Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:46 pm 

First "portrait" and now this. I think TBC may be reverting back to funny e-mails.

:eekdance: :eekdance: TOTPD :eekdance: :eekdance:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:26 pm 

I think TBC didn't post a decemberween toon because they didn't want to be caught on a side on this whole "War on Christmas" nonsence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:55 pm 
Pizza Pizza

If it takes them a month's break to come up with emails of this quality, maybe a month long break for TBC every now and then isn't so bad.

Just don't take too many, fellas. Please? B-)

I still want to see a "MacGuyver" reference/parody..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:11 pm 

So, I guess they didn't take a month off to work on a new and more awesome toon, but to spend time with their family or some bologna like that! What sellouts. :P

This one was pretty good, although it never really had me on the floor. I smiled most of the way through it, and the paramecium bit was pure dynamite, but it's nothing I'll make a point of re-watching next week. I'd give it...dunno...6.8/10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:42 pm 

Argle! Bargle! Xbftlskeskakxksaijalkz!
Okay, so I've putted the url of the new email already in my favorites like a month ago, and checked every day (a lot lot lot of times), just to be sure I'd be one of the first to see the new email...
And then there's nothing happening on the HR site for a long time, but I still check at least twice a day...
And then I'm (partly) gone for a short time because school started again and guess what? Gah!
I just noticed that there already was a new sbemail for a long fweakin' time!

...Okay, I'd better go watch it now...

I think I now understand why some people have a weird Sbaby avvy.

EDIT: I didn't see anything about this on the wiki... aren't Homestars legs with the brew a reference to Tom and Jerry? I'm not sure if I'm right, and if this is or isn't posted already... what do you think?

Another edit: Okay, it was already posted on the discussion page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:49 pm 

Ah, this was very much like the older emails, especially with the bit about Romans. Loved the baby Coach Z!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:18 pm 

Ok. That e-mail, SUCKED. It was pretty obvious that the authors had no good ideas to work with, and so they threw together a bunch of totally random sketches they had kicking around, added some comedically-barren dialogue, and called it an email. This episode was unfunny, weird and above all tired. Each week, emails are relying on a standard formula that is increasingly showing its age. Am I the only one who sees this? I mean c'mon, this email simply does not hold up to some of the classics like Caffeine or Date. Those emails are based off of strong ideas and funny character interaction, and they have much more staying power and lasting appeal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:19 pm 

Deep Sea Fangly Fish wrote:
Those emails are based off of strong ideas and funny character interaction, and they have much more staying power and lasting appeal.

I don't think I could have put that any better. At the same time, I can appreciate the original humor that IS in the new email, but it really is buried under some tired ideas. How many more times do you think Strong Bad will say "We were all the time trying to" do whatever before TBC realize that that wordplay isn't funny anymore? How many times will they make fun of old, campy TV shows before they realize it's lost its bang?

Nevertheless, I'm optimistic. I could have used the same argument to talk about "car," but after that one, they got funny and original again, IMO. Remember "lunch special?" Or "for kids?" Or "other days?" Or "the facts" through "radio?" Or countless others after them? Those were really clever things that relied on the characters and strong ideas. I'm very optimistic that the glory days are still ahead of us.

Last edited by El Zilcho on Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:20 pm 

Mr.KISS wrote:
Hey, I just watched it again and noticed something. When Marzipan: Highschool edition comes on she says calls the place the people are in a "Pie Factory" that was owned by her "Long lost uncle". Considering how the place looks, does that mean it's Pietimer place from "That a Ghost"? If so, doesn't that mean that that scary ghost thing is Marzipan's long lost uncle? :eek:

Oooo...Internesting notice.

Also...Why is homestar still an adult in the baby part?

....And why is stong sad wearing pink?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:22 pm 
Pizza Pizza

extremejon09 wrote:
Also...Why is homestar still an adult in the baby part?

I think that was a throw to "Muppet Babies" with Homestar being "Nanny"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:51 pm 

I thought this was a pretty good one. The single cell jokes made me crack up, as did the baby segment. I liked the homage to Scooby Doo and other shows like that. All-around good Sbemail.

A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:05 am 

El Zilcho wrote:
Deep Sea Fangly Fish wrote:
Those emails are based off of strong ideas and funny character interaction, and they have much more staying power and lasting appeal.

I don't think I could have put that any better. At the same time, I can appreciate the original humor that IS in the new email, but it really is buried under some tired ideas. How many more times do you think Strong Bad will say "We were all the time trying to" do whatever before TBC realize that that wordplay isn't funny anymore? How many times will they make fun of old, campy TV shows before they realize it's lost its bang?

Nevertheless, I'm optimistic. I could have used the same argument to talk about "car," but after that one, they got funny and original again, IMO. Remember "lunch special?" Or "for kids?" Or "other days?" Or "the facts" through "radio?" Or countless others after them? Those were really clever things that relied on the characters and strong ideas. I'm very optimistic that the glory days are still ahead of us.

I have to agree that there is defenitely a forumla in SBEmail that is begining to become a bit tired and old. I haven't thouroughly really enjoyed an e-mail since "Virus." That e-mail,although repeating an alreayd used plot device (destroying SB's computer)... was very original with it's crazy pop-ups and extending screen. Radio was also very good, as was Do-Over, IMO. But I think for the most part, they've always followed the formula... sometimes they have better ideas sometimes they don't... it's hit or miss really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:14 am 

Power Crunch wrote:
I have to agree that there is defenitely a forumla in SBEmail that is begining to become a bit tired and old. I haven't thouroughly really enjoyed an e-mail since "Virus." That e-mail,although repeating an alreayd used plot device (destroying SB's computer)... was very original with it's crazy pop-ups and extending screen. Radio was also very good, as was Do-Over, IMO. But I think for the most part, they've always followed the formula... sometimes they have better ideas sometimes they don't... it's hit or miss really.

Yeah. I watched all the E-mails on the 4th sb_email.exe disc in a row for the first time today, and doing that caused the tiredness of the formula to become more apparent than I realized. Don't get me wrong - there are quite a few very good or GREAT ones in that stretch (animal, virus, montage, radio, etc.), but for the most part, the success of a latter day E-mail depends on how successfully they can milk already established territory. During those times when they're not very successful, the weaker recent E-mails seem a lot more stale and lame than even the weaker Compy E-mails did. The toons don't quite have this tiredness problem yet, so they seem to be more consistently fresh IMO.

Last edited by Encountering Gremlins on Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:54 am 

SvenVollfied wrote:
Short and sweet.

Not the greatest (I still hold theme park in that place~) but it WAS fun.

That being said.

I WANT A DANG HOMESTAR BABIES TOON!

Don't we all man don't we all.

I bet now were all hoping for the versions of the other characters in the different forms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:39 am 

I'll admit it...my sister and I watched Muppet Babies as young kiddies. Ok? OK? Anydangway, I liked it because of how eclectic it was. Coolio, I says!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:41 am 
Pizza Pizza

DanBo wrote:
I'll admit it...my sister and I watched Muppet Babies as young kiddies. Ok? OK? Anydangway, I liked it because of how eclectic it was. Coolio, I says!

I'll admit it, too.. That's how I remembered that..
I miss the real muppet show, though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:45 am 

That was awesome. It took a really long time to load, though.

9/10

SAVE THE EXTRA ONE POINT FOR SAVINGS!

Is there a reason why everyone has little Strong Bad avvies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:55 am 

every tiem it gets to baby :sad: adn baby :poop: it freezes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:54 am 

Power Crunch wrote:
I haven't thouroughly really enjoyed an e-mail since "Virus."

Me neither. Virus was very cleverly written. Pretty much every email since then has seemed like an attempt to coin a new phrase or provide characters for future toys or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:26 am 

DigitalJourney176 wrote:
Power Crunch wrote:

Me neither. Virus was very cleverly written. Pretty much every email since then has seemed like an attempt to coin a new phrase or provide characters for future toys or something.

It might just be you're still adjusting to the idea of a new computer. It was easy to part with the Tandy because it was only in use for about 20-30 or so e-mails. But, the Compy was in use for a LONG time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:36 am 

I think the difference here is e-mails which are:

- Variations on a theme
- Storylines

I'd prefer to see more of the latter, rather than the former.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:59 am 

Mr.KISS wrote:
DigitalJourney176 wrote:
Power Crunch wrote:

It might just be you're still adjusting to the idea of a new computer. It was easy to part with the Tandy because it was only in use for about 20-30 or so e-mails. But, the Compy was in use for a LONG time.

I don't think so. The computer StrongBad uses has really nothing to do with the email itself. I think...

Crystallina wrote:
I think the difference here is e-mails which are:

- Variations on a theme
- Storylines

I'd prefer to see more of the latter, rather than the former.

That Crystallina is right. The best SBEmails are the ones with more of a storyline than just a variation on a theme. I remember how hard I laughed at "Virus," and how little if any, I laugh at more recent mails. The first one I really remember watching, "Kids Book," also made me laugh hysterically. It was clever and different because... instead of just having StrongBad read his own dumb version of a children's book... it was 10x funnier because he marked out and changed parts of a real one. lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:48 pm 

Why will nobody bring up the awesome fact that Don Knotts was "in" it? It was great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:47 pm 

Location: Trapped inside a cage. It isn't even locked, but I'm an idiot.
Speckeldorf wrote:
Is there a reason why everyone has little Strong Bad avvies?

For every 1000 people who get SB baby avatars, I donate $5 to the wiki.

Other than that, I don't know, and I would like somebody to fill me in as well. I just joined the club 'cause I had a unique idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:47 pm 

You can go check some of the Threads in the "Getting to know you board" if you're interested in knowing about the BSB avvies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:39 pm 

This was a pretty-pretty good, I must say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:06 pm 

Frankly, I'm furious. So long since an update and now when they finally do, still no stinkoman level 10. How wonderful. I honestly feel like stabbing TBC for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:14 pm 
Pizza Pizza

Anarchy_Balsac wrote:
Frankly, I'm furious. So long since an update and now when they finally do, still no stinkoman level 10. How wonderful. I honestly feel like stabbing TBC for this.

rrriiiiiiiight... that'll make them do updates quite often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:32 am 

StrongRad wrote:
Anarchy_Balsac wrote:

No, stabbing them will kill them. You have to think more 4th dimensionally. You see, if you just enslave them and starve them until they complete level 10 or ya know, the six hour long H*R movie, I'm sure you'll get better results. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:44 pm 

Anarchy_Balsac wrote:

Yea everybody is gettin a little anxious to get at that level 10. But, no amount of bitching or complaining will get them to release, I mean we were all bitching about how long it took them to give us an update in december, but it didn't make them go any faster.

Just do like baby :sb: and pretend your playing better video games.

"Aw man, that freakin duck swallowed both my pixels!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next