Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Whats with the categories???
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:11 am 

ALL COMMENTS MADE IN THIS FORUM BY DEVIL.OF.FIREWALLS HAVE BEEN WITHDRAWN

SINCEREST APOLOGIES TO MODESTLYHOTGIRL, STU, C.O.L.A AND ED 'LIM' SMILDE

Last edited by devil.of.firewalls on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Whats with the categories???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:44 am 

devil.of.firewalls wrote:
I've been wondering, what are the categories ACTUALLY for....

I know that they are to sort out the different types of post (Such as this one Suggestions).

But I've noticed that most people, (espically my converts) don't really care about the other forums...They go straight to the General Discussion.

I recently posted a post (well 3 months) on the Homestarrunner X Firefox Logo. It went pretty well for quite a while...until it was moved.....

Even if the link is still available as : 'Moved : Homestarrunner X Firefox Logo' most people, including me think...

Quote:
Oh theres another post about a noob coming into the forum, or a 20-times-repeated question.

We should really reconsider moving high-population posts to different categories like Arts and Crafts, where they are banished. I'm not talking about the
Quote:
How would teh chekt look like if he was shaped as a mobile phone TM'ed!

Maybe instead of going full throttle, an admin should make it so that if a forum is closed, it should say Closed : hI, eVeRyOnE!!!!, instead of it being moved to spam and the link staying in general discussion.

As Benny Hinn said....

Quote:
Let us pray this forum does not get moved!

Links for moved threads eventually just delet themselves and it stays in wherever it was moved to. As for this: "We should really reconsider moving high-population posts to different categories like Arts and Crafts, where they are banished.", What do you mean "Where they are banished"? A&C is a place for arts and craffts, its not another spam-bank. Eitherway, i like things teh way they are.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:14 am 

ALL COMMENTS IN THIS FORUM HAVE BEEN WITHDRAWN

APOLOGIES TO MODESTLYHOTGIRL, STU, C.O.L.A AND ED 'LIM' SMILDE

Last edited by devil.of.firewalls on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:57 pm 

Moved : Homestarrunner X Firefox Logo, most people think that is a spam thread.
Not really anymore. Most mods choose the option not to leave a shadow when moving threads to the spam vault. That way, if you see 'Moved:', you know it went to another forum.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:11 pm 

The main reason I brought this up is because threads, where theres a really good discussion going on, get moved to other forums so they can 'fit in'.
The problem is that lots of people think that when it says Moved : Homestarrunner X Firefox Logo, most people think that is a spam thread.

My idea is that.....if its working well.....leave it where it is.
The Homestarrunner X Firefox Logo Thread was working really well, until it was moved, and most people thought it was now classified as spam.

the problem with leaving it where it is is that in threads liek that, its just a bunch of "Hey, thats cool!" or "Sweet! BACKGROUND'D!" or anything like that, which is considered spam here and would only serve the purpose of raising post count.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:21 am 

Last edited by devil.of.firewalls on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:29 am 

D.O.F. wrote:
Well I'm talking about threads that are doing really well, (5pages+) and then some mod decides he bored and decides to move the thread to a different catagory.

First, mods don't move threads because they are bored, they move tem because they are out of place. It's debateable whether the thread was fine staying in General Discussion, but there was nothing wrong with moving it to A&C. It was done for a reason.

Second, the thread wasn't doing well before it was moved.It was moved after a mere three posts in it. It then shot up qucikly to three pages after the move. It didn't die when it got moved to A&C - it got bigger. Most forum members go straight for the off-topic board, your thread was more likely to be seen there, anyways - and it was.

Despite that, I do agree that "moved" and "locked" should be more seperated than they are. When a thread is locked, I think it should always simply be locked, not moved to the spam vault. It defenitely stops confusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:02 pm 
Lechable Robot Mod

Ugh. If there's really that much confusion about whether a moved thread is locked or not, then that means you guys aren't paying enough attention to the little icon next to the thread title. If it's a little lock, it means it's locked. Otherwise...

And no, we don't move stuff just because we feel like it.

And we've been doing things the way we're doing them for 2 years now. We're not going to change it. If you're that confused, just click the link and see what's going on with it. No offense intended, DOF, but we're not going to change our system just because your "converts" don't understand how our forum works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:23 pm 

ModestlyHotGirl wrote:
Ugh. If there's really that much confusion about whether a moved thread is locked or not, then that means you guys aren't paying enough attention to the little icon next to the thread title. If it's a little lock, it means it's locked. Otherwise...

Er, actually, that's not completely true. If you look at that thread you recently moved to the spam vault in OFD, it says locked when you click on it, but looks just like the other thread you moved from the outside. I'm not saying it's really important or anything, but it is something that could confuse new members.

Whatever, though. it's not that big of a deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:40 pm 
Lechable Robot Mod

You're right, JJM. My mistake. Anyhow, things aren't going to change. If anyone has any questions about how things work around here, that's what the Help Desk is for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:56 pm 

To answer DOF's question, a discussion of, say, people's LJs wouldn't belong in a section about SB-emails. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:44 pm 

Last edited by devil.of.firewalls on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:03 am 

It's not a coding thing. There are two ways to lock a thread: Click lock, or click move and choose spam vault. Either will lock a thread, they jsut look different from the outside.

Anyways, it's not that big of a deal. At all. Anyone who cares enough can click the thread, and if they're confused, they can ask. It's not enough of a problem to make a regulation for.

By the way, don't get HRWiki confused with the HRWiki Forum. Thr HRWiki Forum is run by its moderators and admins, not by the users, unlike the wiki, which is partially run by users. So, i wouldn't exactly call the forum a "community project" - it's not much of a project at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:35 am 

Geez, You'd think a not-for-profit wiki would change its habits that provides information to the world for no cost, would try and tidy anything up when can be done better.

Geez... what I think is that we have some users that don't understand that we (the admins and mods) don't get anything except for personal satisfaction for our efforts here on the wiki (and its affiliates). I work 50+ hours a week, have a wife, and try to maintain some semblance of a life outside of my computer.

If you want to talk about "tidy-ing" up the forums, I don't see how moving posts to the arts and crafts forum would help. (Unless of course they ARE arts and/or crafts). Putting a tag in the header would make such a small difference that the effort isn't really worth it.

Ju Ju Master wrote:
By the way, don't get HRWiki confused with the HRWiki Forum. Thr HRWiki Forum is run by its moderators and admins, not by the users, unlike the wiki, which is partially run by users. So, i wouldn't exactly call the forum a "community project" - it's not much of a project at all.

Nope... it's just something that we (the leaders of said community) felt that our users would like. It isn't the wiki and the wiki isn't the forums.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:17 am 

Last edited by devil.of.firewalls on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:23 pm 

Re Ju Ju Master

I'm not talking about changing the code of the forum every time you have to lock and/or move a thread.

I know that somewhere in the coding section of the Admin Area it has something like this.

(NOT EXACT CODE)

If X (Forum) is 'Locked' change Forum Title to Locked : X (Forum)

Re Stu.

One Word. Passion.

No one would be here, working to keep the HRWiki and HRWikiForum running 24-7 unless there was a passion for the Discussion/Articleisation (Word?) of the H*R.Com Page.

Surely, no one would mind spending 5 minutes of computer time, changing a small section of code.

The problem then is what happens when we need to apply a patch or an upgrade to phpbb? Now we would need to go through and manually apply the same coding every single time. Even if it is only one or two lines of code in one place in the project (which I am very skepticle of), that is still a lot of work to remember. In short. We are not going to do it. I appreciate your suggestion, but sorry... no.

(and since this is a suggestion... that's where it should be)

Post subject: ....
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:48 am 

Last edited by devil.of.firewalls on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:17 pm 
Lechable Robot Mod

If an admin says no, chances are he's not going to change his mind. If you really have a problem with the way the forum is set up, no one's forcing you to stay here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:39 pm 

Ad hominem attacks toward the leadership aside, we have categories so people can find certain topics more easily. If you wanna just talk about Toons, all the threads about Toons are in one section. Same for E-mails, characters, games, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:23 am 

Last edited by devil.of.firewalls on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:31 am 

Quote:
If you really have a problem with the way the forum is set up, no one's forcing you to stay here.

Seriously, ModestlyHotGirl, stop being so aggressive.

Nothing in the rules says that the Admin Department can be rude, snobby and dis appreciative of any comments from the Members.
Rule 1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:53 pm 

You realize, D.O.F., in the time you spent -CENSOR'd!-ing about the categories, you could've just clicked on the thread to see what category it's in. At least, I assume that's the problem you're having. Or did you just need something to complain about?

Really, you're making a big deal out of something insignifigant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:34 pm 

Location: In the not-too-distant future, somewhere in time and space
The categories are there simply to keep stuff organised and easy to browse.

It wouldn't be very nice to have everything, Homestar-related or not, in GD (H*R topics, art topics, forum games, general discussion topics like "Random Thoughts" - everything). Not to mention, it would be a total pain to find something you're looking for without having to use Search every single time.

The mods and admins are not trying to be mean to you if they decide to move a topic elsewhere. They're doing their job, trying to keep things clean and organised, easier for other people to browse the forums. If there's a topic with people posting drawings, it goes to A&C. If people are talking about what their favorite e-mails are, it goes to the SB_email section etc. etc. Simple as that.

Oh, and if people automatically assume moved threads are spam threads, it's just an attitude problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:04 am 
Lechable Robot Mod

Exactly. I'm not being rude, I'm just telling you that Stu has disapproved the idea, so there's no use in trying to change his mind. And really, if all you're going to do around here is complain about the way we do things, you're free to leave. That's not rudeness, snobbery, or a lack of appreciation. I think that if you asked most of the regular users here, they'd say that they're generally happy with the administration of this forum. If they weren't, why would we have such a strong community?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:24 am 

Anyone else think we need more Admins? Anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:30 am 

Choc-o-Lardiac Arrest wrote:

Admins and mods. Some sections are lacking mods... (Okay. Fine. One section)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:27 pm 

Teh Ch8t wrote:
Choc-o-Lardiac Arrest wrote:

Admins and mods. Some sections are lacking mods... (Okay. Fine. One section)
Don't you think if the Admins thought we needed new mods they would have made some?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:49 pm 

Ok guys, we know what's up with some of the categories, and we'll handle it. We have it under control.