Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Great idea?
5 - I can't wait to stop working, and start working, on them! 59%  59%  [ 72 ]
4 - Yeah yeah! No, yeah! 27%  27%  [ 33 ]
3 - Taft is white. 5%  5%  [ 6 ]
2 - More like drivel-thru if you ask me. 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
1 - THIS IS THE WORST IDEA YOU EVER 8%  8%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 123
 Post subject: Re: Sbemailerized Entertainment!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:24 pm 

I feel like I should be standing up and applauding.
This was excellent. Well done, TBC.
5/5.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:33 pm 

A whole lot of "what the crap". As soon as I got tired of the 4th-wall breaks, he actually mentions them! 5/5 stars!

That, and it saved Strong Bad from mediocrity. He was getting lame lately. TBC cameo was unexpected (like everything else).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:41 pm 

I wouldn't mind if sbemails returned. One day. But not today. That was hilarious.

Personally I think it's boring and uncreative if they have to rely on sbemails too much anyway. It's more fun to stretch their legs a bit and do other things on the site I think. *shrug*

Anyway. I don't think this toon really says sbemails are over forever. It just says they are on indefinite hiatus. haha.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:12 pm 

Mind = blown
An excellent toon. 5/5. Even funnier is that this cartoon isn't Breaking the Fourth Wall... IT'S A NO FOURTH WALL TOON! Of course, sbemails (or at least the parts where Strong Bad is typing) were already No Fourth Wall (or maybe it's a Fourth Wall Mailslot Email Link...), so this may have just been a continuation of the Not Quite Strong Bad Email theme... Bonus points for TBC having themselves in the toon. (I usually read the wiki page before viewing a toon; I dunno why, I just do; and when I saw that they were in the toon, I thought it was gonna be like a H*R-ized version of them. Didn't expect it to be a live-action thing.)

Does this foreshadow the return of sbemails and/or the downfall or hremails? Or is it just prompting an Internet Backdraft between sbemail fans and those who like Not Sbemails better? And would our opinions really decide the end fate of sbemails? (Personally, I'm kinda on the fence. Leaning toward sbemails (since I found H*R way after email thunder), but at the same time I like the Not Sbemail toons as well. So I guess I'm unicycling across the fence. Or maybe it's an Overbike, since I'm a big fan of Code Lyoko...)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:21 pm 

Bahahaha!! I LOVED this! TBC are TOTALLY messing with our heads on purpose. I don't find it aggravating at all. I think it's awesome. Ohh and seeing Mike and Matt in a toon was pretty much the coolest thing ever. XD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:26 pm 

It was pretty funny. 4/5

They are right about how the sbemails pretty much follow the same format. They're not as different as regular toons. See the chart?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:41 pm 

Loved it! Especially the part with Main Page 1, and when all that happened was the toons button being rolled over. 5/5!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:56 pm 

I have no clue what to think. Mind blow is right. I can't rate this, because I have no opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:22 pm 

I LOVED this toon! The Brothers Chaps are listening to us!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:42 pm 

flicky1991 wrote:
Homsar's Dad wrote:
Where did you read/see/hear/receive telepathic broadcasts which say that? :eek:

Um... she just typed it. Like, on a keyboard. Of her own free will. It's called an opinion.

I like italics.

It was not presented as opinion, but as assumed fact. "I knew" is not the same as "I think". :trogdor:

Post subject: Re: Sbemailiarized!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:52 pm 

This Wednesday: all toons are Sbemailiarized. They might come up with a generic few sbemails so they don't have to make one for every toon on the site.
Homsar's Dad wrote:
Not a chance. Sbemails are their bread and butter. It drives everything else. Think about how much has come from sbemails, like Trogdor, 20X6, Old Timey, Sweet Cuppin' Cakes, Limozeen, etc.
They seem to have been doing fine, despite no Sbemails since email thunder. They're not the bread and butter of the site, they just happened to become the most popular. Keep in mind which character the site is named after. As for all the things that have come from Sbemails, about every other toon on the site is a Sbemail. If they didn't have Sbemails, those kinds of things could have been introduced by other toons. Keep in mind what this toon says: Sbemails have basically become toons bookended by Strong Bad's sarcastic remarks. Whether or not the originals were very good, they show that the current format is not what TBC had in mind when they started Sbemails. They need to be able to make toons without needing to confine them into Sbemail format every week or two.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:04 am 

Haha, this is great. I love it!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:23 am 

It was.... decent.

I think they were spoofing off the 'There never were any SBEmails, every toon on the website is a HREmail.' theory on TV Tropes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:27 am 

Location: In the bountiful Blue Laser Thanksgiving action playset
Three words: What The Pfargl?! My mind has officially been blown. On the bright side, I finally saw the Brothers Chaps in person for free!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:38 am 

Homsar's Dad wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:
Homsar's Dad wrote:
Where did you read/see/hear/receive telepathic broadcasts which say that? :eek:

Um... she just typed it. Like, on a keyboard. Of her own free will. It's called an opinion.

I like italics.

It was not presented as opinion, but as assumed fact. "I knew" is not the same as "I think". :trogdor:

:rolleyes: I assumed. You like that one better?

Last edited by Lovin' that Coach Z on Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:41 am 

Hm... I'm torn on this one. I mean, it was funny as all hell, but if they're saying SBEmails are over... Well, it's not the fact that it's Strong Bad, or user contribution, but SBEmails just seem more funny than regular toons, or at least more clever, aside from stuff like the occasional halloween toon or somesuch -- I seem to feel that TOONS are better in moderation and not SBEmails. So, if this means the end of 'em... This may be the last funny thing on the site in a while unless they use Strong Bad a hell of a lot more, and I mean his BOFH-that-acknowledges-the-audience personality, not his 'LOL I CHEATED' one.

Either way, stuff like this is great, and I hope to see more of it.

5/5.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:03 am 

Okay, I'll give credit for TBC putting themselves in the cartoon and pointing out the difference between Strong Bad Emails & regular cartoons, but this really took me in surprise. I liked it, I guess, but are they just going to redo their regular cartoons into Strong Bad Emails? And is this their April Fools Day joke? I have so many questions! But there are a lot of quotable lines here, like:

"THIS IS THE WORST IDEA YOU EVER-"
"Toons."
"It's not a rerun or a cop out!"

Yeah, but when will SBEmail 201 come out? These other 'toons are great, but I've always wanted to see an actual NEW SBEmail.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:06 am 

Uhhh, can you say mindblow? ? 5/5

I thought Kick-A-Ball was going to be my favorite toon this year, but then this shows up and (excuse the pun) kicks it out of the ball field! The part with The Brothers Chaps was by far one of my favorite moments on the site! This was well worth the wait!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:44 am 

yadaman wrote:
SBEmails just seem more funny than regular toons, or at least more clever, aside from stuff like the occasional halloween toon or somesuch -- I seem to feel that TOONS are better in moderation and not SBEmails.

That's because they've had so much more practice with the Emails. They've gotten it down to a fine art. Unfortunately a lot of the time it's been turned into paint-by-the-numbers lately, which is why they need to put down the paints and canvas for a while and pick up the stone and chisel. Or in less obscurely metaphorical terms, time to switch gears.

I don't know if you've played SBCG4AP, but I did and it was proof to me that they can handle non-SBemail-related material on a large scale. Granted, it still stars Strong Bad; almost everything has to now that they've made Homestar the idiot of the bunch, although the second HRemail suggests they might able to make that work anyway.

I've long felt it funny that the emails started out being a side feature and wound up being the vast majority of the site's content, and the root source of almost everything else. It'd be nice to see what would happen if the Brothers Chaps forced themselves to step away from that and go back to making cartoons about just whatever.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:27 am 

With all the discussion about "SBEmail YES!" and "SBemail NO!" I had decided to just wait and see what the Bros Chaps were gonna do. Just about everything they do is incredible work, so I didn't really care one way or the other about whether it was a new SBemail or a new something else. Apparently, many didn't feel that way. And Teh Bros Chaps decided to mess with everyone. I don't see this toon (Email?) as a clear "YES" or a clear "NO" on new SBemails. More like a "Yeah yeah, no, yeah." Instead of directly answering "will there be new SBemails?" They simply told the voracious viewers that it didn't matter as much as it sounds. "No new SBemails" sounds pretty scary. But is it bad if they keep making great cartoons?

Note: I do not think they will actually SBEmailerize old toons. Referencing this is simply their way of saying "SBemails are just like other toons."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:08 am 

I finally registered, after months of lurking these boards, just so I could talk about this toon.

I never know what to expect from the Bros. Chaps, and I've been a fan for over 6 years. This is an awesome cartoon. I don't think I've ever laughed through the whole thing before. I'm just so impressed.

I really don't want Sbemails to come back for a while. I'd love to see more toons and shorts. Preferably toons. I love this website and I love the wiki... But most importantly, I love my Strongbad hoodie.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:07 am 

When I saw the words 'a new sbemail' I was sorta excited and disappointed. On one hand I was glad to see the good ol' Lappy after all this time, but another part of me was like Great back to sbemails every freaking week.

But this was a nice hybrid of both toon and sbemail. Lol, Matt grew facial hair. I think that sbemail and Toons can exist side by side rather than just "no more sbemails" or "only sbemails"

However, while I do hope they bring back sbemails, I hope there's a few less in proportion to the regular toons.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:10 pm 

Lame!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:41 pm 

TBC probably sill have on record thousands nay millions of emails to get inspiration from. Most of the time the sbemail have very little to do with the actual email just some tangent of the email. So for a lot of the stuff they still have and probably are still getting a bunch of emails for inspiration however because their ideas are tangential to the emails, it means they really don't need to have the sbemail.

For example Kick-a-ball could have came from an email such as this...

Dear Strongbad,
When playing sports how do you determine what is fair and what isn't. And how do you find ways around that.

Because there are so many emails out there they probably have been creating the tune and finding an email to fit it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:04 pm 

I love the drive through whale.
Awesome toon. It does seem the independent toons are freer to be what they want to be.
(weird, 'freer' is spelled correctly.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:32 pm 

If this is an April Fools joke, which it probably is, it's the best one ever. I just love the Brothers Chaps' appearance in here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:07 pm 

Heimstern Läufer wrote:
I love it when TBC mess with their fans. :-D

Why do I get the feeling they don't care what their fans say? This is their thing and if they want to recreate it so that what came before never happened, they'll do that...

Okay, I've done my rant...

Seriously, it looks to me their way of saying: "Quit clamouring for more SBemails! If you didn't see the transcript where we said 'that's it, we're not doing any more', re-read it now. And again. And 200 times if necessary... until you get it."

Okay, maybe not. Better step away for a while...

20X6_chairscoot wrote:
If this is an April Fools joke, which it probably is, it's the best one ever. I just love the Brothers Chaps' appearance in here.

:sb: Ooooooooooooooooooooo... kay. But we'll see.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:48 pm 

Am I the only one who HATES this toon?

It's not funny. It's not interesting. It's boring. It's confusing. The "humour" (what little there is) looks very, very forced.

A big thumbs down.

Post subject: Re: Sbemailiarized!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:38 pm 

Homsar's Dad wrote:
Not a chance. Sbemails are their bread and butter. It drives everything else. Think about how much has come from sbemails, like Trogdor, 20X6, Old Timey, Sweet Cuppin' Cakes, Limozeen, etc.

Only because TBC made them the bread and butter - these various factors could easily have come about without the e-mail if they had wanted.

Homsar's Dad wrote:
I think TBC are doing this to cover for the fewer and fewer sbemails that have been done so they could concentrate on SBCG4AP. The whole site itself has grown beyond what 2 guys could do on their own anyway.

That doesn't really make sense, since they have still been making cartoons every couple of weeks with things like "Kick a Ball" and "4 Gregs" this year. If they had not got time to make SBEmails, they could not have made these either.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:55 pm 

Maybe this toon is saying "Hey! Its been 7 months since we may a sbemail! How bout we get out ugly hineys off the chair and start making them sbemails!!"

Oh, and
:sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: / :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next