Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:26 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Homestar Runner Complete Series DVD
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:26 pm 

This is a brand-new thread on an idea for a Homestar Runner Complete Series DVD of H*R content that should happen. It actually was originally an idea of Bad Bad Guy's, but no one responded to it, so it was deleted. But now, I brought it back from the dead in a new thread. Here are just a few of the bonus material ideas both Bad Bad Guy and I would like to see (the first half of the list contains things that Bad Bad Guy thought of and the other half involves things I thought of):

• A comical (but true) documentary about Mike and Matt Chapman
  • More unfinished toons and unreleased emails
  • Matt Chapman's award-winning claymation short
  • Progression reels for the following toons:
    • Strongest Man in the World
    • Pumpkin Carve-nival
    • Email #57: "japanese cartoon"
    • Email #58: "dragon"
    • Happy Dethemberween
    • KOT's VOQPCS
  • A toon of "Where My Hat is At?"
  • "The War for the Star", a remake of "Marshmallow's Last Stand"
  • Character videos including a new video for Senor Cardgage
  • The actual Peasant's Quest "movie" (done in DVD style)
  • Another "movie" featuring the Cheat Commandos (also done in DVD style)
  • A documentary on how the Brothers Chaps pick and choose the costumes for the characters to wear in the Halloween cartoons
  • "20X6 vs. 1936, Too", a sequel of sorts to the first "20X6 vs. 1936" toon, this time featuring 1-Up (the 20X6 Homestar) winding up in the Old-Timey world and meeting Old-Timey Strong Bad
  • A more complete version of "Tis True, Pom Pom, Tis True"
  • "Homestarloween Party" updated to feature Homsar (what should he be dressed as, though?)
  • Additional toons revised and updated to include Homsar in them (such as in "The Best Decemberween Ever" and "Ever and More!")
  • An actual episode of "Whaddaya Know, Haddi-Man?"

Those are just a few of the many bonus ideas they could do, but what are some of your ideas?

Post subject: Re: Homestar Runner Complete Series DVD
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:37 pm 

It's not a disc-based bonus feature, but a DVD like this would need a book about the history of Homestar Runner to go with it. Maybe we could also try to come up with gimmicky packaging ideas.
CaptainPastHisPrime wrote:
[*]Additional toons revised and updated to include Homsar in them (such as in "The Best Decemberween Ever" and "Ever and More!")

If we're going to support revisionism, I think there should be an option to replace Strong Sad's second scene in "The Homestar Runner Gets Something Stuck in His Craw" with a scene of Homestar and Pom Pom, who did not appear in the short at all despite the fact its chronological successor, "The Homestar Runner Enters the Strongest Man in the World Contest", calls him Homestar's best friend. It's only an option because I know some viewers (myself included) would still like to hear Strong Bad call Strong Sad, "The Ghost of Christmas Suck".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:48 pm 

Bad Bad Guy wrote:
It's not a disc-based bonus feature, but a DVD like this would need a book about the history of Homestar Runner to go with it. Maybe we could also try to come up with gimmicky packaging ideas.

A book would be great. Maybe even one of those compilation books, like when Dr. Seuss compiled "The Sneetches", "The Zax", "Too Many Daves" and "What Was I Afraid Of" (or whatever that one was) into a compilation book called "The Sneetches and Other Stories".

This book would contain all of the different Homestar stories, including the ones "written" by Strong Bad.

And also, we should include in this gimmicky package deal the two respective freebies that came with the SBEmail and EE DVDs: the SB Sings CD and the Cheat Commandos toys.

Bad Bad Guy wrote:
If we're going to support revisionism, I think there should be an option to replace Strong Sad's second scene in "The Homestar Runner Gets Something Stuck in His Craw" with a scene of Homestar and Pom Pom, who did not appear in the short at all despite the fact its chronological successor, "The Homestar Runner Enters the Strongest Man in the World Contest", calls him Homestar's best friend. It's only an option because I know some viewers (myself included) would still like to hear Strong Bad call Strong Sad, "The Ghost of Christmas Suck".

We could use this scene as an alternate take-type deal. And also, in "Homestarloween Party", as I said, Homsar will be featured (I'm not sure what costume, though; for now, unless anyone can think of anything else, it will be Bilbo Baggins of "The Hobbit" fame). And also, The Cheat's Garfield costume will be more complete, with ears, a mouth-like dealie and a tail.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:07 pm 

And also, we should include in this gimmicky package deal the two respective freebies that came with the SBEmail and EE DVDs: the SB Sings CD and the Cheat Commandos toys.

I meant gimmicky packaging like the I Love Lucy heart-shaped case (technically, it's shaped like a heart on top of a rectangle), the Full House case that's shaped like the Tanners' house, and the Brady Bunch case that's wrapped in faux green fur. I'm currently unable to come up with a gimmicky Homestar case myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:09 pm 

Maybe it could come with a CD or two with every update to the site in order.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:20 pm 

I thought about chronologial order, but then I decided it would be too much of a hassle for people who only feel like watching all the shorts or all the Teen Girl Squad issues and would have to scroll past tens of emails and Puppet Stuff to find what they want.

Oh, and I came up with some crappy gimmicky packaging now. The box would be covered in faux yellow fur with real The Cheat spots, and the discs would be held in a binder shaped like a star.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:18 pm 

I thought one gimmicky cover idea is to design the cover like a computer, either a "regular" one, or maybe the Lappy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:56 pm 

A lappy-looking case for the DVDs would be great, or even a star shaped case, or even a case shaped like Homestar's head, like the Simpsons DVDs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:43 pm 

The most plausible of your suggestions is the Homestar head. A Lappy case would probably contain five pages containing two discs each, making the case too wide to store with the spine facing you and too thin to store with the front facing you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:53 am 

Another thing I thought about was having the MPAA-type green rating screen card at the start of the Peasant's Quest Movie Trailer. You know, the kind that says: "THE FOLLOWING PREVIEW HAS BEEN APPROVED FOR EVERYBODY! EVERYBODY! BY THE MOTION PICTURE GUY OF FREE COUNTRY USA".

And the reason I suggested a Lappy theme for a gimmicky DVD cover is partially based on the gimmicky cover for the just-released DVD series called "The Flintstones: The Complete Series", whose gimmicky cover likely resembles a Stone Age-type TV set that would likely have been featured on the show. I saw that on Amazon and also at a Best Buy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:02 pm 

Continuing the revisionism suggestions, did you get to read my suggestions for new Easter Eggs in "Coach Z's 110%"? I posted them in that toon's forum thread. I also forget if I already shared my idea for a menu theme: Flash-animated Homestar characters interacting with live-action animators in various rooms and sets of Harmless Junk, Inc.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:12 pm 

Bad Bad Guy wrote:
Continuing the revisionism suggestions, did you get to read my suggestions for new Easter Eggs in "Coach Z's 110%"? I posted them in that toon's forum thread. I also forget if I already shared my idea for a menu theme: Flash-animated Homestar characters interacting with live-action animators in various rooms and sets of Harmless Junk, Inc.

I just saw your Easter egg concepts and I thought them interesting. And by "Flash-animated Homestar characters", do you mean like not the characters as seen in SBCG4AP, like how Strong Bad is in the Behind The Bad series?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:53 pm 

Well, the homestarrunner.com series isn't really OVER, so, yeah......if Mike and Matt die, they should have people make a DVD on the complete series.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:00 am 

Mr. Daniel Goss wrote:
Well, the homestarrunner.com series isn't really OVER, so, yeah......if Mike and Matt die, they should have people make a DVD on the complete series.

They should at least make a fourth Everything Else DVD, too, before doing the complete series.

How should we arrange the content anyway?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:08 am 

By "Flash-animated Homestar characters", do you mean like not the characters as seen in SBCG4AP, like how Strong Bad is in the Behind The Bad series?

I just meant that the characters wouldn't be portrayed as puppets or as 3D CGI, the menus would be an actual blend of live-action and 2D animation.
How should we arrange the content anyway?

I was actually just thinking of bunching together the existing strongbad_email.exe and Everything Else DVDs inside some gimmicky packaging with 1 or 2 bonus discs and a history book. Rearranging everything in chronological order would leave one with too much to sit through or bypass if he felt like playing all the Emails or all the Shorts in a row.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:21 am 

Bad Bad Guy wrote:
I was actually just thinking of bunching together the existing strongbad_email.exe and Everything Else DVDs inside some gimmicky packaging with 1 or 2 bonus discs and a history book. Rearranging everything in chronological order would leave one with too much to sit through or bypass if he felt like playing all the Emails or all the Shorts in a row.

Well, I guess so much for adding Homsar to several of the toons.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:23 am 

Can't they fit on the 2nd bonus disc?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:27 am 

Bad Bad Guy wrote:
Can't they fit on the 2nd bonus disc?

I guess they could, except wouldn't two of several toons (one with Homsar and the other without) be a bit redundant?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:11 am 

I only approve of revisionism if the original version is still readily available.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:22 am 

Bad Bad Guy wrote:
I only approve of revisionism if the original version is still readily available.

The original versions of these toons are readily available on the website, and also on the actual DVD.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:24 am 

Including the original and Homsar versions in the same set saves people the trouble of buying two DVD sets.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:36 am 

Bad Bad Guy wrote:
Including the original and Homsar versions in the same set saves people the trouble of buying two DVD sets.

Well, how about we include small snippets of the toons showing Homsar where he would show up in them (in their context). Not the entire toons, but just the scenes where he would/should show up. Maybe we could make into one big feature.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:49 am 

If that's the best compromise, it will have to do. Also, I'm surprised you didn't already propose that "Email Intros, Part Three", "Scroll Button Songs, Part Two", and "Rock Opera! Act Two!" be included here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:36 am 

Bad Bad Guy wrote:
If that's the best compromise, it will have to do. Also, I'm surprised you didn't already propose that "Email Intros, Part Three", "Scroll Button Songs, Part Two", and "Rock Opera! Act Two!" be included here.

The reason I suggested that for a compromise is because you want the original toons to be intact and I don't like having some redundancies here.

As for my proposed bonuses not being included, the ones that we did mention are just a few of the bonuses. That list above is by no means a complete list.

However, I noticed something: all of the SBEmail DVDs' spines have the same color, which is to fit with the bigger box that contained the original three DVDs. How should we handle that part? And also, the "Email Intros, Part Three" should be integrated into the fifth SBEmail DVD. And the second Scroll Buttons Songs bit will be integrated into the sixth SBEmail DVD and cover all the post-"Huzzah on the mic..." scroll tunes (from "S to the C-R-O-double L..." to "You've never seen anything quite like these buttons..."). The Rock Opera will be on the bonus disc. And, oh, yeah, that 160 Seconds bit, also on the fifth emails disc will be upped to 200 Seconds and include the remaining 40 seconds of the last 40 emails.

Anyway, next time, I will explain where Homsar would appear in the context of original toons.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:19 am 

Hey, do you think enough info exists to make a bonus feature about "The Homestar Runner Goes For the Gold?"?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:15 am 

Bad Bad Guy wrote:
Hey, do you think enough info exists to make a bonus feature about "The Homestar Runner Goes For the Gold?"?

Well, considering that we don't know much about it, short of some of the characters to be featured (and even then, there's no guarantee), I could not possibly say. It would be nice if they did something like that, though. Maybe have Strong Bad narrate it like he did "The Homestar Runner Gets Something Stuck In His Craw".

Another thing that they could do is have a bonus on "The Strong Sad Wets Yonder Bed", also narrated by Strong Bad. At the end, Homestar would be greatly amused and Strong Sad would be quite enraged with Strong Bad.

Anyway, as I said, next time, I'll mention some of the appearances by Homsar in contexts of cartoons where he might appear. But first, a question: what should he be dressed as in "Homestarloween Party"? Right now, I'm kind of torn between either Goofy (of Disney fame, of course) or Bilbo Baggins from "The Hobbit" (in this case, he would resemble the character as seen in that TV movie made by Rankin-Bass in the late 1970s). So what do you think Homsar should be dressed as in "Homestarloween Party"? Keep in mind that he will look like how he does in the HOMSAR email (his underbite and legs sticking out more).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:29 pm 

I think he should be Bilbo Baggins, because Goofy is too well-known.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:35 pm 

Bad Bad Guy wrote:
I think he should be Bilbo Baggins, because Goofy is too well-known.

Well, to be fair, a lot of the costumes featured are well-known (at least, I think they are).

Anyway, here are some of the toons in which Homsar should appear, with the contexts mentioned beside the toon titles:

• Marshmallow's Last Stand: Homsar is spotted in the crowd of spectators
  • Homestarloween Party: The scene with the Poopsmith bobbing for pumpkins when Homestar approaches and near the end when everyone leaves; Homsar is dressed Bilbo Baggins
  • A Holiday Greeting: The whole gang scene at the end, in front of Bubs
  • The Luau: Most scenes of Strong Bad's marshmallow roast and as everyone roasts their marshmallows over the burning tofu
  • The Best Decemberween Ever: The "O Decemberween" song, in front of Pom Pom
  • Email #61: MONSTER TRUCK: An alternate scene of Strong Mad smashing Marzipan's guitar over both Homestar and Homsar's heads. Homsar says (after Homestar says his "Brutus" line), "AaAaAa, I'm the lucky number 13!"
  • Email #83: LABOR DAY: In addition to obviously having Homsar's being at the Labor Day BBQ with the rest of the gang, there is an extra scene occurring between Strong Bad seeing Coach Z and the King of Town (Strong Bad (as Homsar shuffles by): "Hey, why can't I ever understand you? Can't you make sense?" Homsar: "AaAaAa, right on! I think I can three times!")
  • TrogdorCon '97: After the Poopsmith as the Sleestak walks by in the foreground, Homsar (again dressed as Bilbo Baggins from "Homestarloween Party", but is this time in his more modern style) passes by from the right and shuffles by SB and The Cheat's booth and exits on the left
  • Email #136: GEDDUP NOISE: In both the actual toon and the Easter egg, Homsar is at Club Technochocolate doing his "I'm just me" dance from RECORD BOOK
  • Email #145: MYTHS & LEGENDS: After Strong Sad's scene and SB saying, "...said the elephant-footed ghost man," there is an extra scene of Homsar backed by a message reading, "Another skeptic(?)" (with hot dogs in the background) as he says, "AaAaAa, it looks like a Shawshank style!" to which Strong Bad replies, "...said the blue midget Homestar."
  • EMAIL #151: SENIOR PROM: Homsar is shown near Strong Sad and Coach Z and is wearing a tux and a black topper, as well as featured during the rapid-fire scene of everyone's pants areas (Homsar is between Strong Sad and the Poopsmith)
  • Ever and More!: Homsar is one of the members of the Broternal Order of Different Helmets. His "helmet" is an overturned flower pot. He is first seen singing the "frothy, shanty chant" with everyone else between SB and Coach Z, albeit not really singing, but just speaking and doing it out of sync with everyone else
  • Happy Dethemberween: Homsar is seen in most crowd scenes, such as around the basement couch and at the end, around the stone wall)
  • Play Date: After Homestar crosses off The Cheat off his phone list, he then calls up Homsar and says, "Hello, obscure main guy!", to which Homsar (on the phone) replies, "AaAaAa, I've got patches and am out till last Monday." Homestar says, "I don't even want to know..." and then hangs up and crosses Homsar off his list.
  • Email 200: EMAIL THUNDER: Homsar is one of the people (albeit in the foreground with his back to the viewer) attending Strong Bad's 200th email check at the beginning

The scenes mentioned in all the parentheseses are shown in a single feature, as these scenes are the only ones shown. What do you think? By the way, Homsar in the first four toons mentioned above will be in the slightly older style of the HOMSAR email in which he originated (with the shorter underbite, the longer and more slanted legs and, in some cases, the bigger bowler hat).

What do you think of my ideas here?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:58 pm 

Well, it's not too drastic an alteration if Homsar's just going to stand there. I would say it wouldn't be too bad to make your versions completely replace the originals, but I'm not aware of any Complete Series DVDs where the episodes themselves differ from the episodes included on individual releases. Apparently the pilot and first season of I Love Lucy have better picture quality on the Complete Series DVD than on the Complete First Season DVD. Yeah, having the Homsar versions replace the originals like Theme Song Video would save time trying to create context in a featurette.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:55 am 

Bad Bad Guy wrote:
Well, it's not too drastic an alteration if Homsar's just going to stand there. I would say it wouldn't be too bad to make your versions completely replace the originals,but I'm not aware of any Complete Series DVDs where the episodes themselves differ from the episodes included on individual releases. Apparently the pilot and first season of I Love Lucy have better picture quality on the Complete Series DVD than on the Complete First Season DVD. Yeah, having the Homsar versions replace the originals like Theme Song Video would save time trying to create context in a featurette.

Yeah, that was kinda my plan the whole time. But I went with a featurette to keep them from being altered. So now we can go back to my original plan, which was to have some minor differences in the originals.

And oh, yeah, I have a few other ideas, too (here again, it's hopeful that they're so minor that it will not be too much of a hassle):

• Homestarloween Party: The Cheat's Garfield costume is more complete. Rather than just have the eyes, nose and teddy bear for the costume, his costume will now also feature ears, the mouth deal and a tail
  • The House That Gave Sucky Treats: Homsar's scene is now automatically enabled so that you'll get his scene no matter which treat you give Pom Pom and the Poopsmith (however, you no longer can give them the pumpkin). Also, near the end, after Marzipan says "No" to Strong Sad's question, the rest of the characters respond before Strong Sad replies: Pom Pom bubbles, the Poopsmith holds up a sign reading "No" and Homsar says, "NoOoO!".
  • The Interview: All of the characters will be in the newer style rather than the older style.
  • Email 55: CHEAT TALK: I'm told that, on the actual DVD release, The Cheat's first "Meh!" was accidentally omitted. That will be restored.
  • Ballad of The Sneak: There will be a short appearance by a new Old-Timey character called The Homsar (Homsar's Old-Timey counterpoint).
  • 3 Times Halloween Funjob: Again, Stinkoman's scene is automatically enabled so that you'll get his scene regardless of what treat you give Bubs and Coach Z (though, the pumpkin bucket is no longer clickable). Also, Homsar will appear with the rest of the characters, both during the revival of Credenza (he is spotted in front of Coach Z and between Marzipan and Homestar) and joining in, and at the very end, like always where they gather in their costumes (in this case, Homsar will be directly behind Strong Bad and to Coach Z's right (the viewer's left), in the big gap seen normally). And oh, yeah, if you give him the Jujyfruits as his treat, Coach Z will again say (at the end), "George Foreman?" (which has been omitted on the DVD release).
  • Halloween Fairstival: The King of Town's line on "a wicked mashed potato jones" was removed on the actual DVD release, but is restored here.
  • Happy Hallow-day: Once more, Homsar will join the gang near the end, first in the shouting of "Happy Halloween" and then that of "Happy Day of the Dead". Also there will be a few more nuggets of dialog on what the characters are wearing, specifically for Bubs, Coach Z and The King of Town (each put in between the characters who do have dialogs):
    • BUBS: (between Strong Bad and Marzipan's parts) Strong Bad asks Bubs (dressed as Coach McGuirk from "Home Movies") what is up with his weird 2D coach guy outfit, to which Bubs replies that he is filling in for Coach Z for a while, since he doesn't think that he is much of a real coach (Coach Z takes offense to this).
    • COACH Z: (between Marzipan and Strong Sad's parts) Homestar remarks to Coach Z that he thought that only Strong Bad and Marzipan were allowed to cross-dress. Coach Z says, "Not anymore, Ramrod!" Strong Bad says, "Here we go again!"
    • THE KING OF TOWN: (between Strong Sad and The Cheat's parts) Strong Bad says to the king that he likes his nautical weatherman outfit (when he is really dressed as the Gorton's Fisherman) and sarcastically asks what the weather forecast today: "Total crap, or something?" Strong Bad then laughs as the king replies, "I'm just gonna pretend I didn't that, amateur!"
  • Email 163: WHAT I WANT: Strong Bad does fully read where the email came from, pronouncing "Des Moines, IA" as "Dessmoinessia", just like when he is ragging on the email sender's name and location in the actual email.

So what do you think?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next