Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:29 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What's with the DVDs, anyway?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:34 pm 

I can't help but think: why would we need the DVDs if the contents are already on the Internet? I mean, I actually felt tempted to get at least one of the DVDs, but I was dissuaded because of the actual website content. No offense, but what good would the DVDs be when we have at least two-thirds of the stuff already online?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:23 am 

The extra one-third? The lure of seeing Homestar Runner on a decently sized screen? The knowledge that you're supporting the makers of Homestar Runner?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:37 am 

Shwoo wrote:
The extra one-third? The lure of seeing Homestar Runner on a decently sized screen? The knowledge that you're supporting the makers of Homestar Runner?

Well, I would like to support them. It's just that I don't know how. I've never had much experience with online business-doings before. The only things I've gotten that were Homestar related were a coaster with Homestar on the one side and Strong Bad on the other and a T-shirt with Homestar on it and the words H-STAR-R on it.

Post subject: Re: What's with the DVDs, anyway?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:04 am 

CaptainPastHisPrime wrote:
I can't help but think: why would we need the DVDs if the contents are already on the Internet? I mean, I actually felt tempted to get at least one of the DVDs, but I was dissuaded because of the actual website content. No offense, but what good would the DVDs be when we have at least two-thirds of the stuff already online?

I'm a sucker for audio commentaries. That's why I buy 'em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:15 am 

Shwoo wrote:

Well, I would like to support them. It's just that I don't know how. I've never had much experience with online business-doings before. The only things I've gotten that were Homestar related were a coaster with Homestar on the one side and Strong Bad on the other and a T-shirt with Homestar on it and the words H-STAR-R on it.

The reason I don't know how to do business online is because I've never had much experience, not even on Amazon or Ebay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:58 am 

You just need a credit card. I don't have one, but my mum lets me use hers when I buy stuff online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:45 pm 

Shwoo wrote:

Crap, now you made me remember the third thing I lost a while ago and never found! Now I'll be spending my entire day searching for it.

Probably under the desk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:17 am 

They're worth it just for the FBI warnings at the beginning. Seriously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:59 am 

Well, now the main question... well, actually, make that two questions: A) Should I get the DVDs or not? And B ) if I did get them, which ones should I get? I myself am thinking of an Email DVD and an Everything Else DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:58 am 

The first three email DVDs are sold as a set. I think if you buy the first four, you can get the Strong Bad Sings CD free.

My advice: Get the one with the most toons you like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:33 pm 

Shwoo wrote:
The first three email DVDs are sold as a set. I think if you buy the first four, you can get the Strong Bad Sings CD free.

Well, I like the Big Toons and I like the Halloween toons and I especially like the Emails.

Post subject: Re: What's with the DVDs, anyway?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:06 pm 

Duecex2 wrote:

I'm a sucker for audio commentaries. That's why I buy 'em.

I must be very braindead because I can't seem to get the commentaries to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:28 pm 

Shwoo wrote:

Well, I like the Big Toons and I like the Halloween toons and I especially like the Emails.

Simple, then. Just get them all. If you get the Five-Pack Overkill combo, you get $54.00 worth of DVDs for just $45.00 (if you use the October-Only coupon code) PLUS you get the above-mentioned Strong Bad Sings CD free. If you order the Everything Else pack and nothing else, you get $24.00 worth of DVDs for $22.00 - but wait, there's more! You also get ABSOLUTELY FREE a set of Cheat Commandos figurines!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:44 pm 

Stev0 wrote:
Simple, then. Just get them all. If you get the Five-Pack Overkill combo, you get $54.00 worth of DVDs for just $45.00 (if you use the October-Only coupon code) PLUS you get the above-mentioned Strong Bad Sings CD free. If you order the Everything Else pack and nothing else, you get $24.00 worth of DVDs for $22.00 - but wait, there's more! You also get ABSOLUTELY FREE a set of Cheat Commandos figurines!

But if I were to get the email sets AND the Everything Else sets, wouldn't that amount to like... well over $60 or $70 with tax?

Also, I'm grappling with whether or not to actually get the DVDs since a majority of the stuff on them is available online for nothing. Mind you, I know that the DVDs contain bonus stuff unavailable online and audio commentaries and supposedly cleaner audio than what's seen on the website, but still much of the stuff is still available online, hence, why I'm grappling with whether or not.

Of course, having never actually done much business online before by myself, not even on Amazon, this could be an interesting learning experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:44 pm 

let's say your internet goes blank and you have this sudden urge to watch homestarrunner.com, what would you do if you didn't buy the DVD's and you didn't download the 'toons to your iPod/you don't have an iPod? That's why you buy the DVD's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:07 am 

strongfan wrote:
let's say your internet goes blank and you have this sudden urge to watch homestarrunner.com, what would you do if you didn't buy the DVD's and you didn't download the 'toons to your iPod/you don't have an iPod? That's why you buy the DVD's.

I know that only too well, since the wiki portion of the website has been notorious for getting throttled down lately. Plus, you can take the DVDs on long trips. My computer has a built-in DVD player which allows me to do that.

But how can I purchase them? Do I need to send in cash by mail? Or is it something else?

As for the DVDs to get, the Big Toons and H'ween toons are on EE 2 and I'm thinking of the three-disc set containing the first 100 emails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:20 am 

But how can I purchase them? Do I need to send in cash by mail? Or is it something else?

Just GO TO THE H*R STORE and it will be taken care of for you when you try and buy things.

Not hard at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:48 am 

But now, how am I supposed to speak to my parents about this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:58 am 

But now, how am I supposed to speak to my parents about this?

Just go up to them and say, "Mom, Dad, I can't hide this fact from you anymore. I.... I like this website. I mean, really like it. You see, there's this guy who has boxing gloves and a Mexican wrestler's mask..."

Unless you were talking about how to buy them. If you have your own credit card, The H*R Runner Store (powered by Yahoo! stores) gladly takes them. If you don't, ask your parents to buy them.

And I didn't mean to suggest buying both the SBemail set AND the Everything Else set in one fell swoop; I mean buy one OR the other, especially since now's the time to buy. On the other hand, if you DO buy both, you save nine bucks with the October Special, as opposed to just five bucks with the SBemail set and just one measly buck with the Everything Else set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:01 am 

Well, I do have a Wells Fargo card, except I think it's debit. Will they accept that?

Also my parents are not as familiar with it as I am or my sister, who introduced me to this website and she is against me wanting those DVDs since much of the content exists on the Internet for free.

Maybe I will speak with my father, though. You know, privately. I like talking to him privately.

One more thing: after I make a purchase, how long does it take to get to my address?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:28 am 

Depends on where you live. I live in Australia and it usually takes four to five weeks. But the shipping times are given on the official site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:36 am 

Shwoo wrote:
Depends on where you live. I live in Australia and it usually takes four to five weeks. But the shipping times are given on the official site.

I live in California.

So I was looking around for the shipping part and lo and behold, they charge for shipping and handling. And since the order would be about $22.00 for me, that means I'd have to pay an additional $6.00 for shipping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:05 am 

Yeah, they charge for shipping.

And now, a visit to Tangentland. Back in the Dotcom years, many of them decided to get a jump on competitors by offering free shipping. One of them was furniture.com, which only AFTER they went into business found out that UPS doesn't ship furniture. It cost them more to send each piece than they were charging for the piece itself. As far as I know, none of these companies are still in business.

Anyway, getting back to your questions: 1) Yes, you can use a debit card like a credit card. However, even though I've bought countless things online with no fear, I wouldn't want MY debit card number easily accessible by someone else.

2) Everything I've ordered from the H*R Runner store I've always gotten in less than two weeks. Sometimes (but not always) in less than a week (I live in New England, btw).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:29 am 

I'm guessing the store is headquartered in Georgia? That must explain the one to two weeks it took for you to get them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:00 pm 

I got the Everything Else Vol. 1 DVD for Decemberween... I mean, Christmas. But I think that was through Amazon. My father and I are planning to do Netflix and I know for a fact that all the Homestar DVDs are available there. And by "all the Homestar DVDs", I mean just that: ALL of them, including the SBEmail ones. And I'm thinking of using Netflix as an excuse to rent those DVDs. Or should I simply just buy them and forget the whole thing? Be honest with me, please: should I first rent them for a limited period of time or just bite the bullet and buy them for an unlimited amount?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:12 pm 

I see NO reason for renting them. The main advantage of the DVDs is that you are able to watch Homestar whenever you want to, regardless of whether you have an internet connection or whether homestarrunner.com has been blown off the face of the web. If you rent them, you only get them for the amount of time you've rented them, during which you'll probably have web access and we can probably safely assume the website's not going anywhere any time soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:03 pm 

i got a couple of reasons (cracks knuckles)

1. commentary, it's always funny to hear matt and mike whineing about there own glitchs/ mistakes

2. extra material, like extra emails, toons, puppet stuff, kareoke (or however you spell it) and many many more.

3. interactive menus,

4. other stuff where you cant normally add on homestarrunner.com

and others. Oh and btw, if a website cartoon has dvds of itself, its helpful during those looooooooooooooong car rides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:26 pm 

Oh man, "interactive menus" is a pretty embarrassing excuse for a feature when it's on the back of a low-budget movie DVD, and technically, homestarrunner.com itself has interactive menus...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:33 pm 

damik wrote:
Oh man, "interactive menus" is a pretty embarrassing excuse for a feature when it's on the back of a low-budget movie DVD, and technically, homestarrunner.com itself has interactive menus...

Yet the "menus" bit there is something they make fun of. Some of the DVDs themselves also make fun of interactive menus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:34 pm 

damik wrote:

Yet the "menus" bit there is something they make fun of. Some of the DVDs themselves also make fun of interactive menus.
like in everything else vol. 1?

:sb: phew, it was hard holding that pose for so long.
:hr: oh no here it comes again

(pose and freeze)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next