Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How was it?
5/5: Awesome 20%  20%  [ 19 ]
4/5: Pretty cool. 33%  33%  [ 31 ]
3/5: Mediocre. 26%  26%  [ 24 ]
2/5: Poor. 17%  17%  [ 16 ]
1/5: Awful 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 94
 Post subject: Re: Trudgemank
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:53 am 

pink pineapple wrote:
I didn't like the music video, but The Cheat was just... is there a word that hasn't been used here already? Well, just made me go "aaw!". But I'm still a little disappointed that they didn't make a sbemail instead. I mean, they get how many mails a day for those? How can they _not_ have any ideas when the fans keep sending them in? I mean, I know how hard it can be to create a functionating story, but they made it this far. :-(
I hope they'll make a good sbemail or toon next week.

But there are people who are getting tired of the Strong Bad Emails. At least one person says they are each time there is a sbemail released. Let's give TBC a break and just enjoy this toon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:08 am 

What is wrong with you people?! That rocked harder than Aerosmith + Run DMC! Five stars! More! Y'all hiscuit breads!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:24 am 

i didnt make it through the entire toon, i say 2/5 at max, not really my style

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:37 am 

Apparently most of you guys are just way too young to get it. Mocking the strange phenomenon of rock + rap is a reliable recipe for amusement.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:28 am 

I'm 20 years old and I don't like it. Then again I am complaining about a cartoon on a forum so that doesn't say much, lol.

I personally don't see what's so funny about mocking Rock + Rap, especially if the way you mock it is in an obscure nonsensical music video.

I think a bunch of you guys are being way too easy with your high ratings, why rate it 3/5 and higher if you don't think it's that funny and that you are going to ever watch it again more than once? Sure you are fans but don't feel that you have to like every single thing that they make.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:49 am 

If we're to let the arguments descend this far anyway, I might as well say that I don't understand why people rate these toons in the first place. Humor is one of the most un-mathematical things on the planet.
Besides, Powered by The Cheat toons usually gets mixed response. Some people aren't fans of the amateuristic style, some people don't like the music, and plenty of people don't get/appreciate the parody-factor.

As for alienation of a new audience, that's something that's been playing for a long time. I've been wanted to introduce a friend to the world of Homestar, but I've noticed most cartoons are big in-jokes nowadays. The most recent cartoon I was able to come with as a good introduction cartoon are the 3-year old Cool Things or Bug In Mouth Disease.
Homestar Runner really is something you need to have grown up with.

Last edited by Kvb on Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:41 am 

I'd give it a 4/5. It was funny with how random it was, and also :cheat: was adorable at the end.

The biggest thing that makes me mad though is how people whine about TBC's toons being "weird". I mean seriously. HARDLY ANYTHING in Free Country U.S.A is normal. If you're going to whine about their stuff being weird, then go away. Homestar Runner is obviously not for you.

My favorate type of humor is randomness. Hence my fav charactor being :homsar:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:17 am 

I like it because it's not about anything, it makes no sence, & it has no message. All musicians could learn from it, since 99% of all songs are about the same subject.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:20 am 

pink pineapple wrote:
I didn't like the music video, but The Cheat was just... is there a word that hasn't been used here already? Well, just made me go "aaw!".
You could always say "KAWAII!!~"

But really, I'm glad you didn't.
OneGyT wrote:
As for if HSR is going down, I disagree. They've hit some lows before and gotten back on track. I thought hiding was simply hysterical, and then your edge and all the ones since were all somewhat mediocre. However, none of it has been awful, and would get me interested in the site if it were the first thing I saw. Also keep in mind that a lot of their attention is focused on SBCG4AP so they can't be expected to do too much. I think after not too long the hilarity will be restored.
I agree. They've been fluctuating in quality since working on SBCG4AP, and there is always good between the bad (love poems, Next Episnowed.) I think and hope that once the game is complete, they will get their A game back.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:28 am 

Not too fond of this one. This isn't going to be another complaining post, it's just me saying how I'm one of the people who just "don't get it". Sorry.

Never really been into the H*R music toons anyway, though there are some I like...just not this one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:09 pm 

XD
This was AWESOME!
It was really funny and I love Taranchula. I thought the reference to the 90's was really funny. But I have to say that they're giving Peacy P a little to much screen time and stuff.
But other then that amazing. 4/5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:11 pm 

Xtermenator wrote:
I'd give it a 4/5. It was funny with how random it was, and also :cheat: was adorable at the end.

The biggest thing that pisses me off though is how people whine about TBC's toons being "weird". I mean seriously. HARDLY ANYTHING in Free Country U.S.A is normal. If you're going to whine about their stuff being weird, then go away. Homestar Runner is obviously not for you.

My favorate type of humor is randomness. Hence my fav charactor being :homsar:

Couldn't have said it better. :homsar: :homsar: :homsar:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:37 pm 

The long awated.................PIZZA TROPHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:30 pm 

Awexome wrote:
I wish I could've given The Cheat some sympathy. Maybe he could've given me some of his Cheatcakes.

Only if the Cheat's hot mom makes 'em. :p

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:54 pm 

I think this one was a miss. I worry that Peacy P is getting used too frequently. He needs a break. His first appearance in TGS was hilarious, and "Rap Song" was very funny as well, but his appearance in the otherwise funny Blubbos commercial seemed forced, as does this one.

Plus, I think the funniest part of PbtC is the voices. The music videos aren't quite as funny.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:15 pm 

While I am pretty anti-death metal and anti-PCP...well, I liked the toon anyway. Mostly for the Cheat, and the lyrics.

3/5.

EDIT: However, I do think most humor from Homestar Runner should come not from in-jokes but rather "out"-jokes. I can understand the in-jokes, of course, but the "out"-jokes are the ones that are usually real laugh-out funny. Like the whole "magic trick" sbmail.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:24 pm 

I thought it was pretty cool until Peacey P showed up. He's been in way too much lately for a "minor" character. And at least in his other appearences it made sense for him to be there, I mean he and Coach Z both rap, but there just isn't any good reason why a rap-star would be in a strange scandinavian death metal song about meat and trudgemank. Also, I think they're still going strong with the SBEmails, Your Edge is now one of my favorites, Although the wrestling one stinanked. I'll give it... :stinko: / :homsar: (no that doesn't mean anything)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:16 pm 

Uhhh... As far as I'm concerned, songs on homestar runner arn't supposed to be good. I thought the song was absolute garbage. Which is why i liked it. So bad it's good, like pretty much all H&R music.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:41 pm 

I voted poor... Seriously, a rap artist singing with a death metal band? COME ON!

Though I did like the end, where The Cheat gave a pizza trophy to himself. :cheatgrin:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:59 pm 

Quote:
And at least in his other appearences it made sense for him to be there, I mean he and Coach Z both rap, but there just isn't any good reason why a rap-star would be in a strange scandinavian death metal song about meat and trudgemank.

Quote:
I voted poor... Seriously, a rap artist singing with a death metal band? COME ON!

I know it's been said several times before, but I'll say it again: these people really just don't get it.

Off-topically, I really enjoyed the song. It was stuck in my head all day. And that has nothing to do with my terrible taste in music - I normally listen to The Decemberists, who are anything but a flash-animated rapper singing with a death metal band.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:27 pm 

It's not that I didn't like the song, it's just that I found the concept too weird... Even for Homestar Runner.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:15 am 

Thanny wrote:
Apparently most of you guys are just way too young to get it. Mocking the strange phenomenon of rock + rap is a reliable recipe for amusement.

im 27, i just dont like it (if that was targeted at guys like me)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:05 am 

Xtermenator wrote:
Uhhh... As far as I'm concerned, songs on homestar runner arn't supposed to be good. I thought the song was absolute garbage. Which is why i liked it. So bad it's good, like pretty much all H&R music.

Umm, what about TROGDOR! :trogdor:

It was in Guitar Hero for crying out loud. That song rocks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:29 am 

For all you people that don't see the logic of a rapper in a death metal band.

I will have to echo what everybody else said, and that is... The Cheat was ADORABLE <333
Don't tell me I was the only one who actually aww'd out loud.

And since I can never resist a good argument, I very distinctly remember a few people wishing TBC would reference some of their older works. That was last year, and now it's happened, what's with all the complaining?
There's a lot of mixed messages being sent here; I think sooner or later TBC will heed our hysteria, get back to new material, and we'll be missing Peacey P again. Everybody ends up satisfied, just not at the same time.
Quote:
Homestar Runner really is something you need to have grown up with.
haha, at first I agreed, but when I was new I didn't click the first sbemail I saw, I scrolled through and picked one that caught my attention. I'm sure once you've seen everything of interest, you'll have enough knowledge to understand all those subtle references going on.

@Ricky: I think by 'garbage' he means 'a joke.' Like, they're not supposed to be 'good,' they're supposed to be a parody, you know? I dunno, that's how I intepret it, anyway. To each his own.

Huge props to Micheal for the sweet avatar! B-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:31 pm 

I thought it was great! Peacey P is hilarious and I would definitely put this song on my mp3 player if they made it available for download.

Reminds me of driving around in my teen-aged car, listening to the Spawn soundtrack. ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:28 pm 

I thought it was great. I'm not a fan of Peacy P, and I think that he had been getting to many cameos, but the pairing with Taranchula was fantastic.
"Y'all Stank."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:36 pm 

After a few more veiwings it's started to grow on me. Still a bit short though. So I bumped up my score to 3/5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:21 am 

I kind of liked it. ._.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:55 am 

nickshorts wrote:
That was complete garbage. I really feel like I wasted my time watching that. Not only are the lyrics are unintelligible, but reading them on the wiki just makes me shake my head in shame. Doesn't match up with the humor in the rest of the site. It really turns me off when they make something that is completely made up of in-jokes that only the chaps themselves will get.

I don't understand why anyone would rate this higher than a 1/5. And I'm not trying to be a troll, honestly. Usually 'Powered By the Cheat' things are O.K. but this was just awful. Please tell me what is so funny about pointless random things flying by.. They are really wearing out the 'early flash animator' joke too.

Also, I'd like to point out that although Taranchula came out WAY WAY WAY before dethklok, I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to make that connection and think that the Bros Chaps are ripping them off.

I'd rather they spend their time making a cartoon with coherant jokes than spouting out something like this just to have a consistent weekly update.

I'm going to be honest here. I COMPLETELY agree with you. With EVERYTHING you just said. Even with people thinking they're ripping off dethklok. I'm not gonna just say it's good just because TBC made it. This was awful.

I couldn't understand the lyrics, it was just completely random and NOT in any way at all funny. It was just stupid. Easily my least favorite thing on the entire site. I'd rather watch their oldest toons or 500 the cheats or whatever than this.

I'd definitely rather see a real toon. How about a new BIG toon TBC?

likalaruku wrote:
I like it because it's not about anything, it makes no sence, & it has no message. All musicians could learn from it, since 99% of all songs are about the same subject.

By this logic. TBC could put out anything, even if they thought it was stupid themselves and you'd think it was good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:21 am 
Admin Styles

I agree. Humor should have an underlying meaning, only with a twist. Randomness for its own sake isn't that funny.

Normally I really like the music on the site. I play it over and over. With this one, however, even though it got better as it went on, I only wanted to watch it once. I didn't quite dislike it, but I wouldn't say that I liked it, either.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next