Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Buoyancy of Pom Pom
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:59 pm 

I posted this over at another Homestar forum back in the day, but I'll post this here for those who haven't seen it.

According to his driver's license, Pom Pom is 6' 2" tall and weighs 4 lb. We can see that the bulk of Pom Pom is his abdominal sphere, which has a diameter of approximately 0.8 times his height, or about 1.5 m. This gives his abdomen a volume of 1.77 cubic metres. Assuming that all four pounds are situated in this sphere, Pom Pom has a density of 1.02 kilograms per cubic metre. This is less than that of air, which is 1.2 kilograms per cubic meter. Keep in mind that this is assuming that his head and limbs do not have mass. If they do, then he has even less density. So according to these calculations, Pom Pom should float in air. It has been postulated that his Pom Pilot, cell phone, and wallet are the only things keeping him on the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:02 pm 

WOW, not your average n00b post.

Yeah I think Pom-Pom could float. Maybe down the road if TBC decides to use Pom-Pom, the could try that out.

Post subject: Re: The Buoyancy of Pom Pom
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:03 pm 

Klotz wrote:
I posted this over at another Homestar forum back in the day, but I'll post this here for those who haven't seen it.

According to his driver's license, Pom Pom is 6' 2" tall and weighs 4 lb. We can see that the bulk of Pom Pom is his abdominal sphere, which has a diameter of approximately 0.8 times his height, or about 1.5 m. This gives his abdomen a volume of 1.77 cubic metres. Assuming that all four pounds are situated in this sphere, Pom Pom has a density of 1.02 kilograms per cubic metre. This is less than that of air, which is 1.2 kilograms per cubic meter. Keep in mind that this is assuming that his head and limbs do not have mass. If they do, then he has even less density. So according to these calculations, Pom Pom should float in air. It has been postulated that his Pom Pilot, cell phone, and wallet are the only things keeping him on the ground.

Wow. Thats alot of big numbers, let me take them in.

OK, well. An other thing that says pompom ways 4p pounds is in MLS when the announcer says
"And wieghing in at 104 pounds, the homtown favorites: Hometsar Runner and Pom Pom!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:09 pm 

I think that means that Homestar weighs 100 lb. That looks about right. He's not too big a guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:39 pm 

Yeah, Homestar probably weighs around 100. You're [ost is confusing, even for me, the... guy. Probably becayusaed I skipped through about every other word (I do that when I've read too much on a forum in one day)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:17 pm 

There is a problem with your calculations: 4lb is what Pom Pom weighs, not his total mass. In order to get his mass, you'd have to factor in air displacement. So, in essence, his total mass would be the 4lb plus the total amount of air he displaces.

You might want to read THIS ARTICLE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:21 am 

You know, if I had been taught scince using H*R characters as examples, the educational experience have been less than sleep-inducing, perhaps even tolerable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:41 pm 

Huh. That's really neat. Of course, Dids has a point.

But it's actually plausible that the only thing keeping him down is his phone and Pom Pilot. And who knows what else he could have in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:31 pm 

His floating creeps SB out. (Yello, yello, dello!)

He could totally float if he wanted to. :pom:

That could make a cool toon. He lets Homestar borrow his cellphone, pom pilot, etc and then he starts floating, and everyone's gotta keep him down or something, I dunno...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:59 pm 

Joshua wrote:

I immediately thought of that while reading the post. I think, however, that was just a joke regarding the exaggerated art style of The Yello Dello.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:14 pm 

Klotz wrote:

Hmmm.... Theres someone with Too much time on their hands.[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:19 pm 

erekrose wrote:
Joshua wrote:

I immediately thought of that while reading the post. I think, however, that was just a joke regarding the exaggerated art style of The Yello Dello.

I think so too. Just like, "Homestar gained a hundred pounds and shrank two feet for this role."

DISCLAIMER: The preceding post was the opinions of Nate, and should be taken as his two cents. Actual exchange rate may vary by location, see stores for details, void where prohibited under penalty of torture.

It's not like I can easily give up...the feelings...of needing her. - Sohma Hatsuharu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:30 am 

Klotz wrote:

I'm gonna email SB and ask him if that's correct, but I doubt I'll get past
Edga Jr.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:49 am 

Klotz wrote:

just emailed it to TBC and SB.THAT will make for a funny email.hopefully

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:54 am 

I could imagine that...

SB: Dear Strong Bad,

According to Pom Pom's driver's license, Pom Pom is 6' 2" tall and weighs 4 lb. We can see that the bulk of Pom Pom is his (incoherant mumblings) yeah, whatever, deleted.

Lappy: DELETED!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:08 pm 

occasional_JD wrote:
I could imagine that...

SB: Dear Strong Bad,

According to Pom Pom's driver's license, Pom Pom is 6' 2" tall and weighs 4 lb. We can see that the bulk of Pom Pom is his (incoherant mumblings) yeah, whatever, deleted.

Lappy: DELETED!

Well, uh, we would see what the lappy's DELETED! looks like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:11 pm 

Location: Underneath a big clock at the corner of 5th Avenue and 22nd Street...
pom pom can float. Haven't you seen in search of the yellow dellow(new version) where in one of the scenes it shows pom pom floating in midair

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:27 pm 

tennessee10 wrote:
just emailed it to TBC and SB.THAT will make for a funny email.hopefully

You should have asked the original poster if you could use their post for your email. Without their permission, what you did was plagiarism. Also, try not to double-post; the edit button (located in the upper-right corner of your posts) is your friend.

Someone wrote:
pom pom can float. Haven't you seen in search of the yellow dellow(new version) where in one of the scenes it shows pom pom floating in midair

This has been pointed out and discussed above. It's probably just a joke regarding TBC's old art style and the exaggeration used in the new version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:59 pm 
Lechable Robot Mod

You should also not double-post, tennessee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:04 pm 

This thought had crossed my mind before. Pom Pom being 4 pounds and that big, well that might indeed be roughly equivalent to the mass of air of that size. I never thought to bother doing a big ol calculation though! Just as Homestar can pick up stuff without hands, Homsar can walk around the edge of the screen, Strong Bad can talk four voices simultaneously, then regardless of Pom Pom's weight, he might have the fictitious ability to just easily control his movement like that.