Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Legal stuff
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:05 pm 

If I want to make a shirt or a button or something with "www.hrwiki.org" on it, will I be infringing on any copyright stuff or anything? I'm not saying I will for sure, I'm just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:05 am 

I think the Homestar Runner Wiki isn't an official organization (which is why JoeyDay said he couldn't cash the check from TBC at first).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:09 am 

ed 'lim' smilde wrote:
I think the Homestar Runner Wiki isn't an official organization (which is why JoeyDay said he couldn't cash the check from TBC at first).

Alright, I was just making sure I wasn't going to be taking "money" out of anyones "pockets" if I made "one shirt".

Post subject: Re: Legal stuff
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:52 am 
Resident Deity

Mr.KISS wrote:
If I want to make a shirt or a button or something with "www.hrwiki.org" on it, will I be infringing on any copyright stuff or anything? I'm not saying I will for sure, I'm just curious.

As long as whatever you are doing is for your own personal use, there is no problem at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:13 am 
Admin Styles

Mr.KISS wrote:
Alright, I was just making sure I wasn't going to be taking "money" out of anyones "pockets" if I made "one shirt".

Tom wrote:
As long as whatever you are doing is for your own personal use, there is no problem at all.

Just to add to what Tom said, as long as you don't sell anything, mass-produce anything, or claim to represent anyone you don't (e.g. H*R.com or HRWiki), then you're cool. It's technically a copyright violation to use the likenesses of any of TBC's dumb animal characters, but if, as you say, you are just making "one shirt," then I doubt anyone would raise a fuss.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:28 am 

Monster thread bump? Yes, but this thread is relevant to my interests.

I wanted to get some shirts made for my recreational soccer team, and we wanted to use one of the dumb animal characters on the shirt, so basically, what would be on the shirt is:

1] A dumb animal character
2] Numbers for the players

Given it's a soccer team, we would only need shirts for the players on our roster (So 15, no more than 20). While I have someone who would print them up, I don't want to do anything that might be considered infringing upon the copyright and cause a ruckus.

Would this be something that is permissible given we're not a business and we're not mass-producing anything? Should we try get the blessing of TBC beforehand? We're just a bunch of H*R fans that play soccer who hopefully don't have to use some knock off logo or change our shirt design altogether :)

If it's something that's not feasible, I get it, just wondering if it's something we could do without a fuss.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:22 am 
Admin Styles

Which dumb animal character? If it was The Cheat or Strong Bad or Homsar, then you could just buy shirts from the store and then have the numbers added once you get them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:25 am 

We were planning to put Eh, Steve on our shirts.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:53 pm 
Admin Styles

Ah, a discontinued shirt.

According to the store, they don't allow that kind of thing. You could use the store contact form and ask if there was a box of Eh! Steve! shirts lying around that they forgot about. Or, since Homestar Runner is so inactive right now, you could try and email the Chaps using the contact info on the official site and see what they say.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:49 pm 

That sounds like a plan, and I'll see what they say.

Hopefully they figure it's innocuous enough that it won't be an issue, since we're only making 15-20 total to wear for soccer and not to sell.

Thanks for your help, and hopefully they get back to me!