Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:51 am 

For me, the weak e-mails are:

Little Animal. A lot of SB's early e-mails were rather empty compared to the Compy's bunch, but this is one of the worst of the lot. Of course, the e-mails have increased in hilarity on the whole since the Tandy exploded, which makes this one more excusable than the later stinkers.

Gimmicks. The whole computer-exploding gag was slightly funny, but not very. I understand the purpose of this e-mail, as the Tandy being broken served as a running joke for the next e-mails, but as an individual epsiode, this one was a little thin.

Current Status. This is my ultimate least-favourite. The joke about Coach B and Zubs wasn't even funny, and, like Car, it was a complete non-sequitur.

Monument. For some reason, everyone likes this one. I don't. It just stops being about the monument and starts being about the Thnikkaman. It's another one of those deviation things - more logical than Car, I'll grant you, but too stupid for my liking.

Car. One of the most hated e-mails in existence, I personally don't like it because of the complete non-sequitur. Strong Bad gets an e-mail about a car, therefore Homestar comes in and starts showing off his propellor cap? Don't get me wrong, e-mails like Lackey that deviate from the original subject aren't bad, as long as they get there by a logical route and it's funny. I didn't like Car because, well, it didn't. You might as well have featured a dancing Nebulon (and it would have been funnier).

Cheatday. Not the worst of the worst, but a bit thin, really.

EDIT: Morning routine. Er, quite.

Last edited by Upsilon on Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:00 am 

I like "little animal"; I think it's fine for an early e-mail, and gave us the "kickin' The Cheat" running gag (even though, if I recall correctly, we never see SB kick The Cheat again, other in that little easter egg game). Strong Bad kicking Strong Mad in trying to think of a witty response was a pretty funny moment if you ask me.

I pretty much agree about the rest, though. But I think it's a bit too early to judge cheatday since it is the most recent. In retrospect it may not seem as thin as it does now.

- Kef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:04 am 

That's true - I didn't like Labor Day at all when it first came out, and now I love it. If my opinion changes, I'll take it off my list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:31 pm 

So people hate Car because its non-sequitur?

Meh, thats half of SB's e-mails really. And the propellor cap actually DID have to do with Cars. It was a 'PImpeD out?' propellor cap!

Oh well... I'm not claiming Car is one of the best e-mails EVAH! But its not that bad, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:57 pm 

I just don't think the "tricked out" cap was a funny gag and it was drawn out much longer than it should have been. Although Strong Bad doing the DELETED! with the mirror writing was good...but that's the only part of the e-mail I really found funny.

Strong Bad's angry response at the end didn't seem too characteristic of him, either, though I'm guessing he was taking out his anger due to Homestar out on the e-mailer.

- Kef

Post subject: Hoi
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:40 am 

Car

The Old , Short Ones

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:30 am 

WTF? Homsar Pwned. It was a great E-Mail, and I really liked Some Kinda Robot. It was great, how SB just jumped from one thing to the next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:38 am 

Location: Deep in the dark dank blackness of... I mean Melbourne, Australia
I reckon "homestar hair" is the worst

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:32 pm 

Pardalis wrote:
So people hate Car because its non-sequitur?

Meh, thats half of SB's e-mails really.

Name one e-mail that isn't on my list that's entirely non-sequitur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:23 am 

As someone who works on and builds customized cars for a living, Car is pretty weak. It just irks me that TBC jumped on such a current pop-culture bandwagon for one e-mail. I mean, I know that they always have had pop-culture references, but they've been from the 80s. The explosion in customized cars has been very recently, particularly since the release of "The Fast and the Furious" and other such shows and movies. It's just to... current. Of course, customized cars have been around since the beginning of the automobile, but only have they reached pop-culture status very recently.

That said, I do think the weakest e-mail is Tape Leg. I've watched it twice, and both times I was disappointed.

However, I certainly don't hold this against TBC. For every great e-mail, there has to be a weak one. And with such gems as Theme Park and Dangeresque 3, as well as MANY others, their e-mails just keep getting better and better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:39 am 

I think the worst e-mail is the one where Coach Z and Pom Pom get into a knife fight. There's only one thing wrong with it, but it's fatal:

It doesn't exist.

Fix that and it'll be perfect. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:21 pm 

Upsilon wrote:

SBE funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:12 am 

As far as Upsilon's non-sequitur e-mails go... Little Animal actually is... sequitur... Nothing non-sequitur about that one. They ask him what he'd do if a little animal comes up to him. And the Cheat could be classified as such.

Also, as for Car... I guess everybody hates H*R's propeller cap then.. But I for one like SB's response to it. And that wasn't at all out of character for him. Homestar actually pays him not to beat him up! (As seen in the Trogdor short easter egg, where H*R pays protection money to SB, Strong Mad and The Cheat.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:55 am 

Upsilon wrote:

I just remembered that "morning routine" almost qualifies. It does have a sequitur (non-non-sequitur?) in that we cut to Strong Bad sleeping and getting up when describing the morning routine (then we sort of start the e-mail over...), but it's not much. And after that we get stuff about hidden eggs. And "Thank you, Interruptor Jones."

I like the e-mail, though. It's just pretty non-sequitur.

- Kef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:04 pm 

TimMierz wrote:
Upsilon wrote:

SBE funny.

Funny isn't non-sequitur in the least. He is told to respond to the e-mail in a humorous way, so he does so.

Pardalis wrote:
As far as Upsilon's non-sequitur e-mails go... Little Animal actually is... sequitur... Nothing non-sequitur about that one. They ask him what he'd do if a little animal comes up to him. And the Cheat could be classified as such.

Right. And did I say that Little Animal was non-sequitur? No. Bye.

furrykef wrote:
I just remembered that "morning routine" almost qualifies. It does have a sequitur (non-non-sequitur?) in that we cut to Strong Bad sleeping and getting up when describing the morning routine (then we sort of start the e-mail over...), but it's not much. And after that we get stuff about hidden eggs.

Hmm... good point. Forgot about that one. *edit'd*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:53 am 

Eh! Nick wrote:
I reckon "homestar hair" is the worst

Uh, Nick, "Homestar hair" is a game
;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:56 am 

That's "Hairstyle Runner". "Homestar Hair" is sbemail #4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:17 am 

Where did my second post go? I posted what I meant by Lackey being non sequitur. Usually, the random bits flow somewhat logically from the premise, or at least seem to make "sense" somehow. In Lackey, it just seemed forced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:49 pm 

I didn't think so. Personally, despite the deviation from the main theme, I quite enjoyed Lackey. I thought the e-mail that was the most "forced" in that respect was Monument.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:22 am 

Car was extremely stupid.
I mean it... :angry:

See look at how angry I am!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:17 am 

MY least favorite emails

Some Kinda Robot Thin. I'll give it some slack for being the first one though.
Butt IQ Even amongst the starters, this one reeks like 6 month old cheese soaked in gym sweat.
Tape-Leg This one is just barely bad, the only thing saving it is the constant referencing.
Sugarbob Weaaaak.
Theme Party A frat frat party? Mkay...that's probably the most half baked thing SB has ever thought of.
Current Status WAY too short for a good SBemail, even for a Tandy SBemail. They could have had way more fun with the Coach B/Zubs thing.
Cheatday Laaaame. I always imagined the cheat answering emails to be much funnier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:35 am 

DaerenRyft wrote:
Theme Party A frat frat party? Mkay...that's probably the most half baked thing SB has ever thought of.

Um, Strong Bad didn't think of it. Matt from Rochester, NY did.

And c'mon.. the Kinda Long-Haired Band rocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:26 pm 

Quote:
DaerenRyft wrote:

Um, Strong Bad didn't think of it. Matt from Rochester, NY did.

No, SB did. Matt asked him to think of a theme for his party.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:59 am 

Funny. By far, the worst. The only thing that saves it was probably Bubs commenting on "Computer Ketchup".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:22 pm 
About the Gumbo thing: Maybe he invited more than one person over that night. As for my opinion: Making out. I don't even think they were trying there. :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:35 pm 

worst email?
those would be tape leg, car, property of ones and butt IQ. :kot:

"Many Combolations, Elizagerth"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:39 am 

Why do so many people hate Tape-Leg. I mean maybe its bad compared to the newer ones but when i first saw it before the Compy 386 Era was around, and back then that was probaly about as Non-Sequitar as it got. Just the idea of somebody asking :sb: if his legs were made of tape is funny.

DOUGLAS!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:32 pm 
Why do people hate car? From what I've seen, the only thing wrong with it is that it's not completely on-topic. (But then again, most Sbemails are a little off-topic.) And even it was slightly on-topic. (The email was about pimed-out cars, Homestar showed his pimped-out propellor hat). Adn still, you got to see Strong Bad punching Homestar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:34 pm 

It didn't have the Funnyness that most e-mails have...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:56 pm 

I don't like some kinda robot (just boring) and the one about the british, I live in Oklahoma and have heard of people in colledge getting calls from their parents asking if they had been attacked by Indians.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next