Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: widget that shows updates right on the desktop
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:42 am 

Create a widget that will run on the users desktop and show the various updates like new strong bad email or new toon or whatever. That would be awesome. Widgets will be even more popular when Vista comes out and even people without Vista can use them using yahoo widget engine.

I already have a test version running but the RSS should be dynamically generated by a php script that runs off of hrwiki.org and whoever does the updates to the update page would just fill out a form that would be stored in a database that the php script would generate the RSS feed from. I can do that too. I just need ideas on what the widget should look like because I am not a creative person, I can do the code and draw the pictures. I just can't visualize what would look good :).

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:37 am 

In case anyone's interested, I put together one of these for the Opera browser over the weekend. I'm sure an equivalent could be put together for Yahoo!, and mine should be repackagable for Mac Dashboard without too much trouble.

Anyone want to collaborate?

Post subject: Re: widget that shows updates right on the desktop
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:17 pm 

dreed75 wrote:
Create a widget that will run on the users desktop and show the various updates like new strong bad email or new toon or whatever. That would be awesome. Widgets will be even more popular when Vista comes out and even people without Vista can use them using yahoo widget engine.

I already have a test version running but the RSS should be dynamically generated by a php script that runs off of hrwiki.org and whoever does the updates to the update page would just fill out a form that would be stored in a database that the php script would generate the RSS feed from. I can do that too. I just need ideas on what the widget should look like because I am not a creative person, I can do the code and draw the pictures. I just can't visualize what would look good :).

David

Johnny Ord'nary wrote:
In case anyone's interested, I put together one of these for the Opera browser over the weekend. I'm sure an equivalent could be put together for Yahoo!, and mine should be repackagable for Mac Dashboard without too much trouble.

Anyone want to collaborate?

Same Person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:03 pm 

what? explain.