Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:30 pm 

Nevrmore wrote:
DaerenRyft wrote:
Eh, 7.5/10 at best. It draws some chuckles the first time through, but if you watch it some more, it gets stale. Homestar talking about 'the gweatest undowsea epoch evow filmed,' he may be spoofing some quotes about the famous film '2000 leagues under the sea.' Moral: Good, but not exactly what I was hoping for after two weeks of waiting.

Why? WHY?? Why do people think they should type out the way Homestar talks? He says "GREATEST" not "Gweatest!" gweatest is NOT A WORD! I understand with Coach Z because it's made a point that he says "Jorb" and not "Job", but come on!

Personally, I like it. I can almost imagine Homestar talking when people quote his words exactly as they sound.

As for this email, I thought it was alright. Not bad, but not great. I think virus was better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:05 pm 

I agree. Spelling phonetically to mimick a character's speech mannerisms is fine. Mark Twain did it, why can't we?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:29 pm 

As long as the transcripts don't spell out Homestar's words phonetically then I don't mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:06 am 

SenorCardgage wrote:
I agree. Spelling phonetically to mimick a character's speech mannerisms is fine. Mark Twain did it, why can't we?

Because Mark Twain was doing it for imagery, so a person can have a good mental image of his creation in their heads so they actually enjoy reading his books.

I don't enjoy it when someone expects me to understand what the crap they mean when they type "I love it when homestar goes "aw man tat waws teh gweatewst thing evow, absowutewy!" and besides, anyone can just go to the freaking cartoon and see it themself, so imagery is pointless.

Also, please never, ever compare you or anyone else to Mark Twain, ever again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:28 am 

Can we get back on topic? This is about the email: part-time job. Not how to write the things Homestar says.

Has anybody figured out what Coach Z says when he and Pom-Pom were running away after Bubs threatened them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:00 am 

I just thought it was just Coach Z blabber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:29 am 

MagicHero wrote:
Nevrmore wrote:
DaerenRyft wrote:
Eh, 7.5/10 at best. It draws some chuckles the first time through, but if you watch it some more, it gets stale. Homestar talking about 'the gweatest undowsea epoch evow filmed,' he may be spoofing some quotes about the famous film '2000 leagues under the sea.' Moral: Good, but not exactly what I was hoping for after two weeks of waiting.

Why? WHY?? Why do people think they should type out the way Homestar talks? He says "GREATEST" not "Gweatest!" gweatest is NOT A WORD! I understand with Coach Z because it's made a point that he says "Jorb" and not "Job", but come on!

Personally, I like it. I can almost imagine Homestar talking when people quote his words exactly as they sound.

As for this email, I thought it was alright. Not bad, but not great. I think virus was better.

It is just hard to read if they are typing a long sentence. And a lot of people do not need W's to imagine exactly how homestar would say it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:54 pm 

This wasn't one of my favorites. It's not as bad as tape-leg, but given that TBC had a couple of weeks, it's a little so-so...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:47 pm 

I don't think they worked last week, it was a just a break.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:40 pm 

I'm not impressed. I mean, I was more interested in that easter egg at the end than the actual email. But, now that I think about it, the egg wouldn't be funny without the email... Man, now I'm confused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:12 pm 

I thought this was actually a pretty good e-mail. It had a few elements that really were quite funny -- "Yeah you do," the hot dog clown, "Is Strong Sad cool?" and the Dreamaway Johnny Easter egg. Not too bad in my opinion, especially coming back from such a break (vacation?).

As for the Coach Z thing, it sounds like a twist on "Charge forth!" but I'm not sure exactly how.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:35 pm 

This was the most amazing undowsea epic evow filmed. Tito prize! Ding! :cheatgrin:

Good frickin' grief, MKwhatever dude! Spammity Calamity!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:58 pm 

I'm well aware that, since the cartoons, unlike books, have voices, there is no need for phonetic spelling to enhance the perception of how characters talk. I just don't really see the harm. Chances are no one ever types anything important in "Homestar-ese", so if you don't understand (or want to read) what the crap they tried to say, it's no big loss.

I myself don't typically type "cwapface" instead of "crapface", or "sewiouswy" instead of "seriously", but I respect the freedom of others to do so if they so desire.

And I would never try to compare myself or anyone else to Mark Twain. He was incomparable. Comparisons cannot be made. No comparisons here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:25 pm 

It was said before, and I guess this proves that Strong Sad must've got wireless internet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:11 pm 

The things I mostly enjoyed were "Tito," Homestar's quote "This is the greatest undersea epic ever told," and the note on Mrs. Benedetto. Otherwise, it was just an average one.

Post subject: Re: SB Email 121 - part-time job
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:42 am 

This one made me LOL.

Favorite quote:
:bubs: And I'm gonna be 2X2.

Favorite easter egg:
The one where you click on "power"