Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Some iTunes questions...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:23 am 

Buenos tardes!

Ever since I got a laptop for Christmas, I have been longing to get my 1,208 songs from my iTunes library on my old computer to the iTunes library on my new laptop. Originally, it seemed simple via Apple's documentation on the subject because I could simply send the library data through my iPod and place it into my laptop. However, Apple continued its downhill slide in my mind and disabled the ability to "enable disk use" via the iPod Touch model.

I know you can transfer purchases on your iPod into the iTunes library, but that only accounts for about 300 of my songs, and I know I could simply re-import the CDs I've imported into iTunes, but I borrowed them from my dad who lives in a different house. I also know that I could use an iPod Touch import device such as TouchCopy or CopyTrans Suite, but I'm not intent on spending $20 to fully import my music list to my laptop.

My brother mentioned to me a few weeks ago that I could share the old iTunes folder over my wireless internet connection and import it into my laptop. While this seemed to work at first, when we got a new router about a day later, the sharing functionality no longer worked (I'm thinking because our wireless network name switched to "dlink" from "SMC", though I'm not entirely sure). By the way, my desktop computer containing the music is running Windows XP, and my laptop is running Vista.

So, any suggestions and/or solutions to this issue? Any ideas on how to walk me (who is naive on this subject) through getting the wireless networking to share the folder properly once again? Any free programs to import all of my iPod Touch music to my laptop? Are there any jailbreaking apps that allow me to enable disk use on the iPod? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and be sure to tell me if you need any more information.

EDIT: I also lack DVDs to burn, and my portable memory storage options are a 1 GB SD Card (which seems to have a slow write memory due to only being able to record about two minutes of video before tripping over itself) and a 256 MB USB drive.

Post subject: Re: Some iTunes questions...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:59 am 

DS_Kid wrote:
Buenos tardes!

Lo siento, pero "tarde" es femenino. ;)

(Sorry, dunno the answer to your actual question...)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:03 am 

There's that early Spanish 1 knowledge resurfacing... :P

Mike gave me a suggestion over AIM earlier today, so I'll try it out in the future. However, please feel free to give me any suggestions while I'm trying his idea out. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:04 am 

An iPod Touch 'ey? Well, I know for the normal iPods you can use software like...

http://www.yamipod.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:01 pm 

Yeah, but the only problem with many of those programs (including YamiPod) is that they do not function properly with iPod Touches and iPhones.

Also, welcome back.

EDIT: Okay, Mike's suggestion seems to be working so far (the songs are still downloading to my laptop), so I'll post what I believe is the mostly-correct way to get this work for Windows:
  1. Jailbreak the iPod Touch/iPhone.
  2. Follow the instructions in this video by iPodTouchMaster to access the directory of your iPod Touch/iPhone.
  3. I believe that your iPod Touch/iPhone has to be connected to your computer at this point; go to the directory "/private/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/Music" (it may be different for you all, yet it should be similar)
  4. Once there, you'll see folders ranging from F00 to F13 (or more or less; I have no clue)
  5. Take these folders, and drag them to your iTunes music folder. All of the music files inside appear as four-character names, but when viewed in media players such as Quicktime and iTunes, they'll revert to their information present on the iPod Touch/iPhone.
  6. Wait forever; make sure that your iPod/computer stays connected and not asleep during this whole process.
  7. For easier access for the music in iTunes, just go under Preferences and select the "Advanced" tab. Then, make sure that the "Keep the iTunes music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes music folder" boxes are checked.
This process seems to be working so far for me, though I'll post if anything changes. Until then, if any of you know of any other methods for this process, feel free to post them here.