Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Give links names
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:01 am 

I've seen stuff like 'this one' 'and this one' where they linked to a website or diffrent topic.But I don't know how to do that.So I have to put in the website's url,like this:http://www.something.com
Could some one tell me how to make the link words instead of the website url?

Post subject: Re: Give link's names
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:19 am 

Sure thing. I must confess, I didn't know how to do this for the longest time myself.

Okay, you know the standard tags for a hyperlink are [url]your URL here[/url], yes? To format them to link via a word, rather than show the URL, format it as the following:

[url=your URL here]the words you want to link to[/url]

After doing it a couple times, you get the hang of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:01 pm 

And now, because I am a jerk, help with something you didn't ask for, but which you clearly need it with-proper use of apostrophes!

Contractions-Pretty much any time a letter or letters is removed from a word, you put an apostrophe there. This doesn't have to be just for contractions, (can't, I'm, should've) but also for poetic or dialect abbreviations: o'er, doin', ma'am.
Possessives-Any time you add an "s" to the end of a word to show possession, you place an apostrophe before it: Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, Homestar's website. If the word already has an "s" at the end because it's plural, you just add an apostrophe after that: the cats' eyes were all glowing. This is only if the word has an "s" at the end because it's plural. Other words with an "s" at the end just have a normal apostrophe s: "Bubs's", "James's". I think. Also if the plural of a word doesn't end in "s" you just add a normal apostrophe-s: people's, men's, children's. This rule does not apply to personal pronouns. They have their own possessive form: "me" becomes "my", "you" becomes "your", "him" becomes "his", etc. "It" follows this rule, technically. That's why if you want it to be a possessive, it's just "I-T-S", but if you want it to be a contraction then it's "I-T-apostrophe-S". Scalawag.
Plural-The only time you use an apostrophe-s to make something plural is if it's a single symbol : (A's, 3's, *'s). I think this might also apply to acronyms, but I'm not sure. With actual words you never do this. It's just wrong.
Conjugation-If a verb has an "s" at the end because of its subject, (Homestar likes marshmallows, The Cheat cheats) you never, ever, ever add an apostrophe. Ever. It's wrong.
Finally, apostrophes can be used in other languages to represent a sound called a glottal stop. But that rarely shows up in English.

Last edited by Ingiald on Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:13 pm 

Mariofan1000 didn't break any of those apostrophe rules though!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:15 pm 

Quote:
Give link's names
Unless he's talking about giving the multiple names of one link, in which case I apologize.

Oh, also I forgot one use-If you're quoting something that is itself quoting something, surround the inner quote with apostrophes: "I like-a to say, 'Holy crap!'."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:41 pm 

Oh, right. I thought you were referring to "website's url" or something.