Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dell Inspiron 2200 Memory Upgrade
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:30 pm 
Pizza Pizza

I'm wanting to throw some more RAM into my lappy, but I have a problem.

I have 768 Megs of RAM, with a 512 stick and a 256 stick, These were factory installed.

My problem is this: I want to replace one with a 1 gig stick, but the easily accessible memory slot (the one on the bottom that you get to by taking off one screw) is the one with the 512 stick. What I want to do is replace the 256 stick with the 1 gig stick (since that would add 768 more megs of RAM, compared to replacing the 512 stick with a 1 gig, which would only give me 512 more megs).

My question is this: Where the crap is that 256 stick and how do I get to it/remove it without using a chainsaw.

I know how to open up the lappy (I've done this before to replace a fan and to install a new processor), but I do not know where the 256 megs of Ram are located. Google searches have been less than helpful as they're all showing me where that "easy" slot is on the bottom of the machine.

Also, I'm pretty sure I can remove it, as the book says my lappy will support 2 gigs.

Post subject: Re: Dell Inspiron 2200 Memory Upgrade
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:46 pm 

A housemate of mine has an HP with the same kind of deal. We couldn't figure out how to get to the other one at all. Only option seemed to be to take it down to a store, even though that's heinous and wrong.

Post subject: Re: Dell Inspiron 2200 Memory Upgrade
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:01 pm 
Pizza Pizza

Inverse Tiger wrote:
A housemate of mine has an HP with the same kind of deal. We couldn't figure out how to get to the other one at all. Only option seemed to be to take it down to a store, even though that's heinous and wrong.

NEIN!
No store!
That's how they get ya.

"This isn't an overpriced module you've bought from us!!! It won't work with your computer!"

There are still some screws I haven't undone on this thing yet.
Maybe (although I hope you don't need to) you have to take the whole thing apart.
I think it's under the touchpad thing or the wristrest.
Watch it be in some really dumb place, like behind the monitor or something.

EDIT: Nevermind... Wrong book.
The service manual says 1280 is the max ram I can have.
The 256 is "integrated" and removing it appears to be MAXIMUM trouble, as you have to pretty much return the thing to a pile of parts to get to it and I think there's some soldier you have to remove, too.

Boo-urns, Dell. Boo-urns.

The owners manual was a generic "Inspiron" one, and I'm guessing there is a model that supports 2 gigs, just not mine.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]