Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Possible Troll Alert dealio thingamajigger
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:57 am 

Location: living in the sunling, loving in the moonlight, having a wonderful time.
So, a problem that we all have probably experienced at some point or another is whenever a troll runs through here and does his damage, a lot of his immediate damage isn't noticible in the forums, largely in part due to people posting after said troll with posts along the lines of "augh a troll don't read this!" This as we know doesn't suffice, and while the modadmin team is usually spot on in cleaning up, there is still a gap of time in between the attack and the cleanup afterwards. Sometimes that's not a problem if the troll wasn't a very bad in his postings, but for an attack akin to Elite Hacks or Flagstaff for example, there could be some potentially harmful/offensive material floating around that many/most of us don't want to see, and for the younger users shouldn't be seeing.

Therefore, I propose the idea of a Troll Alert thread. We could have one for each forum, and it would be used in times when an attack comes. A detailed explanation wouldn't be needed, just a heads up to users on the lines of "Such and such a user is trolling at such and such a time and date, it's really bad (or whatever level) go about your normal posting at your own risk until cleanup occurs." This thread would be allowed to fall back however many pages, and then bumped as neccesary, so once it resurfaces, users can know to be careful, or simply come back later.

We've been pretty good about not being trolled, but there have still been some bad hits, and this idea just hit me a day or so ago. Does anyone think this would be a good thing to try?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:23 pm 

The best course of action when there is severe trolling is to get on freenode.net IRC channel #hrwiki and notify one of the wiki sysops. They will then pass it on to Tom or It's dot com if they are online, who will then go into action.

For other less-severe trolling, well, if the trolling is blatant and it's obvious that it should be deleted, the same rule should apply. Come get me or Tom or It's dot com; don't wait for us to show up.

For other minor types of trolling, that is, things that don't harm the faint of heart or the faint of butt, it would probably be best to PM an active moderator (ramrod is always a good choice, or Didy, or SR), and they will pass it along to the mod/admin team if they themselves are unable to clean the trolling up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:47 am 

But if the line of action is to alert the sysops then the admins, there's a hearty amount of time in which the common users don't know about the trolled thread. The entire suggestion is about letting all of us know there's a troll abouts, and not to enter this thread or that thread. I'm totally with you Cap'n.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:48 am 

They're not that hard to spot. Just use common forum sense and don't click on troll threads. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:54 am 

Location: Trapped inside a cage. It isn't even locked, but I'm an idiot.
Not all trolls post new threads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:10 am 

Jello B. wrote:
Not all trolls post new threads.
Well, with forum trolls, just pm any of us mods. We can delete the posts, and then inform an admin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:31 am 

You guys aren't addressing why Capt. Ido came up with this thread idea. Other users might stumble on it. It's not a warning to mods, but to users.

Not that I care or anything. I'm just defending truth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:45 am 

What we need is some giant horn on the top of a hill that a little shepherd boy, upon seeing the troll army approaching, runs as fast as he can towards and blows to alert the village.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:28 am 

Well, sure, I mean if it doesn't look like a mod or admin will be able to quickly eliminate the trolling, then creating a new thread would be helpful to warn users. It would be much appreciated by all users if it would be discussed in a calm, rational manner, of course (panicking is discouraged). I don't think it's necessary to have a troll thread stickied in each forum because they would rarely be used, if ever.

In the meantime, practice logging onto IRC #hrwiki. Make sure you are able to do it quickly so you can help us help you as soon as possible. Information about logging in to IRC can be found here. You can use chat.hrwiki.org if you have nothing else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:42 am 

Simon Zeno wrote:
What we need is some giant horn on the top of a hill that a little shepherd boy, upon seeing the troll army approaching, runs as fast as he can towards and blows to alert the village.

peasants are more efficient and don't need pay.[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:40 am 

BazookaJoe wrote:
In the meantime, practice logging onto IRC #hrwiki. Make sure you are able to do it quickly so you can help us help you as soon as possible.

I've still got it bookmarked from back when I used to go there.