Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Storyteller, The Second Age: The Adventure Begins!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:41 am 

Biscuithead wrote:
Jones' Girl wrote:
Drekle turned to the man - noting the placement of his hand on his weapon - and once again asked himself why he didn't carry one (though never before would he have found it necessary). "I know he was a part of a gang that's been causing a lot of trouble in this town and that catching them is worth something. I also know that the man nearly knocked me down with his getaway attempt. Now you tell me, why the inquisition?" As he finished talking, he realized that this was the elf that had been sitting with Duncan, who he now noticed just a few paces from them. He had no idea why they would suspect him of anything, but didn't know what else to say.

"A gang?" Orandius was surprised. "How do I know you are not a part of this gang?"

He looked into the man's eyes using a simple spell, it took a short while, but he could see no hatred or secrecy in them. However, the man in the grey cloak would not show his eyes, so Orandius could not use magic to sense his feelings.

"No, I believe you are innocent," he reassured Drekle, "but I'm not so sure about your friend here."
He then sharply turned to Cage. "What do you have to say for yourself?"

<GM's Note: The following information is meta-game information. None of your characters know this, but it's usefull for purposes of game machanics, and so I present it here for the players to avail themselves of if they wish.

I'll say that spell Orandius used there was "Detect Malice." It's a low-power spell that looks at the surface thoughts of the target and will alert the caster if the target currently plans to do the caster harm, is wilfully and maliciously being deceitful, or simply hates the caster. The spell requires a few seconds of direct eye contact, and will only work at short range. If successfully cast and if the target meets any of the criteria for detection, then the spell will give the caster a distinct visual cue of a red exclamation mark (visible only to the caster) that will appear floating over the target character's head if the target meets any of the criteria for detection. If such a vistaul cue appears, the caster will not know which of the criteria have been detected, just that one or more of them have. If the target is free of the criteria for detection, a green check-mark (visible only to the caster) will appear over the character's head. Targets who have shielded their minds through more advanced magic or who are otherwise able to shield their minds from magical probing are immune to this spell: In such a case, the spell will return no result at all. Also, some people, such as certain monks or some people with psionic powers, may have special mental disciplines, abilities, skills and/or psionic powers that will render the casting of Detect Malice on such a person prone returning strangely ambiguous results. You might get a floating yellow question mark, a fluffy white cloud, or a madly dancing rag-doll puppet for a visual indicator in such a case.
As Orandius is a mostly self-taught mage. He had little to no formal training. As such, his technique for casting spells is unrefined. Becasue of this, his spell results differ from what a traditionally taught mage would get. IN the case of this spell, instead of a visual indicator, Orandius just gets a distinct mental cue he can "feel". Also, he is more likely to mis-fire this (or any) spell until he gets some proper training, or until he becomes experienced enough to develop mastery of his own unique style of spellcasting.>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:50 pm 

Location: living in the sunling, loving in the moonlight, having a wonderful time.
Biscuithead wrote:
"A gang?" Orandius was surprised. "How do I know you are not a part of this gang?"

He looked into the man's eyes using a simple spell, it took a short while, but he could see no hatred or secrecy in them. However, the man in the grey cloak would not show his eyes, so Orandius could not use magic to sense his feelings.

"No, I believe you are innocent," he reassured Drekle, "but I'm not so sure about your friend here."
He then sharply turned to Cage. "What do you have to say for yourself?"

At that, Cage shot an irritated glare at this intruder.

“Say? For myself? Gosh, ye’re the kind one, aren’t ye, sir? I’ll have ye know that I an’ Mister Drekle were merely having a pleasant conversation when that rouge ne’rly bowled my friend over with that sack o’ whate’er he tried to get away with. I di’n’t want te get involved, seeing my own appearance is suspect enough, but I guess that doesn’t matter now, does it?” For the first time, he open his arms, pulling back his cloak. He gestured apologetically to his empty stomach. A short sword and several daggers were tucked away in his belt, too, just barely visible in the dim light. He decided to take this in a different direction.

“M’self” he began in a more downtrodden tone “I’m but a lone traveler who hasn’t had a bite in more’n a day, and this benevol’nt soul has offered me one. If this pleases you, sir, I have no knowledge of any gang or miscreants that this town has te offer.”
And now I wish I did get involved, he added to himself, seein that fat sack o’ pay that lizard just got. That chap doesn’t need a cent o’ that stuff, by the looks of his belly. Thin soup, I guess.

Cage looked back up at the elf and wrapped his cloak around himself again. “Tell me, sir – what ‘bout you? What do ye say for yourself? Awful nice of ye to come over here, look at us funny and start shoutin' at us.”

Post subject: Re: Storyteller, The Second Age: Sign-ups Closed!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:15 pm 

Biscuithead wrote:
"I am here for two reasons, Duncan. Firstly, I am on a journey to find an experienced magician learn the ways of magic. Secondly, I am looking for adventure. And may I ask you the same question?"

"Certainly. I'm on my way home from a scouting expedition with my fellow Lizzardmen. They're all on their ship home to our land, but I humbled myself and decided to take the long way on foot. I don't know how long it shall take, but I should hope to arrive in good health, having won many battles and made great friends along the way."

Inside, Duncan was laughing and laughing and laughing. It was true that he was going home alone, but of course he lied about his ship and the Lizzards who were (or weren't) on it.

"Perhaps you can join me. I am strong physically, but against magic I am powerless. If we find a magician during our quest, I hope he can train you in his ways."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:03 am 

Cage's response saddened Orandius. He was convinced by the man, and decided it was not even necessary to use Detect Malice on him (the man had already mentioned looking at him funny, and Orandius did not want to offend him further).
"I'm sorry, good sir. It's just that I am the suspicious type, I thought the man might have had a partner.
Please, if I did offend, I offer my dearest apologies. There are still a few acquaintances of mine sitting in the Inn, I will buy you a meal if you wish," he then looked over to Drekle and extended his offer, "both of you. If you do not wish to join me after my rudeness, I will understand."

Orandius stepped back from them, to let them consider his offer. This was when Duncan talked to him.
"Of course," Orandius replied to his offer. "I would certainly enjoy journeying with you. My own journey has been both fruitless and lonely, perhaps by journeying together we may remedy this. However, this will depend on what happens tomorrow, when I intend to visit the wizard who I was told lives in this village."

<OOC: That would be Anton Plergart, who the bartender told Orandius about right at the start.>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:12 am 

Location: The world is ours to follow! (In the bandwagon of course)
Luke coughed again, and said, "Er, I don't think we've been introduced. Name's Luke Beryl. Are you with the Lizzardman?" Luke held out his right hand to James.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:27 am 

Chichindrich wrote:
Luke coughed again, and said, "Er, I don't think we've been introduced. Name's Luke Beryl. Are you with the Lizzardman?" Luke held out his right hand to James.
James shook with his right hand and said "Wow, that's a bad cold you got there, anyways I'm James Tsif and I'm currently not with the Lizardman, I'm just a lone wolf for now."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:33 pm 

Biscuithead wrote:
Cage's response saddened Orandius. He was convinced by the man, and decided it was not even necessary to use Detect Malice on him (the man had already mentioned looking at him funny, and Orandius did not want to offend him further).
"I'm sorry, good sir. It's just that I am the suspicious type, I thought the man might have had a partner.
Please, if I did offend, I offer my dearest apologies. There are still a few acquaintances of mine sitting in the Inn, I will buy you a meal if you wish," he then looked over to Drekle and extended his offer, "both of you. If you do not wish to join me after my rudeness, I will understand."

"I appreciate the offer sir, but I've already eaten." Drekle was a bit surprised that the elf had not remembered him from earlier, as he had spoken with others at the table. Truth be told, he was slightly offended.

He turned to Cage. "If you're keen to take this offer I'll take no offense. A full meal is better than bread. The bartender can point you toward the gemsmith's once you've finished."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6