Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Play ball!
First Pick!! 62%  62%  [ 71 ]
Good in the field 29%  29%  [ 33 ]
Hilarious 6%  6%  [ 7 ]
Maybe we should be put him in a home 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
yer out! 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 115
 Post subject: Re: Kick-a-Ball
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:27 am 

Onion Bubs.

'Nuff said.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:54 am 

When I first watched it, I was somewhat impressed and laughed out loud once, so I rated it a 4/5... Then I watched it again, and again, and again...... I watched it 14 times in one day, laughing more and more each time! It's so funny! I couldn't stop giggling, laughing, or smiling! Now I want to rate it :sm: :sm: :sm: :sm: :sm: / :sm: :sm: :sm: :sm: :sm:

:hr: "I'm going with Pom-Pom!"
:sm: "WHAT THE CRAP?!?!?" "YOU ARE FOR-GI-VEN!"
:marzi: "This is teetering in between hilarious and maybe we should put him in a home."
:coachz: "But I'm playing woman's lacrosse!"
ONION BUBS!!!!!
:sb: "JUST PITCH THE FRICKIN' BALL!!!"
:cheatgrin: "Cheat-Toes"
:kot: "Yeeeaaah riiiiiiight!"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:38 am 

Wait... the scoreboard showed Strong Bad as visitor, but he was kicking in the bottom of the ninth. What's going on here?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:23 pm 

Not a bad toon, I guess, though I was never a big fan of kickball in my youth.

My Favorite parts were:
-Coach Z playing Woman's Lacross
-the KOT being Catapulted
-Strong Mad's super kick
-And Homestar pulling one over on Strongbad

...Though Homestar's team choice methods leave a lot to be desired.

4/5'd!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:48 pm 

A Weird Snake wrote:
I thought this toon was pretty good, but I was unsatisfied when the kickball game had nothing to do with the sbemail hremail conflict. The next one better either be a sbemail or have something to do with sbemails coming back, or I'm stumped.

I don't think we will see any more sbemails. They already pushed Strong Bad too far. And the site was too Strong Bad centric. And his response to the questions have got to predictable as we all know the character too well. As for HomeStarRunner he is much more of a loose cannon now. We never know if he is going to be a good guy or a bad guy. Will he do something stupid or smart.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:41 pm 

jellomizer wrote:
I don't think we will see any more sbemails. They already pushed Strong Bad too far. And the site was too Strong Bad centric. And his response to the questions have got to predictable as we all know the character too well. As for Homestar Runner he is much more of a loose cannon now. We never know if he is going to be a good guy or a bad guy. Will he do something stupid or smart.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. When I first watched the 200th email it had a feel of a being an ending. I kind of shrugged it off and went along with the site, enjoying the subsequent releases as they've come. Recently I went back and watched #200 again and it's hard not to see it as a close to sbemails. The way they took Strong Bad's emails, which had been for so long the main focus of the site and fans, and placed it in the larger context of being just a part of the HSR world was very well done. TBC showed that while Strong Bad, and most fans, saw sbemails as the reason the site was there, they were merely coexisting and interacting with the larger world.

Then the way #200 ended with SB's triumph, the inspiration music, final appearance of the paper, and the fade to black celebrating the long history and fond memories of all the prior sbemails practically screams that they're saying "The End" in a classy and gracious way. Perhaps it's not a permanent farewell, but it would seem they're not coming back next week, or next month either. Don't get me wrong, I would love watching another 200 emails, though I don't know how much new ground can be covered without TBC really having to strain.

I think people need to relax about "sbemails have to come back right now or I'm mad!", get rid of all your expectations and what you think has to happen, and just enjoy the cartoons and updates as they come. If you relax a little and stop looking for reasons to be mad because the newest release isn't what you want, you may just enjoy yourself here a bit more.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:50 pm 

Yeah, I agree. Maybe they're just waiting 'til they've got enough e-mails they could make a good toon out of - they're probably still checking them, just not doing anything with them until there are enough good ones to make it worthwhile.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:18 pm 

Strong Bad Emails will come back. Fans of the site (outside of anyone obsessed enough with the site to go on a forum and Wiki related to it) love to see content injected by fans, in this case being emails from fans. Strong Bad may be the character that has had the most screen time on Homestar Runner, but he's also comes across as the straight man in a universe where everyone else either has an poor grasp on the English language or an accent so thick that you can't understand it anyways, or are extremely eccentric. That kind of contrast is necessary to make most HR toons coherent. SB almost narrates their ridiculousness. The other characters are likable, but SB definitely has the best screen presence. I'm a bit of a Coach Z fan myself, but I know that his humor is best injected in small doses.

So to quote Strong Bad, "I'm Strong Bad, and you *still* don't know it yet, but I'm the reason you're here."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:56 pm 

Spellman wrote:
So to quote Strong Bad, "I'm Strong Bad, and you *still* don't know it yet, but I'm the reason you're here."

Stop telling me why I watch it! X-(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:19 am 

i rate it good enough for me to have faith in the brothers chap and go back to the forum after being absent since feb 11th

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:42 am 

I personally can't find any reason for someone to not say this toon was great.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:15 am 

Spellman wrote:
Strong Bad Emails will come back. Fans of the site (outside of anyone obsessed enough with the site to go on a forum and Wiki related to it) love to see content injected by fans, in this case being emails from fans. Strong Bad may be the character that has had the most screen time on Homestar Runner, but he's also comes across as the straight man in a universe where everyone else either has an poor grasp on the English language or an accent so thick that you can't understand it anyways, or are extremely eccentric. That kind of contrast is necessary to make most HR toons coherent. SB almost narrates their ridiculousness. The other characters are likable, but SB definitely has the best screen presence. I'm a bit of a Coach Z fan myself, but I know that his humor is best injected in small doses.

I disagree completely. Strong Bad is in no means a straight man at all. Characters like Marzipan or Strong Sad are straight men, due to the fact they don't necassarily start many jokes, just deflect and react to them. A straight man has to be much more calm than a character like Strong Bad, and not have such an extreme personality. They're sort of like everymen, embodying the feelings of how real people would react in the situations they're put into. That's just my opinion, anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:12 am 

TheMac04 wrote:
I disagree completely. Strong Bad is in no means a straight man at all. Characters like Marzipan or Strong Sad are straight men, due to the fact they don't necassarily start many jokes, just deflect and react to them. A straight man has to be much more calm than a character like Strong Bad, and not have such an extreme personality. They're sort of like everymen, embodying the feelings of how real people would react in the situations they're put into. That's just my opinion, anyway.
I can see why you say that, but Strong Sad and Marzipan are pretty eccentric, which in turn makes them ridiculous butts of jokes. Strong Sad is always chronically depressed (and when he acts anything unlike that, it's supposed to be unnusual.), and he writes poetry on a grain of rice. His name is literally a reflection of how he's supposed to act, and that is sad. And Marzipan is an eco-maniac. A perfect example of someone who is 100% gun hoe for saving the planet. Rarely does she venture out of this personality either. Strong Bad isn't exactly a straight man in the same way as Jon Stewart is, and he's a little like Colbert in the sense that he's an ego-maniac, but in relative comparison to everybody else, he's about as normal as it gets. He's not bound by subject matter, either.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:24 am 

Spellman wrote:
TheMac04 wrote:
I can see why you say that, but Strong Sad and Marzipan are pretty eccentric, which in turn makes them ridiculous butts of jokes. Strong Sad is always chronically depressed (and when he acts anything unlike that, it's supposed to be unnusual.), and he writes poetry on a grain of rice. His name is literally a reflection of how he's supposed to act, and that is sad. And Marzipan is an eco-maniac. A perfect example of someone who is 100% gun hoe for saving the planet. Rarely does she venture out of this personality either. Strong Bad isn't exactly a straight man in the same way as Jon Stewart is, and he's a little like Colbert in the sense that he's an ego-maniac, but in relative comparison to everybody else, he's about as normal as it gets. He's not bound by subject matter, either.

The only problem with that though is the fact that Strong Bad is also extremely eccentric. A straight man has to be relatively plain, so I understand your point on Strong Sad and Marzi, but Strong Bad cerainly isn't one either. Some one like say, Rob from Get Fuzzy or Goat from Pearls Before Swine.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:19 am 

TheMac04 wrote:
The only problem with that though is the fact that Strong Bad is also extremely eccentric. A straight man has to be relatively plain, so I understand your point on Strong Sad and Marzi, but Strong Bad cerainly isn't one either. Some one like say, Rob from Get Fuzzy or Goat from Pearls Before Swine.
O.K., this is true. Although most of his ridiculous ideas are just a figment of his over-active imagination, he does go overboard on some things. I wouldn't say he abides by the "straight man" act 100% of the time. He however, still carries most of the traits of the humor straight man when confronted by other members of the cast and their ridiculousity (think about how many times another character has just walked in on him replying to an email and he attempts to shrug them off, usually angered.). He can still say humorous things and be classed under that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_act

Anyways, I didn't mean to get into a big debacle about that, I was just making the point that he's the best candidate to "run-the-show", if you will.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:11 am 

DaCheatsune wrote:
I.. had no idea kickball was a real game

High Skool Artist wrote:
i rate it good enough for me to have faith in the brothers chap and go back to the forum after being absent since feb 11th
IS THIS FOR REAL
DID HSA ACTUALLY LIKE A TOON

Too lazy to quote anything here but I reckon there's no definite straightman in H*R: Strong Bad, Marzi and Strong Sad seem to alternate if you ask me. And sometimes you get somebody different altogether, like The Cheat! Or Homestar, if Play Date's anything to go by. Makes the characters more interesting to me.

Huge props to Micheal for the sweet avatar! B-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:21 pm 

:hr: :hr: :hr: :hr: :hr: / :hr: :hr: :hr: :hr: :homsar:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:48 pm 

Chituze wrote:
DaCheatsune wrote:
I.. had no idea kickball was a real game

High Skool Artist wrote:
IS THIS FOR REAL
DID HSA ACTUALLY LIKE A TOON

Too lazy to quote anything here but I reckon there's no definite straightman in H*R: Strong Bad, Marzi and Strong Sad seem to alternate if you ask me. And sometimes you get somebody different altogether, like The Cheat! Or Homestar, if Play Date's anything to go by. Makes the characters more interesting to me.

You're probably right. Although I've always seen Marzipan or Pom Pom as more straight men that anyone else, but it doesn't matter much, to be honest.

And yes, kickball is, in fact, a real sport.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:02 pm 

"Hey, guys, what's up?"

Until this toon came along, I had started to feel sure that TBC were simply dragging their knuckles waiting for us to stop clamouring for more SBEMAILS and enjoy the rest of the stuff they've created up till now. Good strategy! And there are lots of SBEMAILS to catch up on if you haven't seen all of them yet...

Yes, as you can probably tell, I'm biding my time...

:hr: But never mind... :)

:sm: "Beef and cheddar! FIVE FOR FIVE!"
Loved this toon! :hr: It was a wiot!
What the...!! :coachz: playing women's lacrosse??
More and more, you start to wonder if Coach Z is really a guy... ;)
And no, Marzipan's mom does not wear combat boots..... :marzi: But I does!!
:sb: Heyyy! That's my line! And I thought it very interesting that SB had that "cheating rule" pencilled into the book. You think he'd planned for something like this "since 1989"?!?
And how's it going down there on the Isle of Pom, Tim Tom? Warm and sunny, like always??

What can I say? The spirit of Free Country USA in one fabulous toon!

Oh, did I forget to rate it? I thought I did so...

:sm: "Beef and cheddar!" FIVE OUT OF FIVE!

Last edited by daanton on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:28 am 

I think I know why The Poopsmith was missing from the final scene. He knows full well that not even somebody lacking visible arms would high-five that guy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:52 pm 

I love the references to other toons/sbemails. (I'm talkin to you, onion bubs)
You couldn't hit your way outta lookin' at a thing in a bag!
Homsar would've been a nice addition, but it was a really great toon, so I don't think it would have been that much better.

Fear the TSoND!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:59 pm 

One more thing I've noticed (hopefully no one mentioned this before):

Remember the umpire saying:
Quote:
"Honest to God, Mookie Blaylock gave this kickball my aunt, 1984."

It's almost similar to the Grape Fairy (Strongest Man in the World) saying:
Quote:
"Honest to God, Mookie Wilson gave me the golbol to my aunt in 1974."

And also note the announcer's similar "impressive" responses in both toons!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:39 pm 

Already on the wiki, daanton.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:14 am 

Sorry, I didn't notice...

:sb: Oh man, he was just trying to contribute something...!
:sm: YOU CUT HIM DEEP!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:59 pm 

I loved this toon. It just felt good to watch it. I really like how The Umpire was depicted, and the whole format... it was just great! 5 Stars!

Oh, and here's something that I feel could be under "Remarks" on the Wiki Article: Watch when The Cheat is "up to bat". Either there are two Homestars, or Homestar can run really fast.

Favorite quote from latest toon: What latest toon?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:27 pm 

Location: My computer sending 21 emails a day to strong bad and homestar
Even though this toon is very funny the lack of homsar gives this
:cheatgrin: :cheatgrin: :cheatgrin: :cheatgrin: / :cheatgrin: :cheatgrin: :cheatgrin: :cheatgrin: :sad:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:00 pm 

I totally found this toon to be hysterical. I was laughing the whole way through. Besides the conspiracy idea between my friends, I'd rate this a 5/5.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:37 am 

I really liked this toon. It had a nice mix of old concepts and current humour, which I notice has been happening a lot lately. I'm glad. I liked those old concepts.

Also, a lot of the character switch between straight man and crazy from scene to scene. Even Homestar's the straight man sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:54 pm 

I think it was a pretty good toon. I was really suprised when I found out the the Umpire was in it, lemme tell ya. He hasn't bee in anything since....long-time-ago-ville. He WAS going to be in an Easter Egg....but they forgot.... :(( ...other than The Umpire, it was great! I like how you could temporarily see an over view of Homestar while Strong Bad was flipping the coin...I also liked the whole new platform and how they probably found a kickball place out of nowhere in the field from the latest "Find the Homsar" game. The only other thing that I say, is that, does'nt the Umpire's head look a bit like a guitar pick? Anyway, my overview is a big...
5 STARS!!

Fine, your choice..I'll sing. Ahem. "Were no strangers to love....."
Yellow burns.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:49 am 

Funniest :sm: has been in awhile. Would have been hilarious if :senor: was in this episode too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next