Homestar Runner Wiki Forum

A companion to the Homestar Runner Wiki
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Stop being jerks, now.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:12 pm 

This needs to stop.

Whenever you guys have a point, you do, you just need to solve it, less negatively.

Not through, facepalms, GTFOs, or anything that intends to put a negative mood into the person you are talking about.

That isn't what being a community is all about, you need to respect one another, explain your points through non anger-filled and calm debate, and stop alienating people just to build up your own self esteem.

I know nothing of the personal lives you lead, nor do I need to, but I'm just thinking that maybe it's because you got a sucky deal in your own life, you need to take it out on others, this should not be the case, I give condolence for any hard times you have but that is absolutely no reason to bottle them up them shower them on some random stranger on the internet.

That's all.

We are an internet community and what I suggest is that we stop acting like a step all over each other world and start acting like neighbors towards one another, if you don't have anything nice or respectful to say...

...don't say anything at all.

Consider it.

Post subject: Re: Stop being jerks, now.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:15 pm 

I'm not saying that I care about how I'm treated on the Internet, but I agree.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:16 pm 

While I admit that many of the users were being a bit too harsh in that thread, it is just the general way this Forum works. The thread wasn't really necessary, so you have a wave of users saying that it's not necessary in their own way.

Please don't take offense to it. There can be change, but the users work in their own way, and this is commonplace.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:16 pm 

Hmm, let me consid-

No.

You know what? I'll stop being a meanie-pants if you learn to take it like something more than a three year old. Don't take everything so seriously. Chill out. All that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:21 pm 

DS_Kid wrote:
While I admit that many of the users were being a bit too harsh in that thread, it is just the general way this Forum works. The thread wasn't really necessary, so you have a wave of users saying that it's not necessary in their own way.

Please don't take offense to it. There can be change, but the users work in their own way, and this is commonplace.

This is unbelievable.

I mean c'mon dude, it's like being stabbed in the arm by someone and saying to them 'Eh, it happens.'

Yeah, maybe not that extreme, but it's a basis of a better comparison somewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:22 pm 

Rusty wrote:
Hmm, let me consid-

No.

You know what? I'll stop being a meanie-pants if you learn to take it like something more than a three year old. Don't take everything so seriously. Chill out. All that.

Hear, hear! You made a bad thread and so we all collectively facepalm'd and went "You're a... ugh." and that's your punishment. From that you can derive that your thread was useless or horrible. It's simple stuff.

Quote:
'Kay, I see this went nowhere, just got a little irritated about all the inside jokes that were going on there.

So what, got a little out of hand.

It just frustrated me, you guys won't open up, like now, just stay in your cluster of certain people and reject all the newbies.

Yet I can see why this needs a lock.

Still, no need to be so harsh.

We don't reject newbies. We reject idiots.

Last edited by MikeMcG on Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:23 pm 

DS_Kid wrote:

^This.

Honestly, chill.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:27 pm 

Chill?

What would you do if an insult was made on your character and whatnot?

People come on forums to talk about common interests, have a good time, and listen to one another.

This is not it, we are not acting like a community, it is unacceptable that people have to treat each other like targets instead of friends or just people.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:27 pm 

The Great Clapper wrote:
I mean c'mon dude, it's like being stabbed in the arm by someone and saying to them 'Eh, it happens.'

Lol wut?

That doesn't relate to this at all. Horrible comparison.

Quote:
What would you do if an insult was made on your character and whatnot?

I would take it like a man and deal with it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:31 pm 

We aren't treating people like targets.

Usually.

As I said before, you have the select few who prefer to act in their own way to state a message. Them posting facepalms and "GTFO" generally means that your post wasn't really necessary, or just useless. It's no big deal, it happens more rarely than it used to, and it surely doesn't effect the overall workings of this Forum.

I apologize if they hurt your feelings or anything, but the internet is full of people who you can interpret as "jerks". The community can change, sure, but the rules are generally more lax at this day and age, and tightening them up again will cause a bunch more issues to unfold.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:36 pm 

The internet is not for people with little to no backbone. Why? Because the people who have to hold back in real life can be loose on the internet. So it's hard for people who get offended easily to survive.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:38 pm 

I have noticed that the Modmins have been letting more rude stuff slide lately, and even be rude themselves sometimes. While there is nothing wrong with being rude on the internet, I really don't think that here is a place to be rude to people. The Rules even say to play nicely.

Last edited by Chekt on Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:41 pm 

I agree, but let me say this:
When I do it, it's in good, clean, wholesome fun. I don't mean to say "you're an idiot" or make people feel like they are. Just saying.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:43 pm 

DS_Kid wrote:

This.

Quote:

Getting replies with images of faces in palms on a Homestar Runner forum is like getting stabbed in the arm? That reminds me of Mathgrant and the tyrrany we imposed upon him or something like that. Anybody remember what it was? It starts with an s I think.

Quote:
I apologize if they hurt your feelings or anything, but the internet is full of people who you can interpret as "jerks". The community can change, sure, but the rules are generally more lax at this day and age, and tightening them up again will cause a bunch more issues to unfold.

I liked it when rules were tighter. People caused a ruckus? That's a ban. Spamming in non-RT? That's a ban. General annoying? That's a paddlin' ban. But hey, to each his own.

Quote:
I have noticed that the Modmins have been letting more rude stuff slide lately, and even be rude themselves sometimes. While there is nothing wrong with being rude on the internet, I really don't think that here is a place to be rude, to people. The Rules even say to play nicely.

Yeah, I can point out a few instances too, although I don't have the time to dig it up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:00 pm 

Great idea! Let's all be friends! Yay!

HOMESTAR RUNNER: Keeeep ooon huggin' it.

STRONG BAD: How did you get me to do this in the first place?

HOMESTAR RUNNER: Hug it! Hug it!

STRONG BAD: And why do I continue to do it?

HOMESTAR RUNNER: Keep on huggin' it. Hug it down.

STRONG BAD: I don't even like this tree that much.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:01 pm 

Location: Inside of a shirt,underwear,pants,shoes and under a hat
The Great Clapper, all I can say to you right now is this:

Stick around for one year, then look back on all of these posts. Seriously, I think everyone hates their older posts.

Ramrod used to write in all blue all the time.

Acekirby13. ModestlyHotGuy. Bwave.

They are all shadows of our former selves.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:02 pm 

I wish the Purge never happened just so I can look at my old posts and go..

sigh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:09 pm 

bwave wrote:
The Great Clapper, all I can say to you right now is this:

Stick around for one year, then look back on all of these posts. Seriously, I think everyone hates their older posts.

Ramrod used to write in all blue all the time.

Acekirby13. ModestlyHotGuy. Bwave.

They are all shadows of our former selves.

ThisX100. My older posts were incredibly lame.

The Noid wrote:
I liked it when rules were tighter. People caused a ruckus? That's a ban. Spamming in non-RT? That's a ban. General annoying? That's a paddlin' ban. But hey, to each his own.
ಠ_ಠ

Noid, I thought you were against that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:14 pm 

Every time I would look at old posts, I would go "Sheesh, this idiot isn't banned y- oh yeah"

If I came here like I was back then now, I would probably be facepalm'd more than any of you.

Quote:
Noid, I thought you were against that.

Eh, it's a little bit half and half. I think that rules should still be enforced, but less enforcement than the old times isn't a bad thing. Things were actually really strict back then, I'm surprised I wasn't banned (pretty sure I got close though)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:18 pm 

Chekt wrote:
While there is nothing wrong with being rude on the internet, I really don't think that here is a place to be rude to people. The Rules even say to play nicely.

This is true.

My take it on: the thread was unnecessary and, in a sense, spammy. But so were the replies to it.