Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Mario Kart...Wii!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:46 am 

Just picked up Mario Kart Wii. It'll take a while for me to relearn the game since it plays so differently from Double Dash. Loving the fact that you can pick any 4 races in VS to make a Grand Prix.

Post subject: Re: Wii!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:51 am 

Woah, really? I haven't played vs. yet, but that's awesome. That's one thing I loved about the first Mario party, you could do sets of games.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:35 am 

Can you say course counter picking? LOL TOURNEY F**

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:32 am 

Ju Ju Master wrote:
Woah, really? I haven't played vs. yet, but that's awesome. That's one thing I loved about the first Mario party, you could do sets of games.

VS. is really fun. It makes for some interesting races when you pick the four hardest courses.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:36 am 

oh god can I make an All-Yoshi Grand Prix?

Also, Mario Kart Wii (as well as every other Wii game) should start to move on out to it's own thread in Media. This topic should just be like...about the system, updates and channels, etc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:11 pm 

Location: living in the sunling, loving in the moonlight, having a wonderful time.
Dark Grapefruit wrote:
Just picked up Mario Kart Wii. It'll take a while for me to relearn the game since it plays so differently from Double Dash. Loving the fact that you can pick any 4 races in VS to make a Grand Prix.

Wow, uh, same exact thing here =0

I'm so much more excited now, because I figured out that Manuel > Automatic. I'd only played it twice, and I'd just used Automatic, because I always do that if given the option. Now I tried it, and wow, that is SO much better. It's not the same as Mario Kart 64, but it's dang close. Blue sparks for the win. Also, I think that I've already settled into Bowser + standard bike for my normal driving settup. Aw yeah.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:35 pm 

Ugh, I can't stand manual. The turning is just so weird. Sure, the boosts are nice, but it's impossible to make good turns. I find I do better with automatic.

And yes, I'm gonna split this into a new thread.

Post subject: Re: Mario Kart...Wii!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:55 pm 

Capt. Ido Nos wrote:
Also, I think that I've already settled into Bowser + standard bike for my normal driving settup. Aw yeah.

Ugh, Bowser? Really? A heavyweight?

To each his own, I guess, but I don't see why anyone would pick a heavyweight. Sure the top speed is great, but it takes so long to get there. And since MK seems to be getting more and more item happy, heavyweights are going to stop more and more frequently.

Yoshi's always the most perfect one for me. Quick enough to be a lightweight but heavy enough to be a middleweight.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:57 pm 

Yoshi's my favorite too. I use the Sneakster with Manual, though I find the Mach Bike with Automatic handles extremely well. Also many of the people I know prefer using a Gamecube controller, but I actually like the wheel. Is this the case with anyone else?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:03 pm 

Ju Ju Master wrote:
Ugh, I can't stand manual. The turning is just so weird. Sure, the boosts are nice, but it's impossible to make good turns. I find I do better with automatic.

What do you mean? All you have to do is hit the drift button and hold as you hit the direction you want to drift.

As for character I favour Toad or King Boo. Heavy weights can be much more effective if you stay around the middle of the pack until the very end of the race. Its all about knowing how to use them.

Also, we should totally have a massive mario kart session some time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:04 pm 

This discussion reminds me that I still have to get MK Wii.

BTW I'm assuming it doesn't anymore, but is there still the whole system of drifting where you hop and turn?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:06 pm 

According to Nintendo Power, yes, but there isn't hopping. You just have to hold it long enough.

Which reminds me I still have yet to get it as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:07 pm 

SnowyFox wrote:
Also many of the people I know prefer using a Gamecube controller, but I actually like the wheel. Is this the case with anyone else?
Real men use the Wii Wheel.

But I use it too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:11 pm 

Askingforachallenge wrote:
According to Nintendo Power, yes, but there isn't hopping. You just have to hold it long enough.

Which reminds me I still have yet to get it as well.

Well, you hop to start it. It's like the N64 drifting

Quote:
What do you mean? All you have to do is hit the drift button and hold as you hit the direction you want to drift.

But it's such an obscure turn, no matter which way you do it. Sometimes it works, but half the time I hit a wall 'cause what I wanted to be a sharp turn was practically straight.

And I main Yoshi - Standard Bike, too (though all the characters in each weight class are the same, anyways, so I don't necessarily have to be Yoshi). Except in time trials, then I'm King Boo - Shooting Star. I was gonna main DK for time trials, but god I can't stand his voice now. All three of the DK characters have horrible voice acting.

And the Mii, too. He sounds like a squeaky old man pretending to be a baby. "yyaaaAAAYyyy...!"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:14 pm 

Acekirby wrote:

BTW I'm assuming it doesn't anymore, but is there still the whole system of drifting where you hop and turn?

Do you mean snaking? Its different then before but still possible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfUJSHCCgl8

@Ju Ju: I find its harder to do when using the wheel as it doesnt respond as well, use the Gamecube pad or wiimote +nunchuck to make it easier.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:14 pm 

Location: All the way on the other side of the internet. Really.
Manual drifting with Gamecube Controller - :mrgreen:
Manual drifting with Wii Wheel - :-|

It just doesn't work for me.

I FINALLY unlocked Mirror Mode today. My best combo seems to be Luigi and Classic Dragster. I don't know why...it just works for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:16 pm 

Susan wrote:
Acekirby wrote:

Do you mean snaking? Its different then before but still possible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfUJSHCCgl8

Well I meant that if you want to drift while going into a turn, you press L or R to hop, then slide into the turn and drift that way.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:18 pm 

Quote:
@Ju Ju: I find its harder to do when using the wheel as it doesnt respond as well, use the Gamecube pad or wiimote +nunchuck to make it easier.

Hm, okay, I'll try that. i';ve only used the wii wheel so far, so that's all I know.

I nkinda don't want to lose my 100% wheel usage, though... :P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:19 pm 

You do technically hop but just for show this time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:20 pm 

Susan wrote:
Also, we should totally have a massive mario kart session some time.

Yes.

I was hanging out around 5600 rating in online races until I switched from standard kart to the mach bike (both with Yoshi). Took a while getting used to but the first time I used it I immediately knew if I could just get the hang of it I'd be a lot better. Now up around 6400 most of the time.

I'm probably the only person in existence to use the classic controller... or even own one anymore? Heard bad things about the wheel, so I never even took it out of the box.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:23 pm 

I own a classic controller... I like it. I have, what, 13 VC games? I also have a blue gel-like cover for it.
I may just have to use it when I get it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:26 pm 

Inverse Tiger wrote:
Heard bad things about the wheel, so I never even took it out of the box.

It's really not that bad, and it's pretty fun, too.

Though you don't actually need the wheel to play like the wheel. just hold the wiimote horizontal and rotate it. It works the same as the wheel, just a couple of the buttons are harder to get to (but ones I never use)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:39 pm 

Askingforachallenge wrote:
I own a classic controller... I like it. I have, what, 13 VC games? I also have a blue gel-like cover for it.
I may just have to use it when I get it.

Oh yeah, forgot about the VC.

So anyway, about that hueg game we're gonna play...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:50 pm 

Should be tonight some time, or tommorow as we need time for everyone to add everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:58 pm 

Yeah. Now thru tonight's best for me, but whatever works out for the most people. My number's 2406-5711-9974.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:31 pm 

My favourite controller is the Wiimote + Nunchuck. I find that doing tricks by shaking is a lot easier than taking my thumb off the stick for a second to press the D-pad. That, I find, is an example of a good use of the Wii's shake 'em up ability. Activating an optional command without having to press a button.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:05 pm 

If you guys add your friend codes to the gamertag thread, I'll update the list and we can all do a game tonight or tomorrow.

Quote:
My favourite controller is the Wiimote + Nunchuck. I find that doing tricks by shaking is a lot easier than taking my thumb off the stick for a second to press the D-pad. That, I find, is an example of a good use of the Wii's shake 'em up ability. Activating an optional command without having to press a button.

Anything's better than tricks with the Wii wheel. I've gotten good enough at them that it's not too much of a problem, but about 1/4 of the time when I shake the wheel to do a trick, it thinks I'm turning, so I end up doing a trick in the wrong direction. Usually into a pit of lava or something.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:57 pm 

Oh wow, yeah, that's not a very good system. The chuck sounds like it might be the best for tricks, tho. I agree that having to press up for tricks is pretty lame. It'd be better if it was down, since at least that's right next to where your thumb is anyway. *runs over and looks at a gamecube controller* Well I'll be, that's probably what they had in mind. They could've at least made the game detect a classic controller and change the trick button to d-pad down instead of up... Maybe it's time to switch over.

And I will take this opportunity to voice frustration at the many times I've been in the lead online for most of the race, only to get totally trashed right before the finish line by everyone and then come in almost last. Is there any way to avoid that, or should I just suck it up?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:37 pm 

My code: 3566 1939 1112.
Inverse Tiger wrote:
Is there any way to avoid that, or should I just suck it up?
For some reason that has never really bothered me. A lot of the time I can make up the gap before the finish line. Rarely do I get wiped out just before the end.

I remember back when I used to play this I was hovering around 7000, but then I went back to Mario Kart Wii I lost a couple times and now I'm around 6500. I use Diddy Kong on the Mach Bike and I play with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk. Oh, and I hate manual.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:05 pm 

Inverse Tiger wrote:
Is there any way to avoid that, or should I just suck it up?

If you're near the end and see a purple shell coming towards you, slow down and let the 2nd placer pass you. Doesn't always work as planned (I've only tried it once and I failed) but I've seen people do it, it can be useful.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next