Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Strong Bad and the Lappy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:18 pm 

was :sb: destroying lappy a bit out of charecter? i do. i always thought hed be realy upset.

Post subject: Re: sb and lappy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:03 pm 

I don't know... Strong Bad wasn't very upset about trashing the Tandy...

Homestar Runner fan since the summer of deuce double-aught twice

Post subject: Re: Strong Bad and the Lappy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:31 am 

He hated the Tandy by the time he trashed it. That's the difference.

Strong Sad says:
"Did your terrible computer explode?"
"Did you get four hundred thousand viruses?"
"Did you deliberately blow up your fan-favourite computer merely for effect, and replace it with something bland, out-of-character, and overly modern?"

Post subject: Re: Strong Bad and the LappyyppaL eht dna daB gnortS :eR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:34 am 

Now that you mention, you're right. It does seem a little out of character for him. It always seemed that he loved that thing. I wonder what drastically changed his mind?

Maybe there's a detail I'm not remembering? I don't know. :P

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:40 am 

Those of you who've read my fairly extensive criticisms in the sbemail 201 thread will already know this, but yes, I agree completely with the thread starter that this was out of character for Strong Bad. One of the reasons sbemail 201 is one of a very few emails I've ever given a negative review.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:46 pm 

Seems like TBC needed a gimmick. :-(
Still, I think the whole "paper confusion" emails were stupid, the death of the lappy was stupid, and that sbemails went rotten when the paper died. Sure there were some good moments, but the inkjet didn't have enough personality. It seems like the whole "email thunder" incident where both(?) papers were destroyed was just(as homestar would say…) bupkis. :p

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:30 am 

Why on Earth get rid of the Lappy? It was arguably the best computer he ever had (I like Comby best.)
It doesn't really make alot of sense to give up a great computer just to see an explosion and get a boring, crappy, new one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:26 am 

I don't know about it being out of character. I did like the Lappy, but each computer's time must come. I do not however like the choice of the Compe as the new computer. I think its actual graphical interface is just a little too modern for the ol' SB.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:28 pm 

We havent seen enough of the compe to really judge it I don't think. Sure it is radically different, but how long can you do jokes about how bad strong bad's computer is before it gets old. And you can tell they've been wanting to upgrade his computer for a while, allowing the lappy to do things it specs shouldnt allow.
I saw we have some faith and see where they go with it, I do miss the old paper though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:34 pm 

I wouldn't have thought that Strong Bad would decide to
Michael Bay the Lappy. And I really don't think the Compe
suits him, either.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:08 pm 

I was a bit surprised by his willingness to kill off his lappy as well; even a bit disappointed. I always thought it was hilarious (in a tragic kind of way) how hysterical he was after his Compy was destroyed. I kept thinking "Boy...he's going to be inconsolable after his Lappy kicks the bucket..." I mean, it was practically his girlfriend right? ( :-| ....)

But then he went ahead and blew it up himself! WTPF?!

But then I started to think...maybe he did it because he did it because he wanted control over the situation. I mean, we all knew it was coming...we just didn't know when or how. SB knew this as well so instead of waiting for it to happen, and to save himself from potential "heartbreak" or whatever you wanna call it...he got the job done himself. Then he would have off screen time to grieve over his Precious Lappy where no one would see is "oh so sensitive side". (I can see him really hating the fact that his audience saw him like that already in "Virus")

Hmmm....I probably over analyzed that but hey...it's fun to do little character studies, right? :mrgreen:

As for his new Computer I really don't have a problem with it at all. It's a bit hard to get used to, but I like it just fine. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:26 pm 

The compy was the best. The lappy kinda grew on me and I was sad to see it go. I dunno maybe the BC did it stir up a heated debate on these very forums? Who knows?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:44 pm 

I didn't mind Strong Bad's exploding the Lappy himself when I first saw the email; when I figured out that "Strong Bad Email" had returned, I started wondering, "So, we waited nine or ten months for him to return. How long to they expect us to wait for the new computer?" However, in retrospect, it does feel very Not-Strong Bad. Maybe even more so than his earlier refusals to beat the snot out of house-breaking, depressed Homestar Runners. When the Tandy and the Compy both "died," Strong Bad appeared pretty unwilling to handle the loss. His distress for the Compy is obvious, but in addition, when the Tandy exploded, his reaction was not to go shopping for a new computer, but to get the Tandy fixed. The Lappy really grew into an essential part of "Strong Bad Email,"* and it feels awkward to see Strong Bad willingly kill it like that. I should probably add that I didn't think about how out of character it was until I saw TV Tropes list this Email as Strong Bad's Dethroning Moment of Suck. Since I have such a low regard for the Compé era, I can't argue against them.

*It's possible I just said that since the earliest time I can remember watching a Scroll Button Song was when Strong Bad sang one to the Lappy.
:sb: I scroll it up high! You scroll it down low! I'm always late for school 'cause your moms drive slow! Ooh!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:59 pm 

While I think killing off the Lappy was sad, I do understand why the Chaps did that. I guess they were trying something new to do new emails by trying something, like getting a new computer. Besides, Strong Bad did that before with the Tandy and the Compy before.

Still, I do love the Lappy, but it is good to try something new for the Strong Bad emails.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:05 pm 

You can't compare the end of the Lappy to the other computers' ends. The Tandy and the Compy died when Strong Bad least expected it, while Strong Bad killed the Lappy out of his own free will. He killed it less than two minutes after promising it another week to live, no less.