5/5 A solid gold scale perfectly balanced with gold bricks. 41%  41%  [ 48 ]
4/5 It's Financed with monopoly money 37%  37%  [ 43 ]
3/5 Made by some Jr. High kid in pre-algebra 19%  19%  [ 22 ]
2/5 Independent of anything good 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
1/5 A Hideous Growth on my butt 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 116
 Post subject: Re: SBemail 203
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:00 pm 

Like "imaginary", I sadly found this one lacking somewhat, although Strong Bad's computer discoveries were good, and I lol'd at Homestar protesting against being a washed-out TV actor. Digitalised preeeeow was a highlight for me. 3/5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:31 pm 

??? wrote:
Heh heh, he's all Vista'd-up.

More like "all Windows 95'd up"

at least, that's what it reminds me of.

also, I like how even though he's using a modern computer he still uses a DOS client to check his email.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:38 pm 

It was an ok email. I pretty much only watched it to see the Compé in action.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:04 am 

It's a bit amusing that SB does not appear to be running the Compé at maximum resolution.
Perhaps this is SB's way of clinging to retro computing, by clinging to the strong, distinctive, manly pixels of 720x400.

If this is deliberate, I expect a future gag where SB flips out at the lack of manly distinctive pixels after the Cheat tweaks the Compé's settings behind SB's back.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:43 am 

Location: good folks, good fun, hot death: the death ray place. put some ZAP in your mouth!
Mr.Diskette wrote:
Email was pretty funny, and I may try lightly weeping into a sax to see what that'd sound like, Also, Matt Chapmans face in the "Static..." poster was quite hilarious.
I dock it from 4/5 to 3/5 because of the new new paper and switch to GUI, let me remind you we are entitled to our opinion and do not deserve a "fail."
I would be better with the CLI to GUI switch if he just started on the prompt screen at the start of the sbemail, however that may not happen due to the awkwardness it would cause for the intro song.

YEAH! This email brought out the inner film critic in me! (ya see my name?)

Anyhow. After watching it about 10 or 12 times, I'm ready to upgrade it to 3/5.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:22 am 

UnNamed wrote:
Yes. That's because the email list is saved in a different file and all the email menu's starting with the lappy link to that file.

Thanks for the information

Happy Tree Friends and Homestar Runner forever!!!!

I´ll do more translations in Spanish soon!

Post subject: Re: imaginary, er...independent, er...wait...SBemail 203.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:30 pm 

valeyard wrote:
How do you get them to do that?

There isn't really anyway to get them to do it, I'm afraid. It's all a matter of periodic (or Dynamic) updaing done at wherever those DNS servers are that your ISP (or other DNS) has. But hopefully by now we're all able to access it. After all, it has been two days. XD

UnNamed wrote:
I don't really think he's running windows 2 i said or something like that. But if it isn't from 1989 there is no linux OS that runs .exe files without special programs like Wine.

Actually, Wine wasn't even around then. It would be another four years until it existed, if we are still talking about the Compé being a 1989 computer. And even then it wouldn't have performed as well as it does today.

All of this criticism and disapproval of the Compé makes me wonder if The Brothers Chaps knew this was going to be an unwelcomed change. If so, there's probably a plot just waiting to unfold! :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:13 am 

This was good, can't figure out exactly what to give it in the poll.

Anyway, the computer reminds me of some odd early-ish GUI (like Windows 3.1 though it's obviously not that) running "DOS shell" programs. Doubt they wanted to rip off an existing OS too closely.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:55 am 

I'm gonna predict that Strong Bad's wallpaper is gonna be a running gag throughout the Compe (seriously, how do you do the li'l SHIKA thing?) Era. He'll have a different one every email or something.

(Honestly though, I think they should have the accented E on the Interface for the Post a Reply menu here. It'd make things easier.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:38 pm 

I hope you're right about the wallpaper, because seriously, that picture of Strong Bad's bum is not aesthetically pleasing. Funny, but not aesthetically pleasing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:54 am 

Soiled Bargains wrote:
valeyard wrote:
How do you get them to do that?

There isn't really anyway to get them to do it, I'm afraid. It's all a matter of periodic (or Dynamic) updaing done at wherever those DNS servers are that your ISP (or other DNS) has. But hopefully by now we're all able to access it. After all, it has been two days. XD

Technically, DNS issues should only affect the site if they've recently changed servers. However, you could try OpenDNS and see if it helps.

I suspect some ISPs (or even some people) are using aggressive caching proxies that are slavishly following the timeout specified by mod_expires or some similar feature.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:26 pm 

Icemask wrote:
I'm gonna predict that Strong Bad's wallpaper is gonna be a running gag throughout the Compe (seriously, how do you do the li'l SHIKA thing?) Era. He'll have a different one every email or something.

You know, I was speculating the exact same thing! His butt the first week, and who knows what the next!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:20 am 

Icemask wrote:

I agree with this. I think TBC are trying to look for new jokes to make sbemail more interesting. Notice the floppy disks are gone so I guess no more new one every week anymore :(.

I like the Compe okay, but I don't like that it has no interactive feature, like Lappy's screen you could press on or the contrast buttons on Compy/Tandy. You could technically still have the lappy screen effect since it's an LCD monitor. At the very least you should be able to turn it on/off while he is typing or something.

The ultimate thing would be if when you scroll over the screen on Compe and could then make it right click a menu option as if you were using SB's mouse... letting you view the screen saver or some kind of file message that makes fun of you or something like that. That'd be neat and new.

I don't like that the sbemail menu has no random feature anymore (why not?)... and no more scroll button songs. At least not right now, but I'd say that means never. Like they decided to just stop doing that.

As for the email itself, I thought it was one of the better ones. I think it was pretty darn funny and accurate on indie vs. independent films haha. I even went to see 500 Days of Summer and it had... an animated/drawn opening just like that... pretty funny. I like how Strong Bad just was like, yeah I knwo what you wanted me to do but I didn't do it. SO HA! LOL.

8.5/10

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:07 am 

:sb: :sb: :sb: :sb:/ :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb:

The new CompE just needs some getting used to is all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:33 pm 

Soiled Bargains wrote:
All of this criticism and disapproval of the Compé makes me wonder if The Brothers Chaps knew this was going to be an unwelcome change. If so, there's probably a plot just waiting to unfold! :D

I think that may be putting far too much weight on the importance of a few dozen opinions of super hardcore über fans/critics on one fan forum. The majority of TBC's viewers probably come to the website, watch the cartoons and laugh a bit, and then go on with their day instead of nitpicking every minuscule detail and what's 'different than how it was before' or all the things they don't like and what TBC need to do instead.

Overall I would guess that most people like the new computer and are just rolling with it. And TBC had to know there would be criticism and disapproval, they poked enough fun at all the people who thought life wouldn't go on without sbemails. Plus, if they tried to take every nerd's suggestion about what to do next the website would probably end up resembling Strong Bad's grotesque regenerated bodies from the disconnected email.

As far as the new computer and the changes go, I love it and it's fun to see new content get introduced. It would get stale if they always left things the same or followed a rigid formula. The changes haven't been grossly out of character for the site and people will either learn to like them or move on, either way I look forward to whatever else H*R brings to the table.

5/5...because I hate you. OOOoooooooo!! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:43 pm 

UnNamed wrote:
I like the Compé but a GUI? That's cool but so not Strong Bad.

I'm glad that joke is done. Maybe it's not "Strong Bad" but we've had GUI's now since the 80s. Maybe it would have been better to make a jump to Win 3.1, 95 or 98, because this feels like a jump to the XP / Vista / Win 7 era.

I've been watching Homestarrunner.com since 2002.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:12 am 

Alright, so. I ADORE the Compé, I'm going to love seeing whether there's a new background picture each time, and the e-mail itself was just hilarious. I didn't stop laughing. I was doubting Homestar Runner for a while but this e-mail was just great.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:51 am 

I was bored through the whole toon,didn't even smile ONCE,and it was filled with bad attempts at funny. I hate the new computer and paper (I LOVED THE PAPES) and all and all it was very bad

0/5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:46 am 

Cloverstardrop wrote:
I was bored through the whole toon,didn't even smile ONCE,and it was filled with bad attempts at funny. I hate the new computer and paper (I LOVED THE PAPES) and all and all it was very bad

0/5

FINALLY!!!!! SOMEONE WHO AGREES WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:21 pm 

ITT: BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWW!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:57 am 

I liked it for the most part, the GUI was a cool addition. Yeah, yeah, it's not Strong Bad, blah blah, but now there's more opportunities to make fun of computers. The one thing I didn't like was the not-paper. Maybe in the next one, he'll personalize it to look like a digital The Paper, so it would be just like old sbemails (He customized the noise, so why can't he do the same about the look?)

4/5.
Quote:
didn't even smile ONCE

He didn't in the old ones, and nobody complained about those! Besides, he's been smiling in every other cartoon! He barely ever did that before, (like, pre-'05)...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:49 am 

atarifanatic wrote:
He didn't in the old ones, and nobody complained about those! Besides, he's been smiling in every other cartoon! He barely ever did that before, (like, pre-'05)...

"Surely your not serious?"
"I'm serious! And don't call me shirley"

I meant "I didn't smile"

Stiny wrote:
Cloverstardrop wrote:

0/5

FINALLY!!!!! SOMEONE WHO AGREES WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MINE TOO!!!!!HIGH-FIVE! :mrgreen:

Anyhoo,what was with that weird pause in Strong Sad's part?! I mean it didn't make any sense....Could SOMEONE give me an explanation?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:57 am 

Cloverstardrop wrote:
Anyhoo,what was with that weird pause in Strong Sad's part?! I mean it didn't make any sense....Could SOMEONE give me an explanation?

I do believe it was because he "minored in holding on wide shots for too long". A joke, see.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:58 am 

Heimstern Läufer wrote:
Cloverstardrop wrote:

I do believe it was because he "minored in holding on wide shots for too long". A joke, see.

Oh oh oh OOOHH! Ok,sorry,I have a short attention span.....very short. But I don't think it was needed,it just....slowed down an already slow toon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:51 pm 

Cloverstardrop wrote:
atarifanatic wrote:

"Surely your not serious?"
"I'm serious! And don't call me shirley"

I meant "I didn't smile"

Oh.

Maybe I just have a weird sense of humor. Oh well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:37 pm 

Thought I'd drop in to say that for me, this is the best Strong Bad email in a very long time. The "independent" vs. "indie" thing is something he totally nailed, and it gave me lots of laughs throughout the toon. The too-long hold on Strong Sad was probably the favorite part for me. All in all, this email was a wonderful return to form for me, on par with the late Compy/early Lappy era of emails, and definitely a step in the right direction.
Everyone going "OMG STRONG BAD IS USE NEW COMPUTER I HATES FOREVER" is completely missing the point. 5/5.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:05 am 

I wonder if the name is based of the very unfortunate SAM Coupé, which was one of the last 8-bit computers still kicking around in the early 90s. No clue on the monitor though.