Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:03 am 

Jello B. wrote:
This man is right. The forum got filled with stupid and took away all our lulz.
I thought it got Filled with Serious and then took it all away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:05 am 

Serious=stupid in this case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:05 am 

Mr. Sparkle wrote:
But then whats actual Stupidity?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:07 am 

Choc-o-Lardiac Arrest wrote:
Mr. Sparkle wrote:
But then whats actual Stupidity?
I'm always here to shift the balance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:07 am 

Location: Trapped inside a cage. It isn't even locked, but I'm an idiot.
Seriousness.

We just said that serious is equal to stupidity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:08 am 

Jello B. wrote:
Seriousness.

We just said that serious is equal to stupidity.
Then where is seriousness?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:07 pm 

Gawd this [s]thread[/s]entire forum went hostile overnight :rolleyes:
Oversimplifications and strange leaps of logic all around. But it IS just a thread. Really. It's a thread that's annoyingly three or more threads in one, but a just a thread.

The seriousness issue is something else more complicated, especially when the people who decry seriousness are themselves ridiculously serious about other things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:58 pm 

You have a very valid point, there, Tiger.

I've been giving this problem some thought: first of all, I think you guys need to consider what it is you expect from the thread. When Hi Guys started it, it was intended to be just what he said: a thread for unrestricted discussion of various topics. And it seems to have been popular specifically because that's what it was.

One problem I've seen here is that some of you are complaining about people posting things that really belong in other threads. And yet, when someone inevitably points this out, they are usually met with the sarcastic response, "It's a RANDOM Topic! Anything goes!" And yet, from the discussion on this thread right here, that's exactly what you're complaining about. :rolleyes:

(a good example would be when people post YouTube videos or image macros - if they fit the gist of the conversation, it makes sense, but otherwise, those things really should go elsewhere).

As for the thread itself, if you dislike it so much, don't post there. Let the thread die. But as long as people keep posting there - as long as it doesn't result in spamming and flame wars - we're most likely going to let them.

We already have threads for people to discuss what's going on in their lives. "How are you feeling?", "Pet Peeves", etc., can be used for this purpose. So I agree: people probably should post that kind of stuff elsewhere. (For example, if someone wants to say, "Happy Birthday To Me!", they should post in the Birthday thread, not in Random Thoughts. But when I point this out, it's "ZOMG! Meen ol Mod yoozin Rool Wun!")

So my advice to you is this: figure out what you want from the thread, and if it's not meeting your expectations, then start your own for that purpose. You want random funny stuffs, then start a thread called "Random Funny Stuffs". You want personal life discussion (which isn't already covered by a million threads already), then start a thread called "Personal Life Stuff".

But I see no reason we Mods should go around locking threads that people actually enjoy posting in (other than spamming or flaming, of course).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:18 pm 

Didy wrote:
As for the thread itself, if you dislike it so much, don't post there.

Heh, I tried that. It's really not possible if you want to be a part of this community at all. So I'll complain when someone brings up the issue, otherwise waddayagonnado?

Didy wrote:
We already have threads for people to discuss what's going on in their lives. "How are you feeling?", "Pet Peeves", etc., can be used for this purpose. So I agree: people probably should post that kind of stuff elsewhere. (For example, if someone wants to say, "Happy Birthday To Me!", they should post in the Birthday thread, not in Random Thoughts. But when I point this out, it's "ZOMG! Meen ol Mod yoozin Rool Wun!")

They screwed up, who cares what they think? The post should get moved or deleted.

Didy wrote:
You want personal life discussion (which isn't already covered by a million threads already), then start a thread called "Personal Life Stuff".

That's a good point, but brings up another thing. There's the Random Thoughts problem of being too general, but then there's the zillions of threads problem of being too specific. If you want to say anything on a slightly different topic from any of the threads on the first page, you have to go searching. That's too much trouble, so people just throw it in Random Thoughts, contributing to the problem there. Maybe I'll make some merged-topic threads sometime and see how they work out. I would've done that already, but that's quite a big assumption. Basically "HAY GUYS, EVERYONE, LET'S RUN THIS FORUM THE WAY I THINK IT SHOULD GO!!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:45 pm 

We need to go to the underground War Room to discuss this matter AT ONCE.

Also:
Inverse Tiger wrote:
The seriousness issue is something else more complicated, especially when the people who decry seriousness are themselves ridiculously serious about other things.

Yeah, what he said. Especially when the "other things" are non-seriousness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:06 pm 

Whoa, drama thread here. Let me try to add my own opinion without seeming like a jerk. I might be playing Devil's Advocate here, but whatever.

Inverse, I agree that people need to be more aware of the fact that there are other threads than Random Thoughts to post in.

However, I highly disagree that the mods need to step in and enforce this. I disagree that they need to start moving/deleting posts. Nor do I think the thread needs to be locked/ended. Seeing as this one topic has the most pages out of all our other threads, I infer that many people actually like this thread. Sure, there are a ton of posts there that should probably be in other threads (such as the whole Map Battle going on now - I'm planning to make an A&C thread to divert it out), but I don't think that a couple of posts every so often are ruining this thread.

If you want these other "split threads" to come into existence, look through the forum: I'm sure that they're already there. All those "What are you doing right now?" threads exist (though I'm personally not fond of having like ten of them, I've said in the past that they should be all merged into one). The "How was your day?" thread is essentially "How are you feeling?". The YouTube thread already exists.

And as for conversation, why NOT let that go in Random Thoughts? If someone says something essentially "random", and a conversation grows out of it, what's wrong with that? That is what I believe the point of the thread was intended to be. And once the forumers get weary of that topic, it changes to something else completely random. The only thing that shouldn't be in Random Thoughts is pointless spam like "I like chicken!!! Lol!! AWESOME!!!". That's ZOMG RANDOM!!, but it defeats the real purpose of the thread.

To me, the only problem with Random Thoughts is that people are too ignorant or too lazy to find the appropriate thread and post it in there. I think this can be solved by encouraging using the Search function and making use of the other threads. I think we need to lead by action. I DON'T think we need the mods to police the thread. Because if the mods attempt to track down every post that could possibly belong in another thread, it will be a huge waste of their time and they won't be able to do their job on the other forums, since they'll be so focused on Random Thoughts.

Random Thoughts does not need to be locked or ended in any way. It does need to be reformed, but I think that this can be done by us, without the mods having to step in and policing everything that goes on. Sure there'll be a few things that could go in other threads, but as long as that's kept to a minimum, I say notify the user about it, and let the thread go on.

See, I can still give insight into things that might better the forum. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:54 pm 

Basically I agree with you. As I said, I changed my opinion since the WFWF post from NO COMPLETELY RANDOM CONVERSATION THREAD BLAAAHH!!! to Yeah, it's cool and obviously serving SOME kind of purpose, just everything else needs to get split out from it.

And we also agree we need to use the topics that are already there, but there are really too many other topics so some of them should be merged. Like I said, I'll make some of these topics, but it's quite an assumption on my part. I'd like to hear something from a mod about it first.

I don't think the mods will get bogged down in policing Random Thoughts. Mods will do what they feel they have time for, and do the more important things first. They probably won't have time to deal with small potatoes like that most of the time anyway. I'm just saying they shouldn't be shy. So maybe I do disagree with you there.

How's this: anyone who agrees with this sentiment, if you see someone try to start up something in RT&I that obviously belongs in another thread, especially talking about something that happened to them that has nothing to do with the current conversation, tell them to GB2 the other thread. Don't continue that conversation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:34 am 

If you want people to post in the other threads, than go ahead and revieve them and start posting in them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:53 pm 

wtf, why does it matter? Random thoughts is the only thing anything happens in these days....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:05 pm 

That's the problem.

But yeah, whatever, it was just the complaint of the week and I just happened to agree this time :p It doesn't really matter.