Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:59 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Internets TCG 2!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:33 pm 

Location: The world is ours to follow! (In the bandwagon of course)
This time, it's not Internets 1!

So, I decided to revive this topic for two reasons:

1) It was awesome.

2) For a game design contest that I'm entering, I'm going to make this into a Java game.

Here are the gameplay rules that I've worked out so far:

Basic Turn Structure:

Each turn, a player draws a card. They also recieve an income of "Tubes", which are used to play cards. They then play cards using their income + whatever they have saved from previous turns. They play fully summoned creatures to their front line, but if they only want to summon a card partially (only pay part of the Tube cost) they place it in a secondary line. There will be a maximum of partially summoned creatures for each side. After all their cards are played (hacks included), they may attack with one creature. That creature may attack one of three targets: a front line creature, a secondary line creature (if there is no creature in front of it), or the opponent (if there are no creatures on his side of the field). For the first turn of each player, attacking is disabled. The game is over when one player loses all of their health.

Cards:

Cards are divided into four distinct varieties; basic creatures, heroes, hacks, and homepages. A standard deck will have 70 cards in it: 5 homepages, 15 heroes, and 50 basic creatures and hacks. The cards themselves (with the exception of some hacks and homepages) are divided into four factions. They are Human, Meme, User, and LOL. Humans are (duh) humans residing in the internet. Users are humans who have fully immersed themselves in the internet. LOLs are, in esscence, image macro creatures and the like. Memes are anything that is not an image macro or user that is on the internet. As far as power and abilities go, the cards stack up like this:

Basic
User
Human
LOL/Meme

Hero
Meme
Human
LOL
User

Basic creatures are the majority of the creatures in your deck. They are far more effective the more of them there are. Heroes range from slightly stronger than basic cards to nearly being able to hold the line by themselves. Hacks are item cards. They affect a wide variety of things. Homepages have constant effects so long as they are in play, but each player may only have one out at a time. There will be different strategies and whatnot that go with each faction. Decks are NOT limited to a single faction, however, it will be unwise to heavily mix factions (AKA have all four equally in a deck). You may have up to three of a card in your deck, but heroes cannot have duplicates.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
What I need:

If there is any feedback about gameplay, then I'm all too willing to consider it. If anybody still has the card templates from the last thread, that would help. What I need most are card ideas. Obviously, anything that I use must be a widespread known internet...thingy. A "Snape Dies" card would be an example of what NOT to submit. Make sure it fits (unless it's a hack) into a faction. Also, keep it PG for Pete's sake. I know most of the internet is not, but I'm pretty sure I'd get disqualified if it wasn't.

*breath*

I'll get a list going soon of what card ideas I have already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:02 pm 

This place doesn't know LOL or meme, so It'd be kinda drawn out, you know?

Still, was a good idea back then, before everyone got so uptight, but now it seems like this will be filled with users arguing about what should be a Meme card or a LOL card, and which websites deserve cards, or what user card's descriptions should be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:09 am 

Alright then, bit of clarification.

Memes: Homestarrunner, Dramatic Gopher, Boo Radly (from How to Kill a Mockingbird), Snape (who may or may not be killing Dumbledore)

LOLs: Monorail Cat, O RLY?, Tankcat etc. Pretty much anything you'd find on icanhascheezburger.

Meme does NOT completely mean "internet meme". It more means "popular internet object that is not a person or LOL". Example: Gary Brolsma (numa numa guy) is a human. Not a meme.

You don't have to know what faction something goes into when you post it. If you don't know, I make all judgements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:28 am 

Chichindrich wrote:

Memes: Homestarrunner, Dramatic Gopher, Boo Radly (from How to Kill a Mockingbird), Snape (who may or may not be killing Dumbledore)

LOLs: Monorail Cat, O RLY?, Tankcat etc. Pretty much anything you'd find on icanhascheezburger.

Meme does NOT completely mean "internet meme". It more means "popular internet object that is not a person or LOL". Example: Gary Brolsma (numa numa guy) is a human. Not a meme.

You don't have to know what faction something goes into when you post it. If you don't know, I make all judgements.

Just keep the lolcats out of this and I'll be alright. You people don't even know what it's from! YOU ARE THE PEOPLE WHO SOILED THE SABBATH OF CATURDAY! BURN YOU BLASPHEMERS!

>:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:30 am 

Chichindrich wrote:

These are not LOLs. They have not been for two years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:49 am 

But you agree they were before. It doesn't all need to be new stuff, then we'd have make a whole new set of cards three times a day. Do you have the man labor to do that?!?

I didn't think so!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:51 am 

Ju Ju Master wrote:
man labor
I lol'd so hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:02 am 

Okay, this is not "Internets as accorinding to the HRWF", it's "Internets". And, like it or not, LOL tends to be a pretty big part of the Internet. Also, it's not restricted to new stuff either.

If you have beef with my core ideas in this or just think that this won't work, kindly take it out of this thread. I did not make this to be an argument. PM me if you want. I'm just trying to nip this in the bud before it gets worse.

Toastpaint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:33 am 

Where's all the stuff from the first thread? Doesn't someone have it saved somewhere.

Also, is Homestarrunner.com a meme or a homepage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:53 am 

If it's dot com, then it would be a homepage. A few posts above was just a lack of spacing on my part.

And sadly, I don't have the original thread anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:14 am 

Original stuff is probably somewhere in the depths of my Photobucket. Feel free to root through it to find them. But be warned, because you'll probably see stuff you'll wish you hadn't.

By which I mean, if you're offended by stuff that isn't PG, don't attempt. One does not simply walk into my Photobucket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:04 pm 

Simon Zeno wrote:
Original stuff is probably somewhere in the depths of my Photobucket. Feel free to root through it to find them. But be warned, because you'll probably see stuff you'll wish you hadn't.

Yes, Yes there is

EDIT:

Lol, Rofl, lmao, wow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:37 pm 

Quote:
they may attack with one creature.

Then what's the point of having more the one creature?

Also, change the standard deck rules, if I only want X amount of creatures, let me do that. 70 cards is fine, but limits on the types is dumb, especially if a deck were to revolve around a certain card.

The faction idea is nice, but limit the whole "one faction Funk over another" thing.

The number of duplicates in a deck should be higher, you should have to draw for "tubes" instead of just getting them, you need to decide when a player is allowed to play "hax", get rid of the secondary line entirely unless the rule allows fully summoned creatures only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:55 pm 

extremejon09 wrote:
Simon Zeno wrote:

Yes, Yes there is

Dude that thing was awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:04 pm 

I have some old cards I made from when this was Zeno's idea. I can post 'em if you want, not sure if they'll fit with the new rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:59 pm 

Old cards are fine. As the saying goes,

"I'll MAKE it fit!" :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:32 am 

Location: oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Chichindrich wrote:

Go back to YTMND and learn where stuff originated.

Additionally, "icanhascheezburger" and "LOL" do not mix very well.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]