Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Edited by Stu- Enough with the long posts, Seriously
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:01 pm 

Now, I'm going to bring this up the moment that will follow this introduction as lightly as possible because many of the mods were annoyed by it, and heck, well nobody liked it.

But I'm going to start out by saying, that ever since some time ago, some users got the idea into their heads that making long posts would be cool, especially stuff that had no formal value.

BIG, LONG, HUGENORMOUS POSTS I'M TALKING HERE!

Guilty as I am with this crime, I apoligize for one of those darker moments, as some of you may remember, I posted a very, very, very, long Gabbly conversation. Many other people, thinking of themselves as complete and utter heroes for doing this thing, decided to 'quote' this mass of text, and it was more than once. Eventually this lead to a brok'd forum page (this is actually very common among different forums), many angry forumers, deleted posts, the blame being solely placed on me by some people and a very heated aftermath.

*shudders* Yes I know, it still haunts me.

I'm sorry that happened, however I'm NOT sorry that I protested, for after rereading the whole thread, it seems I'm not the only one guilty of posting long chats. http://forum.hrwiki.org/viewtopic.php?t=7371&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

And all that got was some measly warning by MHG, how fair is that?

All I suggest is that we state rules in place, so that absolutely NO ONE has to endure that trying task of scrolling past. So...feedback?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:05 pm 

Location: Inside of a shirt,underwear,pants,shoes and under a hat
Why? The only place where such a rule would come in handy would be the gabbly thread, where people might post conversations. What about infinite canvas? I know extremejon used that with his one GMod comic. I say, if the long post has meaning, it can stay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:05 pm 

Location: All the way on the other side of the internet. Really.

Can you elaborate, cause I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:09 pm 

Color Printer wrote:

I'm saying some posts (I'm sure not only in the gabbly thread) are just way too long, even if they do have the meaning, no one's gonna read it, so techinically it's almost SPAM, and yes I know there's a rule for that, but I say specifics, posts that are way too long.

WAAAAY TOOOO LONNNNGG!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:33 pm 
Hey Buhubs, scroll bars are pretty easy to use.

Anyway, I usually don't see any posts beyond R&P sized outside of R&P, and those posts aren't too hard to scroll through, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:54 pm 

buhubs wrote:
Color Printer wrote:

I'm saying some posts (I'm sure not only in the gabbly thread) are just way too long, even if they do have the meaning, no one's gonna read it, so techinically it's almost SPAM, and yes I know there's a rule for that, but I say specifics, posts that are way too long.

WAAAAY TOOOO LONNNNGG!
So then a long thought out post about why Goats faint for no reason would be considered spam? Or the science behind the fact that Santa Clause died in 1963 is spam?

Ohh god, my mouse rolling finger...it..it hurts to high heaven! Oh gawd, call an ambulance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:58 pm 

I agree in a way - long gabbly chats like that should be broken down so that only the important or funny things are posted, because you're right, not many people are going to read the whole thing. However, while the gabbly incident (where you posted and everyone quoted) was outrageous and uncalled for, it was months ago. And the link you posted to ELSR's chat was over a year ago. I think you're addressing a problem that doesn't exist anymore. If you can point to some posts where you think it's still a problem, then maybe we could do something about it, but it dopesn't seem like an issue right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:29 pm 

You're all forgetting one tiny tiny problem: NOBODY USES GABBLY ANYMORE EXCEPT ME AND THE AIR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:47 pm 

Buhubs, nearly ever topic you make is a long gigantic paragraph.

it's not that much of a problem. Sure, people could shorten stuff up. But will it blow up the forum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:47 pm 

The reason for editing the long post had absolutely nothing to do with the spam-ity-ness of the post. The simple fact was the length of the post was causing the forum to break (the same way that quote trees cause havoc).

I had no problem with your post except that it was hurting the overall performance of the forums. If you want to post long posts, just keep that in mind. (Perhaps post a shorter intro, a couple of informative replies, and maybe a closing reply)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:31 pm 

Lawl, this is the most pointless thread I've seen in a long time.

And I went to General Discussion today, so that's saying something.