Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Rate this SBEmail!
5 - Awesome 29%  29%  [ 25 ]
4 - Very good 30%  30%  [ 26 ]
3 - Okay 25%  25%  [ 22 ]
2 - Disappointing 11%  11%  [ 10 ]
1 - Terrible 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 87
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:38 pm 

ramrod wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
Jerry "The King" Lawler (SB's British gimmick)
Actually, Lawler never had a Brittish gimmick. He always claimed to be from Memphis. It's probably more of a William Regal Reference, if you ask me.

Dooglas wrote:
Ric Flair (Homestar's "Hoo Yeah!" is a reference to Ric's "Whoo!")
Actually, I saw this as more of a Macho Man reference, as he always said "Ohh, yeah!"

Yeah you're probably right about William regal. I forgot about him.

The way H*R was using Hoo Yeah!, it was more like Ric Flair. Macho Man usually ends on the Ohh, Yeah! He hardly ever used it more than once in an interview. It was usually "Blah blah blah... Ohhh, yeah! Dig it!" Ric Flair was Whoo-ing after almost everything like Homestar was doing.

I guess H*R's litle rash deal could be a reference to how some wrestler's shaved their chest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:38 pm 

Shwoo wrote:
Where My Hat Is At wasn't really a toon. It wasn't animated or anything, although you're right that it was the first Homestar Runner thing on the internet. According to the commentry is was on "Mike's old Free Country, USA site".

If you want to get technical, the first Homestar Runner toon ever was the Super NES version of the theme song video.
ok ok ok if where my hat is at not a toon then super nes was the first toon.....come to think of it i just rememebr that THAT was the first toon before m.l.s although it was made in 1996 when homestar came out on y2k exactly so does it still count as a toon? if it came before the site came? (ponders)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:11 pm 

Location: They're eating her! And then they're going to eat me! OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!
Difn't mind it, better then bottom 10.
Aww, when he said misfires i expected a marshmallow's last stand revisit...
TWO'D!...PLUS ONE FOR HOMESTAR IN PANTS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:24 pm 

Unimpressive. :hr: was cute, but otherwise blah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:25 pm 

Eh... the only thing that made me chuckle was Strong Bad hitting Homestar with the folding chair. everything else was pretty meh. From what it sounds like, this is one of those "either you get it or you don't" emails, much like web comics and isp. 2/5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:38 am 

Homestar's outfit really disturbed me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:17 am 

Location: United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands!
The more I watch this one, the more it grows on me. It's gone from OK to REALLY GOOD in my mind.

Post subject: The new Tape-Leg?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:25 am 

I didn't watch this yet because my sound is screwed up.
Does anyone else have the feeling that this could become the new Tape-Leg? Lots of people hate it, some people like it and has much controversy over its quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:44 am 

Whoah, the only ones that like this one are the ones who like wrestling and actually get the jokes.

Hmmm....maybe they didn't watch the email and just said "ONG DIS SUX" just because of the word wrestling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:21 am 

Uninspired. They tried to cover up the lack of jokes with manic character movements. =[

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:29 am 

I thought it was ok. Not a favorite but it definitely wasn't "ZOMG they jumped the shaaaaark!!!111!!"

And no, there will never...ever...be an email that will replace the infamous tapeleg we all love so much. :cheatgrin:

I give this a 3/5. Not wonderful but not terrible.

Post subject: Re: The "Meh's"
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:52 am 

You people are insane. Seriously. And jaded. And just plain, ungrateful people not pleased with anything. That may be harsh but seriously. It's truthful, at least. Now, not all of you.

No, a few people I'm seeing here DID give this one a fair chance and had something useful to say. But let's be honest. The majority of the "meh" givers did not.

Personally, this was seriously the best sbmail i've seen in the last several months. The entire thing was comic gold, and one of the cleverest emails of the year.

I think the problem with the "meh's" here are with jaded, selfish people that like to dismiss anything that is instantly identifiable with something that someone doesn't care for or is ignorant of.

Case in point, how this sbmail is centered around a particular interest. I.E Wrestling.

Most of what I see here are unnecessarily jaded and over-expectant whiny people that are dumping on this email simply because it dares to address a particular thing that you may or may not know of or care for. Regardless of the "quailty" of it. Of which I was in stitches.

Why? The great usages and almost dead-on impressions of wrestling personalities? The classic H*R quotable lines? The inspired ideas that come forth from the concept? And better yet.. the timing.

Let's be honest. This is somewhat of a nostalgia email. But it's commenting on the interest it's based on in a very funny and very clever way. But no. A lot of you people seem to not care for it because it's based on something.

Anything that ever caters to a specific audience seems to get met from resistance by people that are totally unable to sit back and enjoy.. anything. That's true here.

Whether or not it was even funny (Which I found this one of, if not THE best sbmails of the year) if it has something to do with a particular interest that someone doesn't know much of and care for, they instantly dismiss it with selfish, jaded, and overly critical harsh replies without accurately stating a reason. And hardly any of the responses here actually state "why" they thought it was "lame" and "meh".

Simply because they didn't "get it" and didn't "try".

If it doesn't seem to jump out of the screen and cater to your specific interest and likes, you'll dismiss it. Likewise, if it reaches it's target audience it's magically "great"

Maybe if you people widened your horizon's and opened your mind up to whether or not something was actually good or not instead of whether or not you feel it was "about you" or "speaks to you" then you'd realize how good it is.

One doesn't have to be a fan of wrestling to get this one or laugh. But even so, it was probably one of the most creative, honestly funny, and incredibly clever sbmails in quite a while. They've all been "good" but it needed one to take it over the top and be "great" I felt it was this sbmail.

I actually stopped coming to these forums a long time ago, because the selfish, jaded and obnoxious reactions from very jaded people was very annoying.

I only came here for the first time in a long time since my last visit to express how funny and clever this email was out of the bunch for this year. But now i'm annoyed by all of the jaded people with nothing worthwhile to add, all over again.

I come back to add my thoughts on what I would say was one of the best sbmails of the year, to find it hated upon by many selfish people who didn't "get it" and didn't try to "get it" with smug, self-centered jaded, bored conditioned responses that more-often-than-not didn't provide very descriptive reasons for why they didn't like it.

On the other hand, I actually appreciate something clever, and funny, and have watched this particular sbmail several times, because I found it funny and clever enough to be watchable several times over.

As I said, one does not even have to be a "wrestling fan" to laugh at the very clever (and strikingly both hilarious and semi-accurate) potryal of a specific reference to an era from the 80's.

But the problem is that if this sbmail isn't "for you" then you feel the need to selfishly and rather annoyingly stomp all over it. You people need to open your eyes, stop being so jaded, so selfish and give something genuinely funny and clever a chance.

If you didn't "get it" and didn't care for the subject matter, than why not just be honest with yourselvles and everyone else in this thread and just say "I don't really have anything useful to say because I didn't get it." or better yet.. just leave the comments to the people that do have a constructive or worthwhile opinion to give.

One that actually has some semblance of a good reason to give for or against it either way, instead of being jaded, harsh and disregarding it with a few, smug, self-centered sentences.

Or.. you guys can keep doing that, and i'll go back to watching a quality Strong Bad Email.

Seriously. If you're going to dump all over something, make sure that you have something worthwhile to say, a worthwhile reason to say it, or an opinion that doesn't just sound like someone TRYING to be obnoxiously jaded and bitter over... something.

I've seen hardly anyone in this thread besides maybe slightly one or two people give this sbmail a bad review that actually had anything constructive or worthwhile to add to a discussion regarding it. That's something to think about.

Last edited by TheNewX on Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:58 am 

You know, it's strange, but if you look at the poll, most people liked it. The poll doesn't really seem to reflect the thread very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:04 am 

I know, exactly. And it's kind of weird.

I was mostly addressing the "comments" and the "meh givers" that left comments.

And yeah, you're 100% right. It has not escaped me that the people commenting the most seem to be those without anything constructive to say about it. Also, kind of drives home my point, in a way.

It's people that didn't want to get the subject matter or just acted blithe BECAUSE of the subject matter. Most likely why a lot of them didn't leave anything but negative reactions without actually stating for a good reason why.

Using one or two jaded and bored adjectives like "Uninspired" or "lame" without going into any detail why is NOT a good reason, no matter what one may think.

It's the kind of thing that's a step and a half away from mindless bashing and trolling, to be honest. People that say stuff like that are selfish, childish, and just so bitter and jaded that they become so smug and self-centered that they think their one or two words amounts to a decent point, when it dosn't.

One of the things that irritates me the most about jaded people on the internet that think they're "cool". So smug and smarmy, so that people will think they are internet-savvy and ineffectual "internet vets" by using one or two negative words or a smarmy non-constructive sentence to be "cool" and negative.

I've been online for close to 11 years now. Funny how I never had to resort to being a snotty person giving one or two words or an arrogant half-sentence to get my point across. I give thoughtful replies that people equally and obnoxiously dismiss as saying "I'm not reading all of what you said"

What actually happened to actual conversation and constructive criticism instead of snotty half sentences and jaded one word replies? Not on the internet. And yet people still seem to think they have a good right to leave dumb comments like those. I say meh to that.

But yeah, I'm mostly talking about the in-forum comments, not the poll rating. Although I find the actual poll to be closer to the truth, anyway.

Those that had something to say, actually had nothing at all worthwhile to say. Most of those that just declined to leave a comment and just voted for it seemed more appreciative of the effort put forth for this one.

I don't even watch wrestling very much. Maybe it's because though, that I AM old enough to get the jokes, and the comedy that I did get it.

But at least I admit the jokes, creativity, cleverness and the hilarity was there, and I was able to sit back and enjoy a great sbmail. Unlike people that seem really quite ungrateful for no matter WHAT the Chaps turn out.

But it's the commenters... that get especially whiny when the Chaps dare to make something that's actually to be based on something. Which, last time I checked is what Strong Bad comments on. People bringing up specific topics BASED on things. Huh. Go figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:46 am 

I have to agree with you, TheNewX. This is the exact reason I have so few posts.

It's like people expect TBC to make cartoons just for them. The logic seems to be "If it doesn't speak directly to me I cannot be bothered with it."

I won't get into a rant about it but I think this is my last post on these forums. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:32 am 

I also have to agree with TheNewX, it's like these kids don't care about anything that doesn't reference modern pop-culture. The Chaps make a reference to animé or webcomics or some other pop-culture nonsense that kids today absolutely adore, and the e-mail is comedy gold. What happens if they make a reference to something that was popular in the '80's, but might be considered "lame" today by their standards? It sucks, because it just doesn't happen to fit into their narrowminded view of what is hip and cool and what is not.

I, for one, thought the e-mail was great, and I'm absolutely glad the Chapman Bros. won't fall into the mainstream by catering to the younger generations with an overflow of modern pop-culture nonsense.

I swear, ever since "Dragon" came along and caused the site to become so popular, the quality of the fanbase has gone down by miles. I don't mean to be placing the blame on people who happen to be young, but the majority just naturally happen to be the ones who like to complain about things like this in a flash cartoon that has, at its roots, always been there for those of us who grew up during the 80's and can catch the references that go straight over the heads of the kids.

I honestly hope the site never begins to cater to the mainstream, because it will cause a serious decline in quality, just as with everything else. I'm fine with the occasional reference to keep the younger fanbase active, but honestly, the current fanbase is horrible. :S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:57 am 

Strong Bad IS after all a wrestleman. Just look at his cocky, self-centered, and often delusional attitude about is athletic abilities and sex appeal (not to mention his outfit). This email actually gives us a chance to see SB in his natural habitat: the Square Circle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:32 pm 

A resounding meh.

EDIT: And here's why - I felt that the timing was off, and there just wasn't enough to be all that funny.

I grew up in the 80's as well, and I get the references. I understand what they were going for, but it just didn't come across to me as funny. It also felt like they were lazily throwing the same joke at us over and over. Here's Strong Bad in a silly costume! Ok, here's Strong Bad in another silly costume! Now here's H*R in a silly costume! And SB and SM in three silly costumes in a row! We get all that from the Hallowe'en toons, but those have much more comedic substance.

And spending the entire email on the silly costumes (and, granted, the style of 80s wrestling interview smacktalk) neglects to mention a lot of the other parts of wrestling. It's like they found this mine of untapped comedic potential, but only went about two steps into it.

You're right - it's not enough to simply put a small sentence saying "meh" - and I'm sorry, because I nearly did exactly that. However, I hope you agree that it is perfectly alright to dislike one of the Bros. Chaps toons - otherwise, why have a forum at all?

Last edited by kidspeedy on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:34 pm 

Wow, I'm surprised that old peoples watch Strong Bad. B-) (That's supposed to be a compliment, not a downgrading).

I do agree with ya'll though; a lot of people don't see the effort put into this and don't thank TBC for putting that effort into it (even though they're getting money out of it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:32 pm 

The New X, you need to get off your high horse. Just because many people felt that this particular toon was lacking compaired to past ones doesnt mean we don't appreciate TBC's work. I'm sure the brothers themselves would agree that this email was not one of their best. As far as being constructive, many of us DID say why this email disapointed us. Personally, I think it's more obnoxious to praise and rejoice every single animation that they give us. We're not disrespecting TBC's body of work. Calling us "ungrateful people not pleased with anything" is biased and completely idiotic. You have NOTHING to back this up.

Kidspeedy, I agree with your comments. Your post was a great example of explaining why the email didnt work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:48 pm 

Strongstar Runbad’s Rate-It-Don’t-Hate-It-O-Tron™ 3000: Image

Solid email that dragged on too long.

Post subject: Wow, a little too much controversy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:55 pm 

I totally understand why some people don't like this one, heck, there are some people who think Crack Stuntman's rap is awesome and I thought it was mostly stupid. You can't please everyone.

On the otherhand, I think this one is just like movies, where the jokes are based on a single topic and feel almost TOO accurate if you agree with the premise. Of course, the 80s wrestling scene is forgotten for a lot of people.

To the "they just put Strong Bad in different costumes" crowd, I want to inform you THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THEY DID WITH WRESTLERS. The reason Rick Flair and Hulk Hogan are legends is because they pretty much always played the same character. Otherwise, I remember guys like HHH who started out as English gentleman, then played a wild rebel, then a corporate toady, and so on. It's hilarious. The changes are what they did. And yes, the Snobby Brit actually was a premium gig.

I thought it was all too great. I loved Strong Bad throwing the maps (million dollar man) the Jack Em Up Kid (Hulk and Flair had a son ...) "Gary the Legend" (Larry Zbiscko), Rax and Arby (Road Warriors, restaurnts), Foreign Object Bros. (ECW), Sir Bolliver Turnbuckle (Lord Regal), Il Cartographer (Iron shiek, any hated foreigner), Cheatayama (Mr. Fuji, Sonny Ono), "Lame masked wrestlers" (Loved that, he would disdain someone who wore a mask), Gardenboy (no reference other than e-mail name, but still awesome funny, H-bring it tawn!). 5/5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:00 pm 

I'm not a big wrestling fan, but I know enough about it to understand this sbemail's jokes. It was such a great parody of pros.

Best Parts

Gary the Legend-though I wonder what happened to Pom-Pom

Homestar snapping the spandex over his head

fire spewing watering can

Say what you will, but I enjoyed it.

By the way, do you guys think Homestar's cap lacked a propeller because TBC wanted to make him look like he did in the old days?

"The next worst word you can couple with the word fan is, you guessed it, the word FICTION."-Strong Bad, "fan club"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:24 pm 

Setsumi-san wrote:
By the way, do you guys think Homestar's cap lacked a propeller because TBC wanted to make him look like he did in the old days?

I think it was maybe to further punctuate the fact that he was a parody of Hulk Hogan, who was also bald.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:41 am 

Hey, kids! Let's play "Find the Sentence In TheNewX's Post That Doesn't Have the Word 'Jaded' In It"! Ready...go!

Everyone likes different things, and if we didn't, the world would be a very boring place. It just so happens that a lot of the people who visit these forums (and post regularly) just don't like this email very much.

I came up with 7 specific reasons why I dislike this email, but I didn't post them here, because I know nobody would read them.

I will say, however, that even though I also grew up in the 80's, and understood what they were trying to do here, I am just a bigger fan of their usual "original humor" than this "string of references that are only funny if you remember or know about what they are parodying".

Anyway, forums aren't a place to say "My opinion is best! You're all wrong!"...Forums are for sharing your opinions, and listening to the opinions of others.

Please be nice!

(The post you have just read is in no way an attempt on the part of Awkward Social Sun to act like a mod)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:46 am 

While I agree that we should respect each others' opinions, it can be upsetting to look at the thread for a toon you really liked only to find 2384 posts about how horrible it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:15 am 

I think it's more or less the way in which people gave their opinions. There were people that made this particular e-mail out to be completely appalling, as if it was purposely made to be entirely dry of any humor, or if it parodied something particularly offensive.

It definitely seems as though the people who said such things didn't even bother giving it a chance because it didn't happen to appeal to their own personal interests. I think it just strikes a personal chord for some of the older crowd, that younger people are so willing to dismiss something as horrible because the topic at hand was something that's way out of their personal view on what's "cool".

Looking back, this e-mail was made in almost the exact same structure that was used to make "webcomics" and "japanese cartoon", and from what I understand, those were e-mails that went over very well with the people on these forums. There weren't nearly as many "meh's" and "horrible's" when those e-mails came around.

I personally don't think it's coincidental that both of those example sbemails have topics that are something that would appeal to today's mainstream younger crowd. All three sbemails, "Webcomics", "Japanese Cartoon", and "Yes, Wrestling" had the same general structure (in addition to the usual sbemail structure that Strong Bad talks about in "The Process"), in which Strong bad placed himself in the shoes of somebody or something that is part of the topic at hand.

Whether it's wrestling, anime, or making a webcomic, he played off of that to create short segments illustrating and at the same time parodying major aspects of each topic. Most, or all of the jokes stem entirely off of each aspect of the thing he is currently parodying, so can it honestly be said that the jokes were viewed as poor by certain people for any other reason besides the topic not hitting home with that particular person, or people? Saying a particular joke is "drawn-out" just doesn't cut it as an excuse in this particular instance.

I'm sure a lot of the nay-sayers would argue the same thing that I am if somebody who wasn't into the thing Strong Bad was parodying at the time called an e-mail terrible because it doesn't connect with them at a personal level. And example of this would be me talking negatively about "Japanese Cartoons". Shwoo's last post definitely comes to mind in this example.

As I've said before, it's not that people didn't something that I happened to enjoy, it's the underlying reasons why most people didn't like it, whether they choose to admit it or not. I can't stand animé, but I enjoyed the e-mail "Japanese Cartoons", because I could appreciate and understand that Strong Bad was parodying the subject in a way that only Strong Bad can. Why is that any different for "Yes, Wrestling"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:41 am 

Dooglas wrote:
I have to agree with you, TheNewX. This is the exact reason I have so few posts.

It's like people expect TBC to make cartoons just for them. The logic seems to be "If it doesn't speak directly to me I cannot be bothered with it."

I won't get into a rant about it but I think this is my last post on these forums. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Explain to me why we're supposed to think it's funny if we don't get the references I'm not going to think it's funny solely because it's funny to someone else because they get it. I don't watch wrestling, I certainly didn't watch it in the 80s, and because of that nothing was funny to me. What's not to understand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:20 am 

I loved it ... but I'm an avid watcher of both WWE and TNA, so I'm also one of them unwashed wrestling fans. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:25 pm 

Classic TBC Randomness. 4/5.

And major props for the Halloween-ish Easter Egg.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next