4/5: A new twist on an old classic! 38%  38%  [ 23 ]
3/5: It will come into its own in college, and thrive! 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
2/5: We're too cool for the prom anyway. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
1/5: I gut you like sheep. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 60
 Post subject: Re: Teen Girl Squad Issue 15
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:06 am 

homestrobro wrote:
Personally, I think TBC have lost their touch since sbemail 200. everything has been cheesy, almost forced, including this toon. hremails fail to outshine sbemails, 4 gregs has nothing on tgs, and the new toons just arent the same. obviously theyre trying to shift the focus from strong bad to the rest of the characters, but id rather see a funny, original sbemail than a mediocre toon or short.

this tgs followed that same path- old beaten plots and forced jokes. i cant say that there wasnt any humor, but ive seen TBC do way better than the stuff theyve been putting out lately.

2.5/5

...Wait, you're saying you didn't like this because it follows a beaten path, but you want sbemails back?

Favorite quote from latest toon: What latest toon?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:39 am 

Monkeytender wrote:
homestrobro wrote:
Personally, I think TBC have lost their touch since sbemail 200. everything has been cheesy, almost forced, including this toon. hremails fail to outshine sbemails, 4 gregs has nothing on tgs, and the new toons just arent the same. obviously theyre trying to shift the focus from strong bad to the rest of the characters, but id rather see a funny, original sbemail than a mediocre toon or short.

this tgs followed that same path- old beaten plots and forced jokes. i cant say that there wasnt any humor, but ive seen TBC do way better than the stuff theyve been putting out lately.

2.5/5

...Wait, you're saying you didn't like this because it follows a beaten path, but you want sbemails back?

what i mean is that these new toons are following a beaten path that a lot of other comedians and online cartoons follow. its unoriginal. the jokes are stale, predictable, and a lot of the time, stupid. While the concept of sbemails might not have been original, the jokes and the plot were. you never knew what TBC were going to throw at you.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:41 am 
Admin Styles

I don't think they've lost their touch. I laughed consistently through the whole thing.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:19 am 

That. Was. So tremendously-awesome-that-it-kinda-hurts-my-brain-and-I-maybe-need-some-aspirin!
I laughed practically the WHOLE time! First time in a LONG time. Why?

The integration of 4 Gregs. Cheerleader's prom hair. Light purple cummerbund.
"Does that mean you're dating a pretty prism?"
"Guess who got a NON-GREG for the prom?"
"Cheerleader Cheerleader."
"You will?" "Heh, no. Sparrow'd." <--Biggest laugh
"I'll gut you like sheep." "It's not so bad." "Ow, sheep, you lied!"
"Remander 3, repeating..."

And of course, the Ugly One always comes out on top.
TBC is back!!

:sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: / :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb:

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:03 am 

Oh my grash, some funny stuff once again! And a regular segment, that's unheard of! :O
"Isn't that like going to the prom with your dad?" "And we've all been there, right gals? Enh?" XD
The Whats-her-face college thing was pretty funny too. :P

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:58 am 

It's dot com wrote:
I don't think they've lost their touch. I laughed consistently through the whole thing.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:33 pm 

UPDATE: The toon grew on to me, particuraly the "I gut you like sheep" part.

New Score- :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: / :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb:

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 pm 

Heh. No. Sparrow'd.
I thought this was quite good, another take on the whole "prom gone wrong" thing. Manolios was pretty funny in this. And also... sparrow'd! SPARROW'D!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:18 pm 

homestrobro wrote:
Monkeytender wrote:
homestrobro wrote:

2.5/5

what i mean is that these new toons are following a beaten path that a lot of other comedians and online cartoons follow. its unoriginal. the jokes are stale, predictable, and a lot of the time, stupid. While the concept of sbemails might not have been original, the jokes and the plot were. you never knew what TBC were going to throw at you.

Yeah, you do know that there isn't really that much difference between sbemails and other cartoons right? I mean, basically sbemails are just regular cartoons bookended with Strong Bad's snarky wagglehead and an old computer. I mean, had Kick-A-Ball (a toon featuring heavy amounts of Strong Bad) been a sbemail, would you have liked it better?

And how can you call the jokes of "web comics" original? :P

By the way, guys, the Wiki doesn't mention this, but the Sheraton is a real-life hotel.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:24 pm 

homestrobro wrote:

2.5/5

Sigh, you are exactly who TBC have been making fun of for the past 4 months and you're completely blind to the fact. I don't know if that makes it funnier or just more sad. They've shown over and over that sbemails are nothing more than a funny toon with a neat little wrapper around them and some funny jokes about grammar and spelling. (Though I can say I would find Strong Bad's take on your lack of apostrophes and capitalization humorous.)

I think people might enjoy things better if they stopped telling themselves that they need sbemails back and that it would be the best thing ever (next to beef stew) if they started making them again. I loved sbemails, some of my favorite memories from the site come from them, but I can also recognize that TBC are still putting out the same great humor and animation that they've given us for the past 10 years. There are always going to be some toons that suck or certain people don't find funny and that's fine, but lose the mystical ideal that a new sbemail would be magical and the funniest thing you've ever seen and you may like enjoy yourself a bit more.

On a side note, after 300+ cartoons with the same characters and subject matter, almost everything is an old plot or a joke that's been used before, or a variation of it. It's kind of what makes the site what it is, and I don't see that as a bad thing.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:48 pm 

homestrobro wrote:
you never knew what TBC were going to throw at you.

That's not always a true or good thing. Remember when Strong Bad wasted three minutes discussing different magic tricks instead of cutting up Homestar? Either you saw this coming or you were gravely disappointed at not seeing him abuse Homestar.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:42 pm 

The "eh... no, SPARROW'D" thing made me actually laugh out loud, which is rare for me. It had some pretty sweet moments, but it was sorta lacking something. Regardless, 4/5... Especially if 5/5 is supposed to be the absolute best... The Easter eggs were pretty good too.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:32 pm 

Awesome. I wondered when they would skewer a high school prizom. :-D

4/5, thought it was a bit on the short side.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:41 am 

I can relate the 3 of 4 Gregs (despite being a girl), so I am always up for more of them. & what IS this "dress" you speak of?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:59 am 

Danimo wrote:
homestrobro wrote:

2.5/5

Sigh, you are exactly who TBC have been making fun of for the past 4 months and you're completely blind to the fact. I don't know if that makes it funnier or just more sad. They've shown over and over that sbemails are nothing more than a funny toon with a neat little wrapper around them and some funny jokes about grammar and spelling. (Though I can say I would find Strong Bad's take on your lack of apostrophes and capitalization humorous.)

I think people might enjoy things better if they stopped telling themselves that they need sbemails back and that it would be the best thing ever (next to beef stew) if they started making them again. I loved sbemails, some of my favorite memories from the site come from them, but I can also recognize that TBC are still putting out the same great humor and animation that they've given us for the past 10 years. There are always going to be some toons that suck or certain people don't find funny and that's fine, but lose the mystical ideal that a new sbemail would be magical and the funniest thing you've ever seen and you may like enjoy yourself a bit more.

On a side note, after 300+ cartoons with the same characters and subject matter, almost everything is an old plot or a joke that's been used before, or a variation of it. It's kind of what makes the site what it is, and I don't see that as a bad thing.

good lord you have missed my point. im not asking for sbemails back. definitely not. im just asking for something semi-creative. the new stuff lacks the creativity that TBC have had. they had plenty of good toons and shorts before sbemail 200. it was just a sort of landmark where i noticed that TBC changed their comedic style. all the tgs were awesome. the big toons and the shorts rocked. no, not every single one was absolutely amazing, but at least they had some creative humor. once again, i do not think that the all toons since sbemail 200 are awful. i just think that they are your every day, normal web cartoons, which is something i dont expect from TBC.

furthermore, you are a pretentious jerk, which automatically makes your comment invalid in my book. im not gonna lie, the fact that you care enough to point out apostrophes and capitalization on a homestar runner web forum makes me laugh a little bit. chill out, man. there is no need to attack me.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:21 am 

...i think im the only guy who doesn't like the 4 gregs. They just aren't crazy like TGS, with their dull voices and long sentences...

i think it wouldve been better without em.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:36 am 
Admin Styles

homestrobro wrote:
the fact that you care enough to point out apostrophes and capitalization on a homestar runner web forum makes me laugh a little bit.

Sorry, that doesn't fly. If you'd said "web forum" and left it at that, you might have a case, but I don't care how they spell things on the Internet—when you post on the Homestar Runner Wiki Forum, you spell the whole word out. And whatever happened to capitalization and punctuation? They used to be so cool. (Actually, I don't care what you do, but we have a reputation for being a literate site, so don't be surprised if someone calls you on your bad grammar.)

Both of you need to ease up a bit on the directed personal statements or we'll just prune the thread of your comments. There's no call for labeling people the butt of TBC's jokes or saying they're jerks.

Speaking to the point, all Strong Bad Emails are not simply regular toons with computer bookends. guitar, spring cleaning, 50 emails, huttah, brianrietta, trevor the vampire, and so on. (I realize most of those were early emails; they were just the first ones that came to mind.) The best ones have sly Strong Bad commentary. The ones where you can remove Strong Bad and lose nothing are the weaker ones, in my opinion.

Back on topic, I liked how they weaved in the Gregs (and other old elements), and how the Gregs died along with the girls.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:21 pm 

Seemed like an older Teen Girl Squad. I loved this.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:21 pm 

:-D :)
That. was. awesome.
The "I gut you like sheep" part was hilarious, and I thought the slo-mo dying sequence for Japanese Culture Greg was funny to me.
I didn't really get why Open Source Greg was dressed as his avatar though...
I don't think this can top The Ugly One's line, "Voodoo? Is it voodoo? VOODOO!", though.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:09 am 

That was so awesome, 5/5. The Peacey P easter egg was so sweet.

I gotta say one thing to adress all these people arguing about the direction TBC have been taking as of late though. I personally think that lately TBC have been getting better and better. most toons from like mid to late 08 were really boring for me, but in 09 they really seem to shine. It may be because these toons seem to be returning to their older style of humor for me, and that was exactly the thing I was missing.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:05 am 

humm I am going to post a very thought-out response? Practically every joke made me laugh, and that's great, totally what I love about TBC, but a lotto times it kinda got awkward as they added some other bit in after! This is a carefully compiled list of every bit I feel is relevant:

• 'Hexagonal paper' segment - Maybe I just couldn't relate to the joke enough, but without Scifi Greg's first line of dialogue and Chizuko's line of dialogue the delivery could've been a lot sharper! Actually speaking of that part I found "barf my earlier energy drink into the energy drink I'm currently drinking" hilarious.
  • What's Her Face - Her line about the dress and food could've been condensed into "huh? ... Dress?" and "a new twist on an old classic!" could've been removed entirely. I know it's tempting to lampshade but sometimes life's better off without it!
  • Open Source Greg's 'avatar' scene - The "chat log" would work better if it was faster! In fact the speech did seem a bit slow as a whole, but no matter, it gave me time to process.
  • Peacy P - Can I just say right now that his bit actually sounded awesome? No probably not. Anyways, I reckon cut "and we out!" as well as "it's ridankalus."
  • And, Tompkins - Dialogue would be better as "Stupid 4 Gregs... I could've been the one being massacred."

lol just realised I wrote this like TBC were gonna read it. I feel so critical man, it was supposed to be constructive ): but contary to what it appears I really did like the toon! Just, like somebody said, pacing problems.

DO NOT ARGUE LITTLE BOYS AND/OR GIRLS, I'M SURE WE WILL NEVER HAVE ANYBODY SIGNING UP SOLELY TO COMPLAIN AGAIN.

@Heimstern: haha wow thank you! I was sure it was leaning more towards, 'disturbingly obssessive.'

Huge props to Micheal for the sweet avatar! B-)

Last edited by Happy on Fri May 15, 2009 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:06 pm 

Wow, that's well thought-out commentary! I don't completely agree with it (in particular, I loved the word "ridankalus"), but it's pretty impressive you thought that critically about this.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:28 am 

It was awesomely random, just like every other episode!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:28 pm 

So, after watching this a few times there's somthing i'm confused about.

In 4 Gregs cheerleader says she's only a cheerleader in the way she dresses and the way she treats other girls. Implying she is not a cheerleader.

But in this TGS they call her cheerleader cheerleader, making the first one a title and the second her name. And later when cheerleader Brian picks her up she says she's off duty, implying that cheerleading is her job.

I know TBC aren't really big on continuity but this confuses me.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:11 pm 

Eric the orange wrote:
So, after watching this a few times there's somthing i'm confused about.

In 4 Gregs cheerleader says she's only a cheerleader in the way she dresses and the way she treats other girls. Implying she is not a cheerleader.

But in this TGS they call her cheerleader cheerleader, making the first one a title and the second her name. And later when cheerleader Brian picks her up she says she's off duty, implying that cheerleading is her job.

I know TBC aren't really big on continuity but this confuses me.

You think that's confusing? Look here.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:21 pm 

So. Awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:58 pm 

I know this post seems overdue, but I just wanted to mention something.

It seems Strong Bad, who writes the issues and provides most of the voices in TGS, has once again become unaware of sentences beginning with 'guess' are just commands, not questions. That's why in email 190 (licensed), the last sentence ended with ellipses.

But I know what would be more appropriate to make a sentence with 'guess' a question: insert 'can you' in the beginning.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:27 am 

Could you give an example?