Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Pikmin Series Discussion
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:14 pm 

I just got Pikmin 1 and its really fun. So here we can just discuss the whole series. Anything about Pikmin just talk about it here.

Post subject: Re: Pikmin Series Discussion
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:35 pm 

They melt my heart.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:00 pm 

I loved Pikmin 1, and I've been trying to get 2 on eBay for the last few days, but I keep getting outbid because I don't want to spend more than thirty bucks.

It's supposed to be way better than the first one, though, and if it is, that's a good thing since I really liked the first one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:34 pm 

Yeah, I'd say that it's better than the first one, but it really is going for high prices nowadays for some reason. Thankfully, I bought my copy awhile ago for about $16 via Blockbuster.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:57 pm 

Pikmin is awesome. I only have 2 and Never beat it. But man is it fun. Olimar is awesome in brawl too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:53 pm 

I haven't played either Pikmin game, but I've heard good things.

I've heard Pikmin 2 was better, but I've also heard it called "Pikmin Easy Mode".

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:11 am 

PIKMIN? ON MINI-BIKES? Madness.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:24 am 

I don't like Pikmin 2 as much as the first

90% of the gameplay takes place in the underground areas. Which are pretty much boring, repetitive, and uncreative.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:01 am 

Pikmin is pretty much one of my favorite series ever. I rented Pikmin 2, beat it within the week (not that its short or anything, just played the heck out of it) and then later borrowed the first Pikmin. Then when Olimar was revealed on the dojo website I got all into the series again and did myself a huge service in actually buying Pikmin 2 off eBay. ($30, sorry Jitka)

Both are great games and unique as far as Nintendo's flagship series go, though it may not be for everybody... In my opinion Pikmin 2 is much better than the first, though both are great, but the second is longer and has much more replay value. If you want my advice, I'd say rent Pikmin to see if you like the formula (you can easily beat it in a week) and if you enjoyed it buy Pikmin 2.

No idea where you heard Pikmin 2 is some sort of "easy mode" Acekirby, it's much more challenging, expecially when you get to the later levels and dungeons. It basically takes the time-based exploration formula from the first game, and then on top of that adds areas that take away the clock but limit your number of pikmin, so its much more combat based where you try defeating enemies and puzzles without taking high losses. Even without the 30-day time limit, the urgency to work quickly is still there (thanks to letters from home) and it's a much harder game later on.

Pikmin can be beaten in about 8 hours... Pikmin 2 will take you at least 20 to get all the treasures (repaying the debt is really just half the game). Plus Pikmin 2 has both competitive and cooperative multiplayer that are really great if you have a competent friend, so there's a lot of replay value there as well.

TL;DR: Great series, rent the first, if you like it buy the second.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:07 am 

I've had the first for years, but I want the second. Currently I have the high bid of $20 for an auction ending tomorrow, but no way will it stay so low.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:17 am 

I played both of them, and I love both of them. Pikmin has potential to be "up there" with other successful games series, like Kirby. I'm hoping for a third game to come out. I want to march my army of carrots for a third time!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:30 am 

I heart Pikmin! I rented the first one from Blockbuster (you guys ever been to that museum?) years ago (...of course it was) and really loved it, but I didn't enjoy the limitations like how you only had as many days as Jitka is willing to spend for the sequel. I bought the second one then, and I have no idea how long I've had it, but it's even better than the first. Advebture mode rocks, battle mode is insane and will give anyone a cherry obsession (those who've played it know exactly what I mean), and challenge mode...never tried it, actually. Anyway, I haven't played the game in ages, and I've kind of been itching for an RTS, so I've been wanting to restart Pikmin 2, but the thing is, I have...6 awesome Wii games I've never finished, as well as Metroid Prime 1 & 2, which I finally got yesterday, and I don't get to play Wii much anyway, so obviously it's been tough to get back to Pikmin.

Who else agrees they should totally make a Pikmin for Wii and/or DS? I'm just imagining actually flicking Pikmin around. Only problems are 1) How would you swarm the Pikmin in either one without a C-stick? and 2) The graphics won't be as good on DS, and beautiful environments are a big part of what makes Pikmin so great.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:34 am 

Jimmie wrote:
I'm just imagining actually flicking Pikmin around.

Your hand would be fatiuged in seconds of gameplay

Quote:
Only problems are 1) How would you swarm the Pikmin in either one without a C-stick?

Touch Screen or Wii pointer

Quote:
2) The graphics won't be as good on DS, and beautiful environments are a big part of what makes Pikmin so great.
[/quote]

2D graphics

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:39 am 

Jimmie wrote:
Who else agrees they should totally make a Pikmin for Wii and/or DS? I'm just imagining actually flicking Pikmin around. Only problems are 1) How would you swarm the Pikmin in either one without a C-stick? and 2) The graphics won't be as good on DS, and beautiful environments are a big part of what makes Pikmin so great.

Miyamoto, the Pikmin series' creator: "I certainly don't think we've seen the last of Pikmin ... I definitely would like to do something with them, and I think the Wii interface in particular is very well suited to that franchise." And in a recent interview he singled out Pikmin 3 as something he wants to do now that he's done with Wii Fit. So it's definitely coming eventually, so here's hoping something gets revealed at E3.

Also if you want something to start with Jimmie without devoting tons of time into single player, go ahead and get a Pikmin-playing friend and do challenge mode co-op. Solo it isn't anything to write home about, but being able to work together with a friend to beat the clock is pretty great. Though aiming for the "Perfect" no-pikmin-death ranking on all of them will be a quick way to strain a friendship. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:50 am 

extremejon09 wrote:
Jimmie wrote:
I'm just imagining actually flicking Pikmin around.

Your hand would be fatiuged in seconds of gameplay
Not really. You could just make small motions with your wrist for the Wii one (maybe you would choose a spot with the reticule, lock on by holding a button, then start flinging Pikmin...it could improve your accuracy by not having the reticule move when you do, like in MP3:C), and then on the DS you could make tiny flicks from your leader in the direction you want to toss the Pikmin, then they go flying, or it maybe could lock on too.

Quote:
Only problems are 1) How would you swarm the Pikmin in either one without a C-stick?

Touch Screen or Wii pointer[/quote]
But would those work better for controlling the reticule?
Quote:
2) The graphics won't be as good on DS, and beautiful environments are a big part of what makes Pikmin so great.
[/quote]

2D graphics[/quote]

Heh, that would be interesting to see.

And Josh...That sounds great and all, but it's that versus Brawl, GH3, Galaxy, Prime 3, Fire Emblem, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 1 (I'm gonna move on to Echoes when I'm finished, then restart Prime 3), and a lot of unfinished Virtual Console games, all competing for my attention, and my mom has the Wiimote so I have to ask permission to play. See how that might be hard?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:55 am 

I've played pikmin 2, I love it! I havn't played Pikmin 1 yet (cause once we got it we got Brawl too, so I've been playing that, and I main as Olimar! w00t!) Pikmin 3 PLEASE that would be soooooo cool!!! Hoping for something in E3.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:03 am 

lern2 quote tag

Jimmie wrote:
Not really. You could just make small motions with your wrist for the Wii one

No matter how small the motions are, it would be tiring. Imagine waggling 10 times to kill a small enemy. Now imagine doing it 50 times. It would simply be a bad design choice to make throwing Pikmin be controlling by waggling.

Quote:
But would those work better for controlling the reticule?

What.

You Control Pikmin with Pointer/touch screen and move with control stick/control pad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:05 am 

What if it used the classic controller? Then there would be two analog sticks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:10 am 

extremejon09 wrote:
lern2 quote tag

Jimmie wrote:
Not really. You could just make small motions with your wrist for the Wii one

No matter how small the motions are, it would be tiring. Imagine waggling 10 times to kill a small enemy. Now imagine doing it 50 times. It would simply be a bad design choice to make throwing Pikmin be controlling by waggling.

Extremejon speaks the truth. That is a terrible idea. Sometimes you gotta throw fifty or more of those guys at a time, expecially when attacking airborne enemies. Plus it'd make it really hard to aim. Button press please!

I could definitely see the Wiimote/Nunchuk set-up working. For ordering, instead of using the c-stick, maybe you could hold down a button (like B ) and then the cursor would be an ordering pointer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:16 am 

Aussieguy wrote:
What if it used the classic controller? Then there would be two analog sticks.

Making you buy a specific controller for a game is a bad idea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:17 am 

You could use the GameCube controller, because come on, who has a Wii that didn't have a Gamecube?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:18 am 

90% of Nintendo's new audience

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:21 am 

extremejon09 wrote:

Think so? Well, Gamecube controllers can't be going for too much nowadays, right?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:29 am 

Jitka wrote:
extremejon09 wrote:

Think so? Well, Gamecube controllers can't be going for too much nowadays, right?

They're pretty hard to come by because they aren't sold in most stores anymore, you have to go online. I think Nintendo's official store has some maybe, but that's a bit inconvenient.

I would not be surprised if it supported Classic and GameCube control schemes (like Smash Bros and Mario Kart), but for the Wii a Wiimote/Nunchuk scheme is pretty nessecary for the target audience of people who own Wiis.

If there's one thing I want in Pikmin 3 it's co-op main campaign. I got two captains, give me this please.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:11 pm 

Some stuff about Pikmin 3 on Pikipedia

Some of it may or may not be true.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:10 am 

I Choose You Cheatachu wrote:
Some stuff about Pikmin 3 on Pikipedia

Some of it may or may not be true.

It doesn't have any facts at all other than it's been announced.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:26 am 

This was my experience with Pikmin. My mom bought it for me along with my gamecube in december 2001. I played it, kind of thought it was cool, and then the end of the day came and all my pikmin went in to that gay little whatever it was. Then the next morning, I come to take my Pikmin out. I couldn't figure out how to do it, I was 8 and I sucked at video games. So I never played it again.

I hate that game.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:29 am 

Duecex2 wrote:
This was my experience with Pikmin. My mom bought it for me along with my gamecube in december 2001. I played it, kind of thought it was cool, and then the end of the day came and all my pikmin went in to that gay little whatever it was. Then the next morning, I come to take my Pikmin out. I couldn't figure out how to do it, I was 8 and I sucked at video games. So I never played it again.

I hate that game.

You stand under it and press 'A'.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:30 am 

*sniff* shut up

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:40 am 

Pikmin really isn't a game for someone without enough attention span to read onscreen instructions before quickly skipping through it. ;)

My younger siblings have a little 9-year-old friend who ran into the same problem. That and he likes killing pikmin for fun.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next