follows the Atlanta Braves, so he may follow baseball too. And I know there was a Hank Aaron reference in the Experimental Film video, (755 on one of the test questions, same career number of home run's Hank Aaron hit.)

So there may be a little food for thought.
Think about that, and respond letting me know what you think.

Oh by the way,
To kind of quote the classic Homestar popup:
THIS...EMAIL...WAS...TOTALLY...AWESOME!

ON A SCALE OF 1-10:
Randomness=10
Humor=10
Including all characters=9.5 (No Homsar)
Creativity=10
Storytelling=9

Hey, maybe I should do that kind of ratings system each week for you guys. Whaddya think?

_________________
-Homsar rules!
-Cheat Commandos Rock Rock On!
-SB Emails are awesome!
-Edgar Martinez belongs in the Baseball Hall Of Fame!
and of course . . .
GO MARINERS!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:56 am
Posts: 55
Location: Bothell, Washington
Geez, did I kill this post?

_________________
-Homsar rules!
-Cheat Commandos Rock Rock On!
-SB Emails are awesome!
-Edgar Martinez belongs in the Baseball Hall Of Fame!
and of course . . .
GO MARINERS!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:57 am
Posts: 2981
Location: Oklahoma City
Forum thread over. Killing = Very Yes. :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:35 pm
Posts: 8
Location: Freeland, MI
I thought it was cool. I wonder what Compy #3 will be?

_________________
I say come on fhqwhgads


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:41 pm
Posts: 31
Location: In the Electroverse
unknownwarrior33 wrote:
Quote:
Shouldn't there be a little more than a mointor there? That Compy is a contradictory enigma in itself!


There are real computers like that. In fact a character on the site has a real computer like that. I'm talking of course about the Tangerine Dream (an iMac).


Eh..? This one is going to bug me. The closest thing I've seen to that was probably the C64 and a few weird Macs (Then again, macs are always weird....) Like I said, until I figure out where everything is, this one is going to really drive me crazy!

~Kamui.EXE

_________________
http://www.strongglad.mindsay.com
(A 'friend's' site. Please visit!)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:57 am
Posts: 2981
Location: Oklahoma City
Well, the answer to the question of why Strong Bad's computer died when Bubs shot the monitor is very, very simple:

It was dang funny.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:41 pm
Posts: 31
Location: In the Electroverse
furrykef wrote:
unknownwarrior33 wrote:
The fun facts thing is a two-way street, remember. Anybody can put anything up, but anybody can also delete anything. Just because something is removed doesn't mean it was removed by an official. Everyone has a different opinion of what's a "Fun Fact". Members don't have authority over other members, the only way for it to be organized is if the people in charge do it. If they decide to I back them up completely, but otherwise it's just a matter of two people with differing opinions.


Of course. I know how a wiki works as much as anybody; out of the regulars here I'm sure I place among the top ten for those who have made the most edits to Wikipedia (I've made some 1650 edits, I think, going back to June 2003). A wiki should be self-moderating, but it should still be moderated. We want the "good" kind of anarchy, not the "bad" kind - differing opinions is fine, but it sucks when it makes the content suffer. Wikipedia itself has some means for moderation, for instance, the Village Pump is a jury-rigged moderation forum of sorts, and you have pages like "Votes for Deletion".

- Kef


There's only one kind of anarchy which would be it's true meaning.... total peace. There really are no "two kinds of anarchy." Again, another random trivial fact from the dictonary of misinformation.

~Kamui.EXE

_________________
http://www.strongglad.mindsay.com
(A 'friend's' site. Please visit!)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:57 am
Posts: 2981
Location: Oklahoma City
Um. Yeah. I just did some pruning and I separated the fun facts from references for now, BTW.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:44 pm
Posts: 39
KamuiEXE wrote:
unknownwarrior33 wrote:
Quote:
Shouldn't there be a little more than a mointor there? That Compy is a contradictory enigma in itself!


There are real computers like that. In fact a character on the site has a real computer like that. I'm talking of course about the Tangerine Dream (an iMac).


Eh..? This one is going to bug me. The closest thing I've seen to that was probably the C64 and a few weird Macs (Then again, macs are always weird....) Like I said, until I figure out where everything is, this one is going to really drive me crazy!

~Kamui.EXE


Compaq came out with a sort of Macintosh clone called a, get this, Compaq Presario 425. Wouldn't be surprised if this was the inspiration for the Compy 386.

Image

_________________
Scroll buttons are good, they move you up and down...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 6:05 am
Posts: 5636
Location: swirlee.org for great justice
paxman356 wrote:
Compaq came out with a sort of Macintosh clone called a, get this, Compaq Presario 425. Wouldn't be surprised if this was the inspiration for the Compy 386.


I think this is the worst analyses ever. Okay, that's hyperbole, but let's consider some facts:
  • Fact 1: The Presario 425 was a 486, not a 386.
  • Fact 2: The Presario 425 came bundled with Windows 3.1 and booted to it by default.
  • Fact 3: Though it looked vagule Mac-like, that's pretty much where the similarity ends. It wasn't a "Mac clone".
  • Fact 4: The word Computer also begins with the same letters as Compy.
DEBUNK'D!

However, it is true that there have been lots and lots of computers that included the monitor and components in the same box. Compy 386 sure doesn't look like that sort of computer, but we've never seen the box itself, so it could be.

_________________
StrongCanada wrote:
Jordan, you are THE SUCK at kissing! YAY! Just thought you should know! Rainbows! Sunshine!


Last edited by InterruptorJones on Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:57 am
Posts: 2981
Location: Oklahoma City
Maybe, but suggesting that "Compy" comes from "Compaq" is pretty silly. I'd suggest it's far more likely that Compy and Compaq come directly from the same root word: computer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:44 pm
Posts: 1528
Location: In da basement
His computer must be in his monitor, otherwise he could just get a new monitor. When you see the hole in the Compy, it just looks like a monitor without any computer components. It would be funny if he just ended up buying the same computer.

_________________
[porplemontage studios]
>>internet entertainment


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 6:05 am
Posts: 5636
Location: swirlee.org for great justice
porplemontage wrote:
When you see the hole in the Compy, it just looks like a monitor without any computer components.


Actually, it just looks like a couple of big gears and a boat propeller. It looks nothing like the inside of a monitor.

_________________
StrongCanada wrote:
Jordan, you are THE SUCK at kissing! YAY! Just thought you should know! Rainbows! Sunshine!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:44 pm
Posts: 1528
Location: In da basement
You do have a point there. I don't know too much about how monitors work, but I know that there's no boat propeller. The Compy's technology must be too advanced for us to even begin to comprehend.

_________________
[porplemontage studios]
>>internet entertainment


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 6:05 am
Posts: 5636
Location: swirlee.org for great justice
Thinking about it, I think that the big gears and the chunky fan were intentional on the part of TBC to illustrate just how old Compy 386 really was. I mean, if it had had glistening microchips and circuit boards inside, it would have seemed, er.. modern.

_________________
StrongCanada wrote:
Jordan, you are THE SUCK at kissing! YAY! Just thought you should know! Rainbows! Sunshine!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:18 pm
Posts: 51
Location: AAAAAAAAAAAHH!
Wow.

Umm...

Yeah.

That was...quite an interesting e-mail. It wasn't really funny. It was random. But it was still really good. Not the BEST. I liked the idea, but they could have expanded on it a little bit more.

Very artistic, one of the best in a while. Good. 4/5


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group