Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Place ya votes!
5/5 – Congratulations, Strong Bad, on your 100th 200th email! 71%  71%  [ 100 ]
4/5 – We think you are sooooooo very cool. 19%  19%  [ 26 ]
3/5 – A protected landmark with surprisingly clean restrooms! 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
2/5 – I'm almost not totally disgusted! 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
1/5 – Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak! 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 140
 Post subject: Re: Strong Bad Email #200: email thunder!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:38 am 

I honestly feel like the Lappy needs to go away soon. FOUR years? I know it adds nothing to anything, but I'm just tired of the lappy. the other two computers weren't even around for 3 years.

I was kind of hoping he'd kill it off by now. I'd rather the old paper came back and Lappy was replaced with... who knows what.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:49 am 

Power Crunch wrote:
I honestly feel like the Lappy needs to go away soon. FOUR years? I know it adds nothing to anything, but I'm just tired of the lappy. the other two computers weren't even around for 3 years.

I was kind of hoping he'd kill it off by now. I'd rather the old paper came back and Lappy was replaced with... who knows what.

The reason they haven't killed off the lappy is that its kinda got to appear in the 5 Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People games.
I'm pretty sure it'll be killed off soon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:52 am 

HomestarWinner wrote:
The Paper will come back and have a fight to the death with the New Paper!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:38 pm 

Wow. Except the fight wasn't really to the death. The Paper dying was unrelated to the fight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:30 pm 

I think the main reason why Sbemail 200 didn't become as good as everyone expected is that they all expect something that would top off sbemail 150. That, and it's more of a short toon than a sbemail. And the whole hremail thing is just probably a one-time joke, I mean come ON people. Personally I think the site didn't, hasn't, and, hopefully, won't jump the metaphorical shark at all. It wasn't the best sbemail, but it wasn't that bad.

Also, John Linnel singing as Poopsmith just made my day.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:30 pm 

HomestarWinner wrote:

And it has! I doubt if it was to the death, though, considering what happened in THE PAPER.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:10 pm 

There have been times the paper did not appear before...

Indeed, by such logic, there have been no emails since any time that happened. But there have, so move on.

Will there be more emails? I think so. I think they will continue business as normal, as if nothing ever happened, perhaps with a slight nod to the many people being like "Oh NO! It's OVER!", like they did in 51. And if they don't? Be confident in the fact that there are many unfinished things on the site (Last level of Stinkoman, for one), and there will still be updates. Hopefully.
Also, keep in mind that if they do stop... TBC have been doing this for, like, ever! I love it, you love it, we all love the intense humor, and great funny stuff... but they might want to get a normal life, be more inclined for family togetherness (if you read this, TBC, keep in mind I have no clue how together your family is, and it may be a great together family, dispite all you do for the site, and I might be wrong). So just deal, and wait.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:45 pm 

Umm, yeah. That wasn't exactly what I expected. I mean, it had a weird feel in it. Didn't feel like a typical "Strong Bad reads an email and makes fun of it"-sbemail (yes, I know, it wasn't one and that's why it didn't feel like it, shuddup), but that's propably a good thing. And I think they meant it that way. At first I didn't like it that much, I felt a bit disappointed (although I was really surprised to see The Paper's comeback, which was pretty much the coolest thing ever), but when I found out about the hremails 49 and 24 and other cool stuffz and I watched it again a few times, I started to like it more and more. This email's clearly made for the long-time fans, with more inside jokes and easter eggs than usual. So four outta five, simply because it's just so self-conscious and over-the-top epic. I get goosebumps every time I hear The Poopsmith's song (and that voice is a spot-on, although hopefully we'll never him speak again, until maybe sbemail 400), man. And Review Revue! I thought it was a great joke, and it's back! So, will we have hremails from now on instead? No. No, no, no. TBC aren't that stupid. We'll get one, tops. No more. Will we get more sbemails? Yes. Yes, yes, yes. Tons of 'em. Has Homestar Runner jumped the shark? No. There's more in the Homestar universe than just sbemails, and people seem to forget that. The toons and shorts and other non-sbemails are still funny, and SBCG4AP's great. I know that the last ten or so emails haven't been so great, but they're propably workin' on the game or something. I believe this is just a temporal time of not-as-funny-as-usualliness.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:17 pm 

The end of sb_emails??? I hope not! But even if it was, it went out with a BANG!

I worry that it might be the last because of the graduation-style opener and it ended with a list of all the sb_emails ever. A bit frightening in spite of how awesome it was. Aside from that I loved the mountain dew and the return of the old paper (too bad :sb: screwed that one up, lol). I also loved the pop-ups at the end when you moved over certain sb_email titles, as well as the homage to sb_email 100. My only disappointment was that the email wasn't for :sb: !!

Viva sb_mail forever!!

:sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: / :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:47 pm 

Thatched-Roof Cottage wrote:
Also, keep in mind that if they do stop... TBC have been doing this for, like, ever! I love it, you love it, we all love the intense humor, and great funny stuff... but they might want to get a normal life, be more inclined for family togetherness (if you read this, TBC, keep in mind I have no clue how together your family is, and it may be a great together family, dispite all you do for the site, and I might be wrong). So just deal, and wait.

Well, in fairness, they have stopped numerous times before, usually for family-type deals, so they do try and save time for family togetherness once in a while, like when they were having a baby among them or when their father passed away (which incidentally happened just after email 150). And even when they do stop focusing on the website for a time, they usually let the viewers know in advance, so they (should) know not to get up in arms over the lack of an update.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:50 pm 

:hr: :hr: :hr: :hr:
Funny and a little too self-referential, but I'm trying not to give it a 5/5 just because it's sbemail200.
Best quote was probably:
:sb: "How does that old adage go? Ah, yes. "Apply libewally!" Hooyah!"
What's with all the hooyah/whooyah? Did SB just get a new catch phrase to replace (the quite dead) Holy Crap?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:05 pm 

I like the idea of a Homestar Runner e-mail. Probably a joke but it's a good idea in my book.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:13 pm 

One word: epic.

I'd say more, but just about all I would have said has already been said. A historic occasion.... with surprisingly clean restrooms.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:44 pm 

CaptainPastHisPrime wrote:
Well, in fairness, they have stopped numerous times before, usually for family-type deals, so they do try and save time for family togetherness once in a while, like when they were having a baby among them or when their father passed away (which incidentally happened just after email 150). And even when they do stop focusing on the website for a time, they usually let the viewers know in advance, so they (should) know not to get up in arms over the lack of an update.

Exactly my point. However, a brief hiatus (I probably spelled that wrong) is, of course, different then saying their farewells to the site. I assume they will continue, but who really knows, other then TBC, and they won't speak until they deem it time to speak (usually Monday), so one really can't uproar until the time is right.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:34 pm 

So... what to say about SBEmail #200?

First off: The Poopsmith Speaketh! ...er, Singeth... and with the voice of TBC's own John Linnel even!

Second: Homestar Runner E-mails? I know there were stuff like that made by fans, but the fact that The Brothers Chaps mentioned it was a suprise, not to mention how Homestar's e-mails mixed in with Strong Bad's...

Third: Return of the Paper- that sure suprised me, though not as much as how Strong Bad accidently incinerated it/him? (How does that work?)

All that's left is to wait and see if there will be another e-mail or not. I sure hope it's not over. I mean, sure, it's been going on for a while now, but I don't think I'm ready for it to end...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:52 pm 

Have anybody noticed that two of the predictions in Place Your Bets have (partially) come true?
Bet #1 - Lappy won't make it out alive. What happened: Homestar's computer didn't make it out alive.
Bet #3 - Strong Bad won't make it out alive. What happened: Homestar didn't kill Strong Bad, but he sure ruined his 200th Sbemail.

With all the names that were signed on the e-mail to Homestar, I'm surprised Bet #2 didn't come true in some way. Although if we really wanted to push it, we did wind up getting one name repeated. (Abdi)

And so I wonder what's going to happen for the next Sbemail. The New Paper turned traitor and got the crap beat out of it by The Paper. And then The Paper got burnt again. Which paper will appear in Sbemail 201, I wonder.

Quote:
Have TBC jumped the shark?

Only if we hear Poopsmith talk again. The imagined speak in Different Town, the quesitonable broken vow in Senior Prom and the for-real one in this Sbemail are enough. Incidentally, I thought they would show a tape player on the side after the Poopsmith finished. Didn't actually think the vow would actually be broken. Actually, the Poopsmith easter egg pretty much confirms that the Poopsmith didn't speak in Senior Prom. Unless that Sbemail was coincidentally the 200th e-mail, counting when Strong Bad answered more than one e-mail in a Sbemail.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:30 pm 

The poopsmith talking is not jumping the shark. Geez. And obviously they won't be having TMBG voicing him all the time. In fact, all this talk of jumping the shark just needs to stop.

Why?

Because you're going to wind up just looking for something and saying that's jumping the shark. Jumping the shark is based on that Happy Days show where there best idea was to have Fonzie water ski jump over some sharks. That was stupid.

But how could that kind of thing apply to a world as absurd as H*R. Look, if H*R and Marzipan get married and have babies then you can say it.

And I think you guys are being a little too hard on them. They're not professional cartoonists or writers. They're two guys who make flash cartoons that happen to have become quite popular on the net. They've made 200 of this toons and many others on the site. What did you expect them to do that was so special for #200?

What do you think they could do for 250, 300, etc.

... If the humor suffers, that's a problem. But I wouldn't be looking for them jumping the shark. I read WAAAAAY too much about how they're about to or may already have "jumped the shark."

Ridiculous. Get that out of your heads guys.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:41 pm 

AWESOME EMAIL!!! After I saw The Poopsmith singing, my brain would just not believe it, until SB actually called attention to it. I loved the "hwemails" part, and I actually sincerely hope that sbemails sort of die out in favor of hremails. If there was any email that TBC could stop the sbemails on, this was it. Even if sbemails keep going, which I expect they will, I would LOVE a hremail every now and again.

HomestarGunner wrote:
Am I the only one who actually prefers Homestar to Strong Bad? I know that SB became the star of H*R a long time ago, but I was never really okay with that. I always looked forward to Homestar appearances, and so if TBC actually carried on with hremails or had some other sort of Homestar weekly feature, I'd be very, very pleased.

Right with you on that one. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's fav character is da Homedoge.

Also, for all you people who think Homestarrunner.com has jumped the shark, this shouldn't come as a surprise to you. If ANY toon in the history of toons would be good at jumping the shark, homestarrunner.com would be the absolute best at it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:43 pm 

Quote:
Look, if H*R and Marzipan get married and have babies then you can say it.

Clearly, you've forgotten Homestar Jr. :P

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:47 pm 

CaptainPastHisPrime wrote:
HomestarWinner wrote:

And it has! I doubt if it was to the death, though, considering what happened in THE PAPER.

Do you think this was a coincidence? Or do you thing TBC got some ideas for their sbemail from this forum thread. Several people have said that they wanted to hear the Poopsmith speak.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:02 pm 

There was nothing awesome about this but the song, which I thought wasn't really needed to make this feel special. The actual email has to be great and special. 50 having Strong Bad supposedly answer 50 emails, 100 telling about how Strong Bad met Homestar, 150 showing Strong Bad meeting all his alternates, but 200 having Strong Bad find out that Homestar has his own email show? Sounds neat, but not special neat. I think if they weren't working on the game, TBC could've made this 200 times better. No pun intended.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:42 pm 

And coming up on your left, you'll see the sbemail with the most inside references ever, email thunder
thelongestpants wrote:
I loved the "hwemails" part, and I actually sincerely hope that sbemails sort of die out in favor of hremails. If there was any email that TBC could stop the sbemails on, this was it. Even if sbemails keep going, which I expect they will, I would LOVE a hremail every now and again.

...you didn't really want to live to see sbemail 250, now, did you? You wouldn't have said that otherwise. The Cheat, why don't you treat this gentleman to a game of golf. *WACK WACK THWACK*

"Wait a second... This isn't Heaven!!! AUUUUGGGGGGGGGHH!!!"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:03 pm 

Woah. That... was... odd...

TBC really broke out of their form... I mean, with the other milestones (50, 100, 150), they celebrated the milestone with a very big sbemail that actually had other (usually quite funny) stuff happen in it. In 200, they just hit you over the head with a sledgehammer that it was #200, then went and broke the :poop:'s vow of silence (WTF?), and then delivered some strange hremail skit. I'm not sure whether to call this a moment of TBC insanity, them trying WAY TOO HARD, or, I hate to even think this, jumping the shark. Once (or if) 201 comes out, will we really know for sure. If they return to the normal routine, we're fine. If they continue with absolutely strange crap like this, we may have a shark jump. If they run hremails tandem with sbemails, WTF. (and we definitely sailed straight over that shark.) And if they completely abandon the sb sort for this hr flavor, WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:21 pm 

jedibob5 wrote:
If they continue with absolutely strange crap like this, we may have a shark jump. If they run hremails tandem with sbemails, WTF. (and we definitely sailed straight over that shark.) And if they completely abandon the sb sort for this hr flavor, WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!

I take offense to H*R ever jumping the shark. Maybe it's time that they gave SB a break and give Homestar his website back (with SB always trying to thwart him, of course). Maybe they could go in different directions here.

One of the only things that really disappointed me with this was the lack of an appearance by Old-Timey Strong Bad, who has appeared in the other milestone emails (even if only in an Easter egg).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:27 pm 

HomestarGunner wrote:
Am I the only one who actually prefers Homestar to Strong Bad? I know that SB became the star of H*R a long time ago, but I was never really okay with that. I always looked forward to Homestar appearances, and so if TBC actually carried on with hremails or had some other sort of Homestar weekly feature, I'd be very, very pleased.

On a slightly-opposing note, I quite enjoyed the 200th sbemail. Partially, of course, because of the hope of maybe seeing some more Homestar from this point on. But still, a good one.

I agree 100%. Homestar is king.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:39 pm 

ThatGameDude386 wrote:
thelongestpants wrote:
I loved the "hwemails" part, and I actually sincerely hope that sbemails sort of die out in favor of hremails. If there was any email that TBC could stop the sbemails on, this was it. Even if sbemails keep going, which I expect they will, I would LOVE a hremail every now and again.

...you didn't really want to live to see sbemail 250, now, did you? You wouldn't have said that otherwise. The Cheat, why don't you treat this gentleman to a game of golf. *WACK WACK THWACK*

Oh...my...pfargtl..... I laughed so hard at that! Thanks, I needed that. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:55 pm 

TheMac04 wrote:
HomestarGunner wrote:

On a slightly-opposing note, I quite enjoyed the 200th sbemail. Partially, of course, because of the hope of maybe seeing some more Homestar from this point on. But still, a good one.

I agree 100%. Homestar is king.
I agree. Strong Bad is a great character, but they're starting to run him thin. They need to give Homestar more prominence on the site that's named after him in the first place. I think replacing Sbemails would be stupid, but an occasional Hremail would be fun (in a similar vain to how TGS used to be, as opposed to how it is now: it happens more than once, but it's still rare enough that it's a surprise. "Hey, they did another one!" instead of "OK, let's see what they have this month.")

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:00 am 

I just saw the whole thing; I loved it. It's weird, though, how Strong Bad's computers can survive Mountain Dew and Homestar's can't.

Also, I AM worried about whether or not this may be the last sbemail...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:08 am 

This was great, but you people are taking this email to sewiously.
I bet 1/2 a G that Emails continue onward as normal and hremails get only a passing reference.
I would like to see HR around the site, and HREmails would be cool, but the reality is that they continue with the status quoe, and all of your speculating is exactly what this email is making fun of. I LOVE IT.
:hr:> :sb:
Strong Bad has become overused and is starting to lose his charm, so give Homestar his site back!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:11 am 

SnakeBoxer202 wrote:
I just saw the whole thing; I loved it. It's weird, though, how Strong Bad's computers can survive Mountain Dew and Homestar's can't.

Well, Homestar only poured Mountain Dew on the Compy's keyboard, not the actual computer itself. Strong Bad poured Mountain Dew on the Happy's keyboard, which has the actual computer underneath.

SnakeBoxer202 wrote:
Also, I AM worried about whether or not this may be the last sbemail...

Don't be worried. I highly doubt that sbemails are going to die.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next