Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wiki Sig help?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:56 pm 

Hey, trying to get this as my siggy on the wiki, but it says "Invaild HTML code".

<FONT style='background-color: black; border-color: gray; border-style: dashed'><FONT color='#222222'>E<FONT color='#444444'>M<FONT color='#666666'>O<FONT color='#888888'>B<FONT color='#666666'>U<FONT color='#444444'>B</FONT>S</FONT></FONT></FONT></FONT></FONT></FONT>

All helps is welcome :bubs: so is your buisness

Post subject: Re: Wiki Sig help?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:49 pm 

Well, I never knew there was a thing that checks to see if your code is valid, so I don't know what it does, but there are a couple things you could do to make it better:
  • First, double quotes ("color") are probably more valid than single quotes ('color').
  • We try to use <span> tags and the style property on the wiki rather than <font>. It should do the same thing.
  • Try to close one tag when you don't need it anymore before you start another one.
So I'd try something more like:
<span style="background-color: black; border-color: gray; border-style: dashed;"><span style="color: #222222;">E</span><span style="color: #444444;">M</span><span style="color: #666666;">O</span><span style="color: #888888;">B</span><span style="color: #666666;">U</span><span style="color: #444444;">B</span><span style="color: #222222;">S</span></span>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:07 pm 

I think the problem is that it's too long, and get's clipped, thus the HTML is missing all the close tags.

Thanks anyway though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:18 pm 

<SPAN style="border-style: dashed; border-color: gray; background-color: black; color: #222222">E<FONT color='#444444'>M<FONT color='#666666'>O<FONT color='#888888'>B<FONT color='#AAAAAA'>U<FONT color='#CCCCCC'>B</FONT>S</FONT></FONT></FONT></FONT></SPAN>

Ok, it works now, apperently <span> and </SPAN> weren't matching up.

Now, what are the siggy rules? Can I make a cool animated gif siggy?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:13 am 

Well the code I posted worked fine when I tried it, and it follows the validation policy a little better. But anyways, yeah, I think you can put animated gifs in there, but if they're too big and annoying, people might ask you to take them down.

Also, if you're overlapping the <font>s, why not make it more like this, where you overlap ALL of them, pyramid-style?:

<span style="background-color: black; border-color: gray; border-style: dashed;"><span style="color: #222222;">E<span style="color: #444444;">M<span style="color: #666666;">O<span style="color: #888888;">B</span>U</span>B</span>S</span></span>

(or <font>, if you really prefer)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:53 am 

Ok.
I just want to replace that mess of code with a gif image of it, and make the border rotate.

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:02 am 

ed 'lim' smilde wrote:
First, double quotes ("color") are probably more valid than single quotes ('color').

Nope. The HTML and XHTML standards both establish that single quotes are perfectly fine. It's usually best to use double-quotes anyway, since people are used to seeing them and I think they just look better, but it's often more convenient to use single quotes in, say, PHP scripts. If the wiki software rejects single-quotes, then its behavior is wrong. (Nevertheless, it's something to try anyway.)

It's also usually best to use all-lowercase tags because they're compatible with XHTML. But I'm pretty sure the wiki software knows how to handle uppercase tags. I also second ed's advice to use span tags instead.

kingbubs wrote:
Can I make a cool animated gif siggy?

Sorry, kingbubs, but I think "cool animated gif siggy" is an oxymoron. Animated GIFs are almost always distracting and annoying. I don't use the wiki very much, so personally I don't really care what you do, but I know if I used it regularly, I would be annoyed by it, which means others would be annoyed by it too. So I'd strongly recommend that you not do it.

- Kef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:08 am 

furrykef wrote:
Nope. The HTML and XHTML standards both establish that single quotes are perfectly fine. It's usually best to use double-quotes anyway, since people are used to seeing them and I think they just look better,

Yeah, I guess your right about that. But I would think that, since the rest of the HTML in the site uses double quotes (or whatever the technical name is), it would be best to keep it that way.
furrykef wrote:
but it's often more convenient to use single quotes in, say, PHP scripts.

Do you mean, like, printing HTML from a PHP script or quoting actual strings in a PHP script? (Sorry, a little off-topic...)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:49 am 

ed 'lim' smilde wrote:
But I would think that, since the rest of the HTML in the site uses double quotes (or whatever the technical name is), it would be best to keep it that way.

Not sure why that should matter, really. Humans aren't likely to have to deal with that part of the page's code (since it's just a sig), and computers won't care whether the quotes are double quotes or not.

ed 'lim' smilde wrote:
furrykef wrote:
but it's often more convenient to use single quotes in, say, PHP scripts.

Do you mean, like, printing HTML from a PHP script or quoting actual strings in a PHP script?

I mean like this:
Code:
echo "<span style='$style'>$text</span>";

You could use \" in place of the single quotes, but that's often ugly and is a less elegant solution than simply using single quotes.

- Kef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:31 am 

I should flex my e-muscles and point out that single quoted text with the variables being included with commas prints more efficiently than double quoted text.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:27 am 

Yes, I was thinking of mentioning something like that, but I didn't because it's a stylistic issue, much as using \" instead of ' would be. I never said that this was only one way to code it: the point is that it's easy to see why some people would want to code it that way. You don't ever need to use the "variable expansion in double-quote" feature of PHP at all, but there's a reason it exists.

Also, using commas in particular this way is only possible with the print and echo statements. If you wanted to assign the string to a variable or pass it as a parameter, you would have to use the dot operator instead, and that's arguably uglier.

- Kef